Princesses may not rule fantasy land after all! Frontierland expansion rumor reality?

NewfieFan

So true.

I actually hate that Walt quote. It can be used to argue nearly any point. Walt wouldn't like thrill rides. Walt wouldn't like kiddie rides. The quote is so open to interpretation, it is almost meaningless.

I find when most people start complaining about something not being for "everybody" they are usually complaining because it's not for them.

I may copy this and put it in my signature... no truer words have ever been spoken!

I have seen people on this forum complain that Princesses are not for everybody and cannot be enjoyed by everyone in the same family... and then they say, "Teens need more thrill rides!!!" :rolleyes:

wizards8507

So true.

I actually hate that Walt quote. It can be used to argue nearly any point. Walt wouldn't like thrill rides. Walt wouldn't like kiddie rides. The quote is so open to interpretation, it is almost meaningless.

I find when most people start complaining about something not being for "everybody" they are usually complaining because it's not for them.

My personal opinion is the the meet and greets (and Pixie Hollow) are specifically intended for all the people who are complaining about them. Imagine, if you're the kind of person who doesn't want to deal with the floofy, sparkly, (girly) world of princesses and fairies, you're probably the same person who would be irritated by screaming children who, in line for Space Mountain, only want to go visit Ariel and Cinderella. Consider that, under the proposed FL expansion, there will be a Mecca of girliness in which every family with daughters will be required to spend at least a few hours. This "sponge effect" will purge the rest of the park of frilliness and glitter, and allow you to enjoy the rest of the park without much of the irritant that pervades the Magic Kingdom so densely.

RSoxNo1

I will say that that there does seem to be a good deal of "hedging his bets" in the Jim Hill article. Too often sources are rumors or ideas found I forums like these, and then are used by the Jim Hills, Al Lutzs or Kevin Yees of the Disney chat world.

Don't put Jim Hill/Al Lutz in the same category as Kevin Yee. They are all excellent writers but you need to recognize where they are coming from:
  • Jim Hill has insight and contacts with many different aspects of the Disney Company, from parks and resorts, to movies and more.
  • Al Lutz seems to have a focus on Disneyland - I've never spoken with Al, but it seems that he is connected with parks and resorts with a Disneyland focus
  • Kevin Yee is a former cast member that writes largely on speculation. His speculation is better than most but it lends itself to him being wrong. He gets in trouble because he often presents his speculation as fact.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of his bias either. But I've also seen articles on there whose central concepts are mirror images of those found here (and don't get me started on Kevin Yee). Makes me thankful for the unbiased work Steve and the other mods do here.

Steve is in a tough spot on here, he has decided that he is not in the business of rumor mongering because even the information right from the horses mouth is still widely speculative. What happens here is that he often gets scooped by guys like Jim and Al but the flip side is that his batting average is much higher.

If you ever listen to Jim Hill (writings or podcast), you will learn that he hates you. I'm not kidding, he openly detests other Disneyphiles. This is because his sources (the ones at WDI that use him as a tool) detest the hardcore Disney fanbase and feel that its standards are too high. I happen to disagree with this premise and therefore believe that his motives are completely at odds with my motives. He doesn't like me (and other Disneyphiles) and I don't like him.

I wouldn't say that because we are his audience. I imagine what frustrates him is how black and white everyone happens to be. I'm a big baseball fan, and this time of year there is quite a bit of rumors about trades. That dialogue is just as variable as rumors of new attractions at Disney World. It's not always black and white. So many things can de-rail a project, even after it's technically been green lit.

The problem is people on here and other fan boards don't recognize that. To call someone like Al and Jim incorrect about a rumor based on the sole fact that the attraction doesn't get built is very short sighted. What's incorrect is when someone like Kevin Yee speculates that Crush's Coaster is coming to Pixar Place when all signs indicate that it was never seriously considered.

I don't think you understand.

If you complain about everything thing, then nothing gets heard.

That includes every compliment being followed by, "You can do better though".

I don't think they hate you. I think they don't care about you.

Also, prove to me those panels were there in the early 80s.

The problem is, we don't all speak as one. There are many people on here that are adamantly against the closing of the Adventurer's Club, the removal of the Lights of Winter and the completion of the Spaceship Earth Descent.

Those are all things that have spawned well over 100 pages of "discussion" on this board and others but matter very little to me.

Then there's the Yeti at Expedition Everest where I am bothered by the neglect. The thing is, Disney isn't going to react to every fanboy complaint. WDWMagic.com isn't regarded as mainstream media. While it is an excellent source of information, and it has a relatively wide audience Disney's perception (and probably reality) is that these complaints are not widespred. They may effect the thousands on this site, but not the millions that visit the park on an annual basis. On top of that, we're probably still visiting the parks more than any of those people that would be lumped into the masses anyways.

Is there anything that anybody owns that could rival Potter strictly as a franchise? I've thrown this out in other threads, but the only "giant" left out there is Lord of the Rings.

Which, by the way, would be fan-darn-tastic.

Cars, Princesses and Tron are the leading candidates in my opinion

Blatant exposure of the backstage area can be seen from the Lights, Motors, Action! show at DHS. If you're sitting on either side, you can look all around and see support buildings, vehicles, and characters who don't "belong together" riding in the same golf cart.

Big deal.

It's meant to be a studio so they can get away with this. What bothers me more is seeing the Yeti room in the back of Everest as you enter the parking lot.

jakeman

The problem is, we don't all speak as one.
I don't think we have to speak as one, but I do think it would benefit us all to be mindful of what and how we are posting.

The "us versus them" mentality may give folks a warm populist fuzzies, but is it getting the job done and really making the improvements we want to see?

I don't think we need to tow the company line, but, as I said earlier, I don't think every compliment has to be followed by a "but you could do better..."

It comes to a point that the company sees your (plural, not you singular) particular funds (which they want more than anything) as not worth the effort. Then you lose your leverage as a consumer and the company moves on and any valuble imput you have is now lost because you (for lack of a better example) complained non-stop out ceiling tiles.

Just my thoughts and ramblings directed at no one in particular.

MiklCraw4d

If you ever listen to Jim Hill (writings or podcast), you will learn that he hates you. I'm not kidding, he openly detests other Disneyphiles. This is because his sources (the ones at WDI that use him as a tool) detest the hardcore Disney fanbase and feel that its standards are too high.

This.

MiklCraw4d

I gotta agree here. Seriously, the original point of "too high fan standards" could be argued with other examples (maybe). But you spend all that money upgrading and improving an attraction, and it is too much BOTHER to make sure a couple of ceiling panels are in place? That says volumes to me. Get with the program. Details make the difference.

Also, this.

Krack

Sure, because they were looking for fault.

Frankly, I'm far more concerned that SGE sucks, New Management Tiki Room sucks, Eric Idle JIYI sucks, the Magic Carpets don't fit thematically with Adventureland, they replaced 20k Leagues with a playground (no more imaginative than the one in my housing development), the Yeti never works, and that peeling paint is left to sit for weeks before it's addressed.

MiklCraw4d

Also, I have to stick up for Al Lutz... while I often don't like his tone, his bias, or the conclusions he draws about WDW, I have to admit that his information is usually very, very good. In fact, it's gotten better over the years. I don't like his little snark jihad against WDW any more than yall, but I think one has to give it up for the quality of his sources and the accuracy of his information. He's also very good at pointing out when things could change, in a less shifty way than other writers.

jakeman

Frankly, I'm far more concerned that SGE sucks, New Management Tiki Room sucks, Eric Idle JIYI sucks, the Magic Carpets don't fit thematically with Adventureland, they replaced 20k Leagues with a playground (no more imaginative than the one in my housing development), the Yeti never works, and that peeling paint is left to sit for weeks before it's addressed.
Are you still going to WDW?

Krack

Are you still going to WDW?

Occasionally, but not nearly as much as I used to. I used to go once or twice a year for a week at a time. Now I go once every two or three years and stay 4 days - I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to. When I lived in Los Angeles, I went to Disneyland often.

jakeman

Occasionally, but not nearly as much as I used to. I used to go once or twice a year for a week at a time. Now I go once every two or three years and stay 4 days.
Why are you supporting a company that you have so many issues with?

I would think the most effective thing to do would be to cancel your reservation and write a letter to guest services explaining your dissatisfaction with the product.

Krack

Why are you supporting a company that you have so many issues with?

Because there are a lot of things about the parks I still enjoy. Sadly, almost none of it is new (post 1994).

I would think the most effective thing to do would be to cancel your reservation and write a letter to guest services explaining your dissatisfaction with the product.

Like anyone would care. I'm not a soccer mom with a 4 year old girl; my opinion is irrelevant to Disney executives.

jakeman

Because there are a lot of things about the parks I still enjoy. Sadly, almost none of it is new (post 1994).

Like anyone would care. I'm not a soccer mom with a 4 year old girl; my opinion is irrelevant to Disney executives.
You are refusing to exercise your right as a consumer.

Why would Disney listen to you? It's not because you aren't a specific demographic, it's because regardless of the quality of the product you will still continue to partake in the consumption of said product.

That is your issue, not Disney's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom