Press event Tuesday, Jan. 18th.

wizards8507

Oh, I agree that LotR is so much better and more well done than HP. Heck, if you read both you can see how many "ideas" Rowling got from LotR. But when it comes to the masses and masses of people you need to generate income for a Theme Park, Harry Potter has the appeal to everyone. Btw, just because something is old and something else is newer doesnt mean one is more "classic" than the other. I hate the general thinking when ppl think that there can never be something better than "so and so" b/c its considered the best ever, with that logic than we should have William Shakespeare land as the 5th gate.

Haha a fair point. I'm not faulting Harry Potter for being new, I fault it for being crap literature. I know Harry Potter hasn't HAD to withstand the test of time, but I'm fairly confident that it will fail the longevity test in the future.

T-1MILLION

Reposting an edit I made to my previous post, as I've been quoted a couple times without the edit:

With "The Hobbit" film project getting underway, the timing would be perfect. Plus, the Lord of the Rings is far more classic than Harry Potter ever is or ever will be, and could sustain itself far longer than Harry Potter. HP will die off after the movies are finished and the books' original fans grow up. HP isn't the kind of literature you pass down for future generations. It's derivative pulp fiction at best, and will fade as quickly as it came.

Since its been around for over 15 years and people are already passing it down to their kids... I think it is gonna be more than memorable. Nothing lasts in wide popularity forever, but Star Wars and Harry Potter are probably the two tops on that list.

At any rate, for those who think an announcement will have anything to do with LOTR...I would not set expectations that high.

I would just bet that the majority chunk of this are things we already know with new details and aspects we don't know about as well as confirming some of the changes to the park's classic attractions.

For the most part this is just likely another huge PR gain for the attention on the fantasyland work.

Rich1

..and Star Wars would be pretty fantastic but I think the only thing that could really make this work over the top and generate the buzz for this would be if Lucas were to go ahead and make parts 7, 8 and 9 of the Star Wars franchise. Very, VERY unlikely to ever happen but Star Wars was always meant to be a 9 part series. If these movies were to get made and Disney were to build an area dedicated to all the films (minus Jar Jar) then that'd be something that MAYBE could do it. Mind you, I'm just dreaming here.

Rich1

I don't think there is one person on here that thinks the announcement will have anything to do with LotR, we are just discussing how there is/isn't really the "answer" to HP other than new ideas.

wizards8507

Since its been around for over 15 years and people are already passing it down to their kids... I think it is gonna be more than memorable. Nothing lasts in wide popularity forever, but Star Wars and Harry Potter are probably the two tops on that list.

At any rate, for those who think an announcement will have anything to do with LOTR...I would not set expectations that high.

The complete series has been around three years, and the film series still isn't complete. The longevity thus far has been deliberate stretching of the release dates by Rowling and Warner Bros., not due to people inspired to pass down the text for its value. The Return of the King was published in 1955, forty-eight years before it's film was released. You really think that a film version of Deathly Hallows would be successful in 2059? No chance.

Regardless, I'm WELL aware that there is ZERO chance of Disney announcing LOtR tomorrow or any time in the future, I just believe that if they DID, it would outstrip Potter by a mile.

After every other crazy theory being thrown around on the previous 21 pages of this thread, I figure it doesn't hurt to delve into the most impossible, fit-inducing possibilities out there (i.e. a life-size recreation of the Starship Enterprise in Tomorrowland, a fifth gate featuring Minas Tirith on one side and Barad-dur on the other, etc.). But alas, we dream.

WDWmazprty

I don't think there is one person on here that thinks the announcement will have anything to do with LotR, we are just discussing how there is/isn't really the "answer" to HP other than new ideas.

This. ;) Its true, although LOTR IS better than Potter, the teeny boppers like and are familiar with HP more, and thats why it would most likely do better than LOTR.

T-1MILLION

This. ;) Its true, although LOTR IS better than Potter, the teeny boppers like and are familiar with HP more, and thats why it would most likely do better than LOTR.

It is more or less the answer of

1. It is typically more family appreciated/enjoyed/approved.

2. Merchandise.

Disney has such a catelog to their brand that they are gonna use those whenever they can and take all the copyright profits with it. They don't want their stuff playing second banana if they can help it.

wizards8507

Back on topic:

For people speculating that tomorrow's event will be about the Dream and the new Castle show, I really think it'll be a bit more substantial than that. The Dream has it's OWN event on Wednesday (the 19th, 10:00 AM), and I really doubt Iger and the other top execs would show up just to preview a castle show.

WDWmazprty

It is more or less the answer of

1. It is typically more family appreciated/enjoyed/approved.

2. Merchandise.

Disney has such a catelog to their brand that they are gonna use those whenever they can and take all the copyright profits with it. They don't want their stuff playing second banana if they can help it.

Exactly, HP appeals more to the younger set, while LOTR will in most cases appeal to older generations. It comes down to what will appeal to the masses more and therefore make the most money.

flavious27

Lord of the Rings...Absolutely a fantastic franchise in its heyday. Grossed a load of money and won awards. However, I think this franchise its past its prime with the general public. To generate the same excitment for this that HP did, then we'd have to go back in time about 10 years and build it then. Not to mention, Universal is already trying to corner the market with this Franchise. I just don't believe this would be something that would bring people in from all over the world like HP did.

Star Trek..No, not so much. Although a very large and dedicated fanbase, it just doesnt have the same appeal to all ages that the Harry Potter franchise does. Even with the new movie, the image of this product has changed so much over the years that it'd be difficult to build something that could be true to an actual Star Trek fan. Also, I dont believe that your typical Trekkie would like to see Disney's version of this franchise.

007---Not at all. At this point, the Bond series is simply a parody of itself. With all the men that have played Bond over the years, you're just not going to get that same connection to that character that people have to Radcliffe's version of Potter and the WB movies.

Nope, what Disney needs to do is what they've done over the past 80+ years and come up with new things that people feel a connection to. I'm not saying they need to constantly build multi-million dollar attractions at all, but things do need to continue to evolve.

The 2 part Hobbit movie is going to start filming next month, with a release date probably next year. The first 3 earned almost 6 billion worldwide because the books are classics and hey had a deep fan base that they tapped.

Disney and Paramount would develop an area that would be similar to ST: the Experience, only better and with a larger audience that can experience it. The last movie did what it was suppose to do, bring in a new audience. The next movie will be out in june of 2012, and more to follow.

It doesn't matter how many bonds there have been, as long as you have rides and attractions that fit with the theme and brand.

These are brands that have the same if not more depth of story compared to hp. Disney will have alot to work with and can pull off something great that would rival.

As for Disney having an in-house brand to compete, they don't. The closest they got was Chronicles of Narnia.

stitch2008

Back on topic:

For people speculating that tomorrow's event will be about the Dream and the new Castle show, I really think it'll be a bit more substantial than that. The Dream has it's OWN event on Wednesday (the 19th, 10:00 AM), and I really doubt Iger and the other top execs would show up just to preview a castle show.

Hmmm. That's interesting. I didn't know Dream had its own event. I'm not expecting a ton tomorrow. But you do make a good point about Iger being there.

CrescentLake

..and Star Wars would be pretty fantastic but I think the only thing that could really make this work over the top and generate the buzz for this would be if Lucas were to go ahead and make parts 7, 8 and 9 of the Star Wars franchise. Very, VERY unlikely to ever happen but Star Wars was always meant to be a 9 part series. If these movies were to get made and Disney were to build an area dedicated to all the films (minus Jar Jar) then that'd be something that MAYBE could do it. Mind you, I'm just dreaming here.

*facepalm

No, no it wasn't. Star Wars was never meant to be a nine part series. It was always meant to be the story of Anakin/Luke Skywalker, which ends with Luke redeeming his father in ROTJ. There will never be a 7,8,9 because there doesn't need to be.

At any rate, a Lucasland would be cool. But...I dunno, it just wouldn't fit my perception of "Disney." Star Tours is enough imo.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
LoTR the sort of book favoured by ers and ageing hippies.

But FFS is this becoming a competition to see who can claim to have the hairiest palm sado obsession?

RSoxNo1

The problem with LotR going to Disney is that Universal has already made strides to get the franchise for their parks.

Ignohippo

*facepalm

No, no it wasn't. Star Wars was never meant to be a nine part series. It was always meant to be the story of Anakin/Luke Skywalker, which ends with Luke redeeming his father in ROTJ. There will never be a 7,8,9 because there doesn't need to be.

At any rate, a Lucasland would be cool. But...I dunno, it just wouldn't fit my perception of "Disney." Star Tours is enough imo.

Off topic completely, but sources close to Lucas are claiming he's considering moving on to 7,8, and 9. Supposedly it'll center on the children or grandchildren of Luke and Leia (and Han).

Back on topic, I'm expecting a large kick off to the new campaign, a bit about the Dream and FLE and a little bit about the Jungle Trek. I'll bet we hear about Project X and Circusland but nothing else. I'm crossing my fingers a real ToonTown will be a surprise announcement to the expansion plans but I know there's little to no chance.

As long as we get answers to Project X and Circusland (yuck) I'll be happy.

flavious27

Oh...we aren't combining franchises into one super franchise to take on Potter?

EDIT: And really? Yet another thread devolving into Potter is/isn't responsible for everything bad/good in the world?

I don't want every fanboy in the world killing me.

7,8,9 were never intended to be made, the "saga" is about anakin and he died in episode 6.

You said nothing can stand up to hp, I gave you three brands that can. I don't think anyone on here thinks that shireland will be announced tomorrow because peter jackson starts shooting next month.

But as the majority of comments show, a lotr land can stand up because the stories are strong and the creative force behind the movies is stronger.

Oh and Disney was so close to actually making lotr, but Eisner and Miramax let it slip away by trying to make it on the cheap.

flavious27

The problem with LotR going to Disney is that Universal has already made strides to get the franchise for their parks.

Universal does not have the land in either of their resorts for it unless they get rid of Jurassic Land, which is doubtful because it is their franchise and they are starting a second trilogy. Getting wwhp pushed in ioa was hard enough for uni.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom