Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Preview Thoughts

tl77

I don't think that being a thrill ride is an prerequisite to being an "E" ticket at all. In fact most of the original "E" tickets were far from being thrill rides.
View attachment 52685

I agree that thrill rides aren't the only E tickets, but originally WDW didn't have any thrill rides until 1975 when Space Mountain opened and this ticket seems to predate that

yensidtlaw1969

I think the biggest issue that I have with calling the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train an E Ticket is this: in a time where attractions like Radiator Springs Racers, Mystic Manor, Ratatouille, and some of the big things in development for Shanghai Disneyland are defining themselves as the best of the best from Disney in contemporary times, it seems unfair to pretend this attraction lives up to those same standards. It simply isn't as ambitious.

Do I think it would have been appropriate for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train to be any "bigger" than it already is? Maybe not. It didn't need to swing for the fences, and it would have been perhaps counter-intuitive to the mission of New Fantasyland to do so. Another show scene would have been nice, as would that extra track that was planned, but as it is it seems to do basically what it sets out to do and is clearly the best thing in it's respective area. However, that does not mean it automatically represents the highest tier of what this this company has to offer. They are simply creating better experiences elsewhere that are inarguably of E-Ticket status.

That does not mean there's no room for debate, but put what this attraction achieves up next to something like Mystic Manor, or Radiator Springs Racers. Even the Indiana Jones Adventure, nearly 20 years old now, still offers much more with regards to ambition than this new attraction. It simply does not compete. It was never meant to, and that's plenty fine -- but that's why it's a D Ticket, not an E.

spacemt354

Chili's
Like what? Honestly. Unless WDW's attendance falls dramatically nothing is going to happen. Also I like how you said "could be" its adorably naive.

It might happen sooner than you think. Uni's efforts might be the best thing to happen to Disney World. Management isn't going to build, unless their pockets start to get thinner. Uni keeps taking days away from Disney vacations and sooner or later they are going to be forced into "competing."

In a way I'm rooting for Harry Potter part 2 to be a home run and show Disney up yet again. Hopefully it will be a wake up call to Disney management that they need to get down to business (to defeat the Huns ;))

Kinda sad we have to resort to cheering for competition in order to get something built that's not a mall or DVC resort in Disney these days.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Put it in perspective...

After riding this... how many kids do you think will get off the barnstormer thinking 'wth is this piece of junk doing here'? This ride will spoil them on what a coaster experience can be. When you look at it like that, you are reminded on just how much this attraction brings to the table for what it's intended to be.

BacchusStoppus

It's no beef steak, but it's also not a dead rat. And there have been some great additions over the last 20 years in my humble opinion.
None that I can think of. Be completely honest has there been 1 single attraction added to WDW in the last 20 years that is on the exact level or higher than the Haunted Mansion, JII,Tower of Terror, Pirates, Big Thunder, or Splash Mountain? I don't think there has. Everest sort of came close but the effects quit working right off the bat and everything else has been half baked.

spacemt354

Chili's
None that I can think of. Be completely honest has there been 1 single attraction added to WDW in the last 20 years that is on the exact level or higher than the Haunted Mansion, JII,Tower of Terror, Pirates, Big Thunder, or Splash Mountain? I don't think there has. Everest sort of came close but the effects quit working right off the bat and everything else has been half baked.

Tower of Terror opened July 22, 1994. So technically that was within the last 20 years.

Among others: Test Track, Kilimanjaro's Safari, MIssion: Space, and Everest off the top of my head.

With a few more show scenes I would have put 7DMT on this list as well.

BacchusStoppus

Anyways, so shall we get back on to the topic at hand? Lets see it's a 2 minute ride that took 5 years to build and has a hand full of good AA's. The end.

wannab@dis

Does anyone have a quick list of ride times? I'm thinking of Tower of Terror, RnRC, Space Mtn, Big Thunder, Everest, Soarin' and others. It seems like the "short" ride time of 2 1/2 minutes is being used as a negative for this attraction by several. However, I see the ride time as similar to other popular attractions.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Does anyone have a quick list of ride times? I'm thinking of Tower of Terror, RnRC, Space Mtn, Big Thunder, Everest, Soarin' and others. It seems like the "short" ride time of 2 1/2 minutes is being used as a negative for this attraction by several. However, I see the ride time as similar to other popular attractions.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/ridelength.htm

ToT is 5 minutes
RnRC is 1 minute 22 seconds
Everest is 2 minutes 51 seconds
Sourin' is 5 minutes

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unofficial list

Tower of Terror - 5 mins
RNRC - 1.5 mins
Space - 2.5
BTMRR - 3.5
EE - 3
Soarin - 5 mins

Of those I would say RNRC is a borderline E ticket at best for me. The rest are solid E. I agree with others that the shorter ride time keeps Mine Train from being a true E. That doesn't mean I think it's a bad ride or a fail. Just not an E. If it had an additional indoor scene and was closer to the track length of BTMRR it most definitely would be.

spacemt354

Chili's

The difference is 7DMT is touted as half coaster/half dark ride.

Dark rides such as Haunted Mansion and Pirates run about 6-8 minutes. Coasters like RnRC and Space Mountain are about 2-3 minutes.

So therefore, the ride time is brought into account, because from my view it should fall somewhere in the middle. Something like a 4-5 minute ride time. (To be considered an E-ticket for me that is)

Animaniac93-98

All of those rides you listed, save RnRC, have longer run times, even when excluding ToT's pre-show. This also ignores the speed with which RnRC and Everest travels that creates their run time or their own issues with minimal interior theming.

The dwarf mine train is a mix of dark ride and coaster, but neither is long enough to satisfy on their own terms. Some also feel the ending is aburpt, and that there is no "story" (not that it bothers me). As a result, the ride feels short.The two coaster parts are equally balanced, but the second show scene looks lacking when compared to the first. The ride just kinda...stops.

Other rides accomplish different things with their run time, based on what they set out to do. Mermaid in comparison is 6 minutes, but people feel the story is still rushed, because that's what it tries to achieve. Peter Pan is half the length, but satisfies more because the focus is on the experience of flying and sightseeing.

LithiumBill

It might happen sooner than you think. Uni's efforts might be the best thing to happen to Disney World. Management isn't going to build, unless their pockets start to get thinner. Uni keeps taking days away from Disney vacations and sooner or later they are going to be forced into "competing."

In a way I'm rooting for Harry Potter part 2 to be a home run and show Disney up yet again. Hopefully it will be a wake up call to Disney management that they need to get down to business (to defeat the Huns ;))

Kinda sad we have to resort to cheering for competition in order to get something built that's not a mall or DVC resort in Disney these days.
if you are a park fan at all, you SHOULD BE ROOTING for UNI... just for that reason. We want an arms race, because we all benefit from it.

wannab@dis

So, for MK, the ride time is not that short when compared to Space and Big Thunder. I've always seen 7DMT "touted" as a family coaster. Looks like they have a coaster with an average ride time similar and it has nice show scenes. The whole D/E ticket is completely subjective and seems to have changed over the decades since it was introduced. I personally don't care about the ticket assignment. This attractions looks like a great addition to the park and my bet is it will have a lot of long lines and happy riders.

tl77

Put it in perspective...

After riding this... how many kids do you think will get off the barnstormer thinking 'wth is this piece of junk doing here'? This ride will spoil them on what a coaster experience can be. When you look at it like that, you are reminded on just how much this attraction brings to the table for what it's intended to be.

It's funny you put it like this because when they unveiled the new "low budget" Barnstormer last year, with it's cost effective chicken wire fences, my first though was "what's this piece of junk doing here"? But now seeing the Mine Train come together I'm starting to think the Barnstormer's days are probably numbered

Tonka's Skipper

I found the post and 85% was indeed the number whylightbulb estimated for the attraction's show elements being screen based. May or may not be exaggerated, but he apparently had a hand in its creation so i'm inclined to assume he knows what he's talking about.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...rvations-thoughts.882599/page-30#post-6038275

I do want to mention so it doesn't look like i've my head up Disney's rear- there are plenty of newer Disney attractions just as guilty of using too many screens as Universal attractions. I can name a fair few. Toy Story Mania is a good example. The so called headliner "E ticket" planned for Avatar is also said to be a Soarin-type simulator likely with very few (if any) physical elements. Main reason i'm more interested in the boat ride at this point which I hope is not canceled or value engineered to hell. There are also some rumors (hopefully unfounded) that Shanghai's version of Pirates is going to forgo the traditional physical sets/animatronics in order to make scenes more video based, don't know whether there's any truth to that. We'll see what becomes of Ratatouille, looks like there are some nice physical sets but i'm sure it will use a lot of video as well. I'm also a bit worried about Tom Fitzgerald taking over creativity at EPCOT (despite articos and tirian saying that this is a good thing, i'm still worried until we see otherwise). Even the otherwise fantastic Mystic Manor uses more video than i'd have liked...

So despite the Mine Train and some other Disney rides using physical elements, Universal isn't the only one open for complaints for overusing screens. Sounds like there are a number of people in Disney that want to go down the same path.

I believe the point is that too many of Uni's attractions do a over reliance on Tv screens to build the attraction.

Attractions like TYM is a attraction based on being in a video game, it kinda hard not to use TV screens in that one. Soar and the other World show case countries that use movies to present the culture and beauty of their homeland, seems again hard not to use a Movie, and it is presented as being a movie.

I guess I will take another look at this in the fall, as I don't remember so many TV screens in the previous trip.

AKK

Disney Analyst

The rest of the New Fantasyland facades as I recall were lit up properly well before they opened to anyone, including Little Mermaid and Beast's Castle. Same goes for Radiator Springs Racers as well. Pretty sure people had pictures and videos of those attractions' facades properly lit up some time before they even soft opened.

Mine Train is basically "done" at this point, even if it hasn't officially opened to everyone. They have given it test runs to non-Disney employees even with the queue elements fully functional. Anything they tweak from here on at this point is probably not going to be related to visible show elements. Probably tweaking the underlying mechanical aspects, timing and such. I'll be surprised if they're still making tweaks to anything visual, would love to be wrong but it looks pretty much done at this point. If any insiders know otherwise, feel free to correct me.

I disagree, I feel I remember RSR having it's mountain lighting played with and tweaked many times before it arrived at it's final look maybe a week or two before opening.

bhg469

I believe the point is that too many of Uni's attractions do a over reliance on Tv screens to build the attraction.

Attractions like TYM is a attraction based on being in a video game, it kinda hard not to use TV screens in that one. Soar and the other World show case countries that use movies to present the culture and beauty of their homeland, seems again hard not to use a Movie, and it is presented as being a movie.

I guess I will take another look at this in the fall, as I don't remember so many TV screens in the previous trip.

AKK
The only functioning show scene on Everest uses a screen and a very poorly done animation. The descent portion of spaceship earth, pretty much makes you look at a screen. I believe that the use of screens just makes sense in a lot of places but yes, both parks over use them. I just don't see how forbidden journey would be possible without them but it is very hard for me to get through those scenes without feeling nauseous. It is still an amazing attraction though and I will go on it again, I just hope they don't stop trying to improve the screens technology to make it a little easier to watch.

LithiumBill

The only functioning show scene on Everest uses a screen and a very poorly done animation. The descent portion of spaceship earth, pretty much makes you look at a screen. I believe that the use of screens just makes sense in a lot of places but yes, both parks over use them. I just don't see how forbidden journey would be possible without them but it is very hard for me to get through those scenes without feeling nauseous. It is still an amazing attraction though and I will go on it again, I just hope they don't stop trying to improve the screens technology to make it a little easier to watch.
The best ride in Orlando is Spider-Man, and I forget it uses screens...because it is so well done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom