Ring removed from pavement at Haunted Mansion

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Glad the took it out. Got tired of people stopping without warning to look or gawk at the "ring".

If it was supposed to be there and such an important part of the story, they would not have taken it out.

Epcot82Guy

:D :D

I kinda like the ring story, but I am aware that the ring is pure fan fiction. If I remember correctly, even our Keys to the Kingdom tour guide told us it was fan fiction.

Yes, entirely fan fiction. But, some of those stories have started to permeate through. I've heard CMs refer to Gracey Manor. Upsetting "the master". etc. None of those technically are part of the "true" storyline, but, because of the incredibly strong attention to detail and other intentional creations, people do believe they are real. I think that is a big part of the Magic.

On a side note, have all the "rings"/poles been covered over? I would find it interesting if all but one is covered.

dxwwf3

Hopefully we will get the attic enhancements that DL got and that will actually add a storyline to the attraction to begin with.

CoffeeJedi

Wait how are you so sure that this was accidental? Did a CM tell you? Was this information enclosed by a WDW imagineer or worker? I am sure that the messge of this "accidental" ring in the ground coincided with the story of the bride who jumped to her death. I hope that you aren't letting your own opinion interfere with Disney "MAGIC". If it is true I would see no reason in covering it up unless they covered up the other rings.:brick:
No, its definitely accidental. I don't believe its a gate though, someone said that it was part of some sort of hurricane tie down loop that was removed (uncomfirmed). The "setting" is actually the tip of a screwdriver that broke off when they were trying to get it out. Not to mention that its far too small to actually fit on an adult finger.

Now, having said all that, i would LOVE it if they embedded a real ring in the pavement at some point, to give some credence to the legend (though i would hope that it was incredibly hidden and subtle, just like the "real" one.)

csm

I am sure that the messge of this "accidental" ring in the ground coincided with the story of the bride who jumped to her death.

Oops! You're confusing the word "sure" with the word "wrong"! :hammer:

I hope that you aren't letting your own opinion interfere with Disney "MAGIC".

Pot: "KETTLE, YOU ARE BLACK!" :brick:

Rob562

And no its was not part of a gate. Does this look anything like a gate part or fence or anything like that? and do you see any others around if it was a gate.

hauntedmansionring.jpg

(sigh) As others have said, the "ring" is/was a cylinder in the ground to accept a small post in order to secure a now-removed gate in its closed position. It's located in between two columns of an archway, where there looks to have been a gate at one time. The "ring" is/was exactly in line with where the gate would have been. In fact, if you look at the above photo, you can see above and to the left of the "ring" where the matching hole *used* to be for the post on the other half of the gate. It's a divot in the stone equidistant from the other side of the stone. The pair of holes are centered exactly in the middle of the archway.

One post hole got removed, the other didn't for some reason. And because of the shape of the post hole hardware, the "ring" myth got started. My guess is that the "gem" part of the "ring" is there to help secure the hardware into the cement. Otherwise, it's just a cylinder that over time could jiggle around and work loose. The part that juts out helps secure it in place.

-Rob

Refurb Coming

Just an idea here, but what if Disney chose now to fill it in due to an upcoming rehab of the ride. Could this be an indication that the WDW Haunted Mansion is going to have a solid story put into it and the "ring"was going to conflict with the new story line. Like I said, pure speculation, but this may actually be a good thing.

csm

Just an idea here, but what if Disney chose now to fill it in due to an upcoming rehab of the ride. Could this be an indication that the WDW Haunted Mansion is going to have a solid story put into it and the "ring"was going to conflict with the new story line. Like I said, pure speculation, but this may actually be a good thing.

Sorry, but your speculation has no logic behind it since there *was no ring* in the first place. Unless the new story of the Haunted Mansion is that there are no gates around the house, then no. This means nothing beyond general up-keep over time.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

I believe there is a story already. Why does it have to be the story that was told in the rather unsuccessfull movie with Eddie Murphy?

Story

There may be a new story coming similar to what they have done out at DL. And while the ring may not be part of the story this post shows there is a lot of confusion on if this is part of the story or not. Disney may be filling in the hole to just remove the debate.

Space Mountain

All I know is two things...

1. The "ring" is from an old gate

2. There is no official storyline.

Anyone who wants to disagree, go ahead but I am 100% sure on those two facts.

Miss Bell

Whether it was "official" or not, I always thought it was a cool detail, and it was pointed out to me by a cast member. I'll miss it.

C&D

Whether it was "official" or not, I always thought it was a cool detail, and it was pointed out to me by a cast member. I'll miss it.
+1
Whether true, based in fact, totally fabricated, it doesn't matter as it makes for a heck of a story/storyline. A lot of fairey tales evolved from inaccurate translations and, let us just say, literary freedoms. I shall miss the ring.

hauntdmansion79

It was never a real ring, just a cool and appropriate mistake. The way it was embedded into the concrete created the wedding ring effect. So many people knew about this and would make a note to find it.

If they are taking it out, so be it. However, it would be really neat if they embedded a REAL wedding ring in the concrete to satisfy all the fans of the ring, but this time do it with Disney quality.

mkepcotmgmak

The Beauty of Imagineering...

What makes Disney theme park storytelling so great is that the Imagineers set up a backbone to a story (names, locations and a general plot), and then expect Cast Members and even the Audience (Guests) to fill in their own details. I've heard many versions of the HM story, and told different ones myself... they have the same outline, but different variations, everytime...

as far as the ring - i'm not an expert on that... i did a backstage tour of the HM for about 2 hours. I walked all the sets and consider it one of the better parts of my College Program - i learned VERY interesting facts and 'errors' of the mansion that are still there today... the ring was never discussed - BUT... if some people/Guests/CMs want to tell a story about a ring, so be it! It's a very interesting story!!!

If a Guest asks me if the Tiki Birds are real... YOU BETCHA'!!!

What kind of tree is the Swiss Treehouse? It's a Banyon Tree! We have to rebuild the tree-house every five years or so because of shifting branches, etc...

so why not let a ring be a ring? (whether it is a ring or not!?) It's great storytelling and a very minor detail that I would say 75% of WDW Guests have never heard of or seen...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom