So is the Hyperion Wharf project dead?

RSoxNo1

dtdchairlift.png

How about a chairlift added to dtd to avoid the problems with PI being an obstacle to those traveling between the marketplace and the westside.

Or a monorail or a peoplemover?

lazyboy97o

As (reported) crime statistics are public record ....

PPOR.
The Walt Disney Company had the Orange County Sheriff remove the reports from the official records, just like they had the Orlando Sentinel remove all of the drunk driving articles from their archives. :brick:

flavious27

Anything to improve traffic flow between the two. What a design flaw this ended up being. Say what you want, but I think this ultimately was one of the reasons the turnstyles had to go - so people could get from west to east. Ultimately that proved fatal.

I have been to PI pre and post turnstyles. It was awful (in my mind) post. A lot of controlled fun (NYE party) was gone and it was just a place to loitter.

Looking for a nice entertainment mix in the future.

Agreed, they could have done alot to solve the problem beside just closing down the clubs on PI.

Or a monorail or a peoplemover?

Could also, though cost and space would need to be factored in.

MarkTwain

Anything to improve traffic flow between the two. What a design flaw this ended up being. Say what you want, but I think this ultimately was one of the reasons the turnstyles had to go - so people could get from west to east. Ultimately that proved fatal.

I have been to PI pre and post turnstyles. It was awful (in my mind) post. A lot of controlled fun (NYE party) was gone and it was just a place to loitter.

Looking for a nice entertainment mix in the future.

It's amazing how this problem could have been completely avoided if Disney had only instead built the West Side development on the parking lot south of Pleasure Island. Then guests could get from any of the three districts to another without passing through another district. If that were the case, we would likely still have the Adventurers Club and the PI ticketing system right now.

MAF

Wasn't JT warned by the mods explicitly to not post in the Pleasure Island/Hyperian Wharf thread? I mean seriously, all he wants to do is stir the pot. He's never even been to Pleasure Island so his opinion is invalid. Next...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Wasn't JT warned by the mods explicitly to not post in the Pleasure Island/Hyperian Wharf thread? I mean seriously, all he wants to do is stir the pot. He's never even been to Pleasure Island so his opinion is invalid. Next...

I don't know, let me send him a PM....oh wait....:eek:

Victor Kelly

thank you.

I would like to see select clubs return. I have never been to the Adventurer's club, and would have loved to have gone. It is a shame to see that area with nothing to do. I mean they did build a walkway around and under PI to go from the West side to DTD, then closed it off when they opened PI completely.

But I remember a time when PI was not there, neither was West End and they were both woods and swamp. So I date myself really badly don't I?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
thank you.

I would like to see select clubs return. I have never been to the Adventurer's club, and would have loved to have gone. It is a shame to see that area with nothing to do. I mean they did build a walkway around and under PI to go from the West side to DTD, then closed it off when they opened PI completely.

But I remember a time when PI was not there, neither was West End and they were both woods and swamp. So I date myself really badly don't I?

I remember that as well. The excuse that they closed it to make access between the two areas easier is just that...an excuse.

tirian

Sorry to add fuel to the fire, but PI closed because it wasn't profitable. I know Lee, Martin, and Steve have said it too. I know some people passionately insist PI was "always" busy when they visited—usually on a Thursday night—and there's no way it wasn't profitable.

PI was dying for years before Disney removed the turnstiles. After they did that to encourage business, PI died even more, because who wants to party when surrounded by kids and families?

There's no conspiracy. No evil master plan. Disney wasn't willing to follow wilder trends in nightlife and PI was tame by today's standards. PI wasn't profitable and Disney closed it. That's all.

To get back on topic with Hyperion Wharf, I wouldn't believe any announcement until the stores and rec centers actually opened for business. Some of what has been announced and leaked is already being renegotiated. People's spending patterns have changed with the recession, and Disney really isn't sure what to put into their bold, new vision...

...Except for seed and mulch.

71jason

Sorry to add fuel to the fire, but PI closed because it wasn't profitable. I know Lee, Martin, and Steve have said it too.

Can you point to specific posts (particularly from Lee)? Even VP Kevin Lansberry admitted PI was profitable in the month or so before it shut down. As does everyone I've known who worked there.

People's spending patterns have changed with the recession, and Disney really isn't sure what to put into their bold, new vision...

Again, the economy can't be blamed for the failure of DtD (or Flamingo Crossing)...not when the economy in the other touristy section of Orlando is going gangbusters. I-Drive had no trouble attracting Dave & Busters, Tilted Kilt, Joe's Crab Shack, Brick House Grill, Ice Bar... West 192 has exploded with new restaurants in the last year and a half. People are looking to open new businesses...just not on Disney property.

tirian

Can you point to specific posts (particularly from Lee)? Even VP Kevin Lansberry admitted PI was profitable in the month or so before it shut down. As does everyone I've known who worked there.

There was a spike right before PI closed, but Disney hadn't considered Pleasure Island profitable since 2004 and had been looking to close it long before the official announcement. I don't recall Kevin's saying that, though I'm sure he did if you're saying so.

I'm sorry, I don't have time to search. :( I'm not trying to be rude; I really don't. There have been so many threads about PI that we'd have to wade through thousands of posts.

Long story short, rumors began circulating in 2004 that Disney wanted out of the club business. In 2005, they had several meetings about shutting down PI and word started leaking out to the island's CMs. The only reason given was that the island wasn't profitable. When they later announced it internally, Disney said it wasn't "meeting expectations"—business code for not making enough money. Then they said they'd shut down everything except the AC, which was later added to the chopping block too.

The idea that the island was secretly profitable but Disney just wanted to add more shops is an Internet myth based on the pithy excuses PR announced to the public. It's a long, sad story, but Disney didn't suddenly decide to close a money-making part of DTD simply because they didn't want the company's name a liquor license. Disney doesn't close restaurants or shops unless they aren't making money, and this was one of those times.

Again, the economy can't be blamed for the failure of DtD (or Flamingo Crossing)...not when the economy in the other touristy section of Orlando is going gangbusters. I-Drive had no trouble attracting Dave & Busters, Tilted Kilt, Joe's Crab Shack, Brick House Grill, Ice Bar... West 192 has exploded with new restaurants in the last year and a half. People are looking to open new businesses...just not on Disney property.
Those places don't charge as much as Disney. :wave:

Krack

PI was dying for years before Disney removed the turnstyles. After they did that to encourage business, PI died even more, because who wants to party when surrounded by kids and families?

I vehemently disagree. Disney did not remove the PI turnstiles to "encourage business". Disney removed the turnstiles because PI had become the convenient excuse as to why the Westside had become a spectacular failure. The truth was, there was nothing of interest on the Westside; no reason for people to want to walk all the way over there from the Eastside; and most importantly, no reason for businesses to want to lease over there. Rather than say "hey, we F'd up, we designed a terrible venue" they blamed it on PI blocking foot traffic. Six years later, PI is a ghost town and nobody still ever goes over to the Westside - maybe it wasn't the turnstiles' fault.

When they later announced it internally, Disney said it wasn't "meeting expectations"—business code for not making enough money.

Again, I disagree. This is Disney-corporate-speak for "We could be making so much more cash with this land if we just leased and collected rent, rather than having to run the places ourselves" (AKA they were lazy and uber-willing to take the non-creative way out). And that's what they did. And, of course, they were wrong. The land has sat there vacant and non-productive for years now.

The dual notions of "it was profitable" and "it was not meeting expectations" are not incompatible. They wanted "more than profitable", acted on it, and wound up losing money on a ghost town for several years. It's not a conspiracy to simply state management was inept. It was (and is).

jt04

There was a spike right before PI closed, but Disney hadn't considered Pleasure Island profitable since 2004 and had been looking to close it long before the official announcement. I don't recall Kevin's saying that, though I'm sure he did if you're saying so.

I'm sorry, I don't have time to search. :( I'm not trying to be rude; I really don't. There have been so many threads about PI that we'd have to wade through thousands of posts.

Long story short, rumors began circulating in 2004 that Disney wanted out of the club business. In 2005, they had several meetings about shutting down PI and word started leaking out to the island's CMs. The only reason given was that the island wasn't profitable. When they later announced it internally, Disney said it wasn't "meeting expectations"—business code for not making enough money. Then they said they'd shut down everything except the AC, which was later added to the chopping block too.

The idea that the island was secretly profitable but Disney just wanted to add more shops is an Internet myth based on the pithy excuses PR announced to the public. It's a long, sad story, but Disney didn't suddenly decide to close a money-making part of DTD simply because they didn't want the company's name a liquor license. Disney doesn't close restaurants or shops unless they aren't making money, and this was one of those times.

Those places don't charge as much as Disney. :wave:

I would just add that if Disney wants out of the club business because it does the 'brand' no favors than the whole question of profit or crowd flow or third parties or seed and/or mulch is really meaningless.

PS- I just wish you had posted this three years ago and I wouldn't have gone through so many keyboards.

tirian

I vehemently disagree.

Actually, we agree much more than you might think. :wave: Responses in red.

BTW, I regret posting anything in this thread simply because I'm tired of talking about PI. :lol:

Disney did not remove the PI turnstiles to "encourage business". Disney removed the turnstiles because PI had become the convenient excuse as to why the Westside had become a spectacular failure.
Right...to encourage business. PI was the scapegoat for the Westside's problems and the island's problems. That doesn't mean PI was profitable. It wasn't.

To play Devil's Advocate, where is your proof that the Westside is a failure? You're just saying it exactly like I'm just saying PI was. And unlike PI, Westside is still here. If Disney operates logically*, sales numbers must have proven something.

*and I'm certainly not saying they do. Believe me! :lol:

The truth was, there was nothing of interest on the Westside; no reason for people to want to walk all the way over there from the Eastside; and most importantly, no reason for businesses to want to lease over there.

You're 100% right about this. Westside is IMO boring and outdated. So is the Boardwalk.

You've also addressed DTD's biggest problem: transportation. Two little boats connecting hidden docks aren't convenient ways to encourage people to trek from World of Disney to the House of Blues. When WDW was first built, the company planned to install a Peoplemover system in the Village. Too bad that never happened.

Rather than say "hey, we F'd up, we designed a terrible venue" they blamed it on PI blocking foot traffic. Six years later, PI is a ghost town and nobody still ever goes over to the Westside - maybe it wasn't the turnstiles' fault.

But that was a problem with Westside and PI for years. Except for Thursday nights and some holiday weekends, PI was often a ghost town. I live here. I often walked through PI to get back and forth. It was nearly empty on most nights.

For decades, CMs only had free admission on Thursday nights. In the middle of summer 2006, Disney extended that to every day except Saturdays. Then they extended it to every single night. The company wouldn't have offered that if the clubs were already packed.

IMHO, Disney killed PI when they ripped out the turnstiles, dropped the nightly NYE celebrations, and marketed all of WDW as a kid's princess paradise.

Again, I disagree. This is Disney-corporate-speak for "We could be making so much more cash with this land if we just leased and collected rent, rather than having to run the places ourselves" (AKA they were lazy and uber-willing to take the non-creative way out). And that's what they did. And, of course, they were wrong. The land has sat there vacant and non-productive for years now.

You're right. That's exactly what they thought, because it works well in DTD California.

Keep in mind, Disney could have leased some of the clubs to outside operators. I've heard they tried and nobody was interested because Disney wanted to charge more than the operating partners could make. (This is only hearsay, though.)

The dual notions of "it was profitable" and "it was not meeting expectations" are not incompatible. They wanted "more than profitable", acted on it, and wound up losing money on a ghost town for several years. It's not a conspiracy to simply state management was inept. It was (and is).

The multiple notions of "it was not profitable" and "it was not profitable enough" and "it's hurting Westside" and "it wasn't attracting crowds" are probably all correct. This was obviously a shortsighted plan and knee-jerk reaction on TDO's part, and I think you and I can both agree with that.

EDIT: Definitely not trying to pick a fight with you, Krack. I respect your opinions and LOVE your avatar, which is more correct than you know. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom