Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Preview Thoughts

Tonka's Skipper

Daniel Radcliffe did say at one point that he didn't want to be involved, but we have heard from a reliable source that Harry does appear in the ride.

Would they even need the actor himself?

It would seem with all the footage of film they have they could put together just about anything they want.

Plus there is the possibility of a AA figure.

AKK

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Would they even need the actor himself?

It would seem with all the footage of film they have they could put together just about anything they want.

Plus there is the possibility of a AA figure.

AKK

Yep, there are plenty of options, no to mention how many times actors have said they would never do something that they ended up doing anyway.

prfctlyximprct

Considering the ride is located in fantasyland, it looks exactly as I pictured. It combines thrilling and dark ride, and seems perfect for guests of most ages. I think the queue really blew away my expectations. And I hate how people compare this to what universal is doing.. It's located in fantasyland, it's not supposed to be a scary coaster.. I'm so excited to ride in August!

tl77

I think the Mine Train is a neat little ride, but as the final piece, and apparently the "Center Piece", of this 5 year Fantasyland Expansion it's getting a lot more scrutiny than it would on it's own, and I also think it's taking a lot of heat for the expansion as a whole, because there are few aspects of the New Fantasyland that I take issue with more so than the Mine Train.

I think BOG should have had a better façade, you should enter Beast's Castel itself instead of a big rock/cave with a doll house on top of it. I think Gaston's village probably should have been themed to Tangled instead, with Rapunzel's tower back in that area instead of next door to the Haunted Mansion. And the Circus tent's are clearly just a cop-out, cheap way to save money, but end up being a huge waste of space, they could certainly find a better way to utilize the chunk of real estate.

All that aside, I think of the Mine Train is a step up from Snow White's Scary Adventure, but the location of it seems like a bad idea to me, because of the time and money spent theming the back of it. I think I would have been a better idea to put it where the Circus tents are and had something else in the center of Fantasyland. On it's own merit I think the Mine Train is a nice attraction, but the Fantasyland expansion as a whole is lacking and not really well thought out, but if they got busy designing a decent dark ride where the circus tents are, this expansion of Fantasyland would feel a little more complete to me.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I'm the biggest UniTard ever and I'm lost in this argument. 7DMT will do everything it was designed to do and then some. People have to remember that the NFL was designed pre-potter. And it's entire goal was to increase capacity without compounding the problem. The imagineers were tasked with designing a D Ticket. WDI said, OK, watch this. And here we are...
This is a very observant statement and worthy of reading again for you people who missed the point.

Tonka's Skipper

This is a very observant statement and worthy of reading again for you people who missed the point.

With all do respect, I think Disney 71 and your self have missed the point The Imaginers started to build a D ticket
they designed and did a perfect theming, over the top, new and state of the art innovative technos. They brought to life a treasured and loved Disney classic story loved by millions around the world. Each part of this amazing attraction blended together and they exceeded the D ticket and built a E Ticket.

That is the point and by what we have seen so far.....there really is no question about it.

However everyone is entitled too their own opinion. I would suggest Disney 71 let the many who agree how amazing this attraction turned out to have their own.

AKK

unkadug

With all do respect, I think Disney 71 and your self have missed the point The Imaginers started to build a D ticket
they designed and did a perfect theming, over the top, new and state of the art innovative technos. They brought to life a treasured and loved Disney classic story loved by millions around the world. Each part of this amazing attraction blended together and they exceeded the D ticket and built a E Ticket.

That is the point and by what we have seen so far.....there really is no question about it.

However everyone is entitled too their own opinion. I would suggest Disney 71 let the many who agree how amazing this attraction turned out to have their own.

AKK
Obviously your and my definition of "E" ticket are not the same.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't recall. There's a lot of physical sets and effects that are very real. I'd say more than 15%.

There was some talk from 74 in the latest Spirit thread of some internal conflict over at Uni related to their overuse of screens. I think whylightbulb also chimed in with some similar thoughts. I don't remember anyone mentioning a specific percentage of screens. It's good to hear there are still going to be a lot of physical sets.

MerlinTheGoat

I don't recall. There's a lot of physical sets and effects that are very real. I'd say more than 15%.
I found the post and 85% was indeed the number whylightbulb estimated for the attraction's show elements being screen based. May or may not be exaggerated, but he apparently had a hand in its creation so i'm inclined to assume he knows what he's talking about.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...rvations-thoughts.882599/page-30#post-6038275

74 speaks the truth. There are those within the ranks of Creative, and many of those that are no longer working for Creative, that are a little tired of the reliance on video screens as the center of Universal’s attraction roster. Just like the original FJ concept, Gringotts started out as a nicely balanced ride that included a judicious mix of video and practical sets/show action and effects. Due to the very same reasons FJ suffered the loss of multiple practical, illusion/effect-based scenes Gringotts has become about 85% screen-based. Once again I need to qualify this with a great big – THIS RIDE WILL STILL BE A LOT OF FUN AND MANY WILL FIND IT TO BE SPECTACULAR. Please remember the following comes from someone who has been working on the project for several years now and therefore may see this from a very different perspective than many of you.

I do want to mention so it doesn't look like i've my head up Disney's rear- there are plenty of newer Disney attractions just as guilty of using too many screens as Universal attractions. I can name a fair few. Toy Story Mania is a good example. The so called headliner "E ticket" planned for Avatar is also said to be a Soarin-type simulator likely with very few (if any) physical elements. Main reason i'm more interested in the boat ride at this point which I hope is not canceled or value engineered to hell. There are also some rumors (hopefully unfounded) that Shanghai's version of Pirates is going to forgo the traditional physical sets/animatronics in order to make scenes more video based, don't know whether there's any truth to that. We'll see what becomes of Ratatouille, looks like there are some nice physical sets but i'm sure it will use a lot of video as well. I'm also a bit worried about Tom Fitzgerald taking over creativity at EPCOT (despite articos and tirian saying that this is a good thing, i'm still worried until we see otherwise). Even the otherwise fantastic Mystic Manor uses more video than i'd have liked...

So despite the Mine Train and some other Disney rides using physical elements, Universal isn't the only one open for complaints for overusing screens. Sounds like there are a number of people in Disney that want to go down the same path.

Last edited:

unkadug

Fair enough...........I feel it meets all the general noted requirements, except it's not a thrill ride, which for most is not a requirement.

We can agree to disagree.

AKK
I don't think that being a thrill ride is an prerequisite to being an "E" ticket at all. In fact most of the original "E" tickets were far from being thrill rides.
MBs-5-600x380.jpg

bhg469

I don't think that being a thrill ride is an prerequisite to being an "E" ticket at all. In fact most of the original "E" tickets were far from being thrill rides.
View attachment 52685
All those attractions have a much longer ride times. One of the things I consider to be a must for an actual e ticket. Another reason thrill rides do not automatically = E ticket.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
All those attractions have a much longer ride times. One of the things I consider to be a must for an actual e ticket. Another reason thrill rides do not automatically = E ticket.

This is how I look at it too. The ride has to be either cutting edge technically, have a long ride time with lots of show scenes and be truly epic or has to be a can't miss attraction that I would pay to get into the park just to see. The last one is highly subjective, but anymore the letter designation is a matter of opinion anyway.

disneyman87

From the videos I've seen it's wonderful. I actually prefer it over Snow White's Scary Adventures. I know that ride was there when the park first opened, but everyone I know who's been on it said it was too scary. A young girl I know said she had nightmares for weeks because of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom