Princesses may not rule fantasy land after all! Frontierland expansion rumor reality?

BrerFrog

Well, due to the internet urban legend that Horizons was knocked down due to a sinkhole, I guess raven's comments about a sinkhole under UoE played off that... Hence, it is a joke.. but now, after raven came back saying it isn't a joke, I wonder if UoE is slated for demolition... :eek:

Yeah, when the words sinkhole and FW are mentioned together it is hard to tell if it is a joke or not, especially on the internet.

Right. No, it`s true. It has been known about since construction. It is stable and pumped. It would have no bearing on whether the Energy show building was removed or not.

The 2 others I know about in the park are in the east lake (next to Odyssey) and Showcase Lagoon. And no, there isn`t one any where near M:S. Nor has there ever been in that vicinity.

As usual, thanks for the info, Martin. :wave:

raven

Well, due to the internet urban legend that Horizons was knocked down due to a sinkhole, I guess raven's comments about a sinkhole under UoE played off that... Hence, it is a joke.. but now, after raven came back saying it isn't a joke, I wonder if UoE is slated for demolition... :eek:

Ah yes, the Horizons sink hole urban legend. It's funny how one little comment or suggestion was taken so far out of context that people believed it was "official." No official word ever came from TDO saying it was a sink hole that caused it. Was there a sink hole under Horizons? Possibly. But it didn't cause the demise of the attraction. Was the building caving in on itself due to being unstable? No. The building was fine as it was BUT would NOT support the new Space Pavilion retrofit that was planned by WDI. It was the sponsor that wanted a new building and WDC's idea to put it where Horizons was. There were several plans, concept art and blueprints for the retrofit (some of which can still be seen in the M:S breakroom trailer) but the demolition never happened due to a sink hole or structure problems.

That being said there ARE sink holes in the area and have been there since day one. Just last year Typhoon Lagoon was closed to fix a sink hole problem that swallowed up part of the wall in the wave pool area. Originally World of Motion (now Test Track) was to be placed where the Odyssey bridge is located. A sink hole, still there today, is now a small lake. You will notice that the entire Odyssey building is on pylons due to this as well.

The one under UOE has been there for quite some time as well but in it's current state, without major upset, the building is stable.

The sink holes are not jokes but reality. The actual jokes are the misleading posts that become "reality" in some people's minds. This is what sparks faulse rumors. Yesterday in this thread I explained that the M&G is not being placed in a candy store and that someone took a phrase and spun it into their own conclusion. Even after I clearly explained how the mix-up was made people are still posting about the rumor. :rolleyes:

DisneyNut2007

Maybe if it's just that building. Close a couple things around it and expand a bit, and then you might have enough room to build a new attraction.

Leave the Bears alone!

They just need to bring the Xmas and Vacation shows back into annual rotation along with the regular show to keep it fresh every year.

RSoxNo1

So we had Jim Hill on our show this week to discuss his recent article as well as what's going on in Fantasyland. He cleared up some things he said in the article as well as provided us with some new information.

If you would like to listen, you can click here.

Steve, if you don't want this link here, I apologize but it is more than relevant to the conversation.

DisneyParksFan1

So we had Jim Hill on our show this week to discuss his recent article as well as what's going on in Fantasyland. He cleared up some things he said in the article as well as provided us with some new information.

If you would like to listen, you can click here.

Steve, if you don't want this link here, I apologize but it is more than relevant to the conversation.

I saw that Garner Holt dude's website and I see he's created the animatronics for the Parade of Dreams. And Block Party Bash.

MiklCraw4d

I'm comparing because the popularity has skyrocketed, and I don't really understand why that changed so abruptly. I remember meeting plenty of characters in the park as a child (up to 1997 or so) and it wasn't such a big to-do. Clearly it would create a madhouse in the park nowadays. Sorry if that wasn't clear in my post, I had a lot of subjects on my mind.

The reasons the M&Gs are such a madhouse today is, I think, the same reason that shops and restaurants are so much more packed and unpleasant than they used to be - namely, that back in the day all those people would have been waiting in line to ride something. Now, they have Fastpasses. Not to mention that the total ride capacity of the MK has declined since those days. So more people not on rides, and less people queued up for those rides = more people wandering around and willing to wait an hour for a photo op.

MiklCraw4d

This is the classic example of someone miss-reading a post and making it into a rumor that starts waves (not you). The term "candy store" actually came from my post when I was asked why I wouldn't just come out and tell everything I know. I said:

Someone then changed that into a rumor. Sorry, no candy.

Sorry, that was my mistake - it seemed like there was some back and forth candy-related wink-wink-nudge-nudge amongst those who know what's up. Thought it meant something - I look for conspiracy everywhere!

Mrs.Toad

Wow! Thanks for posting the article. I get most of my Disney news from this website and I haven't been on for awhile before this week so I had no idea about any of this. I heard about the Fantasyland expansion and the basics and that is where I dropped off a few weeks ago.

300 million is a lot to spend on such a huge undertaking....of buildings and a forest. When really the only sure timeless value and guaranteed sustained interest will be Gaston's, the Beauty and the Beast restaurant, and Ariel, and perhaps Dumbo if that goes through because that is always a favorite of many.

I posted on a thread the past two days about the Execs and I am of the opinion that I also have noticed a decline in the interest of the Disney princesses as a solid profitting brand. I see less girls with princess products than I did say five years ago when you couldn't walk anywhere without seeing little girls with something with the Princess logo on it.

Still going strong as Halloween costumes but not as heavy as it was. More the infant through 10 years girls on average, I would say.

Meet and greets decline in time and that is a lot of money to spend, a lot of waste of space, and would stop so many other projects because of this.

I am all for the Beauty and the Beast restaurant. That is a smart move. Yes, take the heat off Cinderella dining a bit. So hard to get a reservation there especially with the 100 something seat limitation. Perfectly understandable, and would be desired because many people feel that dining at Disney is an event just like getting on a ride. Er, to me.:lookaroun

Can't wait for Ariel as well. And well that is about it for my excitement level.

I just hope that Cinderella's Castle, the icon of MK, is not being dealt an injustice. They can't allow another table service and rival princess areas/castles to steal its thunder. Near it was the Belle story area and I would think that would also go when Belle has the palace of her dreams in another part of the park.

Loved the castle since it was King Stefan's Banquet Hall.

Also, I gleaned over some posts where it was mentioned that Frontierland is not pulling its weight financially as a land, to paraphrase. First I was like, Whoah! How is that possible? as I thought of Big Thunder and Splash but then I started thinking, checked a map of MK, and realized that yes it was possible.

Two very popualr attractions are there that have heavy attendance which are ridden as many times as you want because it is included in the park ticket. That is maintanance, time, labor, testing, refurb, clean-up, etc. I'm quite sure the Treehouse doesn't cost that much to maintain but I could be wrong.

But what I don't get is duh, of course the place will make less of a profit from the other lands because Frontierland:

1. Has only 1 restaurant which is Pecos Bill. A plus is that it is very popular. Remember when a part of it was called the Mile Long Bar or something? Name escapes me at the moment. I believe that all the other lands have well over 2 or more which follows that it will have a higher profit. Yet, if we count the Turkey Leg wagon, those suckers sure move!

2. It also has less stores than the other lands. Not if you count Toon Town though. And let's look at what those stores are:

Big Al's - mostly headwear which is not going to sell as much as a store that has a variety of items.

Briar Patch - would bet this makes the highest profit of all 4 stores because it has the most variety.

Frontier Trading Post - pins, pins, and pins, and unless you are a serious collector, which there are many, it's still not bringing in as much as the Main Street shops.

Which leads to the last store - Prairie Outpost & Supply - candy store - which I must sheepishly admit I always pass because I loyally buy all my candy in the darling one on Main Street.

I went last summer and as I remembered I then slapped my head. I did look around those stores and coerced my fiance only because he wanted to feel the air conditioning for the bit. I only bought a magnet and I wanted to tour them with him because I forgot what they looked like inside because I never shop there.

Yeah, it does make sense. I only bought a magnet in all of Frontierland because Mickey was dressed as a cowboy on horseback riding into the sunset like John Wayne and he looked so adorable. And the Magnet said Frontierland on it. And let me tell you I wasn't sure I should buy it or not because I went a bit crazy shopping in the other lands and it was an impulse purchase.

Also, as for dining, I think there could be very cool concepts for a table service in Frontierland. Really revamp Diamond Horsehoe into a saloon, western, table service or something brand new in another location. If there is space available.

Quite possibly nothing was done because there is the Liberty Tree not too far away for those desiring table service, but alas, in profit, it is not part of Frontierland.

I think it would be great if the boys got something in Frontierland, like was brought up in the article and in posts. I could live with Tom Sawyer Island being rethemed.

Er, just don't change Frontierland too much. And I would really prefer that they concentrate on Adventureland and Tomorrowlamd first. In my dreams.

I already attacked those topics on the Disney execs threads. Basically, it was a post about how if I was suddenly made a Disney exec with full reign, what I would love to see.

And I agree that if done right I understand how immersion in a fairytale atmosphere would be awesome, but I don't think it will leave a legacy on DW's history as being one of the greats, from an attraction perspective.

jt04

Wow! Thanks for posting the article. I get most of my Disney news from this website and I haven't been on for awhile before this week so I had no idea about any of this. I heard about the Fantasyland expansion and the basics and that is where I dropped off a few weeks ago.

300 million is a lot to spend on such a huge undertaking....of buildings and a forest. When really the only sure timeless value and guaranteed sustained interest will be Gaston's, the Beauty and the Beast restaurant, and Ariel, and perhaps Dumbo if that goes through because that is always a favorite of many.

I posted on a thread the past two days about the Execs and I am of the opinion that I also have noticed a decline in the interest of the Disney princesses as a solid profitting brand. I see less girls with princess products than I did say five years ago when you couldn't walk anywhere without seeing little girls with something with the Princess logo on it.

Still going strong as Halloween costumes but not as heavy as it was. More the infant through 10 years girls on average, I would say.

Meet and greets decline in time and that is a lot of money to spend, a lot of waste of space, and would stop so many other projects because of this.

I am all for the Beauty and the Beast restaurant. That is a smart move. Yes, take the heat off Cinderella dining a bit. So hard to get a reservation there especially with the 100 something seat limitation. Perfectly understandable, and would be desired because many people feel that dining at Disney is an event just like getting on a ride. Er, to me.:lookaroun

Can't wait for Ariel as well. And well that is about it for my excitement level.

I just hope that Cinderella's Castle, the icon of MK, is not being dealt an injustice. They can't allow another table service and rival princess areas/castles to steal its thunder. Near it was the Belle story area and I would think that would also go when Belle has the palace of her dreams in another part of the park.

Also, I gleaned over some posts where it was mentioned that Frontierland is not pulling its weight financially as a land, to paraphrase. First I was like, Whoah! How is that possible? as I thought of Big Thunder and Splash but then I started thinking, checked a map of MK, and realized that yes it was possible.

Two very popualr attractions are there that have heavy attendance which are ridden as many times as you want because it is included in the park ticket. That is maintanance, time, labor, testing, refurb, clean-up, etc. I'm quite sure the Treehouse doesn't cost that much to maintain but I could be wrong.

But what I don't get is duh, of course the place will make less of a profit from the other lands because Frontierland:

1. Has only 1 restaurant which is Pecos Bill. A plus is that it is very popular. Remember when a part of it was called the Mile Long Bar or something? Name escapes me at the moment. I believe that all the other lands have well over 2 or more which follows that it will have a higher profit. Yet, if we count the Turkey Leg wagon, those suckers sure move!

2. It also has less stores than the other lands. Not if you count Toon Town though. And let's look at what those stores are:

Big Al's - mostly headwear which is not going to sell as much as a store that has a variety of items.

Briar Patch - would bet this makes the highest profit of all 4 stores because it has the most variety.

Frontier Trading Post - pins, pins, and pins, and unless you are a serious collector, which there are many, it's still not bringing in as much as the Main Street shops.

Which leads to the last store - Prairie Outpost & Supply - candy store - which I must sheepishly admit I always pass because I loyally buy all my candy in the darling one on Main Street.

I went last summer and as I remembered I then slapped my head. I did look around those stores and coerced my fiance only because he wanted to feel the air conditioning for the bit. I only bought a magnet and I wanted to tour them with him because I forgot what they looked like inside because I never shop there.

Yeah, it does make sense. I only bought a magnet in all of Frontierland because Mickey was dressed as a cowboy on horseback riding into the sunset like John Wayne and he looked so adorable. And the Magnet said Frontierland on it. And let me tell you I wasn't sure I should buy it or not because I went a bit crazy shopping in the other lands and it was an impulse purchase.

Also, as for dining, I think there could be very cool concepts for a table service in Frontierland. Really revamp Diamond Horsehoe into a saloon, western, table service or something brand new in another location. If there is space available.

Quite possibly nothing was done because there is the Liberty Tree not too far away for those desiring table service, but alas, in profit, it is not part of Frontierland.

I think it would be great if the boys got something in Frontierland, like was brought up in the article and in posts. I could live with Tom Sawyer Island being rethemed.

Er, just don't change Frontierland too much. And I would really prefer that they concentrate on Adventureland and Tomorrowlamd first. In my dreams.

I already attacked those topics on the Disney execs threads. Basically, it was a post about how if I was suddenly made a Disney exec with full reign, what I would love to see.

And I agree that if done right I understand how immersion in a fairytale atmosphere would be awesome, but I don't think it will leave a legacy on DW's history as being one of the greats, from an attraction perspective.

Except through the eyes of those under eight and by doing so their parents also. That is the essence of the FLE. It is for families with younger children because the MK's attractions skew too old.

PS- Theme the Diamond Horseshoe as a Ghardellis Ice Cream parlor and you have instant profits.

DisneyParksFan1

I'm just as excited as you are except I am also excited at the new theming and the feel of literally walking through a forest outside the castle walls.

COProgressFan

Except through the eyes of those under eight and by doing so their parents also. That is the essence of the FLE. It is for families with younger children because the MK's attractions skew too old.

PS- Theme the Diamond Horseshoe as a Ghardellis Ice Cream parlor and you have instant profits.

The part about MK attractions skewing too old -- are you serious?! :shrug: I think many would argue MK attractions have skewed a too young in recent years and the park certainly has greater appeal to young children more than any other WDW park.

The part about Ghiaradelli's -- well, this I agree on. I'm not sure exactly how it fits the old west, but with a small western (non character) show inside, this could be very successful. The irony, of course, being that this is what essentially Diamond Horseshoe was until 2001 or so!!! (food/ice cream, and a western show)

jt04

The part about MK attractions skewing too old -- are you serious?! :shrug: I think many would argue MK attractions have skewed a too young in recent years and the park certainly has greater appeal to young children more than any other WDW park.

The part about Ghiaradelli's -- well, this I agree on. I'm not sure exactly how it fits the old west, but with a small western (non character) show inside, this could be very successful. The irony, of course, being that this is what essentially Diamond Horseshoe was until 2001 or so!!! (food/ice cream, and a western show)

Yes, it does skew too old. John Lasster explained that very clearly in his article about the FLE. The MK has a high level of difficulty for families with younger children.

It starts with the somewhat difficult journey from the parking lot to the main gates, gets further complicated by long lines to do many of the attractions that would appeal to them, add long lines to eat, Florida heat and humidity and something needed to be done.

FLE is the beginning of addressing the problem. I believe the next step will be adding attractions to the other three parks to skew them to older guests tastes such as more thrill rides or more culinary options.

PS- Ghiaradelli's roots are the old west. Look it up.

misterID

8 year olds are not the targeted demographic for MK. And reading things about WDI considering MK a kiddie park and stating that the days of Splash Mountain rides are over is pretty telling. I think its a good thing for the MK to hear that this is being reconsidered. I don't think FLE will be anything close to what was projected. And not having the princess M&G's will do nothing to hurt MK's appeal to children, or little girls.

If the FLE is now just a BB restaurant and LM ride, that sounds more logical than to have a fullblown 100-200 million dollar M&G area. That would have been foolish and a waste. If its being reevaluated, that's a good idea, imo. And a good sign.

jt04

8 year olds are not the targeted demographic for MK. And reading things about WDI considering MK a kiddie park and stating that the days of Splash Mountain rides are over is pretty telling. I think its a good thing for the MK to hear that this is being reconsidered. I don't think FLE will be anything close to what was projected. And not having the princess M&G's will do nothing to hurt MK's appeal to children, or little girls.

If the FLE is now just a BB restaurant and LM ride, that sounds more logical than to have a fullblown 100-200 million dollar M&G area. That would have been foolish and a waste. If its being reevaluated, that's a good idea, imo. And a good sign.

But Lee's sources say the princess m&g's are happening. And that is because they are. Only phase 2 is being rethought in any way.

misterID

From what I gathered, everything outside the BB restaurant and TLM was being reconsidered... But I did think that at least one of the M&G's was to survive, just not all.

And don't front jt, you know you only want this FLE as is because you want to attend Aurora's sweet sixteen birthday party. :D

deWild

I know people may think that Jay Rasulo is the so called "bad guy" here, but you have to remember everything else the man brought to the Disney parks. He made Disneyland Paris more popular than ever before, expanded the Disney cruise line, and oversaw construction of multiple attractions worldwide.

True, the FLE is heavily reliant on princesses and geared more towards the girl fanbase, but he deserves more credit than just the girl powered FLE.

SeaCastle

Yes, it does skew too old. John Lasster explained that very clearly in his article about the FLE. The MK has a high level of difficulty for families with younger children.

It starts with the somewhat difficult journey from the parking lot to the main gates, gets further complicated by long lines to do many of the attractions that would appeal to them, add long lines to eat, Florida heat and humidity and something needed to be done.

FLE is the beginning of addressing the problem. I believe the next step will be adding attractions to the other three parks to skew them to older guests tastes such as more thrill rides or more culinary options.

PS- Ghiaradelli's roots are the old west. Look it up.

I'll respectfully disagree. I believe kids are the targeted demographic for Magic Kingdom, and for all intents and purposes, it is a "kiddie park". I know of families with teens that skip the Magic Kingdom entirely because it's a land of kiddie rides. You could make the argument that Splash Mountain is a thrill ride, but Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain are relatively tame coasters that kids adore. The Magic Kingdom has more offerings for kids than any other park at the resort. Parents with children have a plethora of attractions to enjoy...as a matter of fact they are all family oriented.

What the Magic Kingdom does lack is [quality] meet and greet options. It also has less capacity in Fantasyland since the Skyway and 20,000 Leagues closed. These are the main problems that the expansion is addressing. Magic Kingdom is already aimed at they young'uns and the Fantasyland Expansion will aim even lower.

jt04

From what I gathered, everything outside the BB restaurant and TLM was being reconsidered... But I did think that at least one of the M&G's was to survive, just not all.

And don't front jt, you know you only want this FLE as is because you want to attend Aurora's sweet sixteen birthday party. :D

If I have an agenda it is to see a place where all the rugrats can be funneled to and out of the queues of the stuff I enjoy. :lol:

But in reality I have an overwhelming amount of pity on families that are not prepared for the MK. It can be very sad to witness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom