Possible Frontierland expansion

doctornick

Original Poster
Flame effects again in the log cabin.

đź‘Ť

The MK has other expansion options. The island and the northern shore should be left alone and the mistake in Anaheim shouldn’t be made here. There was a plan for the 50th to develop an east - west connection in the area, it looked shaky even before now.

Why do you think the expansion in Anaheim is a "mistake"? Based on the property used (and how it fits with the rest of the park) and how efficiently the space is utilized?

Or something just intrinsic to developing the northern part of ROA?

I'm just curious because IMHO developing the northern part of ROA is a great thing for Disneyland in terms of guest flow and increasing space, but the specific development done is not ideal (based more of how it fits with the rest of DL not necessarily SWGE in general - don't want to go down the GE rabbit hole).

I'm also wondering what the details are about an "east - west connection" in MK -- where did that involve? From Fantasyland to more north in Liberty Square? All the way over to Frontierland? Would it have impacted ROA/TSI?

deWild

Flame effects again in the log cabin.

The MK has other expansion options. The island and the northern shore should be left alone and the mistake in Anaheim shouldn’t be made here. There was a plan for the 50th to develop an east - west connection in the area, it looked shaky even before now.

What other expansion plans are on the table? I would imagine the walkway from GF to MK was not simply for exercise.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
đź‘Ť

Why do you think the expansion in Anaheim is a "mistake"? Based on the property used (and how it fits with the rest of the park) and how efficiently the space is utilized?

If it had been done behind the berm, without taking existing land and water then it would have been a lot better. Having seen it firsthand, the quality of the work is outstanding but the river has loss its charm. There’s no feeling of isolation anymore - something Orlando still has. It’s not about the IP - that’s a different conversation - but what it’s done to Frontierland.

doctornick

Original Poster
If it had been done behind the berm, without taking existing land and water then it would have been a lot better. Having seen it firsthand, the quality of the work is outstanding but the river has loss its charm. There’s no feeling of isolation anymore - something Orlando still has. It’s not about the IP - that’s a different conversation - but what it’s done to Frontierland.

Hmm, interesting. I haven't experienced it post changes and I know the river was shortened, but the changes and impact on Frontierland and the ROA seemed relatively minimal to me. Of course, the petting zoo and BBQ were lost so that impacting the whole of Frontierland (though they always seemed fairly detached to me).

Certainly though if they had build a smaller land, they could have build something on that north side of DL's ROA that didn't change the river/island but still added more park capacity and improved the guest flow and space.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hmm, interesting. I haven't experienced it post changes and I know the river was shortened, but the changes and impact on Frontierland and the ROA seemed relatively minimal to me. Of course, the petting zoo and BBQ were lost so that impacting the whole of Frontierland (though they always seemed fairly detached to me).

Certainly though if they had build a smaller land, they could have build something on that north side of DL's ROA that didn't change the river/island but still added more park capacity and improved the guest flow and space.
I’d still advocate they destroyed the best choice they had for a third gate for the foreseeable. Although given the luke warm (!) reception perhaps it’s a good job they didn’t dedicate a park to the IP unless it was exceptionally lavish. I wonder how they could have made a Marvel / SW duel park work. But I digress.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They should add a ride that involves a cowboys or something. Don’t tie it with an IP. Make something something simple and original.

The cowboying that made cowboy-related entertainment entertaining is mostly from mid-Twentieth Century films and TV shows whose portrayal of cowboying is a bit problematic nowadays.

_caleb

It's the charm I miss most at the parks. It's difficult to explain, but the parks used to have lots of "hidden" paths and areas one could get lost in and feel very far away from all the busyness of the rest of the park. Tom Sawyer Island is maybe the last bit of that element left.

I know capacity issues, maintenance costs, and maybe poor guest behavior have pushed Disney to broaden walkways and remove trees, benches, and fountains, but the long-term effect of this is the loss of the charm that once made Disney parks so special.

Last edited:

Purduevian

It's the charm I miss most at the parks. It's difficult to explain, but the parks used to have lots of "hidden" paths and areas one could get lost in and feel very far away from all the busyness of the rest of the park. Tom Sawyer Island is maybe the last bit of that element left.

I know capacity issues, maintenance costs, and maybe poor guest behavior have pushed Disney to broaden walkways and remove trees, benches, and fountains, but the long-term effect of this is the loss of the charm that once made Disney parks so special.

Maybe that's the only place left in Magic Kingdom, but in the other parks:
Museums in Epcot
Animal Trails and Planet Watch in Ak

_caleb

Maybe that's the only place left in Magic Kingdom, but in the other parks:
Museums in Epcot
Animal Trails and Planet Watch in Ak
Good point. The gallery in Morocco is a great example of a quiet corner. The Animal Trails can be crowded/busy at times, quiet at others. I'm sure there may be other places like these, but they're quickly being removed/replaced. Any other remaining "quiet corners" come to mind?

UNCgolf

Good point. The gallery in Morocco is a great example of a quiet corner. The Animal Trails can be crowded/busy at times, quiet at others. I'm sure there may be other places like these, but they're quickly being removed/replaced. Any other remaining "quiet corners" come to mind?

Rafiki's Planet Watch is usually pretty quiet. The Animation Experience has increased crowds to an extent, but they mainly just go, do the experience, and leave. There are still some other areas up there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom