SM Closing for a Year?

lscott933

well if it going to be like the one in disneyland. then they already know how the layout is. the car wouldn't take that long to build. they already know how the track is to be build. there is no redesigning the ride. all they have to do is use the plans they already have. that is half the battle when making something. so if they are going to use the same layout and all. they know from the other one what the hided problems will be and how long it will take. here is a time table. a month for tear down. then two months to get the site ready for the new layout. then 8 months to build a new track. then a month of testing. that is one year time period. that is example of a year to build a ride.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
i thought one of ya'll had said awhile back that there was a chance they were ripping out the entire track and putting in a new one that would have side-by-side seating....

how long does that take anyway? a couple weeks? :shrug:
I'll give them 4....6 at the most....

seriously though...like someone said earlier in the thread, they could already have the cars ready and they could be shipping in a predesigned track...which means half of the rehab would be for gutting and remodeling.
Not really - side by side in WDW was more of a fanboy dream. That would only come with a complete and utter emptying of the building and starting from scratch. And to do so would probably take as long to do as the original took to build in 73-75.

Regarding sound and weight, I`ve heard a new soundtracker system being proposed that will eliminate a lot of the weight and headaches with the current system. Again, time will tell. This rehab at present has less concrete evidence than SSE has for its update.

Brian_WDW74

Here's a rumor posted today by DisneyDad61 over on the DIS boards. I'm not making any claims about its veracity, just passing it along. :)

I have just gotten back from WDW last week and thought I would share some information I have heard from two - (2) sources whom I know that are quite familiar with Magic Kingdom.
On the subject of Space Mountain. I was told that indeed there is a pending rehabilitation and that, to a certain extent, the rehab is pending the finalization of some litigation surrouding the since closed "Skyway to Tomorrowland" elevated cable car ride.
From what I have been told, the rehabilitation will NOT be at all like the Disneyland version. The interior of WDW Space Mountain will be essentially gutted. The current 2 - track ride system within Space Mountain will be taken out and replaced with a 1 - track system. The coaster cars seating will be 2-across and not 1-across currently at WDW Space Mountain. (Disneyland has 1 track but the seating is 2-across) The roller coaster system will be an electro-magnetic pulse launch system very similar to the Rockin Roller Coaster system at Disney-MGM Studios. Meaning, that the take - off will be very fast but smooth.
Also, the entrance area to the ride will NOT be within the current Space Mountain structure but rather in the area that was formally occupied by the Skyway To Tommorrowland exit area right next to Space Mountain.
What I am told is that you will be launched from this location into the current Space Mountain structure. The rehab would be 6 to 8 months and not the noted 12 months in that I am told that the roller coaster track has already been assembled and dismantled in Arizona. So they already know what to do when the ride closes, thus cutting down the time to get covert the track system. Also, the sound and lighting sytem will be much-improved - obviously.

I am told that when the pending legal issues are resolved around the ride that the rehab work will begin quickly. This could be why we are not hearing "hard" dates for the rehab at this time.

Just a bit of rumor news I heard recently.....
Have a good day

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Not really - side by side in WDW was more of a fanboy dream. That would only come with a complete and utter emptying of the building and starting from scratch. And to do so would probably take as long to do as the original took to build in 73-75.

Regarding sound and weight, I`ve heard a new soundtracker system being proposed that will eliminate a lot of the weight and headaches with the current system. Again, time will tell. This rehab at present has less concrete evidence than SSE has for its update.
hey martin... i would have to disagree with one thing in your trip report and agree with some. if i recall, you said that you thought that SM wasnt in bad of shape as you originally thought. i agree but only in the queue and some other aspects. now, i diagree if you were speaking of the actual ride itself. like i stated above, man, that ride hurt. turns, transitions and especially the corkscrews at the bottom and the final "left" into the reentry. OMG. other then that... it doesnt look all that bad for being so old.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Here's a rumor posted today by DisneyDad61 over on the DIS boards. I'm not making any claims about its veracity, just passing it along. :)

have just gotten back from WDW last week and thought I would share some information I have heard from two - (2) sources whom I know that are quite familiar with Magic Kingdom.
On the subject of Space Mountain. I was told that indeed there is a pending rehabilitation and that, to a certain extent, the rehab is pending the finalization of some litigation surrouding the since closed "Skyway to Tomorrowland" elevated cable car ride.
From what I have been told, the rehabilitation will NOT be at all like the Disneyland version. The interior of WDW Space Mountain will be essentially gutted. The current 2 - track ride system within Space Mountain will be taken out and replaced with a 1 - track system. The coaster cars seating will be 2-across and not 1-across currently at WDW Space Mountain. (Disneyland has 1 track but the seating is 2-across) The roller coaster system will be an electro-magnetic pulse launch system very similar to the Rockin Roller Coaster system at Disney-MGM Studios. Meaning, that the take - off will be very fast but smooth.
Also, the entrance area to the ride will NOT be within the current Space Mountain structure but rather in the area that was formally occupied by the Skyway To Tommorrowland exit area right next to Space Mountain.
What I am told is that you will be launched from this location into the current Space Mountain structure. The rehab would be 6 to 8 months and not the noted 12 months in that I am told that the roller coaster track has already been assembled and dismantled in Arizona. So they already know what to do when the ride closes, thus cutting down the time to get covert the track system. Also, the sound and lighting sytem will be much-improved - obviously.

I am told that when the pending legal issues are resolved around the ride that the rehab work will begin quickly. This could be why we are not hearing "hard" dates for the rehab at this time.

Just a bit of rumor news I heard recently.....
Have a good day

Would they really be able to get all that done in 6-8 months? Seems like "gutting" it would take longer.

Lee

Adventurer
What I am told is that you will be launched from this location into the current Space Mountain structure. The rehab would be 6 to 8 months and not the noted 12 months in that I am told that the roller coaster track has already been assembled and dismantled in Arizona. So they already know what to do when the ride closes, thus cutting down the time to get covert the track system. Also, the sound and lighting sytem will be much-improved - obviously

Ehhh....weeelll....some of that sounds in the ballpark with what I've heard lately.:shrug:
Then again, some of it is entirely....um....news to me.:lol:

TarzanRocked99-

Ehhh....weeelll....some of that sounds in the ballpark with what I've heard lately.:shrug:
Then again, some of it is entirely....um....news to me.:lol:

Last time I check a train passes through that spot every 10 minutes or so. Would this so called launch go under or over it or if we wanted it to be truly thrilling we could always gamble and just cross the tracks and hope the train is not there at that particular moment.:lol:

the-reason14

Im sorry but that rumor about SM getting a launch and audio like Rockin Roller coaster is just dumb on disney part IMO. If they were to do that, they would have basically the same ride with a different theme in two parks. Rockin Roller coaster IMO sucks compared to SM with all the noise and how short it is, it would be dumb to do that with SM. Keep it unique and lengthy dont put space music and launch system in it, we already have something like that at mgm.

gbrooks135

If Hard Rock Park in Myrtle Beach SC, can be Built in about 2 years including 4 or 5 roller coaster's (one of the coasters is going to have a ferris wheel lift system) and about 40 rides along with shops, restaurants, shows and 2 amphitheater's. ( one indoors and one outdoors) I would think that Disney Could rip out the old coaster tracks and replace it with new ones and redo the pre and post show in about a year.

lunarsquid

I really hope they don't make it a side-by-side seating arrangement.
Part of the thrill of SM is those tiny cars that make it feel like you could fall out at any moment.

I also like the twin track arrangement, although a single super-long track could be really fun too, I guess.

Personally, I hope they just plus it up a bit, replace the cars with some new ones with some suspension, and maybe give us some new effects.

Maybe i'm in the minority, but I really like the current ride... yes it's a bit more jerky than it used to be, but it's still super cool.

the-reason14

Part of the thrill of SM is those tiny cars that make it feel like you could fall out at any moment.

I also like the twin track arrangement, although a single super-long track could be really fun too, I guess.

Personally, I hope they just plus it up a bit, replace the cars with some new ones with some suspension, and maybe give us some new effects.

Maybe i'm in the minority, but I really like the current ride... yes it's a bit more jerky than it used to be, but it's still super cool.

I agree with you. IMo its a classic, and I dont think it should be tampered with, with the exception of changing the que and post show and maybe adding some new effects. If WDI really wants a more thrilling coaster in MK, build it somewhere else, why replace something that still gets alot of attendance, why not just make another coaster somewhere else in the MK and get twice as many people in.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Primeval Whirl?:lookaroun:lol:
touche' i thought i lost the ability to produce children on PW. seriously

Is it really that hard to spell out Space Mountain?
nope... just tedious IMHO

You must have been dreaming, Martin.:snore:
I rode it on the 2nd and had a limp for a hour or so. Terrible.:mad:
i was walking and had a head tilt like a gangsta lean

i concur, but i swear id give the up so i could not loose ability to turn my head from side to side. oh yey, my knees are bruised shortly after too, and im 5'10" :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom