Press event Tuesday, Jan. 18th.

jt04

Back to Cynacism

No kidding! I need to unsubscribe from this thread.

And yes, thank you to the people (Lee and Raven) who have provided us with credible information regarding the pending press conference and the actual information that will come forth.

And if they turn out to be wrong or they are deceiving everyone? :fork:

It's fun to dream, but don't be disappointed tomorrow, guys. If it was as big as some of these ideas are, the local media would most definetly be invited (as well as national media) and there would be a HUGE buzz. Alas, not a word from our Orlando media outlets. Let's face it - tomorrow the Disney blog will post something at around 10am saying that there will be a press conference, they will pat themselves on the back about the new Disney Dream, talk some FLE stuff that we already now (because believe it or not, the average American doesn't know it is going on anyways....), and then talk about the campaign. Quite frankly, I will be shocked if it makes the local 11:00 news. I would love to dream a bigger dream, but I was WAY too let down last time to even go there this time... Ha! :)

Hmmmmmm :lookaroun

From Mouseplanet:

Press event to debut new castle show, new ship

Walt Disney Parks & Resorts is holding a major press event this week taking place on both land and sea.

Tuesday evening, the Magic Kingdom closes at 6:00 before the after-hours start of the press event. The evening kicks off with a presentation on what's new and what's next at Walt Disney World. Later on, the media will get the first look at the new "The Magic, The Memories and You!" castle projection show. (The show will premiere to the public on Wednesday night, and will debut on the facade of "it's a small world" at Disneyland Park on Friday night.)

Wednesday, the action moves to the ocean with the Christening Voyage of the Disney Dream. The Disney Cruise Line's newest ship will be christened at 10:40 a.m., and you can watch the ceremony live on the Disney Cruise Line Web site (link). Following the ceremony, the ship will sail away with the media for a two-day cruise, providing the media with an opportunity to find out about all of the new amenities on board. There will be media sessions on the interactive play floor in the Oceaneers Club, the new Magical Portholes that give inside staterooms a view of the outside, the AquaDuck water coaster, interactive artwork, new restaurants, nightclubs, and Disney's Believe – the Disney Cruise Line's newest show.

Hmmmmm again!

And here is the problem! Whenever someone casts doubt on "PROJECT X" within minutes a poster chimes in to reinforce the rumor. It has been this way since the rumor started. There are some people here that are extremely invested in keeping the rumor alive. And no matter how big it gets they tend to be silent.(Except Lee ). And it is usually propped up by new members with no track record or Juan. I hate being a doubter but it seems as though they care MUCH more about the rumor staying alive that the actual project happening. So I hope I am wrong and will be pleasently suprised if I am -- but if it is true, Disney can claim this as their new "best kept secret".

Is the Mine Coaster showbuilding supposed to be a mountain or something else?

Here is the type post that always shows up within minutes of any signs of doubt about project X. It is always something that has an obvious answer or some mundane question and brings everybody back to the initial rumor. Just like clockwork. :dazzle:

Do we have an official title for the mine coaster? Will it be considered a Magic Kingdom Mountain?

And again.:rolleyes:

Let me go out on a limb. Some people are raising expectations trying to create an internet backlash when the great and awesome "PROJECT X" turns out to be indeed just "changes at the margins" and a relatively minor addition.

I hope I end up eating my words. I really do. :cool:

Cue the diversion tactics :rolleyes::brick::hurl:

Crazy Harry

7,8,9 were never intended to be made, the "saga" is about anakin and he died in episode 6.

That is not entirely true. Of course it depends on if you talk to GL now or 30 years ago. These quotes from various sources were compiled on theforce.net:

George Lucas Quotes on Sequels

Posted By Scott on July 1, 1999
Flagger found the following from the May 23, 1983 issue of TIME:

"Though Lucas has no immediate plans for Han, Leia or Luke, that does not mean he will not come up with some in the next decade or so. If he does carry the story any further, he will go back to the beginning to make a prequel. Only after that ---and certainly not before the 1990's-- would he do the sequel and show what happens to the Star Wars trio after Jedi.

"The sequels, the three movies that would follow Jedi, are considerably vaguer. Their main theme will be the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from worng. Luke, who will then be the age OBI-WAN KENOBI is now, some place in his 60's, will reappead, and so will his friends, assuming the creator decides to carry the epic further."

Martin Laverdure also found enough to choke a Bantha (some are direct quotes, some paraphrased):

Time- March 6, 1978
Lucas has set set up four corporations: Star Wars Corp. will make STAR WARS II, and then, count them, ten others planned sequels.

Rolling Stone- August 25, 1977
Lucas "I think that the sequels will be much, much better. What I want to do is direct the last sequel. I would do the first one and let everyone else do the ones between. I would want to try to get some good directors and see what their interpretation of the theme is. One of the sequels we are thinking of is the young days of Obi-Wan. It would probably be all differents actors.

L.A Reader - March 7, 1980
Lucas " STAR WARS is really three trilogies, nine films.....it won't be finished for probably another 20 years."

L.A Herald Examiner- August 21, 1980
Lucas says he chose to start in the middle because the first trilogy is more plot-oriented, more soap-opera-ish.

L..A Times- September 23, 1980
Lucas projects to end the Saga by 2004.

Time- May 19, 1980
Lucas" The last trilogy involve the rebuilding of the Republic."

Press-Telegram- May 18, 1983
Lucas " Now I've finished one book. And there may be two other books in my mind, but wether I start another book is not crucially important. The next book doesn't have anything to do with this book. Different sets, different actors. So it's not like I have to rush out and do another."

Star Wars Screen Saver: 1994
Lucas says that Star Wars is a saga is story of Good VS Evil, divided in nine parts.

Stephen Sansweet, 1997
I've asked Lucas about Episodes 7-8-9. Response: "'Let's just get past the first three before we worry about the last three."

1993 French Premiere
Lucas" A New Star Wars movie will hit theater before the turn of The Century. These will be prequels to the current trilogy. For The Third Trilogy, I don't if I will still be alive when comes the time to make them."

1990, French Premiere, September
Lucas" In fact, Star Wars 4 was already in production when I began to work on Star Wars. Star Wars is a story, divided in three trilogies. It's a long movie of 18 hours, divided in nine parts. The next trilogy will be prequels, with events taking place some years before the current trilogy. The main characters will be, besides A Young Vader and a Young Ben Kenobi, completely new . The look will be different too.

Disney Adventures, March 1997 (If I remember well, the questions asked to Lucas were by one of his daughter.
Q. What about Episodes 7-8-9 ?
Lucas: Ask me that question after I complete Episode 1,2,3 in the year 2003 !"

Montreal's Movies, April, 1997
Lucas" The next movies are prequels. It's the story of Darth Vader. The First one is a pretty light movie. It's the introduction and everything goes downhill from there. The Next three are more about who did what to who...Finally, there may be three more movies to conclude the epic some years down the road.

1997, Youth TV
Question: Will Luke Skywalker ever get married ?
Lucas: Not in the next three, since is not born (laugh)
Question: In the final trilogy ?
Lucas: Humm, I don't know.....I'm not sure which kind of characters will be in the sequels. Nothing definitive. We'll have to wait and see.

And don't forget your McCallum's German interview, where Rick speaks about the third trilogy. This interview is right on the money and it shows how Lucas really feels about the third trilogy right now. Those are only some of Lucas' quotes about Episodes 7-8-9. (I've the same amount of quotes concerning Hamill)

Dan Boris sent the following:

I found some information about lucas the the "9 movies" in an article from the Philadelphia Inquirer Magazine dated May 29, 1983. There are no direct qoutes from lucas but things are some indirect qoutes.

Towards the start of the article:
That [Star Wars] saga could actually become his life's work, if he follows through on his plan to make two additional trilogies...

Then later:
...Lucas is envisaging an assembly-line approach to making of the other two trilogies, when he gets around to starting them. "It would be like a mini-series, when you shoot the thing all at once," he explains. "Then the movies would come out every other year."

And in the next paragraph:
But George Lucas says he is not going to be making the other Star Wars trilogies soon.

TK-421 also found a quote:

It is taken from the book "Once Upon A Galaxy: A Journal of The Making of The Empire Strikes Back" (pub 1980), by Alan Arnold, who was the publicist on the film. As the title stats, it's his journal of the filming. Arnold was on set pretty much every day, and in the book has transcripts of many of his interviews with the cast and crew. This was in interview with Lucas done on Thursday, July 19th 1979. It's starts on page 176.

"AA: Do the worlds and the characters take you over and begin to write themselves, in a sense?

GL: Yes. The first script was just murder to write, just aweful. It took me two years. Most of it was simply finding my way through that world. Now I'm much more emersed in the world. When I did the story for the second film, it was easier because it's really part of the Star Wars story. The first script was one of six original stories I had written in the form of two trilogies. After the success of Star Wars I added another trilogy. So now there are nine stories. The original two trilogies were concieved of as six films of which the first film was number four."

I think Lucas won't admit it now because he doesn't want to make them and doesn't want deaths threats if he admits it now but still won't make them.

jakeman

Let me go out on a limb. Some people are raising expectations trying to create an internet backlash when the great and awesome "PROJECT X" turns out to be indeed just "changes at the margins" and a relatively minor addition.
:lol: That's a little tin-foil hatty, even for you jt.

I think Lucas won't admit it now because he doesn't want to make them and doesn't want deaths threats if he admits it now but still won't make them.
Also, you have the EU which is now 45 years post ANH and you have Legacy which is 130 post RotJ. Unless he is willing to undo all that (which after the disregard for Boba Fett's story, he is), he doesn't have much to work with.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
This thread has drifted way off topic. It was a fun conversation until this nonsense about Lord of the Rings started. Can we move away from all that talk and back to tomorrow's announcement please. Start a new thread if you want to talk Rings vs Potter.

menamechris

And here is the problem! Whenever someone casts doubt on "PROJECT X" within minutes a poster chimes in to reinforce the rumor. It has been this way since the rumor started. There are some people here that are extremely invested in keeping the rumor alive. And no matter how big it gets they tend to be silent.(Except Lee ). And it is usually propped up by new members with no track record or Juan. I hate being a doubter but it seems as though they care MUCH more about the rumor staying alive that the actual project happening. So I hope I am wrong and will be pleasently suprised if I am -- but if it is true, Disney can claim this as their new "best kept secret".

I am a little lost. :) You quoted like 5 people, one of which was me. Some people are lofty dreamers, but I'm not mad at them or anything....haha

Crazy Harry

:lol: That's a little tin-foil hatty, even for you jt.

Also, you have the EU which is now 45 years post ANH and you have Legacy which is 130 post RotJ. Unless he is willing to undo all that (which after the disregard for Boba Fett's story, he is), he doesn't have much to work with.

Yes, I forgot this point. That would disappoint many fans who have spent countless hours reading this material. But I believe Lucas has also stated that the books written by authors other than him are not canon.

jakeman

Yes, I forgot this point. That would disappoint many fans who have spent countless hours reading this material. But I believe Lucas has also stated that the books written by authors other than him are not canon.
Complete thread drift, but there are different levels of canon and GL can overwrite the EU, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't result in your first point with many fans being disappointed.

On topic...well...I got nothing...

Crazy Harry

I think people are expecting an attraction (which was refered to in the same article you are referencing) that is small relative to the rest of the expansion. I really don't think people are expecting the next Splash Mountain, but are as excited as if that were true because before we were getting 1 ride and many meet and greets, and now we are going to get one more ride. I don't know how you can ignore the quotes from the article that a ride is being built and the appeal of the expansion needed to be broadened. If you start with a bunch of princesses, and remove a few princesses, you still have a smaller bunch of princesses which does not change the appeal at all unless you add something else.

Lee

Adventurer
Neither LotR nor any other non-Disney owned property is under consideration for addition to the parks.
They are only adding what they already own.

MAF

Didn't JT claim that the Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella cottages were still coming and the mine train ride was just a "myth"? :brick:

huntzilla

A quick bit of speculation. I received a tweet this morning that the El Pirata y El Pericos' refurb is due to it changing over to a POTC restaurant in lieu of the 4th film. Now I remember, someone claiming about a potential change in AL near the Tiki Room. I'm just trying putting 2+2 together. POTC is a huge franchise, Iger loves synergy, and this would be a smallish edition that some insirders were claiming may be announced. Am I close at all?

cbconglom

A quick bit of speculation. I received a tweet this morning that the El Pirata y El Pericos' refurb is due to it changing over to a POTC restaurant in lue of the 4th film. Now I remember, someone claiming about a potential change in AL near the Tiki Room. I'm just trying putting 2+2 together. POTC is a huge franchise, Iger loves synergy, and this would be a smallish edition that some insirders were claiming may be announced. Am I close at all?

saw that on twitter and was wondering the same thing.. anyone?

lazyboy97o

Obviously you fail to grasp the anger at TDO that is simmering out there. That is where you will find all the tin foil. IE "purposely skewing guest surveys" :lookaroun
Maybe you should expand your sources of information. The Seven Dwarves Mine Train is known about all over the place and is constantly being corroborated.

The stories about skewing guest surveys are also old and well known.

Didn't JT claim that the Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella cottages were still coming and the mine train ride was just a "myth"? :brick:
That seems to be the case, but he'll deny it all when it is announced and say he knew it was coming and they are exactly as he thought they would.

SeaCastle

A quick bit of speculation. I received a tweet this morning that the El Pirata y El Pericos' refurb is due to it changing over to a POTC restaurant in lieu of the 4th film. Now I remember, someone claiming about a potential change in AL near the Tiki Room. I'm just trying putting 2+2 together. POTC is a huge franchise, Iger loves synergy, and this would be a smallish edition that some insirders were claiming may be announced. Am I close at all?

I just posted in the other thread why I didn't think there would be a new restaurant in El Pirata y el Perico. Here's a quote for those who missed it:

El Pirata is currently undergoing a facade refurbishment. Thus, it recently received a paint job, and is still awaiting its new roof (if it hasn't already). The rumor of turning it into a Pirate/Tortuga restaurant have been around for a long time, and I understand that there were plans to turn the old Adventureland Veranda into a pirate-restaurant-meet-and-greet.

I believe there would have to be significant changes to the interior of El Pirata to turn it into a restaurant. Currently, it's a seasonal quick service location featuring Mexican food. They'd have to change a lot to make it into a full-blown restaurant, especially since it's connected to Pecos Bill's (and may even have a shared kitchen). I'm not sure there's even enough room to transform it into a restaurant, but I could be wrong.

Now, what raven said about the Adventureland addition:

Haven't heard anything about the Tiki Room but I have seen concepts about another attraction redo that's nearby. :animwink: Who knows if that information will be released though as it's still premature.

Notice the use of the word "attraction"- not restaurant, or anything along those lines. Plus, it is implied that the potential additions (to the Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, or even Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse) are still in development, thus "premature".

Also, the "surprises" that may or may not be announced do not necessarily have to be small, because like what Lee said, they have to be approved by Iger over the next few days. Something that requires clearance through Iger could mean something large-scale, like an attraction though according to Raven, not an attraction for EPCOT. Since insiders have also put forth that there are no attractions in the near pipeline for Animal Kingdom, you're left with a new attraction for either MGM Studios or the Magic Kingdom. I'm thinking the MI coaster may be the surprise here, though it could very well be something else. Or they may not announce anything at all.

Between the New Fantasyland and RFID details, the new DVC, and a potential attraction being announced...well...you know where I'll be in exactly 24 hours. ;)

Atomicmickey

Where will be able to watch/see/hear about this conference?

I still can't find any reference to it online, beyond in this forum, and the fact that MK is indeed closed at 6 tomorrow.

Some sort of official site link, please?

Heck, if you read both you can see how many "ideas" Rowling got from LotR.

Finally!!!! I have been saying this for years and no one I have talked to sees this. Entire characters and scenes were ripped from LotR and dropped right into potter. She is a complete ripoff artist

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom