Snow White to Close Thursday, May 31

Clever Name

IMG_3941.jpg

ºOº :wave:

aladdin2007

Any photos today of the walls up? Not that Im wanting to see the place all walled up but just wondering. Looks like it had a great final night last night, sad.

Buried20KLeague

Forgive my complete ignorance, but who is Ben?

You can read their blog here:

http://www.shmoolok.com/Blog/tabid/62/EntryId/3/SW1K-The-Full-Story.aspx

There are a lot of entries, and I couldn't quickly locate the best one to specifically explain it all, but I'm sure it's there.

EDIT TO ADD: Here's what Attractions Magazine had about him in their write-up:

The ride’s biggest fan has to be Ben, a teen with autism who first started riding when he was 9. Ben has always loved watching Disney videos, so his parents decided to bring him to Disney World. When Ben entered the park, his parents noticed a great change for the better. Ben was happy and smiling more than ever before. His first ride at the park was Snow White’s Scary Adventures. When his parents noticed the change the Magic Kingdom brought to their son, they moved to Orlando and began visiting the park often. All the cast members working the attraction know Ben and his family from their frequent visits. As his favorite attraction, Ben has ridden Snow White’s Scary Adventures more than 3,451 times. Who could be more deserving of the last ride?

MickeyPeace

I was there from 930-10pm for closing. My last ride ended a few minutes before 10. I will have my video up soon as well on Youtube. Wdwprince.

captainkidd

You can read their blog here:

http://www.shmoolok.com/Blog/tabid/62/EntryId/3/SW1K-The-Full-Story.aspx

There are a lot of entries, and I couldn't quickly locate the best one to specifically explain it all, but I'm sure it's there.

EDIT TO ADD: Here's what Attractions Magazine had about him in their write-up:

The ride’s biggest fan has to be Ben, a teen with autism who first started riding when he was 9. Ben has always loved watching Disney videos, so his parents decided to bring him to Disney World. When Ben entered the park, his parents noticed a great change for the better. Ben was happy and smiling more than ever before. His first ride at the park was Snow White’s Scary Adventures. When his parents noticed the change the Magic Kingdom brought to their son, they moved to Orlando and began visiting the park often. All the cast members working the attraction know Ben and his family from their frequent visits. As his favorite attraction, Ben has ridden Snow White’s Scary Adventures more than 3,451 times. Who could be more deserving of the last ride?

This just makes it all the worse that they closed the ride. If I thought Disney gave a crap, I'd say we should have petitioned the closing.

Tom

Beta Return
This just makes it all the worse that they closed the ride. If I thought Disney gave a crap, I'd say we should have petitioned the closing.

As heartwarming as Ben's story is (and I've been following it for a while and enjoy the nice things Disney does for him and his family), it may sound insensitive, but keeping a ride open for one person doesn't make a lot of sense.

Their timing doesn't make a ton of sense to me, and I wish SWSA was being replaced with another dark ride, but progress is progress. We're getting another Snow White attraction, so her original was destined to close as soon as that decision was made, unfortunately.

Tigger1988

As heartwarming as Ben's story is (and I've been following it for a while and enjoy the nice things Disney does for him and his family), it may sound insensitive, but keeping a ride open for one person doesn't make a lot of sense.

Their timing doesn't make a ton of sense to me, and I wish SWSA was being replaced with another dark ride, but progress is progress. We're getting another Snow White attraction, so her original was destined to close as soon as that decision was made, unfortunately.

Exactly.

captainkidd

I'm not saying they should have kept it open just for Ben. Don't get me wrong, it's very sad for him. I just think closing it in general was a poor decision.

I may be in the minority, but I'm starting to look at Disney and say to myself, is it the same place? They've taken out so many classic rides in recent years. Is my vacation dollar (which they want more for now) worth spending at a place that in some ways, is just a shell of it's former self.

Progress and change are inevitable, but there's a correct way to do it (see Disneyland), and an incorrect way to do it (WDW).

captainkidd

On a side note, kind of interesting that the Snow White ride closed yesterday, and the new Snow White movie opened today, and that movie was released by Universal.

Coincidence?

LongtimeReader

Progress and change are inevitable, but there's a correct way to do it (see Disneyland), and an incorrect way to do it (WDW).

While I understand the sentiment around this very common statement made on these forums, being a regular at both parks (but more often DLR) makes me want to chime in for a moment and say that while DL management has been on a very welcome upswing since Lasseter showed up, it hasn't always been that way, and in some spots still has glaring issues to work out. Examples: Alice in Wonderland having decorated scaffolding for 2.5 years with no fix in sight, an abandoned and rotting PeopleMover track (and a Tommorrowland that is a total mess in general), no "true" nighttime parade for 15 years, killing their own classic attraction Country Bears for a very subpar Pooh... While I'm happy that many things are improving (DCA mostly, but also finally replacing the long abandoned subs with Nemo subs and reopening Castle Walkthrough a few years back, plus all the nice plussing in so many areas), I think it's a little bit of an overstatement that so many people say that DL management can do no wrong. While you WDWers may be moaning (rightfully) about having the same two electrical parades for decades, remember that Disneyland hasn't had one at ALL for FIFTEEN years. And even DEP eventually going back into DCA had very infrequent showings since the park had such light attendance, and frankly it just wasn't the same when not rolling down Main Street anyway. DLR is absolutely enjoying a resurgence in quality and attention lately that definitely makes WDW the ugly stepsister, but you don't have to go back very far to remember when it was very, very much the opposite (and far more extremely so, in my opinion, as the neglect actually caused injuries and deaths.) And while DL proper has loads of nice plussing going on and the aforementioned reimaginings of subs and castle, there hasn't really been an all new attraction since Buzz Lightyear. In fact, since 1995 when Indy opened, the only new attractions have been Buzz and Pooh. In 17 years. Anything else has been a retheme or refresh, or a new fireworks show or day parade. And while MK hasn't exactly been churning out all winners, at least it's gotten some more attention with Philharmagic, Stitch, Monsters, Buzz, Pooh, Sorcerers, and the whole new Fantasyland coming up...as well as a few of the same newer elements and refreshes that DL employed to some of its rides. I agree that DL edges out MK in a lot of areas lately, but it's not such a simple generalization to say that Disneyland knows how to progress better than Disney World. If the current trend continues for a solid decade, then maybe I'll change my mind. But I truly believe that the pendulum will swing the other way eventually and back to the east coast, where it was not all that many years ago. If we're lucky they'll learn that they can actually show the same care for two domestic resorts equally, even!

But back to topic... It totally sucks that Snow White is gone. Never a favorite of mine, but eventually enough time passes where something goes from "stale and outdated" to "quaint and charming," and for me Snow White had become so old that it was almost refreshing in its simplicity. Fortunately we'll have a Martin tribute soon to keep the memories alive! :)

Lokheed

I'm not saying they should have kept it open just for Ben. Don't get me wrong, it's very sad for him.

For all it's worth, as far as that goes I think in the long run its good for Ben that the ride is gone. He's been winding down on it for a long time now (last night notwithstanding) and he really needed to let go. In the early days it made for an outstanding carrot to get him out in a public place, get used to noise and crowds, and learn other functional skills. But at a certain point it honestly wasn't doing him any favors to feed that obsession. The last year or two he used SWSA as a kind of hub to start from, but really spent most of his time in other areas of the park (or sometimes even other parks like Epcot or the Studios). Last night, however, we thought that he had earned himself one night of overload in order to say goodbye forever.

Sketch105

Not to interrupt yet another Disneyland vs. Disney World argument, but it's been two days and nobody has a picture of Snow White closed with the walls up??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom