Slash and Burn ...

tirian

Doesn't ANYONE remember that AE was a walk on as well for nearly five years before it closed ?
:lookaroun

Like POTC and HM often are when the park isn't busy? AE was one of the most popular attractions at the MK when it was open. I still think it should have been relocated to the Studios.

BTW, SGE is a bona fide failure based on exit surveys. Sad, because the AA Stitch is great. Too bad the show sucks (and stinks).

Grim Grinner

So the main point is...

So essentially the main issue is this:

WDW is a rare and beautiful thing, and seeing many of the features/shows, details and attractions that make it so-are deteriorating.

The debate is whether or not this is for the good of the company, or merely a continuing trend where the magic is slowly drained away.

For me, I still love WDW-but after having been to Disneyland and seeing the stark differences in quality as opposed to the Magic Kingdom, I'm starting to see cracks in the overall structure.

My views coincide with the majority of rabid fanboys out there. I loved Alien Encounter and told everyone I knew about it. It was a rare case of fun fueled by imagination. Speaking of Imagination, the original version was so magical that my family scheduled a trip back to see that ride specifically.

I loved Horizons and intended to take my wife on it as our "first" ride-and had to settle at staring at the close building-before walking to Test Track.

I swam in River Country and cherished not only Mr. Toad, but the scary ending of Snow White. Riding inside the Nautilus, although it smelled of body odor-was a thrill to a kid who loved the movie. The steel drums in Adventureland, the music still brings me to a place of such happiness that tears almost flow. If only I could take my wife to that place, where instead a spinner ride sits today.

Today, there are still great memories to be had. I just wish I could show others the Disney of my childhood.

RSoxNo1

As tirian mentioned, the length of the line doesn't accurately coincide with the rides popularity because every ride has a different capacity. I don't know what SGE/AE hourly capacity is, but I would not be surprised if it was more than Space Mountain.

Stitch's Great Escape could conceivably work as an attraction, there are elements of it (namely the animatronic) that are very impressive. A big problem is that the cheap laughs of the chili dog aggravate people instead of amuse them, and this top notch animatronic is hidden in the dark the entire show. I love the idea of Stitch going over to the Tiki Room, and possibly bringing back some of the original songs over there.

jt04

As tirian mentioned, the length of the line doesn't accurately coincide with the rides popularity because every ride has a different capacity. I don't know what SGE/AE hourly capacity is, but I would not be surprised if it was more than Space Mountain.

Stitch's Great Escape could conceivably work as an attraction, there are elements of it (namely the animatronic) that are very impressive. A big problem is that the cheap laughs of the chili dog aggravate people instead of amuse them, and this top notch animatronic is hidden in the dark the entire show. I love the idea of Stitch going over to the Tiki Room, and possibly bringing back some of the original songs over there.

Yes. I/m no Stitch fan but the idea of putting it in the Tiki room has real potential for laughs and bringing the show back to something more appealing to today's guests.

CBOMB

Like POTC and HM often are when the park isn't busy? AE was one of the most popular attractions at the MK when it was open. I still think it should have been relocated to the Studios.

BTW, SGE is a bona fide failure based on exit surveys. Sad, because the AA Stitch is great. Too bad the show sucks (and stinks).
I agree with you on this one. Had AE been located in the Studios it would still be around. It was just deemed to intense for the MK.

EpcotServo

Ok, let's just run through this logic for fun:

1: Stitch is FAIL because it never has any lines

2: I say AE never really had any lines for years too (Which it did, I was there.)

3:Haunted Mansion and Pirates are great rides that don't have big lines too

4: So that means that a great ride isn't judged by it's lines. (I agree with this.)

5: Return to #1 and repeat.

:shrug:

Alien Encounter was awesome, but it HAD to go. Anyone here who worked attractions at ANY park during AE's run can easily tell you that at most attractions like Star Tours or Haunted Mansion would get at least two kids a day who REFUSED to ride ANY attraction. Even things like Muppets and Small World. It became standard that the question you should ask the parents was "Was Alien Encounter the first thing you took him/her on?" 9 out of 10 times it was. ENTIRE family vacations were being ruined by a dark and bloody attraction in the middle of Magic Kingdom.

It was bold, it was risky, it was gruesome. But it HAD to go. A white dwarf heading for a Black Hole. It's physics. It's inevitable.

The universe is talking to us guys...all you have to do...is listen...

*clicks music on and starts dancing*

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
It was bold, it was risky, it was gruesome. But it HAD to go. A white dwarf heading for a Black Hole. It's physics. It's inevitable.

Nice post, Travis.

I think AE added to the overall Thrill factor of MK. The more I think about it, I wish it were in DHS, though not sure of where/how it would fit.

tirian

Ok, let's just run through this logic for fun:

1: Stitch is FAIL because it never has any lines

2: I say AE never really had any lines for years too (Which it did, I was there.)

3:Haunted Mansion and Pirates are great rides that don't have big lines too

4: So that means that a great ride isn't judged by it's lines. (I agree with this.)

5: Return to #1 and repeat.

:shrug:

Alien Encounter was awesome, but it HAD to go. Anyone here who worked attractions at ANY park during AE's run can easily tell you that at most attractions like Star Tours or Haunted Mansion would get at least two kids a day who REFUSED to ride ANY attraction. Even things like Muppets and Small World. It became standard that the question you should ask the parents was "Was Alien Encounter the first thing you took him/her on?" 9 out of 10 times it was. ENTIRE family vacations were being ruined by a dark and bloody attraction in the middle of Magic Kingdom.

I don't know about the anecdotal information (nothing's wrong with that; I simply don't know), but I CAN tell you this:

SGE is considered a failure based on exit surveys, not the length of the queue. Yep, the same exit surveys Disney usually spins to their advantage. There was no spinning this one.

jt04

Nice post, Travis.

I think AE added to the overall Thrill factor of MK. The more I think about it, I wish it were in DHS, though not sure of where/how it would fit.

I'm stunned Universal in Florida didn't run with the concept after Disney closed it. It'd be a perfect addition at that park which really needs another scarry dark ride added to it's collection besides just RotM.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'm stunned Universal in Florida didn't run with the concept after Disney closed it. It'd be a perfect addition at that park which really needs another scarry dark ride added to it's collection besides just RotM.
I'm pretty sure even though Disney closed the ride USF couldn't "run with it" for copyright reasons.

jedimaster1227

SGE is considered a failure based on exit surveys, not the length of the queue. Yep, the same exit surveys Disney usually spins to their advantage. There was no spinning this one.

And thanks to those exit surveys (as well as some other surveys based on the attraction), Stitch's Great Escape is a high priority in the grand scheme of Tomorrowland's eventual overhaul.

Lee

Adventurer
1: Stitch is FAIL because it never has any lines]

Nope. Fails because guests hate it. Really, they do.

No. It didn't have to go, and shouldn't have.
The fault, in my eyes, lies with the ignorant parents who forced their young kids on the attraction without reading/heeding the multiple warning signs around the queue. It wasn't meant for little children, and just because some got scared is no reason for removing the attraction.

Figments Friend

The fault, in my eyes, lies with the ignorant parents who forced their young kids on the attraction without reading/heeding the multiple warning signs around the queue. It wasn't meant for little children, and just because some got scared is no reason for removing the attraction.

Completely agree with you Lee....

Has anyone considered that maybe, just MAYBE, another reason Guests 'hate it' is because when the lights go out during the show they actually have to USE their own imaginations for once? Think about it: We as a society in general are slowly sinking away from using our own minds in creative ways thanks to televison and other visual mediums. When the lights go out in a attraction Joe Average and his young family are experiencing..they are expecting to see some fancy, flashy special effects or other visually enhancing elements. Never for a minute were they expecting they would have to use their own imaginations to produce the 'thrill'.

I have been thinking about this, and it could be just one small reason to add to the long list of why SGE is such a issue. Personally, i am not overly bothered by the attraction. I LIKE it for what it is. I liked AE too..but can understand why it was changed. SGE is like a crossroad. The primary appeal for me is the AA's and the concept execution. Of course, i have always had a over-active imagination and enjoy the 'lights out' segments. Today's overstimulated Guests however probably find it a huge dissapointment. 'What a cop out....they just shut the lights off instead of doing something cool'.....when in reality they completely MISSED the point: USING YOUR IMAGINATION!

Sorry for the rant...just had to point out this might also be considered.

Happiness and a MERRY Krishnamas!!!

:xmas:

jt04

Completely agree with you Lee....

Has anyone considered that maybe, just MAYBE, another reason Guests 'hate it' is because when the lights go out during the show they actually have to USE their own imaginations for once? Think about it: We as a society in general are slowly sinking away from using our own minds in creative ways thanks to televison and other visual mediums. When the lights go out in a attraction Joe Average and his young family are experiencing..they are expecting to see some fancy, flashy special effects or other visually enhancing elements. Never for a minute were they expecting they would have to use their own imaginations to produce the 'thrill'.

I have been thinking about this, and it could be just one small reason to add to the long list of why SGE is such a issue. Personally, i am not overly bothered by the attraction. I LIKE it for what it is. I liked AE too..but can understand why it was changed. SGE is like a crossroad. The primary appeal for me is the AA's and the concept execution. Of course, i have always had a over-active imagination and enjoy the 'lights out' segments. Today's overstimulated Guests however probably find it a huge dissapointment. 'What a cop out....they just shut the lights off instead of doing something cool'.....when in reality they completely MISSED the point: USING YOUR IMAGINATION!

Sorry for the rant...just had to point out this might also be considered.

Happiness and a MERRY Krishnamas!!!

:xmas:

I can only speak for myself, but the chili dog deal is quite offensive. I can take a joke as good as anyone, but there is something a bit, how can I put this, unDisney about it. The stink bug joke in ITTBaB is clever and well executed but the Stitch gag is just that :hurl:.

I agree with you about the dark scenes. I still think a concept like AE would be better suited to Universal Studios. Uni really needs a Haunted Mansion/Alien Encounter hybrid type ride that is unapologetically SCARY!:eek:

Maybe in TWWoHP phase 2 :shrug:

EpcotServo

Of course. But when it's happening SO much (Like if guests really hate it.) then it HAS to GO. I never said Stitch should stay, just sayin' that I'll ALWAYS think that (has much as it pains me too) Alien Encounter closing was a very smart decision.

Now let's see that NOSTROMO ride get built.
:lol:

Brian Noble

The fault, in my eyes, lies with the ignorant parents who forced their young kids on the attraction without reading/heeding the multiple warning signs around the queue.
You aren't seriously proposing that park planning rely on guests not checking their brains at the gate, are you?

Seriously?

I mean, you've seen these people in the park, right?

imagineer boy

I like to think that the selections of rides at a park are like the colors on a painter's palette. And to make a good piece of art work, there must be plenty of contrast. And that's what AE brought to the magic kingdom. It was a bit of radical contrast that prevented older guests like teens feel less alienated by the kid friendly atmosphere of thepark. I think it worked wonderfully.

Besides, I've seen plenty of kids come off the haunted mansion screaming and crying too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom