SM Closing for a Year?

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
And in reference to a few of my earlier posts...

(Thanks to various spots on the web for these pictures!)

The lift hill and small drop:
space_mountain_02.jpg

and train comparisons:

WDW
SpaceMountain11.jpg

Disneyland
800px-Space_Mountain_loading_dock.jpg

Nicole220

On a single train - yes. But if they run fewer trains - capacity would stay roughly the same.

To have side by side - there would be more weight, and the trains, theoretically, would run a bit faster. Gravity + more weight = faster trains = harder brake runs.

Faster trains = fewer trains running.

Of course, that is - if the track length does not grow - and stays the same.
Ah. Thanks. :wave:

About WDW's cars/trains, I thought I was going to fall out! It's scary!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
does WDW SM have a "backdoor" that is larger then a regular emergency exit etc and what side is it located? any pics of said door if it exist?

Figment82

I had the pleasure of visiting DL just this past weekend, and got to ride Space Mountain twice. That ride is AMAZING and puts ours to shame. Honestly, I feel almost embarrased riding our version now. The beautifully themed queue, the gorgeous score, the effective projections (that actually make you feel like you are spinning, unlike our red tunnel), and a fantastic smooth track all add up into one superb ride.

devoy1701

I would love for the tracks to be torn out and replaced with one larger track with a faster running train and better special effects all around. But I love sitting by yourself on this ride! It really adds to the experience! Makes it feel like...i dunno...like you're flying through space on your private rocket ship! I hope they keep the single seat trains!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nah - keep load exposed. One of my favourite World moments is standing in the queue area, looking at the projections and trying to make out the cars and their night-glo panels. And then the first drop and turn seeing how far up you really are :)

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
I have mixed emotions about that one...love to see the trains go by and like you, try to watch them travel - but on the same note - I like the element of surprise too. Not to see anything about SM - Like Disnyland's now, keeps you guessing and wanting to ride it more. Ya know?

Kinda like RRC - you can't see any of the track/trains except for the station - it's that element of surprise.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`d think no matter what layout, the minimal ammount of track you can see in the gloom adds to the surprise. Indeed, thinking you can judge the height, and then being surprised and excited by what you think you see adds to the suspense, IMHO.

That`s not to say more sections of the track could be enclosed in the rehab...

Kuhio

But I love sitting by yourself on this ride! It really adds to the experience! Makes it feel like...i dunno...like you're flying through space on your private rocket ship! I hope they keep the single seat trains!

I second this. I love the single-file rockets. The two-abreast seating just makes it feel that much more like any other mundane roller coaster. The single-file seating is relatively rare among coasters these days (and thus feels unique), and also helps the ride feel much more visceral -- there's nothing on either side of you (or above you) but "space" flying by. This is especially true in the first seat, where you feel like you're on your own private ride.

I can understand how side-by-side seating might be better for parents riding with small children who might be nervous, but other than people in that subgroup, I'm always surprised by how many people clamor for the MK's Space Mountain to have two-abreast rockets. In contrast, you hardly ever hear anyone insisting that the Matterhorn Bobsleds or DL's Splash Mountain should have two-abreast seating. (And I also think that those attractions benefit from the inline seating, and shouldn't change their ride vehicles either. Although the MK's and TDL's Splash Mountains have better effects and a better-conveyed story, I much prefer the single-file logs at DL. To me, a "log flume" just isn't a "log flume" with side-by-side seating.)

Kuhio

Nah - keep load exposed. One of my favourite World moments is standing in the queue area, looking at the projections and trying to make out the cars and their night-glo panels. And then the first drop and turn seeing how far up you really are :)

I second this too! I love the way the preview of the glowing rockets whizzing by really heightens anticipation for the ride, and makes you feel like the queue and the ride proper are integrated into one whole that's greater than the sum of its parts. In contrast, the other Space Mountains' load "rooms" feel very claustrophobic to me, and detract from the idea of being about to rocket into the vast emptiness of outer space.

Of course, the downside is the light pollution from the queue when you're actually on the ride. I do wish that the ride were darker. I wonder if there's any way to put in some kind of special glass or plexiglass over the load area so that the silhouettes of the rockets can still be discerned from the line (and the screams heard), while keeping the light from the queue from leaking into the ride space?

ToTBellHop

I second this. I love the single-file rockets. The two-abreast seating just makes it feel that much more like any other mundane roller coaster. The single-file seating is relatively rare among coasters these days (and thus feels unique), and also helps the ride feel much more visceral -- there's nothing on either side of you (or above you) but "space" flying by. This is especially true in the first seat, where you feel like you're on your own private ride.

I can understand how side-by-side seating might be better for parents riding with small children who might be nervous, but other than people in that subgroup, I'm always surprised by how many people clamor for the MK's Space Mountain to have two-abreast rockets. In contrast, you hardly ever hear anyone insisting that the Matterhorn Bobsleds or DL's Splash Mountain should have two-abreast seating. (And I also think that those attractions benefit from the inline seating, and shouldn't change their ride vehicles either. Although the MK's and TDL's Splash Mountains have better effects and a better-conveyed story, I much prefer the single-file logs at DL. To me, a "log flume" just isn't a "log flume" with side-by-side seating.)
Parents with kids is a "sub group"? Since when? This is the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. Families are THE group. If they go with a new track, I would bet they will go with a single track, necessitating an end to the tandem trains.

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
Parents with kids is a "sub group"? Since when? This is the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. Families are THE group. If they go with a new track, I would bet they will go with a single track, necessitating an end to the tandem trains.

I would still bet they go with the tandem trains like DL's - SM. I can't see them running one single train with only 6 riders (granted that's what they have now except with two trains).

the-reason14

Honestly if they do change anything, I third the urge that they keep them one a seat. When my little cousin rode sm for the first time she was scared, I just put her in the seat infront of me and held here in and leaned forward alot and asked if she was alright. I can see the benefit in two across seats, but that imo will take away from it. Thats one thing I like about riden SM by myself, if my dad is tired or doing something else, I dont have to worry about sitting next to people, I can just sit on it and chill by myself. The other coasters arent like that, I know they'll sit me by or try to sit me by someone and most of the time thats annoying. I wouldnt want Sm to be the same as the others.

If they do rehab SM and make it smoother and such, when are they gonna do the same for rocknrollercoaster? I mean, that ride as far as bumpiness, is worse and people praise it up and down like its the best roller coaster at WDW. I always come off of that with a headache, but SM is different, yea its bumpy but nothin like rockinrollercoaster imo.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I`d think no matter what layout, the minimal ammount of track you can see in the gloom adds to the surprise. Indeed, thinking you can judge the height, and then being surprised and excited by what you think you see adds to the suspense, IMHO.

That`s not to say more sections of the track could be enclosed in the rehab...
hey martin, you might be able to help me with this.... http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=2555856&postcount=184 .... :wave:

Kuhio

I meant a "sub group" of people who "clamor for the MK's Space Mountain to have two-abreast rockets," not a "sub group" of "Magic Kingdom visitors generally." There are plenty of people who either don't have young children or don't care one way or the other about sitting right next to their young children, who want the side-by-side seating for other reasons (e.g., faster loading, more like a "traditional" coaster, etc.).

Kuhio

I would still bet they go with the tandem trains like DL's - SM. I can't see them running one single train with only 6 riders (granted that's what they have now except with two trains).

I agree that if they go with a single track, they will pretty much have to go with tandem seating. Can you imagine how long the lines would be for a roller coaster that could only send out six riders per vehicle on its one and only track?

However, I'm hoping they keep the double-track layout -- either by keeping the current track configurations (i.e., putting in new trackwork but in the original layout), or by putting in two entirely new tracks that race and/or duel. While two tracks each with tandem-seating vehicles would obviously be faster loading, two tracks each with single-file-seating vehicles could be feasible as well.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
does WDW SM have a "backdoor" that is larger then a regular emergency exit etc and what side is it located? any pics of said door if it exist?
SM has 2 service docks, on the NE and SE sides. Each is a set of double doors slightly larger than a regular door.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom