Snow White to Close Thursday, May 31

Timekeeper

As for Tokyo Pooh... WOW! When it comes to maximum show quality and ride technology, I'd have to say that one is proportionately on par with Tower of Terror. Sadly, our "expansion" attractions, although newer, are a a big step backwards. :cry:

Buried20KLeague

As for Tokyo Pooh... WOW! When it comes to maximum show quality and ride technology, I'd have to say that one is proportionately on par with Tower of Terror. Sadly, our "expansion" attractions, although newer, are a a big step backwards. :cry:

Oh yeah??? Watch Disney Sea's Tower of Terror. :) My kids were screaming for a stuffed Shiriki the instant we got off.

Best in the world, IMHO.

LongtimeReader

The story begins with:
SWSA Final Night - Prelude

And I just posted the next entry:
SWSA Final Night, Part 1 - The Beginning of the End

I expect to post the next part sometime tomorrow.

After reading these first two parts, I'm waiting with SUCH anticipation for the next chapter!

I think you should know, Lokheed, that I've been following your family's story all the way from SW1K, and when I heard of Snow White closing a few years ago Ben was the very first person I thought of. I still don't yet know what magic transpired yet on Thursday night, but the fact that it was clearly awesome brings me such happiness. I literally have been spreading your story to tons of friends and we are all waiting on pins and needles to finally read the full story (and now, to see the film when it is completed!). I think Ben has become more of a hometown celebrity than you realize.

If I hadn't had to work Thursday night, I would have been there in person to see for myself, but instead I'm so grateful to you for sharing with us your well written blogs about the event.

MKCP 1985

AuUe_YFCAAApPpE.jpg:large

And I shall take small children by the hand, exit to my left and watch my step no more. . . forever.

AEfx

The "rotating witch" (mirror effect in the beginning of the ride) wasn't working on my last visit a couple of weeks ago. Was it repaired for the last leg of the ride's operation?

It was a common malfunction - they would get out of sync, and the CM would just have to go flip a switch from my understanding to "reset" her. I don't even think it required a 101.

"Was" a common malfunction. :(

The only thing keeping this from devastating me is that the Disneyland version is still there, which I personally find superior. But with how Mine Train is looking like a largely outdoor ride, and we haven't heard of any fun witch content - it seems like there was just no need to take it away. So many spots a meet and greet could have taken besides this ride, which required so little resources to run.

Todd H

Watch a YouTube video of tokyo's Pooh and you won't love WDW's anymore. :(

Wow. That looks amazing. Winnie the Pooh is my son's favorite ride (he's autistic as well so we end up riding it at least a dozen times each trip). I wish WDW's Pooh ride was as good as the one in Tokyo. :(

Buried20KLeague

Wow. That looks amazing. Winnie the Pooh is my son's favorite ride (he's autistic as well so we end up riding it at least a dozen times each trip). I wish WDW's Pooh ride was as good as the one in Tokyo. :(

And the video doesn't do it justice. Not a bit.

Check out video of the Dreamlights parade. It's even MORE awe inspiring.

Buried20KLeague

Notice, also, that there's no track!! Every time you enter the ride, you don't know what path you'll take. You come within inches of other cars the whole time. Fantastic ride. Simply fantastic.

I might point out that on the video, in the tigger bouncing room, tigger doesn't bounce... THE WHOLE ROOM DOES!!!! It doesn't come across on video well, but... WOW.

Sketch105

I agree. Once again Disneyland proves it can be the better park. With so little space, not only do they still have Mr. Toad, they also have winnie the pooh, snow white, and a bucketload of other dark rides WDW has never seen or will see. As big as MK is compared to DL, it's really pathetic. And all DL had to lose was a show for Pooh. Oh well, more of a reason to go to Disneyland instead.

Disneyland has been lucky to keep most of their original attractions for one thing- lack of prime real estate. The dark rides in Fantasyland take up so much little estate that when a new attraction needs to be built, Fantasyland seems to be the last place they ever look. Especially when they had a Paul Pressler ridden Tomorrowland and sad looking Bear Country or a field behind Fantasyland.

Add that to the fact that DCA has taken the majority of the attention away from DL since its opening in 2001 because it needed whatever rides Imagineering could conjure up to become a worth something. You can knock TDO for making bad decisions and taking out this ride and that, but TDA has done its fair share too. They built a whole park that was a mistake from the beginning.

If WDW had stuck to the original plans of FLE, then they wouldn't need to bulldoze Snow White for a meet-n-greet. But things changed and they still wanted there Princess M&G experience in the appropriate land for it- Fantasyland. I'm not a fan of the exchange. I'm not a fan of them taking out one ride for a meet-n-greet. But I can also see there line of thinking, and I'm looking forward to the charming mine-train ride.

You can say what you want about how MK is SO big, but they still have a footprint and have to abide by the land guidelines.

Unfortunately, SWSA was a victim of circumstance and bad timing. I loved the ride. I loved the old spookhouse atmosphere and the painted flat look of it. I adored the workmanship on the 3D characters that were barely animated. Unfortunately, SWSA was always seen as third banana in terms of popularity to other FL attractions such as Peter Pan's Flight, and TDO treated it as such with the queue line extensions for both Pooh and Peter but no upgrades to Snow. I will give you that.

Sadly the bosses at WDW have no nostalgia when it comes to rides. Remember WDW is not the park Walt built so it has more of the tourist feel. The removal of Snow White, Mr Toad and countless other rides instead of building is just the sad state of affairs in Orlando.

There is plenty of room to build especially since our park(s) are so much bigger than Disneyland and DCA. It really is a shame. :brick:

Animaniac93-98

I too enjoyed your video Martin.

Comparing it with the Tokyo ride, it looks like that version is a mix of WDW '71 and DL '83, with WDW from load until the cottage and DL from inside the cottage onward.

I wish I could have seen the WDW '71 version in person.

The Empress Lilly

As promised, my edit of both WDW versions of SWSA. The more recent version I think you'll agree is stunning quality.

http://www.martinsvids.net/?p=720
Thanks. :cry:

The new video is great HD! I am even more impressed by the old video: it was quite a feat twenty years ago to capture good footage in the dark with just the pre-digital portable equipment a visitor can reasonably bring along on a moving ride.

As for the ride, I miss both versions. I never really got used to the new version, but it was not without merit. Both were essential MK experiences. I had a strong emotional attachment to this ride.
Bah. It is a mistake to rip it out. :cry:

TP2000

Remember WDW is not the park Walt built so it has more of the tourist feel. The removal of Snow White, Mr Toad and countless other rides instead of building is just the sad state of affairs in Orlando.

There is plenty of room to build especially since our park(s) are so much bigger than Disneyland and DCA. It really is a shame. :brick:

It's very odd, isn't it? It's always baffled me. And now with WDW's Snow White closed for a meet n' greet (the same meet n' greet that Disneyland is also building where an old burger stand and dancefloor used to be), the classic dark ride count just got slashed by one third at WDW.

Fantasyland classic dark rides:

WDW - 2 (Pooh, Peter Pan)

Disneyland - 8 (Pooh, Peter Pan, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Pinnocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Roger Rabbit, Monsters Inc.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom