SM Closing for a Year?

voodoo321

I was so looking forward to my first ride on the Matterhorn but was SO disappointed when my teeth about jarred out of my head. SM (that's Space Mountain for those of you just tuning in without reading the rest of the thread) is nowhere close to being a rough ride compared to the Matterhorn...IMO.
Last rode Space Mountain in 2004 and Matterhorn in 2005, but that was my take on the two as well.

The Mom

Premium Member
If you have fond memories of this ride, you need to visit Busch Gardens Tampa. Cheetah Chase is basically the same ride profile. The sad part is, the ride will never be as good as you remember it.

It's been over 40 years since I rode it, so it may even be BETTER now. :lol:

New Horizons

My info on this doesn't come from a park CM, so I can't say for sure what they know or don't. My source simply stated that he was under the impression that people on the ground were already informed of the coming closure and some of the details.

This refurb has been bounced around for so long, on again - off again, that it's possible that the information has been floating around for quite some time in some circles.:shrug:

I confirmed generally this same info today. Talked to a wonderful source (Yes , I know..which Bus #)today. The SM refurb will make the ride a "New experience" in their words. I asked about a new track and they said "More than likely". Very vague I know but this person does not give up much. For them to comment things are in motion. They said they think at least a year on the rehab.They also gave me some interesting info on the Little Mermaid possibilities I posted under that thread.
This person is the real deal and loves their job thus the limited info.

PintoColvig

So what is meant by "new track"? Does it mean replacing existing equipment just to make the ride smoother or are we talking about a completely new layout/configuration?

Pete C

So what is meant by "new track"? Does it mean replacing existing equipment just to make the ride smoother or are we talking about a completely new layout/configuration?

Nobody knows the answer to that. They could re-do our existing layout with new track, give us Disneyland's version, or go for a completely original layout. Anyone's guess at this point.

darthjohnny

Didn't Disneyland only slightly modify their Space Mountain track at most? I've heard multiple stories, but from what I gather, they still have the same layout.

ToTBellHop

Didn't Disneyland only slightly modify their Space Mountain track at most? I've heard multiple stories, but from what I gather, they still have the same layout.
new track, nearly identical layout (some changes in banking and such, but generally the same ride). They also have a smaller building and everything is crammed in with the coaster wrapping around the queue. WDW has more room to work with should they choose to.

darthjohnny

new track, nearly identical layout (some changes in banking and such, but generally the same ride). They also have a smaller building and everything is crammed in with the coaster wrapping around the queue. WDW has more room to work with should they choose to.

Well, if that is the case, I don't really see WDW going to the trouble to completely change their layout, but you never know with these things.

cooleo

Regardless of what the mods might end up being, I for one can't wait to see what will be. While I agree that the current layout / configuration is Classic, There is nothing wrong with change. It's called Progress! :cool:

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
Of course - IMHO - if they are really going to "take it down for a year or more", why don't they go ahead and spend the money to make it "right". That way they won't have to have another rehab in the very near future to rehab the rehab. Know what I mean?

If you've been out to ride Disneyland's SM - I can tell you - the two years it was down - was VERY VERY VERY well worth it! The ride is amazing now - compared to what it was - it's darker, colder, way freaking smooth track, more stars, the audio music really does enhance the ride, etc etc.

I say - if you take it down for that long of a time period - make it worth it! Don't just "tweak" it - give the overhaul it truly needs and deserves!

Pete C

Yeah, at this point I think they should just overhaul it and make it so that it will last the next 30 years. If not from an intensity standpoint due to it being a family ride, make the ride the most technologically impressive from a theming perspective in all of Orlando. New displays in line, enclosed queue so the ride space is darker, new track, effects, etc. All I care about is that they keep the spirit of Space Mountain alive in that the ride features quick changes of direction, sudden drops and pops, and no loops. While I love loops on coasters, I just don't need that on SM. Music would be nice, but I didn't see any mention of audio in that list.

Disneyfan1981

I think a lot could be done to SpcMntn I don't it really needs to be. One thing is for sure whatever rehab it undergoes will definitely improve it over all especially after the DL rehab, that ride is great was definitely worth the wait, while nothing as extreme is being proposed I'm definitely looking forward to some official announcements of what is changing....

One question though, after reading all of this thread, is it or isn't it being closed for that long?

Buried20KLeague

Of course - IMHO - if they are really going to "take it down for a year or more", why don't they go ahead and spend the money to make it "right". That way they won't have to have another rehab in the very near future to rehab the rehab. Know what I mean?

If you've been out to ride Disneyland's SM - I can tell you - the two years it was down - was VERY VERY VERY well worth it! The ride is amazing now - compared to what it was - it's darker, colder, way freaking smooth track, more stars, the audio music really does enhance the ride, etc etc.

I say - if you take it down for that long of a time period - make it worth it! Don't just "tweak" it - give the overhaul it truly needs and deserves!

While I couldn't agree more that overall DL's SM is a much better experience overall, I seriously hope we don't get a clone of the track. WAYYYY too many right hand turns over and over.

With the extra space to work with in WDW's structure, one would hope that wouldn't be the case... But the easy money would be on re-building what they've already designed. Hopefully that won't be the case.

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
Oh, by no means did I want to imply I wanted a replica of DL's SM at WDW...

I just wanted to state that if they ARE going to rehab it, they need to go ahead and do it right - not piece mill it here and there.

Now would I like to see something of the same nature at WDW - definitly!
But not a clone of the same track, features, etc etc. I grew up going to DL and riding the mountain range on the West Coast - but love the fact that they are very different rides. I'm a bit partial to DL's SM as it is - love the one track and the side by side seating (makes you feel like you can experience it better with someone sitting next to you - I know..call me crazy/weird:hammer:).

And honestly - I've come to skip SM here lately when I visit - as it's just to rough a ride for me (especially in those "rockets"). Sooo, I'm all in favor of a huge rehab that will hopefully, bring our East Coast SM - back to the standards we've all come to know, and love, that the wonderful Imagineers are capable of doing!

DisneySam

You must have been dreaming, Martin.:snore:
I rode it on the 2nd and had a limp for a hour or so. Terrible.:mad:

It was really rough the last time I rode SM it was really rough, I am glad to hear they are showing it some TLC.

BTW Lee--- Love the Entourage ref in your location! Its my all time fave show!

Tim G

A little space birdy just whispered in my ear that the time frame for Space is looking like a June closure, being down anywhere from 12 to 18 months.

Rehabbing will take 9 to 12 months...

IF they get the budget...

Almost for sure:

Major station work. true
New trains. true
New track is still in play. (all depends on the fact of getting the new trains)
New effects. true
New pre/post. true
New control systems. (depending on the facts of getting the new trains & track)

IF the new trains are coming, they will need a new track since the track must be windened

Source: Me myself & I... (Salt King?)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom