SM Closing for a Year?

Kingdom WDW

Back to our regulary scheduled therad, I checked the closings of rides and attractions on the WDW site. It's not closing in March, so it must be later. (During my visit :()

Pete C

Alright, alright...I'm sorry. I guess it was a bit confusing with the "SM" title and some other posts. My apologies Charlie Brown. :)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Thanks for sayin that! Yeah and I'm sure lots of guys write in PINK!! (just kidding!)
I kinda prefer yellow, it's MUCH easier on the eyes.
You guys are taking the definition of a wild mouse coaster way too literally.
Like I said earlier, it's SIMILAR to a wild mouse, but definitions are "BY DEFINITION" meant to be take literally.

Yes most Wild Mouses have flat turns.

But Space Mountain still has small cars (which if the lights were on, the nose of the car could give the illusion that it was falling off the tracks), tight turns, sudden drops, quick fly-bys, the list goes on....
Not really.:lookaroun

nibblesandbits

The worst beating I took on a coaster was The Viper as Six Flags Great Adventure. SM is a little rough, but, I never came out with a headache or feelings of whiplash... With this refurb, I do hope they make it a bit smoother...
OT: I love Viper!

Edit: Wait...I think we're talking about two different Six Flags. Was this Viper a wooden coaster? :lookaroun

BrianNoble said:
I haven't been to Great Adventure yet. But, the Viper at SF Great *America* is just fantasic.

Yes, this is the one I was thinking of.

It is defintely not as harsh as The Boss is at Six Flags St. Louis! That one hurts me so much! (Yet, I still ride it...I don't understand.)

Space Mountain hasn't hurt me once. Maybe it's b/c I'm short. :lookaroun
Actually, Space is one of my favorite rides on property. I love all the whipping around.

darthjohnny

(I can't believe I'm using wiki as a source!:hammer:)

A Wild Mouse roller coaster (or Wildemous, Mad Mouse or Rat Run) is a type of roller coaster characterized by small cars, which seat four people or fewer and ride on top of the track, taking tight, flat turns at modest speeds, yet producing high lateral G-forces. The track work is characterized by many turns and bunny hops, the latter producing abrupt negative vertical G forces. When approaching a turn from a straight section the intended impression is that one will simply continue straight, and thus plunge off of the device, this since there are no transition sections as are in a conventional high speed coaster track and the turn itself is obscured upon close approach. Almost all Wild Mice feature "switchback" sections, consisting of several of these unbanked turns, separated by straight sections Usually, the turns on the switchback section are 180°, but some coasters feature 90° turns as well, and more rarely steep runs with loops​

Not really.:lookaroun[/quote]

Not really? What about this:

SpMt_superstructure_labeled.gif

By the definition you gve, that certainly looks like the "switchback" sections".

Hmm....:lookaroun

LudwigVonDrake

OT: I love Viper!

Edit: Wait...I think we're talking about two different Six Flags. Was this Viper a wooden coaster? :lookaroun

No, it was a steel coaster that has been removed (Thank God!). It was a very rough and painful ride but I still maintain that Scream Machine is the more painful ride of the two :dazzle:

AEfx

Back to our regulary scheduled therad, I checked the closings of rides and attractions on the WDW site. It's not closing in March, so it must be later. (During my visit :()

Just because it's not on the website doesn't mean anything either way. That's actually the last place to be updated with rehabs, actually - Disney isn't so good about that.

AEfx

Lee

Adventurer
You guys are taking the definition of a wild mouse coaster way too literally.

Sigh....
Ok...a Wild Mouse coaster:
wildmouse.JPG

NOT a Wild Mouse:
spacelight.jpg

Moving on:
I checked the closings of rides and attractions on the WDW site. It's not closing in March, so it must be later.
Meaningless. It's WAY too early for it to show up on public calendars. Wait until probably after the hollidays.

darthjohnny

Sigh....
Ok...a Wild Mouse coaster:
wildmouse.JPG

NOT a Wild Mouse:
spacelight.jpg

Look, if you are blinded by your "perfect view" of what a wild mouse coaster is, then fine.

I don't know why you guys started the arguement in the first place.

I know what Space Mountain is. It is what it is. That's that. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to argue anymore.

Charlie Brown

We went on the tram that goes through SM when the ride wasn't going and the lights were on and the ride wasn't going. It's so compact into a small area! I never would have guessed that it was that compacted when you're riding on it in the dark!

The Mom

Premium Member
Lee, that is almost exactly like a coaster I used to ride in RI, at Crescent Park (it no longer exists, except for the vintage carousel) called the Flying Fish. The only difference was the car overlay (fish instead of mouse) and the climb was on the right, instead of left.

My recollection was that the nose of the car extended a bit over the end of the track, with a slight hesitation before an abrupt turn, giving you the sensation that you were going to go over the edge.

I can't tell you how many hours I spent riding that thing, as they always had 99 cent day the last day of school; noon until closing, ride until you got sick. :lol: (Got my first kiss in the Haunted House. :kiss:)

coasterphil

Space Mountain is far from being a wild mouse coaster. None of the turns in the track layout even remotely resemble those of a wild mouse. The only thing it has in common would be its short height and relatively low speed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom