Riding Mission: SPACE

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Sumr731 said:
When we were there at the end of September a CM told us that they shortened the ride...not lowered the speed/forces......

Please see the earlier post by Corrus. There has been no change to ride profile...that includes, speed, time, instructions, or colors...

bgraham34

Its funny because I know many people who were told the same thing but have not gone to Disney but they just heard it from other people. Its amazing how rumors just spread.

NashvilleTrio

Just to put in my two cents...My DH has problems with motion sickness and car sickness, but he did fine. I think the key is to follow the instructions and you should not have a problem.:)

Vortex

I did it back to back on Dec 29th... great ride! A Cast Member did confirm to me that the ride was "toned down" and is now less intense than it was during opening day(s).

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Vortex said:
I did it back to back on Dec 29th... great ride! A Cast Member did confirm to me that the ride was "toned down" and is now less intense than it was during opening day(s).

The cast member is wrong. As confirmed by members of Imagineering who created the attraction, its G Force levels remain fixed since the ride was prototyped in an aircraft hanger, and have never changed in Orlando.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sumr731 said:
When we were there at the end of September a CM told us that they shortened the ride...not lowered the speed/forces......

That is also mis-information. The duration of the ride has not been altered since it was installed in Orlando.

ssidiouss@mac.c

I dont care what people are saying... MISSION SPACE is definately TONED DOWN!!!!

I rode this ride the first month it opened, then a year later, and then again last month..

Theres just no way that my body got used to it by riding it once a year.. This ride is WAYYYY toned down from the first month that it opened. Its not even close.

Its a shame that because the ride is so toned down now.. you cant even feel that cool sensation as much when you "break atmosphere."

Now you all can start telling me that you know the uncle of a brother of an imagineer that says its not toned down.. but I rode the dang thing the frist month and i rode it again last month.. its just not the same.

And its not that my body has just "gotten used to it" after riding it once a year. Splash Mountain's drop is just as intense as it ever was, Rock'N'Roller Coaster's take off is just as thrilling as it it ever was, and I can feel the Tower Of Terror's free fall in my stomach as much as i ever had. But mission space's spin is nothing like it was the first month that I rode it.

But lets give the uncle of a brother of a friend of an imagineer the benefit of a doubt.. maybe its true that Mission Space has never been toned down. If that is true , and the ride is not toned down, then the ride is BROKEN and in need of repair as it is not spinning at the same rate it was a few years ago.

SpongeScott

ssidiouss@mac.c said:
I dont care what people are saying... MISSION SPACE is definately TONED DOWN!!!!
:rolleyes: whatever....

I'll go on record as saying it's more intense since it "got" to me a little last time I rode it.

MickeyTigg

ssidiouss@mac.c said:

Well....don't believe then....but you're still wrong. I have it on direct word from an imagineer that worked on Mission: Space that it has not been toned down and cannot be toned down without totally losing the sensation of the ride.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
ssidiouss@mac.c said:
Now you all can start telling me that you know the uncle of a brother of an imagineer that says its not toned down.. but I rode the dang thing the frist month and i rode it again last month.. its just not the same.

You are not even close with that assessment. I think if you look through the history of my site, you will see if I have had access to information that goes far being an uncle of a brother as you put it.

You are free ot think whatever you like, but the facts are, and the are facts, the GForce is unchanged, and the ride has not been toned down in any way.

ssidiouss@mac.c

wdwmagic said:
You are not even close with that assessment. I think if you look through the history of my site, you will see if I have had access to information that goes far being an uncle of a brother as you put it.

You are free ot think whatever you like, but the facts are, and the are facts, the GForce is unchanged, and the ride has not been toned down in any way.

If the ride does not carry the ability to tone itself down, then i'm sure its possible that the ride is broken and not spinning at the same rate that it used to. Everything wears down and eventually must be tuned up. Either way, I'm sure Disney would not want it to be known that the ride is not as intense at it used to be.. so i'm not suprised of the lack of info on the subject.

Also, how do you account for the many posts from people saying that the ride feels less intense as it did in the first year of operation? I don't see a lot of posts saying that Test Track's take off is less intense, or that the Tower Of Terror's drop is less intense, etc. But I do see many posts about Mission Space feeling less intense now :confused:

Timmay

Pretty simple, really. With a ride such as this (one that has no visual cues other than what is on a video screen, and movement that "makes" you think you are doing something you are not), it is not at all odd you have different reactions to it at different times. Blood sugar, breathing patterns, odors, visual direction can all change the experience.

Same reason my wife gets real sick and dizzy sometimes on a plane and other times has not a care in the world.

Believe me, if it is reported by some of the folks here "in the know" there has been no change, I am sure going to take the them at their word...what would be the purpose of them parting from the truth...what would they hope to gain by that?

ssidiouss@mac.c

I would like to see the breakdown of the people who got sick (puke) on this ride in 2003/2004/2005. Dinsey probably does not keep that stat.. but I would think that stat would be interesting when trying to figure out if the ride is less intense now than in the past.

SpongeScott

ssidiouss@mac.c said:
I would like to see the breakdown of the people who got sick (puke) on this ride in 2003/2004/2005. Dinsey probably does not keep that stat.. but I would think that stat would be interesting when trying to figure out if the ride is less intense now than in the past.
Why don't you just drop the whole thing? You've been told by numerous people here who all have different sources that the ride has not been toned down. You keep insisting that it has because you "feel" it. Do you have any sources that have confirmed to you that the ride has been toned down? I don't know how Steve does it, but every piece of info he has given us on this board has been accurate, so why should this be any different? The ride is the same as it has been. Give up already. :brick:

ssidiouss@mac.c

SpongeScott said:
Why don't you just drop the whole thing? You've been told by numerous people here who all have different sources that the ride has not been toned down. You keep insisting that it has because you "feel" it. Do you have any sources that have confirmed to you that the ride has been toned down? I don't know how Steve does it, but every piece of info he has given us on this board has been accurate, so why should this be any different? The ride is the same as it has been. Give up already. :brick:

Oh no.. why don't you go give up already. Where is your proof that it the same as its been? Its obvious that this argument is he-said she said. So you can either join in or just give it up yourself.

ssidiouss@mac.c

FROM THE Orlando Sentinel 1/6/05:

When Mission: Space at EPCOT was opened, a number of people riding it became ill, and suggesting that it was too intense on the human body. Reportedly, the Disney imagineers experienced similar problems during tests and had toned down the attraction prior to its grand opening. It was also rumored that the attraction was slowed down after a number of guests had complained that the attraction was still too intense. During the first six months of the ride’s operation, 5 people were admitted to the hospital for treatment, but during the second six months, only 1 person was admitted because of Mission: Space. However, Disney is trying to set the record straight, and denies slowing the attraction down. They claim that the dramatic decrease in injury on the attraction was because of numerous warning signs and announcements, not due to a reduction in the ride’s intensity. I have not had the pleasure of riding this attraction, but have a hard time believing a bunch of warning signs and announcements would cause such a dramatic decrease in injury. If they did, then I think every company in the world should hire Disney to make signs for them to reduce injuries.

>>> Now... this article is interesting because I could have SWORN that someone in this thread said that an uncle of a brother of an imagineer said that the ride can NOT be toned down. Well, if it can NOT be toned down, then how did the imagineers TONE IT DOWN right before the grand opening?

Also.. The article says that less people get sick on the ride now than when it first opened. Thats a FACT. So, you have to ask yourselves.. are less people getting sick because they put more signs up? Or are less people getting sick because the ride is toned down. Its up to you what you believe. But I know that I get sick on spinny rides like tea cups.. and if tea cups put up 1,000 signs Id still get sick if I went on it.

SpongeScott

ssidiouss@mac.c said:
FROM THE Orlando Sentinel 1/6/05:

When Mission: Space at EPCOT was opened, a number of people riding it became ill, and suggesting that it was too intense on the human body. Reportedly, the Disney imagineers experienced similar problems during tests and had toned down the attraction prior to its grand opening. It was also rumored that the attraction was slowed down after a number of guests had complained that the attraction was still too intense. During the first six months of the ride’s operation, 5 people were admitted to the hospital for treatment, but during the second six months, only 1 person was admitted because of Mission: Space. However, Disney is trying to set the record straight, and denies slowing the attraction down. They claim that the dramatic decrease in injury on the attraction was because of numerous warning signs and announcements, not due to a reduction in the ride’s intensity. I have not had the pleasure of riding this attraction, but have a hard time believing a bunch of warning signs and announcements would cause such a dramatic decrease in injury. If they did, then I think every company in the world should hire Disney to make signs for them to reduce injuries.

>>> Now... this article is interesting because I could have SWORN that someone in this thread said that an uncle of a brother of an imagineer said that the ride can NOT be toned down. Well, if it can NOT be toned down, then how did the imagineers TONE IT DOWN right before the grand opening?

Also.. The article says that less people get sick on the ride now than when it first opened. Thats a FACT. So, you have to ask yourselves.. are less people getting sick because they put more signs up? Or are less people getting sick because the ride is toned down. Its up to you what you believe. But I know that I get sick on spinny rides like tea cups.. and if tea cups put up 1,000 signs Id still get sick if I went on it.
I'm done arguing with you about it. Keep up the attitude--that way you won't be around here much longer.

ssidiouss@mac.c

SpongeScott said:
I'm done arguing with you about it. Keep up the attitude--that way you won't be around here much longer.

LOL.. now your reduced to threats? I just stated my opinion and then got replies such as yours like "JUST DROP IT ALREADY!" But I'm the one with the attitude? Am I the one throwing threats around? I simply provided info from the Orlando Sentinal that I thought would be interesting to our debate. No reason to get all huffy and puffy! The Orlando Sentinal article provides another plothole in this great mystery. Think about it.. some people say the ride can't be toned down, but the artice says it was toned down right before the opening. This is all very interesting. But if your not interested the topic, why continue to troll it?

Geeze.. alot of peole are wound up pretty tight recently.

I think some people are too worried about being RIGHT.. who cares who's right.. if I'm proved wrong.. so what. Its fun to talk about Disney stuff.. and no matter who is right.. when you find out the truth.. then you know something more about Disney World.. so whats the difference. This isn't religion.. there is no reason to preach and threaten people to believe what you believe.

Anyway, I think the Orlando Sentinal article is intersting and provides more fuel to the debate here.. a very interesting debate at that. Maybe you would like to talk about the what was presented in the sentinal article instead of throwing around threats like "YOU WONT BE AROUND HERE MUCH LONGER!"

MrNonacho

Premium Member
There are a few places at M:S where a CM can see the exact RPM of the attraction. Explain to me how this readout still goes as high as it ever did.

I've spoken with folks who have worked at Space since Test & Adjust as well as with several members of the maintenance staff, and they all agree with Steve and Corrus.

ssidiouss@mac.c

MrNonacho said:
There are a few places at M:S where a CM can see the exact RPM of the attraction. Explain to me how this readout still goes as high as it ever did.

I've spoken with folks who have worked at Space since Test & Adjust as well as with several members of the maintenance staff, and they all agree with Steve and Corrus.

Well this is the kind of info we would need. Readouts of the RPM's of the attraction.

If this is true.. then you do believe that less people are getting sick on the ride just because of the additional warning signs? And what about the rumors of it being toned down from both the Orlando Sentinal and CM's that work there? You have to admit that where there is smoke sometimes there is fire. :drevil:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom