SM Closing for a Year?

Pete C

Space Mountain is NOT a wild mouse. A wild mouse is a very specific design with only 1 car featuring switchbacks that make you feel that you will fall out. They never get up to any sort of consistent speed like SM does...once SM gets moving it never slows down. Also, drops on wild mice are also not sudden like on SM. Ride any wild mouse then go ride SM and there is a clear difference.

Pete C

Standard procedure would be to click on the first page of the topic and read a few posts to see what we are talking about.

darthjohnny

You guys are taking the definition of a wild mouse coaster way too literally.

Yes most Wild Mouses have flat turns.

But Space Mountain still has small cars (which if the lights were on, the nose of the car could give the illusion that it was falling off the tracks), tight turns, sudden drops, quick fly-bys, the list goes on....

Kuhio

Roughest coaster to ever give me a mugging was Son of Beast. Just brutal. Second place to Manhurtin' Express. Terrible.

Space is not in that league, but it is still far rougher than a Disney coaster should be allowed to be. From my experience, it's rougher even than Matterhorn.
A Disney flight through space should be fast and smooth, providing more "Wheee" than "Ouch!" At this point...it doesn't.

Manhattan Express is horrible! And for some reason, I can't ever seem to learn my lesson... I just have to "get my ride in" every time I'm in Vegas... and every time I get off Manhattan Express, I vow I'll never to do it again...

Kuhio

Here's something I posted in a trip report from elsewhere not long ago...

I'd actually clarify the following by saying that the MK's Space Mountain would probably feel no rougher than the Matterhorn if the lights were on and you could see where you were going... with the lights off, it's probably rougher just because you can't anticipate the abrupt turns and sudden drops, and thus get thrown around more. That said, I personally have never had a problem with the roughness of the MK's Space Mountain, and wouldn't change a thing in terms of the track layout. (If the refurb ends up ripping out the current tracks and putting in a version of the DL/TDL/HKDL Space Mountains, I'd seriously consider boycotting the MK forever...)

Space Mountain
I don’t get why so many people complain about how “rough” the MK’s Space Mountain is. It’s no rougher than the Matterhorn Bobsleds, yet you rarely hear anyone complain about them. As far as I’m concerned, the main problem is the light pollution -- they really need to do something about that. Also, fix the effects so that the “stars” don’t look like dabs of paint on black girders. Otherwise, I’m more than happy with the MK version; I’ve done every other version (including DLP’s and HKDL’s smooth-as-butter, brand-new SM), and I’d still take the MK’s over any of them. The “smoothness” of DL’s SM doesn’t count for much when the queue is uninteresting and the ride layout itself is deeply boring, with barely detectable drops and right-turn after right-turn after right-turn. I don’t mind having a soundtrack, but when you’re simulating a race through the vacuum of deep space, it’s hardly necessary. Also, of all the SMs out there, the MK version comes closest to the original idea of a Space Port with multiple attractions -- the interaction between the attraction and the TTA enhances both of them. Whatever they do, they definitely should not do away with the in-line seating of the rockets -- I’ve always hated the two-abreast seating of the other SMs, which makes them feel that much more like any other generic roller coaster. The single-file seating makes you feel much closer to the ride on either side of you. Also nice is the dual-track layout, which actually makes SM a quasi-dueling coaster (with a few near “misses”) if both Alpha and Omega tracks launch at exactly the same time. There’s nothing like having a perfectly timed launch -- you’ll get a rocketful of screaming people zip by you at the beginning of the lift hill, and “race” your parallel rocket all the way up, as well.

Just my opinion, of course... I know opinions vary widely on this issue! :)

PintoColvig

Here's something I posted in a trip report from elsewhere not long ago...

I'd actually clarify the following by saying that the MK's Space Mountain would probably feel no rougher than the Matterhorn if the lights were on and you could see where you were going... with the lights off, it's probably rougher just because you can't anticipate the abrupt turns and sudden drops, and thus get thrown around more. That said, I personally have never had a problem with the roughness of the MK's Space Mountain, and wouldn't change a thing in terms of the track layout. (If the refurb ends up ripping out the current tracks and putting in a version of the DL/TDL/HKDL Space Mountains, I'd seriously consider boycotting the MK forever...)

Just my opinion, of course... I know opinions vary widely on this issue! :)
I was so looking forward to my first ride on the Matterhorn but was SO disappointed when my teeth about jarred out of my head. SM (that's Space Mountain for those of you just tuning in without reading the rest of the thread) is nowhere close to being a rough ride compared to the Matterhorn...IMO.

EPCOT_Man

If Space Mountain were to get an LIM system, then it would be nearly the same to RnRC. Plus, it removes the original type of thrill of Space Mountain.

The Mom

Premium Member
Standard procedure would be to click on the first page of the topic and read a few posts to see what we are talking about.

Unfortunately, in this case, the first couple of posts WERE about Splash Mountain, with a little bit of Jungle Cruise thrown in, then switched over to almost all Space Mountain, then segued into a discussion of "which is the world's roughest coaster/attraction" which began a debate of "is or isn't Space Mountain a specific type of coaster" with speculation about what the rehab might be, and how it would effect other attractions.

Why would anyone have the least bit of troble following the thread? :lookaroun;)

Nemo14

Unfortunately, in this case, the first couple of posts WERE about Splash Mountain, with a little bit of Jungle Cruise thrown in, then switched over to almost all Space Mountain, then segued into a discussion of "which is the world's roughest coaster/attraction" which began a debate of "is or isn't Space Mountain a specific type of coaster" with speculation about what the rehab might be, and how it would effect other attractions.

Why would anyone have the least bit of troble following the thread? :lookaroun;)

:ROFLOL:

It's pretty much par for the course around here! :D

kennyj29

We rode Matterhorn in 2005 and didn't find it jarring at all. And I have to agree with Nicole, my son went on Ghostrider and couldn't go on any other ride because his neck was so badly rattled! Back to Space Mountain, That ride has lost it's appeal to me over the last 4 years. We went on the new version in Disneyland and absolutely loved it. I hope they do the same seating as Disneylands because the two seat version instead of the one seat version is soooooooo much better!

Tramp

:kiss:

Lee

Adventurer
I'd actually clarify the following by saying that the MK's Space Mountain would probably feel no rougher than the Matterhorn if the lights were on and you could see where you were going...

Good point. Not being able to move with the turns makes a difference.
However, Disneyland's new Space Mtn.,which is just as dark as MK's, is way, WAY smoother. A much more enjoyable and high-quality experience, which is what the MK's version should aspire to.

If Space Mountain were to get an LIM system, then it would be nearly the same to RnRC.
Nah. Nothing would make it like RnRC unless it launched you into a tangled spaghetti-bowl filled with scenery. That ain't gonna happen. The only use for LIMs (or LSMs) Space might have would be to make the "launch" faster and smoother.

Charlie Brown

I'm having some trouble...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom