SM Closing for a Year?

Pete C

So does that mean anything for audio? Seems weird that they would go through the trouble of putting in new wider trains with 2 across seating and not put in the audio system.

Lee

Adventurer
So does that mean anything for audio? Seems weird that they would go through the trouble of putting in new wider trains with 2 across seating and not put in the audio system.

Sure.
If they put in two-across trains, they will have audio. No question.
If, however, they decide not to change the track...they will be stuck with the single file rockets, and audio will not be a sure thing. Possible, but not for sure.

I'm still trying to get some better confirmation/details about this whole thing. Stay tuned.

darthjohnny

I remember Screamscape reporting that they have heard about the station alteration as well as some new effects and possibly some audio. But so far, there is nothing saying there will be a rehab along the lines of Disneyland's ride, according to their sources.

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes

I would think they would definitely go with the audio - WDW is the only SM without it right now.

On that note - with 2 across seating...

For devil's advocate purposes - assuming (yes, you know what that does) that they keep the same layout/format.

I wonder how they would rework the lift chain section going up through the "space walk" scene & the small drop going by the TTA. Doesn't seem wide enough to keep the same configuration for 2 across seating trains to make it through there.:veryconfu

Tim G

I remember Screamscape reporting that they have heard about the station alteration as well as some new effects and possibly some audio. But so far, there is nothing saying there will be a rehab along the lines of Disneyland's ride, according to their sources.

I remember Screamscape reporting so often much of everything... :D
So I don't see how they will be acurate on this on... :rolleyes:

Lee

Adventurer
I wonder how they would rework the lift chain section going up through the "space walk" scene & the small drop going by the TTA. Doesn't seem wide enough to keep the same configuration for 2 across seating trains to make it through there.:veryconfu

Obviously, adjustments will need to be made.
One benefit of new track would be the availability of modern supports. That huge scaffolding-like structure will not be necessary, freeing up quite a bit of room.

darthjohnny

I remember Screamscape reporting so often much of everything... :D
So I don't see how they will be acurate on this on... :rolleyes:

Actually, Screamscape is usually pretty good about their news, so I don't know where all of this dislike of the site comes from.

They were the ones to hear about the recent Tortuga Restaurant news, even before this site (wdwmagic.com).

Tim G

One benefit of new track would be the availability of modern supports. That huge scaffolding-like structure will not be necessary, freeing up quite a bit of room.

But please don't think it will change in a DLPR sort of thing with loops etc...
Because that definitely won't happen!

Peterwhite171

I would think they would definitely go with the audio - WDW is the only SM without it right now.

On that note - with 2 across seating...

For devil's advocate purposes - assuming (yes, you know what that does) that they keep the same layout/format.

Actually the Tokyo Space Mountain does not feature any audio, and thats after an extensive 7 month Rehab recently

cooleo

This rehab timeframe should work out perfectly. Going in December & not planning to make another trip until '09. I know, the thought of skipping a whole year without a trip to "The World" is killing me. Bring on the rehab. :sohappy:

Buried20KLeague

I almost wonder though, if they'd WANT to go solely with the modern supports. I think part of the charm of the ride is that the star projections refect at times off the current supports, and give the feel that stars are right next to you, and also at times that the supports feel WAY closer than maybe they really are. If they traded out the current set up for modern supports, it would remove a good amount of surface area to project stars on, leaving the majority of the projections against the top of the structure alone. I don't know if I'd like that. ?? :shrug:

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
Actually the Tokyo Space Mountain does not feature any audio, and thats after an extensive 7 month Rehab recently

My total dorkness on that one! I swear I thought Tokyo SM had audio - but **ding ding ding** I'm in the wrong. :shrug::ROFLOL::veryconfu

Curse you - dorkness! :hammer:

Pete C

I almost wonder though, if they'd WANT to go solely with the modern supports. I think part of the charm of the ride is that the star projections refect at times off the current supports, and give the feel that stars are right next to you, and also at times that the supports feel WAY closer than maybe they really are. If they traded out the current set up for modern supports, it would remove a good amount of surface area to project stars on, leaving the majority of the projections against the top of the structure alone. I don't know if I'd like that. ?? :shrug:

The entire way the stars are projected is going to change. Have you been on SM at Disneyland? There are no support beams all around you on that ride, yet the star field puts WDW's to shame. I know what you mean about the stars reflecting off the surfaces around you...it does add something to the experience, but I don't think seeing beams whiz by is exactly putting you in the outer space atmosphere. The word "charm" is typically used to describe something old and run-down that is still likable due to its nostalgic value. I don't think Space Mountain should embrace this mentality, otherwise it will not appeal to the next generation of potential Disney fans. They need to take it up a notch...give the rider some real WOW factor when they first enter the ride space.

On that note they really need to seal up the queue so you can't see inside before you ride. While that adds some excitement, it ruins any sort of surprise of not knowing what you are about to get yourself into. At DL the first time you enter the pitch black dome you are treated to a rousing score as you crest the lift hill in dramatic fashion. Now that's what I'm talking about.

sillykid

Actually, Screamscape is usually pretty good about their news, so I don't know where all of this dislike of the site comes from.

They were the ones to hear about the recent Tortuga Restaurant news, even before this site (wdwmagic.com).

Actually DarthJohnny I think your mostly right. ScreamScape does do a good job of being on top of things. The problem is their track record with Disney is not as good as all of thier rumors. Just like Mr. HILL, Al at MiceCAGE, haha, and all the others, there is less accuracy then with other theme parks. Disney does a great job of concealing all things. If you hear about it, the truth is they wanted you to know.

We all have a co-worker or friend that we know we can tell something if we want it to get out in the open, but not be out in the open. Disney loves suckers like us and does an amazing job of leaking info at the right time and of the right amounts.

DisneyNeighbor

I could only hope for side by side seating with a similar layout.
My kids hate riding by themselves and would love to have someone next to them.

If they go this route will this double the rides capacity?
Or will the trains be smaller?

Double the riders on each car would really bump up the capacity and make the wait times much better when it is busy.

DisneyGigi

They (screamscape) did get the RnRC right... but anyway
I would love to see SM get some love, even though I would hate that it may be down on our second 08 trip!
It is rough on the neck as much as I love it I would like it to be smoother as some have mentioned as well as see some other things updated. I, for one think the 2 side by side seats would be great, make it alot easier for a family of four to ride together. Whatever they do I am sure will be great! :D Can't wait!

Nicole220

I could only hope for side by side seating with a similar layout.
My kids hate riding by themselves and would love to have someone next to them.

If they go this route will this double the rides capacity?
Or will the trains be smaller?

Double the riders on each car would really bump up the capacity and make the wait times much better when it is busy.
Disneyland fits 12 per train.
WDW fits 6 per train.

So yes, the capacity would double.

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
Disneyland fits 12 per train.
WDW fits 6 per train.

So yes, the capacity would double.

On a single train - yes. But if they run fewer trains - capacity would stay roughly the same.

To have side by side - there would be more weight, and the trains, theoretically, would run a bit faster. Gravity + more weight = faster trains = harder brake runs.

Faster trains = fewer trains running.

Of course, that is - if the track length does not grow - and stays the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom