Possible Frontierland expansion

Stevie Amsterdam

I could see the monkey being a merchandise magnet and helping to give the park an identity
You'd think that, but when I visited HKDL two months ago I was disappointed with the lack of (good) merchandise at Mystic Manor. There was very little Albert the Monkey stuff and what I did find, turned out to be a nail clipper. A. Nail. Clipper.
IMG_1881.JPG
IMG_1882.JPG

captainmoch

I have said many times that I'd love Mystic Manor in AK. Why couldn't it be Lord Mystic collecting animal artifacts from around the world? Monkey sidekick sets off magic; mayhem ensues. I could see the monkey being a merchandise magnet and helping to give the park an identity- like Figment did with Epcot. Add a restaurant or maze garden next door and you have a massive people eater that provides another attraction and air-conditioning. Seems like a no brainer to me....
That'd be great, honestly. A lengthy dark ride like this would be perfect for DAK.

doctornick

Original Poster
I have said many times that I'd love Mystic Manor in AK. Why couldn't it be Lord Mystic collecting animal artifacts from around the world? Monkey sidekick sets off magic; mayhem ensues. I could see the monkey being a merchandise magnet and helping to give the park an identity- like Figment did with Epcot. Add a restaurant or maze garden next door and you have a massive people eater that provides another attraction and air-conditioning. Seems like a no brainer to me....

Exactly, would be a great fit. And I agree about Albert potentially become a short mascot for the park in that case.

A ride like Mystic Manor -- a longish, family friendly dark ride -- is exactly what DAK would need once the current round of expansion (RoL, Pandora) comes online. Now, I don't think any of us are foolish enough to suggest that more money would be spent in that park in the near future or that it is even being considered, but I'd like for that to be the case.

I have this dream that they'd do a similar "celebration" for WDW/MK's 50th anniversary that they did for DL -- have the different parks get a "gift" of an attraction from somewhere else worldwide. In that scenario, Mystic Manor would be the perfect addition for DAK.

brb1006

Exactly, would be a great fit. And I agree about Albert potentially become a short mascot for the park in that case.

A ride like Mystic Manor -- a longish, family friendly dark ride -- is exactly what DAK would need once the current round of expansion (RoL, Pandora) comes online. Now, I don't think any of us are foolish enough to suggest that more money would be spent in that park in the near future or that it is even being considered, but I'd like for that to be the case.

I have this dream that they'd do a similar "celebration" for WDW/MK's 50th anniversary that they did for DL -- have the different parks get a "gift" of an attraction from somewhere else worldwide. In that scenario, Mystic Manor would be the perfect addition for DAK.
I remember when Buzz got added to Disneyland in honor of it's 50th Anniversary 11 years ago.

doctornick

Original Poster
I remember when Buzz got added to Disneyland in honor of it's 50th Anniversary 11 years ago.

Yes, as part of the "Happiest Homecoming on Earth" in 2005, the parks around the world got new attractions from other parks. At WDW, we saw:

* MK got Cinderellabration from Tokyo
* Epcot got Soarin' from DCA
* DHS got LMA from Paris
* DAK got Lucky the Dinosaur from DCA

doctornick

Original Poster
You're absolutely right. Two would be better. Three is what is needed.

Exactly. Love what they are doing with DAK, but it needs a couple more high capacity rides to fill out for a full day (there's still going to be a paucity of indoors activities for a park in the hot Florida sun). An E-ticket like Mystic Manor and a couple of C-ticket Fantasyland style dark rides would really make the park perfect.

Tavernacle12

I'd love to see Mystic Manor in DAK, as well as a few other dark ride people eaters (Jungle Book could fit really well in Asia, I keep fantasizing about it being stylized as 'the citizens of Anandapur present Jungle Book' so it's a dark ride about people making a dark ride somehow similar to how FOTLK is supposed to be presented by Harambe) but wasn't there some ruling that Mystic Manor had to remain unique to Hong Kong? I remember seeing it crop up on an earlier conversation about hoping it'd come to WDW. If I'm making that up, the only issue with it being in DAK (besides the price, obviously) is they'd have to swap out some of the more blatant Mansion gags.

Steel City Magic

Both use Omnimovers (one being a generation away from the other).....

That's about it.
Cmon now Martin, I'll never argue with you but, madam leota/ursulas pearl... there's more than a few similarities (personally I equate under the sea to the graveyard, ie many simple AA everywhere)
Or maybe it's just me. To me its a bargain bin HM with a little mermaid skin.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Cmon now Martin, I'll never argue with you but, madam leota/ursulas pearl... there's more than a few similarities (personally I equate under the sea to the graveyard, ie many simple AA everywhere)
You know, I never saw it like that. But I see what you mean.

yensidtlaw1969

I suppose there is something to this -- It was frequently claimed by Imagineers during its development that Mermaid was intended to be DCA's answer to The Haunted Mansion and Pirates as a slow moving, animatronic-laden musical attraction for families. While I think most would agree that Mermaid never quite ascends to the lofty heights of either HM or Pirates, I'm sure there was at least some study into what makes these attractions tick as near-50 year successes and that their parallels were not quite coincidental.

bhg469

The lack of elevation changes is really kind of disappointing as well. HM uses them so well and frankly if mine train was an omni mover with less coaster elements and way more show scenes it would have bee way better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom