Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Preview Thoughts

Tonka's Skipper

The only functioning show scene on Everest uses a screen and a very poorly done animation. The descent portion of spaceship earth, pretty much makes you look at a screen. I believe that the use of screens just makes sense in a lot of places but yes, both parks over use them. I just don't see how forbidden journey would be possible without them but it is very hard for me to get through those scenes without feeling nauseous. It is still an amazing attraction though and I will go on it again, I just hope they don't stop trying to improve the screens technology to make it a little easier to watch.

And the entire rest of the Everest attraction is theming. Not mention at least a 15 + attractions with no screens, except in the lines and loading unloading area. As you and I both mentioned the proper use of screens are fine. However from what I can remember there is much more use of screens at Uni, E.I. Spider man.

The hole in your facts is that apparently there is considerable debate within the Uni creative team that the are too reliant on screens.

AKK

But we can agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Redsky89

Original Poster
I think I was expecting something more like Big Thunder Mountain. It has its parts it slows down and still has its fun dips and speed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And the entire rest of the Everest attraction is theming..
Apart from the half a ride that's pitch black apart from light leaks.... Grrrr....

Excellent I am glad we agree!..however there are many others who keep pushing only attractions that are thrill rides (in some form or another) are an E ticket
Then they're wrong.

Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion are amongst the perfect examples of an E ticket.

LithiumBill

I'm super sorry to say that I haven't been on it, we rode forbidden journey and my poor wife was so sick we had to call it a day :(
I'm sorry to hear that. I've not ridden Forbidden Journey for other reasons...being that I'm a big guy, I did not fit! (I've lost almost 50 pounds since my last visit, so maybe next time)

mharrington

Excuse me, I did not read through several pages of this, but we're getting WAY off-topic here. This is about the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ride, not another (tired) comparison between WDW and Universal, or another anti-Iger thread. So can we please just get back to the ride?

I have a question: although I'm not sure if anyone can answer it, because it's too hard to tell by the videos, but does anyone know who does the voices of the dwarfs?

bhg469

I'm sorry to hear that. I've not ridden Forbidden Journey for other reasons...being that I'm a big guy, I did not fit! (I've lost almost 50 pounds since my last visit, so maybe next time)
I hope you do because I think I barely made it on forbidden journey. I need to get back to fighting shape.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
It's funny you put it like this because when they unveiled the new "low budget" Barnstormer last year, with it's cost effective chicken wire fences, my first though was "what's this piece of junk doing here"? But now seeing the Mine Train come together I'm starting to think the Barnstormer's days are probably numbered
For an adult, Barnstormer is ridiculously uncomfortable to ride. When I dragged my bony behind off it last time, I could scarcely walk.

The ride was a virtual walk-on at the time, but my 9 year old niece had zero interest in re-riding.

Yeah, I can see Barnstormer's days being numbered.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I hope you do because I think I barely made it on forbidden journey. I need to get back to fighting shape.
For an adult, Barnstormer is ridiculously uncomfortable to ride. When I dragged my bony behind off it last time, I could scarcely walk.

The ride was a virtual walk-on at the time, but my 9 year old niece had zero interest in re-riding.

The problem with removing Barnstormer is What is left of StoryBook? A squirting train and Dumbo? Circus is barely anything but retail, meet and greet photo ops and restrooms now. Take Barnstormer out and Dumbo is the only ride in Circus.

I agree about the comfort of Barnstormer but it is not limited to adult discomfort. My kids like me always had a problem with the seat design for you back. It was designed in reverse, in stead of molding to your body like bucket seats or even flat, it a reverse bucket seat that stabs ya in the spine throughout the whole ride experience. My husband contends that they engineered the seat backs wrong in the plans and it ordered in Mirror Image of what it should have been.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
The problem with removing Barnstormer is What is left of StoryBook? A squirting train and Dumbo? Circus is barely anything but retail, meet and greet photo ops and restrooms now. Take Barnstormer out and Dumbo is the only ride in Circus.

I agree about the comfort of Barnstormer but it is not limited to adult discomfort. My kids like me always had a problem with the seat design for you back. It was designed in reverse, in stead of molding to your body like bucket seats or even flat, it a reverse bucket seat that stabs ya in the spine throughout the whole ride experience. My husband contends that they engineered the seat backs wrong in the plans and it ordered in Mirror Image of what it should have been.
I hear ya - but seriously, isn't it time to go back to the drawing board with Storybook Circus?
Personally, I preferred the two walk-through summer homes.

Barnstormer must have a big enough footprint to allow something else to be built there.
And heaven knows, removal of the Speedway would free up a ton of property.

spacemt354

Chili's

If 7DMT is going to be a beginner ride, I agree. Why even bother with Barnstormer? It's less than a minute with minimal theme.

It would be smart of Disney to add something else there. A dark ride would be my choice. Something through Goofy's fun-house to fit into the circus theme. But unfortunately that is too obvious for TDO these days. Plus at their construction pace we wouldn't see it till 2020 anyway.;)

So it looks like we are stuck with the Barnstormer.

Animaniac93-98

What could they really replace Barnstormer with? Another flat ride? It's not much space to work with and I'd rather not see more rides removed in favour of retail/food/characters.

doctornick

I hear ya - but seriously, isn't it time to go back to the drawing board with Storybook Circus?

I think the problem with Storybrook Circus development was the lack of new rides. Casey is cute for what it is, but it's a minor addition. Doubling the capacity of Dumbo is great for guests, but still is the same ride more or less. They really needed to put a new ride (e.g. Pinocchio) in place of the tent M&G or put the Casey Jr ride instead of the splash park. That would have helped make Storybrook Circus a more complete land. (Side note: it shouldn't be a subland of Fantasyland, it really should be it's own land.)

If 7DMT is going to be a beginner ride, I agree. Why even bother with Barnstormer? It's less than a minute with minimal theme.

DL has done just fine for years with Gadget's Go Coaster (the same thing basically as Barnstormer) together with the Matterhorn (which was for a long time a 38" "starter" coaster that kids could enjoy). Don't see why this would be any different with MK.

raymusiccity

why are you comparing a ride designed for tweens-teens to a ride that was designed for 3-8 year olds?

How does Gringotts stack up against the rest of fantasyland?
The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

Mickey's PhilharMagic
Peter Pan's Fligh
Enchanted Tales with Belle
Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
The Barnstormer

Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid
Princess Fairytale Hall
It's a Small World
Mad Tea Party

I would imagine Gringotts destroys everything in Fantasyland. I sure hope it does, or else something is wrong.
On that not I'm on my way to take the boys' 8th grade basketball all-stars to play the 3rd grade all-stars.
Should be a close game since they are both all star teams.

Apples and Oranges comparisons whenever you're listing Uni v. Disney. I've yet to see a POV video from Forbidden Journey that holds a candle to the Mine scene and the dwarves animitronics.

All six of our grandchildren are looking forward to riding the Mine coaster when we return for MNSSHP!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Personally, I preferred the two walk-through summer homes.

Barnstormer must have a big enough footprint to allow something else to be built there.
And heaven knows, removal of the Speedway would free up a ton of property.

Yep, I liked all the versions of Toon over Circus. Donald Ducks boat they could play on, the Train they can't. I loved Minnie and Mickey's Houses and the Short Skits in the tents. My kids likely did 4 different versions of Toon over the years.

I'm going to be surprised if they start editing Storybook or FLE anytime soon. Too much else that needs more help.
And Barnstormer still eats people during the day and high seasons.

spacemt354

Chili's
DL has done just fine for years with Gadget's Go Coaster (the same thing basically as Barnstormer) together with the Matterhorn (which was for a long time a 38" "starter" coaster that kids could enjoy). Don't see why this would be any different with MK.

Because it's a different environment.

Factor in a few things.
1) Families who travel to Disney World (on average) are there on vacation, as opposed to going in for the day.
2) Because of (1), families only have so much time to hit the top attractions during their stay.
3) 7DMT is a buffed-up, expanded, and better themed Barnstormer ride (that's not an insult, that's just reality)

7DMT will look "cooler" to little kids when compared to Barnstormer. Therefore, combining all of the factors above, what purpose does Barnstormer serve? It pales in comparison to 7DMT. It's like having the Haunted Mansion, then down the road have a carnival Haunted House ride.

DL gets away with it because of the plethora of dark rides (and rides in general) within their Magic Kingdom, in addition to the laid back formalities of most of their guests. Also, the lines are not as long. I wouldn't mind riding Gadget's Go coaster if the line is 5 mins, regardless of whether or not Matterhorn is next door. Something like a 60 minute wait at Disneyland is considered long and rare unless during peak times. At WDW for some attractions, especially Fantasyland ones, 60 mins is an average wait time.

Kids are going to want to ride 7DMT over Barnstormer as their "starter" coaster on their vacation. Expect those families to either have a FP+ for it, or wait a very long time. After waiting a long time, why would they use more vacation time to go ride Barnstormer, if they basically just rode a better version of it?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom