Ring removed from pavement at Haunted Mansion

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
ok? why would they do that? i mean was it really a big deal that they had to spend some money to get ride of and awesome mistake/detail? perhaps they wil add a new one? one thats actually a ring?

I am sure there had to be a reason. Disney doesnt do something unless there is a reason. My guess, during peak times, people were causing a back up in the exit line because they were stopping to look at something that was not part of the attaction. So, they removed it, knowing that for a while people would probably back up the exit line looking for something that was not there. Once word gets out that its gone, 6 mos, maybe a year? they wont have any more problems.

iheartdisney91

I am sure there had to be a reason. Disney doesnt do something unless there is a reason. My guess, during peak times, people were causing a back up in the exit line because they were stopping to look at something that was not part of the attaction. So, they removed it, knowing that for a while people would probably back up the exit line looking for something that was not there. Once word gets out that its gone, 6 mos, maybe a year? they wont have any more problems.

true i have to admit i stopped and looked for it too. perhaps they will make a new one like right behing the hurse? i never really noticed the scrims i just noticed the tear in the wall paper on one of the portraits in the strechng room

Eyorefan

I have to say, I have been reading this thread not really caring about the ring one way or the other. Now that I see the pictures of the crummy patch job they did when they took the ring/gate thing out, I have to really ask why?

What was the point of that? It's obvious the ring/gate had a following. It's not like they improved the look of that spot. If anything it looks worse.
Oh well, one of those things we will never know the answer to.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
well, i guess that future generations wont get the chance to see and pass on this highly speculated rumor or tale. thanks for the pics.

raven

What are "scrims"?

I think they are referring to the canvas covers for the que line that hang over?

Scrims are actually cloth netting that can be lit from either side. Lighting a painted scrim from the front will produce a solid fabric look (ex: ceiling in the stretch rooms) and when they are lit from the other side they are transparent (which is why you can see the hanging body after the lights go out).

I believe the scrims they are talking about though is in the graveyard. There are floor-to-ceiling length black scrims between your vehicle and the animitronics. These give the graveyard features a slight foggy look to them. You normally woudn't be able to see them but they are begining to sag so there are visible wrinkles in it which ruin the illusion. They just need to pull the slack on them and everything will look as it is supposed to.

:wave:

csm

Scrims are actually cloth netting that can be lit from either side. Lighting a painted scrim from the front will produce a solid fabric look (ex: ceiling in the stretch rooms) and when they are lit from the other side they are transparent (which is why you can see the hanging body after the lights go out).

I believe the scrims they are talking about though is in the graveyard. There are floor-to-ceiling length black scrims between your vehicle and the animitronics. These give the graveyard features a slight foggy look to them. You normally woudn't be able to see them but they are begining to sag so there are visible wrinkles in it which ruin the illusion. They just need to pull the slack on them and everything will look as it is supposed to.

:wave:

Just to specify - Scrims do not have to be cloth or material. Tower of Terror uses thin metal for the scrims in the corridor scenes.

NeedABreak

I have to say, I have been reading this thread not really caring about the ring one way or the other. Now that I see the pictures of the crummy patch job they did when they took the ring/gate thing out, I have to really ask why?

What was the point of that? It's obvious the ring/gate had a following. It's not like they improved the look of that spot. If anything it looks worse.
Oh well, one of those things we will never know the answer to.

I'm with you. The ring was neat, but I had seen it. I would miss the little touch but the attraction would still be great.

Now that I see the new pics the whole job looks messy. That kind of patch job might be just fine any other place on the planet but not in the exit of one of the most beloved attractions in WDW. Lets hope there is a good reason for all this.

DznyRktekt

Last time I was in Epcot I noticed there were many poor quality patches on concrete throughout the park as well. Maybe this is a new way to help distract us from seeing the gum stuck to the ground. Hopefully this is the mansion's quick fix until the rehab.

SirGoofy

The ring was a nice little thing to make up stories about, unfortunately that's all it was. Here's to hoping the HM gets some TLC.

cb3k

OK...this may upset some people, and again everyone should take this with a grain of salt. I had the privledge of spending dec. 22 to the 27 at Ft Wilderness, and on one of the nights (I cant recall which), the MK had extra magic hours from 12 to 3 in the morning....I was there with my two younger sisters and we ended up running into an AWESOME CM named Janet...she was a member of the dream squad and her job for the night was to walk around adventureland and be social...Anyways, she rode on POTC, Jungle Cruise, and HM with us...After HM she went to point out the ring and another CM came over and told her it had been removed, and the WHOLE thing was gettting a massive refurb, and that Imagineers had been in there the past few weeks every day. He claimed that the entire thing (with the exception of track and doombuggies) would be different, and be made to be much scarier (like Phantom Manor)...He claimed that it was getting all digital audio and a storyline was going to be put into place.....I commented that this would enrage some "Purists", and he agreed, but noted that this is why DL's version will remain unscathed...He also mentioned that they were up in the air about the horseless carriage out front, they may keep it, but more than likely they will auction it off he claimed. Also, the "stretching pictures" will be moved to the Smithsonian and replaced with replicas that do not cost as much to maintain.....hmmm, what else...oh he said that the Hard opening date was september 26th, and it HAD TO BE COMPLETED....many CM's there agreed and confirmed what he was saying...and that had mixed emotions on it....Im not sure how I feel, but we will see.....

Lee

Adventurer
Major refurb coming to the Mansion...yeah.
As big as that post said? News to me. I'd be VERY surprised.

iheartdisney91

wow that sounds like a huge change! is it for the better though? its also sad that the original portraits are going to a museum.. oh well but the hurse? why must that go? to make a longer waiting area?

Epcot82Guy

Same here. Not all rubbish. Just some :wave:

Interesting. I will be curious to see this announcement. I think the Mansion could use some new updates and scenes. I always thought that as a kid that rooms should be changed out, added to, etc. When y'all's lips aren't so tight, I would love to hear some concepts being tossed around.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
OK...this may upset some people, and again everyone should take this with a grain of salt. I had the privledge of spending dec. 22 to the 27 at Ft Wilderness, and on one of the nights (I cant recall which), the MK had extra magic hours from 12 to 3 in the morning....I was there with my two younger sisters and we ended up running into an AWESOME CM named Janet...she was a member of the dream squad and her job for the night was to walk around adventureland and be social...Anyways, she rode on POTC, Jungle Cruise, and HM with us...After HM she went to point out the ring and another CM came over and told her it had been removed, and the WHOLE thing was gettting a massive refurb, and that Imagineers had been in there the past few weeks every day. He claimed that the entire thing (with the exception of track and doombuggies) would be different, and be made to be much scarier (like Phantom Manor)...He claimed that it was getting all digital audio and a storyline was going to be put into place.....I commented that this would enrage some "Purists", and he agreed, but noted that this is why DL's version will remain unscathed...He also mentioned that they were up in the air about the horseless carriage out front, they may keep it, but more than likely they will auction it off he claimed. Also, the "stretching pictures" will be moved to the Smithsonian and replaced with replicas that do not cost as much to maintain.....hmmm, what else...oh he said that the Hard opening date was september 26th, and it HAD TO BE COMPLETED....many CM's there agreed and confirmed what he was saying...and that had mixed emotions on it....Im not sure how I feel, but we will see.....

I think its a CM that needs to learn the old saying, "Loose lips sink ships....."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom