"Rapid Fill" Mugs Coming to Walt Disney World Hotels

rob0519

Then it is the owner of the establishment's fault for offering a self-serve soda fountain.

I'm not saying "stealing soda" is right, I'm just saying it would be a lot easier putting drink fountains behind the counter instead of putting RFID chips in every single cup.

Actually, it would not be easier to put the fountains behind the counter. That would require a person or persons to man the fountains driving up labor costs, which would be past onto the consumer in the form of, you guessed it...higher prices.

Blaming the establishment, or in this case the victim of the theft, for people stealing their product is ridiculous. Wal-Mart leaves merchandise on open tables so you can have a self serve shopping experience. Just try paying for one item and try walking out with two and see what happens.

ddrongowski

"I can't use an RFID mug, I have a pacemaker!"

I just wanted to try that one out - did that seem convincing?

I am going to take my HT (handie talkie) that records RF signals. Then when someone uses their mug, I will just retransmit the code and watch soda pour out of the machines. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! RF is your friend, if you know how to manipulate it.:D

vinnya1726

Here's what you're missing: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Soft drinks are ridiculously cheap and major profit centers for any concession.

While that may be true, states across the country are raising taxes on soda and other sugary drinks and this includes Florida. If the cost to Disney increases so will the cost to us the consumers.

lostpro9het

"I can't use an RFID mug, I have a pacemaker!"

I just wanted to try that one out - did that seem convincing?
Untitled-1.jpg

WDW1974

That's the attitude that leads to "it's ok if I steal this plush, it's only $12 and they'll never miss it anyway" and "It's ok if I jump the turnstiles, everyone else is paying so they won't miss the money. Anyway they make billions." You can say "they make $X!" all you want. It doesn't excuse that fact that it's stealing.

As for the oral contracts from CMs: When did those ever constitute official policy? It's much like the food policy, you're really not allowed to bring it in but nobody enforces it. This is similar. Official policy was to not allow soda refills after the stay, but they didn't enforce it.

Seriously, tell me y'all knew my birthday was coming up and you got together and decided to give me that time honored staple of Disney fan discussion boards: the inane, never-ending, wholier than thou, moral compass aligning DISNEY REFILLABLE MUG THREAD.

Thanks for the present, but you really didn't have to. I'll try and go easy on you since I see you're a college kid. No, my 'tude doesn't rationalize stealing. I abhor it as a general principle and having had items stolen from me, I wouldn't wish that on others. But please take your righteous indignation and, as the kids used to say in ancient times, please stick it where the sun don't shine. This issue is about as important as folks arguing about taxing the rich a bit more while the NSA spies on us all and creates a second government in the shadows and the people ignore it and wave the flag on the 4th.

You have an issue with what you, and many others ignorantly refer to as soda thievery, yet where's the anger over a policy that allows people to steal whatever they wish from WDW shops? Yes, WDW has an active policy of basically allowing shoplifting because they feel that it would be too ugly and too difficult to control it. FWIW, I don't believe it is right. I find it morally repugnant that a wholesome company believes that it's ultimately cheaper and better for PR to not chase folks out of shops in the MK.

You are right, stealing is stealing. But there are degrees. If someone steals a nickel from me I'm not going to be too upset. If they drive off in my Benz, then I might be a bit more perturbed.

But your point is fundamentally flawed because people who bought mugs pretty much anytime in the 1990s right on into the early part of the last decade were told they were good on all future visits by MANAGEMENT at the locations. Not one person, not one location. Over and over again for over a decade. That was policy. You can accept it or not, but that is reality. There was absolutely NO written or verbal policy to the contrary that came from TDO. None. Idiots who enjoy arguing this point (please, don,t pray for my soul in church this week, thanks!) have tried to come up with a policy that never existed to justify their self-righteous condemnation of us 'soda thieves.' i was told when the first written policy came out that it was the result of a mid-level food and beverage manager reading online Disney forums and realizing how many folks did bring back their 'lifetime loyalty cups' ...that's when it became an issue for TDO. They suddenly realized 'we should be charging these loyal guests everytime they come' ... That's when they came out with an actual written policy, but they also told management throughout the resort to grandfather anyone with old mugs in, and the reality was and is that no $7.55 an hour CM is going to fight with a guest who is blatantly using ANY liquid-holding container to take Coke. Someone who costs the company perhaps a nickel isn't worth a CM's job or a fistfight at the Port Orleans food court.

And, again, you are wrong in your policy regarding food. You absolutely can bring in outside food to any WDW park. I don't like it at all. Snacks are one thing, but when folks are making sandwiches on MSUSA it screams out Wal-Mart to me. But Disney had a huge issue with its food prices being too high and instead if lowering them some and encouraging people to spend, they just kept raising them and said 'let them bring in what they want.'

Now, you wanna go back and forth? You.ll make my B-Day more MAGICal, but you won't win the Internet for the day.

WDW1974

Ok, fair point. Not the best analogy. I do think the gate-hopping one stands though.

No, it doesn't.

Bad analogy. So bad.

But my family and many close friends never pay for admission anyway ... It's for the commoners!!:D

Yep, fun times ...

The Mom

Premium Member
Not directly..no you didn't.

However it stands the same..you are saying that the cost of your ROOM should somehow coincide with your food service fees? From MY personal experiences..the more expensive the hotel, the less likely they are to provide any sort of refill service..at all. Maybe my use of the word "free" was mis-read...what I was implying was that I read what you said as basically entitlement to a policy simply due to choosing to stay at the resort..which to me looked as in "something for nothing".

Or free breakfast, unless you pay extra for Club/Concierge level. Which means it really isn't free. ;) I noticed that the cheaper hotels/motels had more free services (but lesser toiletries) than the high end ones. At many luxury hotels, you still have to pay for wi-fi. And of course, through the nose for breakfast.

ddbowdoin

Seriously, tell me y'all knew my birthday was coming up and you got together and decided to give me that time honored staple of Disney fan discussion boards: the inane, never-ending, wholier than thou, moral compass aligning DISNEY REFILLABLE MUG THREAD.

Thanks for the present, but you really didn't have to. I'll try and go easy on you since I see you're a college kid. No, my 'tude doesn't rationalize stealing. I abhor it as a general principle and having had items stolen from me, I wouldn't wish that on others. But please take your righteous indignation and, as the kids used to say in ancient times, please stick it where the sun don't shine. This issue is about as important as folks arguing about taxing the rich a bit more while the NSA spies on us all and creates a second government in the shadows and the people ignore it and wave the flag on the 4th.

You have an issue with what you, and many others ignorantly refer to as soda thievery, yet where's the anger over a policy that allows people to steal whatever they wish from WDW shops? Yes, WDW has an active policy of basically allowing shoplifting because they feel that it would be too ugly and too difficult to control it. FWIW, I don't believe it is right. I find it morally repugnant that a wholesome company believes that it's ultimately cheaper and better for PR to not chase folks out of shops in the MK.

You are right, stealing is stealing. But there are degrees. If someone steals a nickel from me I'm not going to be too upset. If they drive off in my Benz, then I might be a bit more perturbed.

But your point is fundamentally flawed because people who bought mugs pretty much anytime in the 1990s right on into the early part of the last decade were told they were good on all future visits by MANAGEMENT at the locations. Not one person, not one location. Over and over again for over a decade. That was policy. You can accept it or not, but that is reality. There was absolutely NO written or verbal policy to the contrary that came from TDO. None. Idiots who enjoy arguing this point (please, don,t pray for my soul in church this week, thanks!) have tried to come up with a policy that never existed to justify their self-righteous condemnation of us 'soda thieves.' i was told when the first written policy came out that it was the result of a mid-level food and beverage manager reading online Disney forums and realizing how many folks did bring back their 'lifetime loyalty cups' ...that's when it became an issue for TDO. They suddenly realized 'we should be charging these loyal guests everytime they come' ... That's when they came out with an actual written policy, but they also told management throughout the resort to grandfather anyone with old mugs in, and the reality was and is that no $7.55 an hour CM is going to fight with a guest who is blatantly using ANY liquid-holding container to take Coke. Someone who costs the company perhaps a nickel isn't worth a CM's job or a fistfight at the Port Orleans food court.

And, again, you are wrong in your policy regarding food. You absolutely can bring in outside food to any WDW park. I don't like it at all. Snacks are one thing, but when folks are making sandwiches on MSUSA it screams out Wal-Mart to me. But Disney had a huge issue with its food prices being too high and instead if lowering them some and encouraging people to spend, they just kept raising them and said 'let them bring in what they want.'

Now, you wanna go back and forth? You.ll make my B-Day more MAGICal, but you won't win the Internet for the day.

I live my life on principle... I HATE the "varying degrees of grey" crap.

Whether you steal a soda or you steal a car, you're stealing... plain, matter of fact. DON'T DO IT.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
They still have a cost. And I'll bet that cost is higher than the cost of Coke syrups.

Like I said, the execs at UNI must have fits of laughter everytime they hear what's new at WDW.

Exactly. Those syrups are darn near given to them to have Coke on property has a source of massive advertisement. "Hey, Mama Jane, remember that cherry coke little sally sue loved so much at WDW? That will make her feel like we are right back there." I would argue that one cup size full of drink is less than a nickel. Coke supplies the bulk of the machines as well.

We have a full round of the 'Ole Dixie Cups here as well. I will never forget hearing my father ask "We can bring it back on our future trips?" to managers and CMs countless times before purchasing them.

WDW1974

Really??? An "oral contract" by CMs is supposed to be honored!?!?!? :confused: That's like holding the bus drivers stories like gospel. C'mon....please have some persepctive.

No, a dozen years of policy by resorts and dining locations are supposed to be honored. You are supposed to listen to CMs and what managers tell you, not try and think 'what would TDO execs wants me do to?'

Oh God, mug threads are like fanboi tears, I feel myself getting stronger by the minute.

WDW1974

I live my life on principle... I HATE the "varying degrees of grey" crap.

Whether you steal a soda or you steal a car, you're stealing... plain, matter of fact. DON'T DO IT.
No, sorry. Not crap.

i wouldn't want someone going to jail for stealing food for her starving children, when I would say you jail a bank robber or even a bank CEO that helped cause the economic collapse.

But there is a misconception that people who bring back their 1996 WL or BC mugs are stealing. They are not.

lebeau

It's not what the soda costs .... It's about the lost revenue of selling the soda

That's what the spreadsheet will tell you.

There's also intangibles.

In another thread on this subject, I got to rambling about my own experiences with concession stand managment...

Back in my 20s, I was a movie theater manager. I remember the chain I used to work for used to give us a stack of free drink coupons. If anyone complained about anything at all or if anything ever went wrong, we were to hand out free drink coupons. If a movie started 30 seconds late, I would have the ushers hand out free drinks to everyone in the theater. We had autoriums that seated 650 back in those days. So if a sold-out show started a minute late, we could easily give out 500-600 free drinks. Why? Because drinks cost us pennies and the company I worked for thought the customer good will was more valuable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom