Ring removed from pavement at Haunted Mansion

WDWCPF98

Thats odd, I have probably been to WDW 20+ times in my lifetime, and I have never heard anyone talking about the "fan based" stories while waiting in line for Haunted Mansion. I dont even think I would give these supposed stories "urban legend" status. When we took the keys to the kingdom tour, the "ring" was explained as the gate post. There were no discussions of alternative story lines...

When I first heard the "Legend" of HM it was taught to me during my "Once Upon a Time is Now" class on my second day of Traditions. (For any cast members here Randy-Pan was the instructor) Disney encouraged us to retell the story to make magical moments for guests. That what makes the attraction! Like any other "haunted" house in the world it has it's own ghost story.

So the attraction does have a storyline! (I know I written this in a previous post but...) As you enter the mansion you get the feeling somethng is not right. You see shadows, you get the feeling busts and pictures are watching you, etc. Then you and the other guests form a circle around Mme. Leota (wait if there is no story how does she have an official name that pre-dates the movie?) and have a seance. Only after those spirits have been summoned are they visible to you. As you continue the tour you are met by Master Gracy's young bride. She is angry with you for touring her home and resting place and throws you out the attic window to your death. <<<<< NOW I KNOW IN PREVIOUS POSTS THAT POINT HAS BECOME A BIT CONTROVERSIAL. BUT WHY ELSE DO YOU DESEND FROM INSIDE AN ATTIC TO A GRAVEYARD OUTSIDE?>>> At that point the ghosts are no longer translucent, another STORY ELEMENT to help you believe you've become a ghost. (wait how can we have story elements if there is no story?) Also at that point the ghosts want to welcome you and "socialize". Now just before you leave the Mansion you see the bride again. ...Weird right? If there is no story at all, just random scenes from Rolly Crump's imagination why on Earth would the attraction end with her? It is actually because she decides to make you mortal again... a happy ending to the attraction.

I never understood why HM's storyline was such a hot topic... especially on a Disney World fan site! None of the other attraction's storylines are debated like this. Look at Space Mt. and BTM... thier stories are so much more vague!! Do people know why you zoom through a red roaring tunnel on Space? Or understand why you end up in the briar patch at the end of Splash? Come on people do you need it published in guide maps?

I mean do people remember the press releases: When archaeologists unearthed a 16 century wall near the castle. Belle tells stories there now. Or the press release about the proprietor of the Emporium being so successful that he expanded his store across Cross St.... Even the fact that Cross St. has a name. This is evidence that Disney has backstories for EVERYTHING!!!! Although not published they are very much official. That is the Disney difference! It is silly for people to randomly say, "HM has no story. Prove it does." Now you've heard the story. Prove it's not true!

csm

You are more than welcome to think what you want...again, its all heresay. Because I have four posts doesnt mean anything...I had to change my username from "casconi" to this. Not trying to sound "righteous" as you say, but I would say Im extremely knowledgeable (24 visits since august 22)

Ok first off - I think the logic that "I have more posts than you, so I know more" is simiply ridiculous- here, or anywhere. Truth be told, the general rule is that in most cases the people with the most posts are 15-16 year olds who just sit and post all day long.

That being said, how many times you've visited WDW in the past few months - by the exact same logic - proves nothing about what you do, or do not know. I'm not at all commenting on your opinions/claims/rumors/whatever, simply that your means of "proviing" your validity is flawed at best.

Lee

Adventurer
Then you and the other guests form a circle around Mme. Leota (wait if there is no story how does she have an official name that pre-dates the movie?) !
That's an easy one. They named her after the Imagineer (Leota Toombs) whose face you see in the ball. No story...just handy.

If there is no story at all, just random scenes from Rolly Crump's imagination why on Earth would the attraction end with her?....Now you've heard the story. Prove it's not true!
Easy. Should we start pulling out quotes from Rolly and Marc ( I think I have some from Tony B., too) that plainly state that there is no story?
The "story" is cute, and sort of fits, but is was not present when the ride was developed. It exists only as a product of guest/cm lore.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It is silly for people to randomly say, "HM has no story. Prove it does." Now you've heard the story. Prove it's not true!

I dont believe anyone has said that there was not a story behind the HM. I believe I specifically said that there was one, and it was told in the ride qua. What I was stating was that the WDW HM did not orriginally have the story that the movie portrays.

Further, and I am suprised that no one has stated it, is that if the WDW HM story actually was the story that was portrayed in the movie, then there actually would be a reason to remove the "ring". Master Gracy and his bride were finally reunited, needed the ring again, so they took it. There, problem solved, now everyone can go on about their merry ways. :D

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Truth be told, the general rule is that in most cases the people with the most posts are 15-16 year olds who just sit and post all day long.

Wrong, try again.

I am a 38 year old, gainfully employed, Disney fanatic, and allot of my posts are generated trying to correct inaccuracies posted by those that you originally identified.:D

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
csm said:
Truth be told, the general rule is that in most cases the people with the most posts are 15-16 year olds who just sit and post all day long.

I think that if you look at the member list and then sort by most posts, that you find the majority of the most posts are adults (well past their teen years:lol: ) :wave:

Cosmo

y'all will just have to forgive me, its been a very long day, i'm tired and my eyes hurt. i opened this post because of the title. Can someone just tell me if the "ring" is still there or not? (i really don't care about all the discussion, i will believe what i want to believe about the story). Is the ring still there?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If you read what I said closely, it included the words "in most cases" and stated that it was the "general" case... Not once did I say every single person. There's no need to be quite so arrogant.

In generall, and in most cases, I still think your statement is inaccurate.

raven

y'all will just have to forgive me, its been a very long day, i'm tired and my eyes hurt. i opened this post because of the title. Can someone just tell me if the "ring" is still there or not? (i really don't care about all the discussion, i will believe what i want to believe about the story). Is the ring still there?

What ring? :lookaroun

:lol: :wave:

iheartdisney91

from what i have heard it has been covered be cement so its there and its not there you know? you cant see it though, once again thats what i have read on this post:wave:

imagineer boy

No, it was cast into the fires of mount doom. It had to be destroyed you know.

iheartdisney91

ok this isnt about the ring but madame leota dosnt float in wdw right?(will she with the rehab?)(is wdw getting a new bride?)and are they in fact auctioning off the hurse? if so anyone know why? sry for all the questions i hope some one can clear this up for me! thanks guys!:wave:

iheartdisney91

Its gone.

hauntedmansionringgone12-26-2006.jpg

i didnt see this picture yet! omg that is horibble they did a crappy job it looks like gum!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom