"Rapid Fill" Mugs Coming to Walt Disney World Hotels

AndyS2992

Does anyone know how the length of stay is going to be validated? I mean if you the mugs are good for all resorts and you are doing a split stay with a combine vacation of 10 days do you only have to pay for one mug?
Yes, go the counter and say you want it for ten days and that's it. As long as you change resorts the next day with no gap you'll still be able to use your mug.

orky8

My issues with this is not the RFID mugs, the cost, or the concept of making sure only people who are entitled to the soda can get it. Those things are all well and good. My real problem is the mentality of how Disney views its guests now versus in the 90s. In the 90s Disney wanted to do everything to make sure you had a magical experience and wanted to come back. That is why the CMs said it was good forever, they wanted you to come back. Now, the guest is a replaceable commodity and Disney wants to extract the most money it can at each visit regardless of the experience, and they just assume you will come back because this WDW and it is magical. The new cups should have the same policy as the old cups, bring it back anytime, we want you back here! And if you bring an old cup sans RFID, you should get a new one free of charge. They should do this because that type of attention to customer detail used to be what made Disney, Disney. And it costs pennies. When we went on our first Disney cruise, after many many RCCL cruises, we came home and one of the first things we told everyone was about the wonderful drink stations -- free drink stations. Seriously. It made us feel like DCL wanted us to have a great experience. They spent 30 cents on cups and soda, and we told a dozen people about how great they are versus RCCL.

WDW is in for a rude awakening over the next few years as Uni ups its game while Disney continues to diminish the customer experience. As has been repeated over and over, TDO has been dedicating itself to picking up pennies while Dollars fly over their heads.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
My issues with this is not the RFID mugs, the cost, or the concept of making sure only people who are entitled to the soda can get it. Those things are all well and good. My real problem is the mentality of how Disney views its guests now versus in the 90s. In the 90s Disney wanted to do everything to make sure you had a magical experience and wanted to come back. That is why the CMs said it was good forever, they wanted you to come back. Now, the guest is a replaceable commodity and Disney wants to extract the most money it can at each visit regardless of the experience, and they just assume you will come back because this WDW and it is magical. The new cups should have the same policy as the old cups, bring it back anytime, we want you back here! And if you bring an old cup sans RFID, you should get a new one free of charge. They should do this because that type of attention to customer detail used to be what made Disney, Disney. And it costs pennies. When we went on our first Disney cruise, after many many RCCL cruises, we came home and one of the first things we told everyone was about the wonderful drink stations -- free drink stations. Seriously. It made us feel like DCL wanted us to have a great experience. They spent 30 cents on cups and soda, and we told a dozen people about how great they are versus RCCL.

WDW is in for a rude awakening over the next few years as Uni ups its game while Disney continues to diminish the customer experience. As has been repeated over and over, TDO has been dedicating itself to picking up pennies while Dollars fly over their heads.
We went to Disney World a number of times in the 90s, bought refillable mugs, and we're never told that they were good for life. Not sure where this urban legend started.....

AndyS2992

We went to Disney World a number of times in the 90s, bought refillable mugs, and we're never told that they were good for life. Not sure where this urban legend started.....
This image here it would seem.

20110401polymugphoto1.jpg

The Mom

Premium Member

But some of us were told, at point of sale (and as an incentive to buy one) that they were good indefinitely. It may only have been for a year or two, but it definitely did happen. As I mentioned, I didn't think that it was worth the expense or bother, so I didn't purchase one.

ddrongowski

Usually I refrain and play nice, but I'm tired and feeling a bit facetious.

I only drink water blessed by Saint Walt Disney, never with a meal, or between meals, but I drink exactly 8 cups when I do, so this whole refillable mug conundrum is making me feel a bit nomadicized. After all, my sainthood is on the line here. Sipping from the holy fonts of the big WDW resorts in the sky without express written permission by two-thirds of the Disney board will jeopardize my induction to the Leave a Legacy holy tablets. I guess I need to atone at the ticket and information booths on my next visit to the oh-so Magical Kingdom on my next pilgrimage.
That's all good and fine. But..... What... is your favorite color?

ddrongowski

This whole thing just goes to show how incredibly stupid TDO and their PR department is.

What they COULD have done was introduce this policy while upgrading all these fountains to Freestyle machines. That way they could more easily justify why the program is coming into play. They could focus the information about the cool new product guests are able to use, and would have (probably) even been able to raise the price even further than they already did, with less moaning being heard than currently.

At least that way, it would be an ADDITIONAL, BETTER product (or at least could be billed as such). Instead, the message is simply "here's the same product we've always had, and we're going to watch over your shoulder while you use it, and we're going to charge you more at the same time. MAGIC!!!!!!!!!! FAIRY DUST!!!!!!!!!!".

They're either completely clueless as to how to effectively introduce something like this and make people feel good about it, or they just flat out really don't care what people think.

The sad part is, I'm pretty sure it's the latter.
Yeah but how else are they going to distract us from the failing of FP+?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
But some of us were told, at point of sale (and as an incentive to buy one) that they were good indefinitely. It may only have been for a year or two, but it definitely did happen. As I mentioned, I didn't think that it was worth the expense or bother, so I didn't purchase one.
There was a stretch of about three years when we didn't go so that very well was the time period.

Computer Magic

Nice post. Disney in the 90's drove us of repeat stays. Disney ways today has drove us away.

Victor Kelly

I don't see a rude awakening for Disney, the cruise industry basically does this and they are doing fine. The people Disney may lose is the overzealous fanboys which very frankly, number in the thousands not hundreds of thousands or millions that visit the parks during the course of a year.

Me and my family will not even worry about something so miniscule in the long stretch of what is life. They are charging you for a service, you decide whether or not you want that service. If you don't want the service, then deal with it, don't buy it. Bring your own, make it yourself with a soda stream at home, buy it outside the parks. Do anything but whining about it will not change it. Disney cares not for the fanboys, but for the millions that love what they are presented.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom