So is the Hyperion Wharf project dead?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We will see. Disney clearly stated they were improving the HW concept (perhaps with a new name) and not going back to what was.

Also, I always thought the "Rix" might be miscast for the resort it is in. Another point though related is that the lack of customers at the resort clubs such as Rix or Jelly Rolls indicates to me that there isn't overwhelming demand for such establishments on property. What does seem to work is heavily imagineered environments that immerse guests in a theme. That is why Raglin and Ohana and Trader Sams work in my opinion. That is why HW is a winning concept.
I think the biggest reason that the resort clubs are not well attended is simply due to transportation. You can easily got to DTD from any resort on property. Going from resort to resort on the other hand is a bit more of a pain involving either a long multiple bus route or a cab. You would also be surprised at how many people simply do not know said clubs even exist or assume that because they are at a resort, they can not go to them.

flavious27

You do know that WoC cost 100 million to install, right? That likely does not include ongoing maintenance costs. PI never came close to being able to cover that kind of expense even in the early days.

Huh? My solution is adding 150,000 sq ft of retail space, not adding a clone to dca's nighttime show.

As for adding WOC, it would be difficult to and a $75 million mistake.

71jason

Also, I always thought the "Rix" might be miscast for the resort it is in.

I would agree, if it even had a theme any more. Classic example of not knowing what you want your business to be.

Another point though related is that the lack of customers at the resort clubs such as Rix or Jelly Rolls indicates to me that there isn't overwhelming demand for such establishments on property.

Jelly Rolls is actually remarkably popular, given the lower than Disney level of service and $10 cover. And Rix can get a crowd, when there is a convention in CSR (although it is dead otherwise). The only club that is perpetually dead is ADH. Several reasons:

*Lack of advertising. Based on talking to people who would come up to PI Live and ask about the clubs or where they can watch a game, the vast majority of WDW guests have never heard of the Boardwalk.

*Transportation. Last buses leave BW at midnight. Leave the club by 11:30 (when PI was just getting busy) or catch a cab.

*Parking. Locals hate BW and CSR because you have to go thru the hotel gate (a lot of people don't know you can it as a day guest, or just hate showing their license), and once you park, you still have a long hike to the clubs. I can understand not wanting to do that in heels and a miniskirt.

*Specific to ADH itself, much like Rix, it lacks a clear identity. It's nice, but not really themed, and the music is, to steal Zulemara's phrase, like a wedding. Just a hodge-podge. The place comes off as a dance club designed by a committee who never actually went to a dance club.

Just to illustrate the market, the last three Monday/Tuesdays, Mizners (in the Grand) has been slammed with over 200 Wells Fargo college interns getting out of orientation training at 9:30. Rather than overwhelming a bar not built for that size a crowd, how much better would it be to have buses waiting to take these kids straight to PI? WDW would make more money, guests would be happier, fire marshal wouldn't have to get involved...it once again makes me question how anyone connected to the closing of PI still has a job.

djkidkaz

Original Poster
Well he was the one that stepped in to plus Hyperion Wharf - hence the rework. It's been on his radar for some time.

Hey Steve, any word if they are still referring to it as Hyperion Wharf or is that name out the window now?

Also, any hints as to what type of changes we could be seeing? I notice your referring to it as a rework, which leads me to believe that much of HW is staying, but they are just adding some elements to it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom