Possible Frontierland expansion

doctornick

Original Poster
So I haven't been reading this tread because I just assumed it was a rumor. Is there any truth to this? I feel so behind...

It was a rumor from a good source indicating that it was being considered and in an advanced stage of development. Apparently, since then, the project was not approved and will not be happening.

Donaldfan1934

MerlinTheGoat

It was mentioned just a day or two ago by @marni1971 that this project was shelved again. I don't know who has the most recent and best source on the matter though.

Fingers crossed. They'd have to change the ride though, since it was sort of Splash Mountainy in terms of thrills, right?
I was under the impression that it was comparable to Pirates of the Caribbean in terms of thrills, with just one smaller drop. Though I could be mistaken. Not even sure if it went outside.

It also seems fair however to mention that this ride concept has apparently varied dramatically over the times it has popped back up for consideration.

lazyboy97o

Fingers crossed. They'd have to change the ride though, since it was sort of Splash Mountainy in terms of thrills, right?
I was under the impression that it was comparable to Pirates of the Caribbean in terms of thrills, with just one smaller drop. Though I could be mistaken. Not even sure if it went outside.

It also seems fair however to mention that this ride concept has apparently varied dramatically over the times it has popped back up for consideration.
Western River Expedition was more similar to Pirates of the Caribbean. There was also a third, very little discussed white water canoeing ride that would have been part of the original Thunder Mesa complex.
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2015/01/all-about-western-river-expedition-part.html
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2015/01/all-about-western-river-expedition-part_29.html
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2015/02/all-about-western-river-expedition-part.html

ToTBellHop

It was mentioned just a day or two ago by @marni1971 that this project was shelved again. I don't know who has the most recent and best source on the matter though.

Yes, but my understanding is that the ride that was shelved was not WRE-like. I personally wasn't devastated to see it shelved. This would be more exciting.

HauntedMansionFLA

image.jpg
Agree, I cant see them doing this without an IP, but sure would welcome it!!

MerlinTheGoat

Yes, but my understanding is that the ride that was shelved was not WRE-like. I personally wasn't devastated to see it shelved. This would be more exciting.
I took his statement to mean that they shelved ALL Frontierland project plans...

You bet i'd be excited for something similar to WRE. Though I just hope it isn't at the expense of any existing attraction. There was some worry that the Riverboat would be permanently docked in the last round of rumors. I wouldn't want to lose it, Splash Mountain or Big Thunder. I'd be surprised if Splash or Thunder were removed given their popularity (never know though), but I always worry about the Riverboat.

Anything else you can say about this pitch? Don't suppose @whylightbulb would care to shed some "light" on the matter again? ;)

yeti

Very true, but I must admit that I'm a bit excited by the fact that something as fan-service based as this would even make it to the rumor stage.

I hope someday Disney Parks realizes they have a real fan base. Can you imagine if they made surprise announcements at D23 Expo with the same enthusiasm as, say, game developers at E3? Or the way they treat Marvel fans?

Building WRE would be a huge step in that direction, although I'm still skeptical as to whether this is really what we think it is...

MerlinTheGoat

I don't recall that... do you know where the post is?

I would wonder if that only referred to the original proposal for Frontierland that @whylightbulb referred to at the beginning of this thread.
It was in the Great Movie Ride closure thread yesterday. And I did indeed misread it. His statement was that the proposal to permanently dock the Riverboat was what was shelved. I don't see anything in his post about canning the entire plan to give Frontierland a new attraction. Sorry Martin, that's my mistake.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...raction-to-close.916184/page-120#post-7422489

ToTBellHop

It was in the Great Movie Ride closure thread yesterday. And I did indeed misread it. His statement was that the proposal to permanently dock the Riverboat was what was shelved. I don't see anything in his post about canning the entire plan to give Frontierland a new attraction. Sorry Martin, that's my mistake.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...raction-to-close.916184/page-120#post-7422489
If I could further that, though, I understand the proposal some of us discussed many months back, which would have been IP-based and west of Big Thunder has been shelved. The plan to put a ride on Tom Sawyer Island died a long time ago.

If there is a separate, more recent move to explore adding WRE in time for the 50th, that would be quite exciting.

Purse strings have been loosening elsewhere in time for the 50th; it wouldn't surprise me to hear of a new project for the park actually turning 50. The other three parks have plans firming up. Especially Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom