So is the Hyperion Wharf project dead?

Mouse Detective

Unless of course they return to a "club scene" and run off a large percentage of those new customers.

Why do you keep saying that? The club scene doesn't even get started until 10pm and really not until way later than that. By then DTD family crowds have thinned out to virtually none. It seems that several of the former dance clubs could offer a restaurant concept during the day and early evening and then become a dance club later on, not causing any customers to be run off. That's what Splitsville is going to offer and others could as well. There is no reason the comedy club could not return either.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Why do you keep saying that? The club scene doesn't even get started until 10pm and really not until way later than that. By then DTD family crowds have thinned out to virtually none. It seems that several of the former dance clubs could offer a restaurant concept during the day and early evening and then become a dance club later on, not causing any customers to be run off. That's what Splitsville is going to offer and others could as well. There is no reason the comedy club could not return either.
ding ding ding!

MarkTwain

I prefer to use the term seed & mulch.

Your avatar suddenly just made sense in a horrifying new way... :cry:

I don't know Disney didn't consider a solution more like this in the first place. They could use what they successfully do on Disney Cruise Line as a model, by using the venues for different purposes based on time of day. Use the comedy club for some family shows in the afternoon and evening, and switch to more PG-13 content at night.

jt04

By operating later and catering to larger crowds and younger demos (20 somethings) you are going to get 'side effects' and ultimately negative headlines that the mouse hates.

Underage drinking will return in large measure. Also the same crimes that occured when PI was open necessitating substantial security measures. Increased drug activity associated with large dance clubs will also generate more crime.

It is a nice try to attempt to blur the lines between what a 'Splitsville' would offer and what a club like Mannequins offered but it really is apples and oranges. Smaller clubs with a dress code and a more controlled environment can work. Large clubs that promote "raves" and less crowd control that spills into the other areas of DTD will not work as has been proven time and again at DTD with PI.

DTD should be something different than what is found in nearly every town and city in the US. It should be classier and not base or common. For instance Disney controls the bookings at a place like House of Blues and that has worked well for DTD. After all we are talking about Disney here and not Vegas or South Beach.

And people playing like they can't see the difference have become borish here. The entire "moral equivalency' argument is just an act of desperation usually offered by those without a valid point of view. Children use it against their parents all the time. :rolleyes: :brick:

PI is gone and DTD is growing up. That is a good trend I think even Walt would appreciate. :)

Horizonsfan

Underage drinking will return in large measure. Also the same crimes that occured when PI was open necessitating substantial security measures. Increased drug activity associated with large dance clubs will also generate more crime.

So now PI isn't just troubled, it's 1980's Scarface Miami? :confused: Sure there was probably illegal substances at PI but I hate to break it to you, there are probably people at each of the parks on illegal substances each day (even some of the CMs might use it in their spare time :eek:)

Large clubs that promote "raves" and less crowd control that spills into the other areas of DTD will not work as has been proven time and again at DTD with PI.

Raves, really??? Were you at the same clubs as everyone else is talking about?

It's fine that your happy the clubs are gone. Its fine that you thought they were wrong to be there in the first place, but don't try to rewrite history to the point that PI sounds like one of America's largest drug dens. If that was the case Disney would have shut it down within years of opening not after nearly 20 years. :rolleyes:

jt04

So now PI isn't just troubled, it's 1980's Scarface Miami? :confused: Sure there was probably illegal substances at PI but I hate to break it to you, there are probably people at each of the parks on illegal substances each day (even some of the CMs might use it in their spare time :eek:)

It's fine that your happy the clubs are gone. Its fine that you thought they were wrong to be there in the first place, but don't try to rewrite history to the point that PI sounds like one of America's largest drug dens. If that was the case Disney would have shut it down within years of opening not after nearly 20 years. :rolleyes:

I know what I know and you seem to be oblivious to the increasing criminal activity that happened while PI was open. Including armed robberies. Please get better informed.

Bye for today :wave:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
25507.jpg

Kamikaze

I know what I know and you seem to be oblivious to the increasing criminal activity that happened while PI was open. Including armed robberies. Please get better informed.

As (reported) crime statistics are public record ....

PPOR.

Horizonsfan

:lol:

I'm not oblivious to anything. You're trying to insinuate that PI was just this haven of criminal activity it's whole existence, which is a complete fabrication of your own making. PI did have petty crimes towards the end, but you have greatly exaggerated how trouble the place was/is. Just as you seem to love to twist everything to meet your idea that "everything is now going to be just swell!" So I invite you to get better informed.

Buried20KLeague

I love your new tactic of dropping in just to p!ss a few people off, get in a couple posts, then proudly announce you're done posting.

But I understand. It must be tough to defend a baseless argument for any real length of time.

Oh, and then add to that intentionally logging out after you post, so it looks like you're not online anymore... When there's no WAY you aren't still watching what everyone's saying about what you posted.

Krack

You just answered your own question. No, he's never been to Pleasure Island (at least not prior to the turnstiles being removed). You're arguing with someone who's never been there. Ask him.

Now please stop quoting his posts for the sanity of those of us who properly have him on "ignore".

Mouse Detective

*Underage drinking was a problem at PI? That's a new one. Disney had the strictest controls of any bars anywhere.
*Drug activity happens. PI closing did not change that.
*More crime? My recollection is the robberies and people caught with guns happened AFTER PI closed.

DTD should be something different than what is found in nearly every town and city in the US. It should be classier and not base or common. For instance Disney controls the bookings at a place like House of Blues and that has worked well for DTD.
* I agree with you there. Whatever is offered should be incredible.
* Disney does not control House of Blues bookings. Where in the world did you dig that up?

My comments are posted above.

jt04

My comments are posted above.

Disney had some acts not appear due to content and the proximity of DQ and Cirque. If you check the HoB website you will see certain acts that make a circuit of the HoB chain but that won't appear at WDW. It is possible that HoB takes care of it so it doesn't become an issue as it has before. I am not saying Disney has to get directly involved as I think Disney was clear as to what was acceptable and what was not.

markc

Underage drinking WONT return in a large measure. Clearly you have NO idea what you are talking about. Underage drinking was a small problem at PI. It happened - but Disney had security at almost every corner watching the clubs like hawks and were quick to remove those that violated that.

Smaller clubs with a dress code and a more controlled environment can work. Large clubs that promote "raves" and less crowd control that spills into the other areas of DTD will not work as has been proven time and again at DTD with PI.

Again, you CLEARLY have no idea what you are talking about - and its fairly obvious you dont frequent clubs or establishments where drinking occurs. Smaller clubs with dress codes have the same amount of issues as those that dont. One need only go downtown in Orlando to find that out.

DTD should be something different than what is found in nearly every town and city in the US. It should be classier and not base or common. For instance Disney controls the bookings at a place like House of Blues and that has worked well for DTD. After all we are talking about Disney here and not Vegas or South Beach.

You are SO clueless, its not even funny!!!! Do you know House of Blues actually causes more problems than PI did on an average night?!?! (even with Disney controlling their bookings). The nights when HOB is a club, they have, per person, more problems than any of the clubs at PI ever did. And make no mistake - Disney only controls their bookings to an extent - their criteria for bands that can play there isnt strict by any means. PI had much more standards for the live bands that played there.

And how easy you forget that there was a murder at HoB....I dont think we can say the same happened at PI within the past couple years.

PI is gone and DTD is growing up. That is a good trend I think even Walt would appreciate. :)

DTD is maturing to the same extent as somebody who is mentally disability (not meant to offend anyone what-so-ever, but rather placing it in JT's context). Despite Disney's PR campaign to save face - DTD has actually performed poorly versus prior years. The amount of revenue Disney used to bring in dropped substantially once they lost their major vendors (Virgin, Planet Hollywood's second location, and all of PI). Walt, quite frankly, was a saavy businessman who would probably be disappointed in what is currently there - and thats a disjointed property with abandoned warehouses in between, wasting space, and revenue opportunity.

flavious27

By operating later and catering to larger crowds and younger demos (20 somethings) you are going to get 'side effects' and ultimately negative headlines that the mouse hates.

If they market the area to residents, then yes, but PI was suppose to be the nighttime entertainment for guests. They shouldn't have underage drinking if guest are getting their IDs checked before they purchase PI as an option.

Is there any news in this thread, I skimmed the last page and I see Tony Montana was a huge Adventure's Club fan and member.

Besides disney putting hw on hold indefinitely, nay.

Your avatar suddenly just made sense in a horrifying new way... :cry:

I don't know Disney didn't consider a solution more like this in the first place. They could use what they successfully do on Disney Cruise Line as a model, by using the venues for different purposes based on time of day. Use the comedy club for some family shows in the afternoon and evening, and switch to more PG-13 content at night.

Because the downtown management doesn't want to go down that logical path, they just to make PI and DTD an upscale version of your local mall. Excuse me the local, upscale walking strip mall.

flavious27

dtdchairlift.png

How about a chairlift added to dtd to avoid the problems with PI being an obstacle to those traveling between the marketplace and the westside.

JWG

How about a chairlift added to dtd to avoid the problems with PI being an obstacle to those traveling between the marketplace and the westside.

Anything to improve traffic flow between the two. What a design flaw this ended up being. Say what you want, but I think this ultimately was one of the reasons the turnstyles had to go - so people could get from west to east. Ultimately that proved fatal.

I have been to PI pre and post turnstyles. It was awful (in my mind) post. A lot of controlled fun (NYE party) was gone and it was just a place to loitter.

Looking for a nice entertainment mix in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom