Possible Frontierland expansion

P_Radden

Another problem with using this plot of land is that the end point of the AVAC trash collection system is smack dab in the middle of it...

-Rob

This spot doesn't seem like a wise area to place another E-ticket. Your moving the parade entrance which shuts down the main walkway to and from SM and BTM. This project has to improve the flow of traffic otherwise would cause many problems.

Yeah I agree. No expansion for that area. Too many issues with the existing infrastructure.

jt04

Yes, but not necessarily picking up buildings and filling in rivers, rerouting railroad tracks or digging massive tunnels. :) Think path of least resistance unless it's necessary to the story of a land or attraction.

How bout rerouting the parade route so that it no longer needs a building in frontierland? Simple yet profound.

doctornick

Original Poster
Any areas of interest will be around TSI / ROA and/or north of Splash/ west of BTM.

You or @articos probably cannot say, but it would save significant armchair engineering if you were able to answer these:

1. Is there any possibility of the part RoA being filled in or redirected in any capacity?
2. Assuming the RoA stay as is, is there any possibility that the land around the river (i.e. north of the canal/BTMRR) is used at all?

doctornick

Original Poster
Yes, but not necessarily picking up buildings and filling in rivers, rerouting railroad tracks or digging massive tunnels. :) Think path of least resistance unless it's necessary to the story of a land or attraction.

Right, that's my thought, too. Assuming that @marni1971 is correct about the Riverboat surviving and based on what he just said in this thread, that would leave two likely options in my mind:

1. Putting a new attraction in the established expansion pad behind BTMRR (more likely)
2. Putting bridges over the the upper island of TSI, cutting off the connection between the islands and having the riverboat just circle the lower island. New attraction goes on the upper island.

The problem with #1 is that is pretty much cuts off using any of the land around the northern part of RoA in the future without massive changes. This leaves the dead end in Frontierland which kinda sucks during parades.

The problem with #2 is that it makes the Riverboat ride shorter, loses the show scenes for that ride and may end up costing the fort. On the upside, it makes it more likely to solve the dead end issue if they put bridges from the island to both Frontierland and Liberty Square, connecting them further north.

HauntedMansionFLA

Right, that's my thought, too. Assuming that @marni1971 is correct about the Riverboat surviving and based on what he just said in this thread, that would leave two likely options in my mind:

1. Putting a new attraction in the established expansion pad behind BTMRR (more likely)
2. Putting bridges over the the upper island of TSI, cutting off the connection between the islands and having the riverboat just circle the lower island. New attraction goes on the upper island.

The problem with #1 is that is pretty much cuts off using any of the land around the northern part of RoA in the future without massive changes. This leaves the dead end in Frontierland which kinda sucks during parades.

The problem with #2 is that it makes the Riverboat ride shorter, loses the show scenes for that ride and may end up costing the fort. On the upside, it makes it more likely to solve the dead end issue if they put bridges from the island to both Frontierland and Liberty Square, connecting them further north.
I would be sad if RoA would be taken away. We like to take the boat ride and relax a little bit. It's a nice way to take a breather from all of the walking around and take in the beauty of that part of the park. We do the same thing over in tomorrow land and ride the peoplemover.

ToTBellHop

You or @articos probably cannot say, but it would save significant armchair engineering if you were able to answer these:

1. Is there any possibility of the part RoA being filled in or redirected in any capacity?
2. Assuming the RoA stay as is, is there any possibility that the land around the river (i.e. north of the canal/BTMRR) is used at all?
I would imagine it means the area west of Big Thunder is being looked at. They already have a walkway under the railroad (Splash) that they could use to get there with minor reworking of the Splash exit.

Sage of Time

Well I haven't paid a lot of attention to that area due to all the support facilities there. There is a big building for SM that would have to be themed, and I think some of those other buildings are for the parade floats and maintenance, but I could be wrong about that part. Either way, to use that area for the expansion, they would have to relocate all those facilities buildings. Not gonna happen

This area south would require less amount of work to turn into on stage Frontier Land, but the gate for the parade would have to be moved back. Still not gonna happen:
View attachment 102728

Edited for clarity.
I think it would be much easier than you think to move SOME of those buildings.

MerlinTheGoat

WDW1974 just dropped a comment in his current spirited thread about this project. No "news" in the traditional sense, just his opinion. But most people who follow his posts here will agree that his opinions are extremely valuable and accurate to reality (and his track record for upcoming news is almost always spot on), even if it's just him sharing his feelings about something. So i'd say it's worth sharing here.

Unfortunately his opinion about this project is very low, whatever he knows about the proposal that we don't has sadly left him very unimpressed. So it sounds like this project has a good chance of being a dud. That's quite unfortunate, but it's probably wise for those of us who had high hopes for this to adjust our expectations lower, i've found it's always best to confront disappointment early before getting too excited for something...

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-spirited-perfect-ten.894588/page-1249#post-6815321

I hope '74 is just basing his opinion on fan speculation rather than legit inside info, but that would be quite out of character for him to share info he didn't have VERY good reason to believe. I did see a post from @articos where he seemed to indicate we could at least get "somewhat excited" for this. But 74's incredible track record speaks for itself as well.

Last edited:

WDWdream97

WDW1974 just dropped a comment in his current spirited thread about this project. No "news" in the traditional sense, just his opinion. But most people who follow his posts here will agree that his opinions are extremely valuable and accurate to reality (and his track record for upcoming news is almost always spot on), even if it's just him sharing his feelings about something. So i'd say it's worth sharing here.

Unfortunately his opinion about this project is very low, whatever he knows about the proposal that we don't has sadly left him very unimpressed. So it sounds like this project has a good chance of being a dud. That's quite unfortunate, but it's probably wise for those of us who had high hopes for this to adjust our expectations lower, i've found it's always best to confront disappointment early before getting too excited for something...

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-spirited-perfect-ten.894588/page-1249#post-6815321

I hope '74 is just basing his opinion on speculation rather than legit inside info, @articos seemed to indicate we could at least get "somewhat excited" for this. But 74's incredible track record speaks for itself.
From what I read before, Spirit's posts seemed to infer that a raft ride might be coming to MK. If this is true I just hope it is A LOT better than KRR, and more akin to a plused version of GRR.

Unplugged

I would imagine it means the area west of Big Thunder is being looked at. They already have a walkway under the railroad (Splash) that they could use to get there with minor reworking of the Splash exit.

If you look at the overall layout, this doesn't seem practical at all. The maintenance shed for BTMRR is right there as the trains go under the real train track to the shed. Leaving that in place and assuming the could make a path over or under (unlikely), then the remaining pad is fairly small.

I tend to think that if they were to do something in that area, which I doubt at this time, I fear it would have to be radical by changing and utilizing the river & island space. Knowing how Disney does things, there seems to be too much ride infrastructure back there (Pirates building, BTMRR shed, garbage collection, & the waterway for riverboat maintenance & locks).

doctornick

Original Poster

WDW1974 has his opinions and he's entitled to them, but I don't think it's a reason to fret. His comment struck me as more a concern about how it changes the "character" of Frontierland than a value judgement on the possible quality of the project. So, my guess is either:

1. The attraction would have a theme or concept that he's not pleased with (e.g. something like Woody's Roundup, introducing more toons into a land steeped in realism or maybe a raft ride which he doesn't seem pleased with conceptually) or
2. It would change the setup of Frontierland in a significant way. e.g. diverting the Liberty Belle to only travelling around the smaller southern island, resulting in a shorter ride there.

Personally, I'd be okay with things like that depending on what is actually produced. So, I continue to be optimistic until I see details that are concerning. Furthermore, I'm pleasantly surprised that they are even expanding Frontierland at all which I wouldn't think would be on Disney'd radar.

The thing to realize is it's just an opinion and everyone should judge things on their own. I rather like the 7DMT which was endlessly derided by many on here during construction. Now, it's not an E-ticket, but it's a solid addition yet some criticized it to such an extent that it seemed like a worthless addition. To each their own, though.

bakntime

1. The attraction would have a theme or concept that he's not pleased with (e.g. something like Woody's Roundup, introducing more toons into a land steeped in realism or maybe a raft ride which he doesn't seem pleased with conceptually) or

A land steeped in realism ... that has a singing-bear hoedown, a ride on a log past talking bunnies, bears, and foxes as they chase each other past other talking critters, and an entire island based on a fictional character.

Yes, the architecture is intended to be derivative of the "real old West," but very little of Frontierland is historically accurate. Liberty Square make a push for that, but it's clearly all idealized (and has a haunted house with ghosts).

While a Woody's Roundup attraction will be terribly foolish, a "character-based" attraction that falls in line with Splash or Country Bears wouldn't necessarily be a misstep, in my opinion. And honestly, I don't see Disney putting Pixar in Frontierland, especially with a Pixar expansion coming to DHS.

I respect Marni's posts, but even with his insider knowledge, I think it would be hard to judge just yet what kind of tenor the project will take on. I think it's just far too early in the process for judgments to be made. Things that sound stupid sometimes turn out amazing (Splash Mountain doesn't conceptually sound like a fit for Frontierland, but now it's beloved).

2. It would change the setup of Frontierland in a significant way. e.g. diverting the Liberty Belle to only travelling around the smaller southern island, resulting in a shorter ride there.

Personally, I'd be okay with things like that depending on what is actually produced.
I'd actually be okay with it, too. It would be a shame to lose the kinetics of the Liberty Belle, so I hope they at least keep it in some functional capacity, but the loss of the "back end" of the Rivers wouldn't completely bother me. And I don't see them removing the river altogether, so I doubt that's even on the table.

Actually, a bridge to the "back part" of the island would be a welcome addition. It would add accessibility to an otherwise less-traveled area of MK. It could also result in some new things to see and experience from the Railroad (think along the lines of the town of Tumbleweed, along with views of the new attraction).

I rather like the 7DMT which was endlessly derided by many on here during construction. Now, it's not an E-ticket, but it's a solid addition yet some criticized it to such an extent that it seemed like a worthless addition. To each their own, though.
It's a great looking ride, adds atmosphere and energy to that area, and it doesn't limit age groups. Yeah, it's a bit short, but it's still a beautifully themed attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom