"Rapid Fill" Mugs Coming to Walt Disney World Hotels

AndyS2992

What's the incentive to prevent mug-sharing? If Phineas and Ferb both enjoy Coke, why would they purchase two mugs instead of one?

My mum and little sister used to mug share as she was too little to drink a whole mug to herself and therefor buying her a mug would be somewhat pointless as she didn't like soda much anyway. I don't see anything wrong with little kids sharing but two 8 years+ sharing is just cheapskating.

ChevisMickey

Usually I refrain and play nice, but I'm tired and feeling a bit facetious.

I only drink water blessed by Saint Walt Disney, never with a meal, or between meals, but I drink exactly 8 cups when I do, so this whole refillable mug conundrum is making me feel a bit nomadicized. After all, my sainthood is on the line here. Sipping from the holy fonts of the big WDW resorts in the sky without express written permission by two-thirds of the Disney board will jeopardize my induction to the Leave a Legacy holy tablets. I guess I need to atone at the ticket and information booths on my next visit to the oh-so Magical Kingdom on my next pilgrimage.

Buried20KLeague

What's the incentive to prevent mug-sharing? If Phineas and Ferb both enjoy Coke, why would they purchase two mugs instead of one?

On Royal Caribbean, they offer an all-inclusive alcohol package now. In order to stop people from doing what you describe, if you buy the package, everyone else in your cabin over 21 has to as well. I could see them going with something like this if they determine people are still "working the system".

vinnya1726

I am wondering how this will effect people that choose to split their stay over 2 Disney hotels, I know it says you can use it at any resort but if the two hotels are on different booking references then it will show as a gap in stay not consecutive. I hope they have a (reliable) system to link the bookings with the RFID

The dinning plan is linked to the resort. We are going in August and staying at three different resorts over 8 days, and for each resort stay it is a different reservation and a different dinning plan. We are going to come home with more mugs than I could possibly want.

nc_disneyfreak

17.99 for unlimited drinks during course of stay is a good deal I think. I don't like the 3 or four dollar price jump, but I cant complain. My family fills up once at breakfast, once more before we get on the bus to the resort, and usually one on the way back to the room....(coffee, soda etc...) Three fill ups a day would be 12-15 bucks a day anyway and add to the fact were at Disney, we expect to pay more anyway. That 12-15 bucks per day, per person, over a 7-8 day stay would be enormous....Ill start complaining if it goes over 20 lol.....just because lol

Buried20KLeague

This whole thing just goes to show how incredibly stupid TDO and their PR department is.

What they COULD have done was introduce this policy while upgrading all these fountains to Freestyle machines. That way they could more easily justify why the program is coming into play. They could focus the information about the cool new product guests are able to use, and would have (probably) even been able to raise the price even further than they already did, with less moaning being heard than currently.

At least that way, it would be an ADDITIONAL, BETTER product (or at least could be billed as such). Instead, the message is simply "here's the same product we've always had, and we're going to watch over your shoulder while you use it, and we're going to charge you more at the same time. MAGIC!!!!!!!!!! FAIRY DUST!!!!!!!!!!".

They're either completely clueless as to how to effectively introduce something like this and make people feel good about it, or they just flat out really don't care what people think.

The sad part is, I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

flynnibus

Premium Member
On Royal Caribbean, they offer an all-inclusive alcohol package now. In order to stop people from doing what you describe, if you buy the package, everyone else in your cabin over 21 has to as well. I could see them going with something like this if they determine people are still "working the system".

And the irony is while Soda is not free generally in the cruise industry... on Disney's Cruise line it is free! (except in some exceptions).

flynnibus

Premium Member
At least that way, it would be an ADDITIONAL, BETTER product (or at least could be billed as such). Instead, the message is simply "here's the same product we've always had, and we're going to watch over your shoulder while you use it, and we're going to charge you more at the same time. MAGIC!!!!!!!!!! FAIRY DUST!!!!!!!!!!".

But you overlook... that if you were using the mugs as intended all along... you'd be unlikely to see things changing much. The ones beat by this the worst.. are those who were gaming the system in the first place.

It is exactly like enforcing fastpass returns... the only people who will see a huge difference are those who weren't complying to start with.

ChevisMickey

Sorry about that last posting. That's what happens when you read through 20+ pages of rants and sermons.

Personally I will continue to do what I have done in the past, if I continue to stay on-property. I live in Florida, but in the panhandle, so I can visit multiple times per year, however I am a regular resort guest, so far. Over the years we've learned the best way for us to do things to make it affordable to stay at the Disney resorts. We eat off property enough that buying the mugs is not always worth it for us, however we do own 15 mugs from our visits over the years. At most we have purchased two mugs for one trip for our family of four. We may still do so, however the program is definitely going to benefit, and usually has, those guests who eat several meals at the resort and the dining plan folks. For me, these will now be a novelty item, which is fine. It will really impact, as many of the newer policies do, guests on a really tight budget. Most regulars have already adapted to many of these policies, so I doubt much will change with me, unless it is taken with the overall changes such as EMH reduction and the new FPP unknowns.

Buried20KLeague

And the irony is while Soda is not free generally in the cruise industry... on Disney's Cruise line it is free! (except in some exceptions).

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Montoya-from-Princess-Bride.gif

Buried20KLeague

But you overlook... that if you were using the mugs as intended all along... you'd be unlikely to see things changing much. The ones beat by this the worst.. are those who were gaming the system in the first place.

It is exactly like enforcing fastpass returns... the only people who will see a huge difference are those who weren't complying to start with.

I'm not debating that. I'm simply saying they could have made this kind of change something most people would ENJOY, and probably even justify a larger price increase... But instead they press release it and make it sound like something good for the consumer, when it's completely not. As you say, it's a lateral move for most.

jaklgreen

I personally would not have a problem with Disney allowing you to bring back a mug from past visits to refill, after all if you come back year after year like a lot of us do then Disney is already getting thousand upon thousands of dollars from us. In my perfect world they would allow this but put a stop to people using other cups that were not purchased at WDW. I would even allow you to use a coffee mug that you purchased at the gift shop and fill that up every morning. We all know that most of the cost for a cup of soda is the actual cup and not the soda. So as a kind of a thank you from Disney,(if it was up to me) I would say go ahead and bring any Disney cup and fill up and thank you for coming back again and again. I think if this RFID thing does not work then they should just get rid of the whole refillable mug thing all together, after all as others have stated a paper cup can only take so many refills before it gives out.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

:cool: I'm confident that soda isn't a significant reason DCL is more expensive than the competition... its the whole package. There is a lot of hate towards DCL in the Disney community... the sad thing is it's closer to Disney than anything WDW offers and most are too scared to find out.

G00fyDad

I personally would not have a problem with Disney allowing you to bring back a mug from past visits to refill, after all if you come back year after year like a lot of us do then Disney is already getting thousand upon thousands of dollars from us. In my perfect world they would allow this but put a stop to people using other cups that were not purchased at WDW. I would even allow you to use a coffee mug that you purchased at the gift shop and fill that up every morning. We all know that most of the cost for a cup of soda is the actual cup and not the soda. So as a kind of a thank you from Disney,(if it was up to me) I would say go ahead and bring any Disney cup and fill up and thank you for coming back again and again. I think if this RFID thing does not work then they should just get rid of the whole refillable mug thing all together, after all as others have stated a paper cup can only take so many refills before it gives out.

I like this idea. I too would prefer Disney just opwnly allow ANY Disney cup to be used. But then that would be one less thing for people to bi*** about. Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom