Ring removed from pavement at Haunted Mansion

Glasgow

For those skeptics that say the 'ring' never existed or wasn't intented to be there ... what is anything without imagination? The Haunted Mansion is just an enclosed building with a bunch of stuff in it. It's what it represents and the feelings that it invokes that make it so great, just like the 'ring' outside. THAT'S what people will miss .. not the fact that they removed a cut off gate pole from the ground.

csm

For those skeptics that say the 'ring' never existed or wasn't intented to be there ... what is anything without imagination? The Haunted Mansion is just an enclosed building with a bunch of stuff in it. It's what it represents and the feelings that it invokes that make it so great, just like the 'ring' outside. THAT'S what people will miss .. not the fact that they removed a cut off gate pole from the ground.

But there's one *very big difference* that you seem to be missing. Yes, the Haunted Mansion is just an enclosed building with a bunch of stuff in it. But it is intended to be a building. That circle in the pavement was never intended to be anything other than a piece of a gate.

Imagination is all well and good, and I don't think anyone here is bashing that. But the point that we're all trying to make clear is that while it's fun to think stuff up, that does not make the stuff you think up true.

iheartdisney91

But there's one *very big difference* that you seem to be missing. Yes, the Haunted Mansion is just an enclosed building with a bunch of stuff in it. But it is intended to be a building. That circle in the pavement was never intended to be anything other than a piece of a gate.

Imagination is all well and good, and I don't think anyone here is bashing that. But the point that we're all trying to make clear is that while it's fun to think stuff up, that does not make the stuff you think up true.

very well said! yes it wasnt supposed to be a ring yet people said it was the brides ring and they made up stories, i hope now that the cast members and people of disney know how the ring made history but i also think they should make an actual ring and put it right in front of the mansion so it dosnt cause any lines and crowds when exiting the mansion
(how long has the "ring" been there any way?)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
... but i also think they should make an actual ring and put it right in front of the mansion so it dosnt cause any lines and crowds when exiting the mansion

This is where I disagree. There is no other story to the HM (WDW version anyway) that I am aware of other than the house is where 999 happy haunts have taken up residence, and there is room for one more. The bride just happens to be one of the 999. The movie took alot of liberties with tying in different characters in the mansion.

iheartdisney91

This is where I disagree. There is no other story to the HM (WDW version anyway) that I am aware of other than the house is where 999 happy haunts have taken up residence, and there is room for one more. The bride just happens to be one of the 999. The movie took alot of liberties with tying in different characters in the mansion.

well... i mean stories that guests have come up with to explain the ring if you go on google and type in haunted mansion ring or bride or something along those lines you'll find "fan stories" thats what i mean:wave: i just thought the supposed ring was a nice touch

raven

OK...this may upset some people, and again everyone should take this with a grain of salt. I had the privledge of spending dec. 22 to the 27 at Ft Wilderness, and on one of the nights (I cant recall which), the MK had extra magic hours from 12 to 3 in the morning....I was there with my two younger sisters and we ended up running into an AWESOME CM named Janet...she was a member of the dream squad and her job for the night was to walk around adventureland and be social...Anyways, she rode on POTC, Jungle Cruise, and HM with us...After HM she went to point out the ring and another CM came over and told her it had been removed, and the WHOLE thing was gettting a massive refurb, and that Imagineers had been in there the past few weeks every day. He claimed that the entire thing (with the exception of track and doombuggies) would be different, and be made to be much scarier (like Phantom Manor)...He claimed that it was getting all digital audio and a storyline was going to be put into place.....I commented that this would enrage some "Purists", and he agreed, but noted that this is why DL's version will remain unscathed...He also mentioned that they were up in the air about the horseless carriage out front, they may keep it, but more than likely they will auction it off he claimed. Also, the "stretching pictures" will be moved to the Smithsonian and replaced with replicas that do not cost as much to maintain.....hmmm, what else...oh he said that the Hard opening date was september 26th, and it HAD TO BE COMPLETED....many CM's there agreed and confirmed what he was saying...and that had mixed emotions on it....Im not sure how I feel, but we will see.....

Um, no.

First of all that would mean gutting the entire building and starting from scratch on the decor. To change WOM into TT it took almost 3 years before it actually opened on a regular basis. HM is only supposed to be down for a few months, not a couple of years.

Secondly, the HM is a huge a attraction and there would be more press about something like that if it were to happen.

Thirdly, and I'm not trying to sound righteous or anything, but this is very hard to believe from someone with only 4 posts. I'm not saying that you are wrong because there are wrong CMs everywhere that tell things they like to believe is true, but posting a statement like that takes a very bold step on these boards unless you have some sort of documentation to back it up.

Members here are VERY knowlegable in almost everything to do with WDW. Some know more about one thing than another. We all have our specialty areas that we try to know everything about. The HM is mine and I would have heard something about this months ago through the inside sorces that I keep in contact with.

But welcome to the boards anyway and don't let this keep you from participating. :wave:

raven

True there isn't an official story since the HM sat empty at DL for 10 or so years while the Imagineers worked out their differences. The result today is simply a "retirement home for ghosts" and any story line is sketchy.

But what I love about the HM is that the fans have made it what it is today. And the Disney Co. have been made well aware of that and they even created the story line for the movie based around these stories. After the movie came out the HM started to slowly segway into that story. The DL version is almost completly there. Although I hated the movie I loved the detail they spent on keeping original scenery from the attraction in it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Whilst I doubt the HM rehab will involve many new additions (it`s supposed to be more of an IASW style restoration to original show quality specifications) it is scheduled for quite a lengthy rehab. World of Motion to Test Track on the other hand was physically done within a year or so; it was the ride control system and ride vehicles themselves which caused the embarrassing delay.

Perhaps more official news will appear closer the date; the rehab has been put back from its earlier original date due to unforseen circumstances elsewehere.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Um, have you seen the movie? The story was fan-based and has been talked about for ages around WDW and DL. It wasn't hard to research the movie.

Thats odd, I have probably been to WDW 20+ times in my lifetime, and I have never heard anyone talking about the "fan based" stories while waiting in line for Haunted Mansion. I dont even think I would give these supposed stories "urban legend" status. When we took the keys to the kingdom tour, the "ring" was explained as the gate post. There were no discussions of alternative story lines.

Now that being said, people may very well have said, "Oh, that must be the wedding ring from the bride ghost". I dont ever remember hearing anything about, Master Gracey being ripped apart from his secret love and commiting suicide, prior to the movie.

Unless someone can point me to some concrete evidence that there was a "movie" type story basis for the mansion prior to the Eddie Murphey, poorly done, movie, I will continue to support that there was nothing more to the story line which is relayed in the qua for the attraction prior to the movie.

raven

Thats odd, I have probably been to WDW 20+ times in my lifetime, and I have never heard anyone talking about the "fan based" stories while waiting in line for Haunted Mansion. I dont even think I would give these supposed stories "urban legend" status. When we took the keys to the kingdom tour, the "ring" was explained as the gate post. There were no discussions of alternative story lines.

Now that being said, people may very well have said, "Oh, that must be the wedding ring from the bride ghost". I dont ever remember hearing anything about, Master Gracey being ripped apart from his secret love and commiting suicide, prior to the movie.

Unless someone can point me to some concrete evidence that there was a "movie" type story basis for the mansion prior to the Eddie Murphey, poorly done, movie, I will continue to support that there was nothing more to the story line which is relayed in the qua for the attraction prior to the movie.

Do a little homework and you will find that it HAS been discussed for quite a while. There may even be threads here but they HAVE been talke about. Not nessecerily in the queue line but they have.

csm

Um, no.

First of all that would mean gutting the entire building and starting from scratch on the decor. To change WOM into TT it took almost 3 years before it actually opened on a regular basis. HM is only supposed to be down for a few months, not a couple of years.

That's a terrible example which does not at all prove a point here. Test Track involved a completely new, prototype ride system, as well as holes punched in the existing building and all new track and supports to go up outside. I'd call that a lot more than a scenic overlay.

I'm not saying something so complete *is* happening to the Haunted Mansion - simply that if it does, it will not involve any track, ride system or vehicle changes, and thus will basically be ready to roll as soon as the new decorating is done. It would definitely not take "a couple of years" or anything even close.

Glasgow

Big difference that I "seem to be missing"?

Haha -- this is an amusement park almost completely based on the premise of imagination, levity and invention and you're saying that because something was not intended that it should not hold creative value? Should they keep CMs from saying goodnight to George as well? Should only things designed and implemented by Imagineers be allowed in the parks?

I think maybe you are missing the point here - that people have embellished the Haunted Mansion story and taken it to new heights. I have no problem with that.

Well, perhaps we should just agree to disagree on this one! :) :wave:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I think maybe you are missing the point here - that people have embellished the Haunted Mansion story and taken it to new heights. I have no problem with that.

Thats fine, but when people start getting upset because Disney removed something that has been attributed to the "people story" of the Haunted Mansion and not the actual expressed story of the attraction, then the "peoples story" is the problem, not Disney.

iheartdisney91

Thats fine, but when people start getting upset because Disney removed something that has been attributed to the "people story" of the Haunted Mansion and not the actual expressed story of the attraction, then the "peoples story" is the problem, not Disney.

yeah.. you know,actually you have a point there.:king:

iheartdisney91

yeah you know you actually have a good point, how long has the ring been there anyway? does anyone remember seeing a pole there?(oops sry for the double post)

cb3k

Um, no.

Secondly, the HM is a huge a attraction and there would be more press about something like that if it were to happen.

Thirdly, and I'm not trying to sound righteous or anything, but this is very hard to believe from someone with only 4 posts. I'm not saying that you are wrong because there are wrong CMs everywhere that tell things they like to believe is true, but posting a statement like that takes a very bold step on these boards unless you have some sort of documentation to back it up.

Members here are VERY knowlegable in almost everything to do with WDW. Some know more about one thing than another. We all have our specialty areas that we try to know everything about. The HM is mine and I would have heard something about this months ago through the inside sorces that I keep in contact with.

But welcome to the boards anyway and don't let this keep you from participating. :wave:
You are more than welcome to think what you want...again, its all heresay. Because I have four posts doesnt mean anything...I had to change my username from "casconi" to this. Not trying to sound "righteous" as you say, but I would say Im extremely knowledgeable (24 visits since august 22), and I feel that can bolster more than a significant amount of posts on a message board....I read all of them, and as I said...Im not sure if it is true, but I am sure that a cm who works at HM is a little bit more knowledgeable on the subject than you are...the track system is not changing, just the interior decor...this can very easily be done from now until september 26th and enhancing audio, installing different props, and intensifying the experience seems to be a pretty minute task compared to other changes imagineers have encountered...I guess we will all see, soon enough.....Im not even a big fan of the change, just simply trying to convey what I heard to everyone else.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom