Riding Mission: SPACE

Poodles

You may want to rethink your intentions regarding this ride. . .

Jun. 20th, 2005 -- The death of a 4-year-old boy last week on Disney World's Mission Space may have already played a hand in causing California to adopt stricter ride standards, and is now creating a showdown in Congress. In light of the death, Rep. Edward Markey (D-Mass.), an advocate of federal oversight for amusement park rides since 1999, is once again asking Congress to pass a bill for federal regulation.

http://www.thrillnetwork.com/stories_view.php/1077

Thursday, June 16, 2005
NEW YORK — Last year, more than 328 million people worldwide visited amusement parks but the death this week of one 4-year-old boy at Walt Disney World has led some to question whether more needs to be done to improve theme park safety.
Daudi Bamuwamye (search) died on a popular ride at Walt Disney World's Epcot Center. Since the "Mission: Space" attraction opened in 2003, seven people have been taken to the hospital for chest pains, fainting or nausea. The intense attraction simulates a rocket and spins riders around in a centrifuge.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,159706,00.html

Tim G

Tigger1988 said:
its not all in your mind, they lowered the speed/forces. I rode M:S during the soft opening, and nearly got sick. I rode it again last July, the speed was toned WAY down. We were told by a CM that they lowered the speed and pressure since its opening. Now i can ride it with no problem
FYI

M:S was NEVER toned down, the same profile is active...

DisneyDad2005

Mission Space

I took my family to WDW for the first time on vacation June 25 - July 1.
Fantastic ! My favorite ride was Mission Space. I took Dramamine and followed directions and had no problem at all. It was intense. My son and I rode twice !
I've always loved space exploration and had grown up during the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions, following them with much interest. So, this was a must ride for me !:D

DisneyDad2005

lostncyberspace

I get motion sickness, so I took a Dramamine (non-drowsy version) before going to Epcot and riding Mission: Space and I didn't get queasy at all. If you want to ride and are prone to motion sickness, I would definately recommend that you take some Dramamine or similar product before entering the park.

My problem was the very tight compartment, which I had not expected. It made me extremely claustrophobic and panicky feeling and all I wanted to do was get off the ride. Never again!

I would not recommend this ride if you are even slightly claustrophobic.

DisneyFreak529

It's funny because I'm one of those people who has to ride every ride because I'm a Disney Freak!! This one, I'm gona skip, I have riden TOT & all the costers.

Do you think I can do this ride! I love thrill rides, I guess I'm just scaried. My husband will not ride w/o me.

Lauriebar

I would at least try it once. Just be prepared for anything. I also ride everything in the parks and don't have a problem(RnRC is a little rough on me though:p ) and M:S kicked my butt!! I was out of sorts for about an hour but, the ride itself is so awesome I'm glad I did it. Will I do it again? More than likely not. Do I still recommend it? Yup.

MouseearsDeb

Lauriebar said:
I would at least try it once. Just be prepared for anything. I also ride everything in the parks and don't have a problem(RnRC is a little rough on me though:p ) and M:S kicked my butt!! I was out of sorts for about an hour but, the ride itself is so awesome I'm glad I did it. Will I do it again? More than likely not. Do I still recommend it? Yup.

Same here! I was discombobulated (sp) for about an hour or so. Will I ride it again? Probably not. But, if you're physically able to ride, I would do so once and then go from there. At the rate rides come and go, by the time you decide to ride, it could be gone. Then you'd be wishing you had!

danielj80

:wave: i've ridden it about 3-4 times in a row and felt fine, then do what i do lol ride spaceship earth a few times and then relax in there (i.e. doze off, even when jeremy irons is speaking :p) oh and also do ellens energy adventure aswell also a nice place to sleep (if u have the whole back row to yourself) lol then go back and do mission space again if u feel like it, i've done it a total of say 11 times in one day, the single riders line comes in handy if u want to get on quick during those busy hours of the day.

MickeyTigg

Hmmmm

I've ridden Mission: Space on an empty stomach, about a 1/2 hour after eating, and before eating. Never had any problems. Walked off and was fine.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
5. If you start to feel "sick" close your eyes, this has helped me SEVERAL times on that ride!

~heather
Former WDWCP CM (2003-2004)

wdwmagic said:
Here are some tips for riding Mission: SPACE

1. DO NOT ride immediately after eating

During the Flight....
2. DO NOT lean forward
3. DO NOT look left or right
4. DO Keep your head back against the headrest and focus straight ahead

Enjoy your trip to Mars! :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Fallen Angel said:
5. If you start to feel "sick" close your eyes, this has helped me SEVERAL times on that ride!

~heather
Former WDWCP CM (2003-2004)

I dont know about that one! ;) It may work for you, but closing your eyes goes against the directions given for the ride. Closing your eyes will most likely increase any disorientiation. The best advice remains to keep your eyes open looking straight ahead, watching the video display.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
wdwmagic said:
I dont know about that one! ;) It may work for you, but closing your eyes goes against the directions given for the ride. Closing your eyes will most likely increase any disorientiation. The best advice remains to keep your eyes open looking straight ahead, watching the video display.

Closing your eyes causes the same problem as going below deck if you are feeling seasick. When you are unable to fix on anything visual to correspond with the motion your inner ear is detecting...you will have a problem.

I hate Roller Coasters, especially ones in the dark (even the little drop in pirates gets to me) but I love Mission Space.

I do get a little light headed on it, but nothing to write home about, one extra tip though.

Plan you next ride carefully.

Once I went from M:S to Reflections of China. 10 secs of those sweeping panoramic views and I had to fix my eyes on the ground to stop myself being very ill!

But I've watched REflections of China before and never had a problem.

So, the tip is give your system time to get back on an even keel after coming off M:S before going to something else that might mess with your sence of equilibriam.

lostncyberspace said:
I get motion sickness, so I took a Dramamine (non-drowsy version) before going to Epcot and riding Mission: Space and I didn't get queasy at all. If you want to ride and are prone to motion sickness, I would definately recommend that you take some Dramamine or similar product before entering the park.

My problem was the very tight compartment, which I had not expected. It made me extremely claustrophobic and panicky feeling and all I wanted to do was get off the ride. Never again!

I would not recommend this ride if you are even slightly claustrophobic.

I always take my Dramamine before hitting the Roller Coasters and spinning rides. Dramamine rocks my world cause i'm a huge roller coaster nut and when I realized that I get motion sickness I was so disappointed. Thank god for Dramamine.

However, Last time I went was my first ride on Mission: Space and when I got in the ride I realized I hadn't taken my Dramamine. I thought I was screwed so I made sure to follow the directions from the Queue Line and I turned out fine. Maybe a little dizzy when I got off but not really motion sick. Maybe it was a fluke, so i'm not gonna risk it next time.

Gary Sinese ROCKS!

MickeyTigg

Tigger1988 said:
its not all in your mind, they lowered the speed/forces. I rode M:S during the soft opening, and nearly got sick. I rode it again last July, the speed was toned WAY down. We were told by a CM that they lowered the speed and pressure since its opening. Now i can ride it with no problem

This is absolutely false...I have it from an Imagineer (that worked on the ride) that I know (well, know through someone else) that this did not did not happen.

Sumr731

When we were there at the end of September a CM told us that they shortened the ride...not lowered the speed/forces......

dandaman

I'm pretty sure there would be no way to shorten the ride time... then the co-ordination of the "view window" movie would be all out of whack.

IMO, either I'm getting extremely used to riding M:S (I've counted about 12 rides :lol: ), or they toned down the forces.

mikeymouse

I absolutely will not ride roller coasters or anything like that due to motion sickness (or so i thought) and a fear of heights and this year I figured ... how many ppl have the chance to go on a real space shuttle launch, so I tried M:S. I really liked it. Went on it twice in early October '05. Got a little disoriented during the launch the first time, but was fine for the rest of the ride and the entire 2nd time. I got slightly nauseated, but nothing worse than a hunger feeling. After doing this, I got a "new set" and started riding everything ... ToT, RNRC, Dinosaur, Primevil Whirl, Soarin, TT, Splash MT, BTMRR without a problem. (still don't have the ***** to ride space mt tho) If they left the work lights on, I would. If you're in good health, try it ... it can't hurt. The boy that died (RIP) had a condition that caused him to go into sudden cardiac arrest. Believe me when I say, I would have regreted it more if I wouldn't have tried it at all. Just follow the instructions.

mikeymouse

No mishaps on my rides other than my door didn't close entirely and they had to reset the "cab" before the ride was clear to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom