Possible Frontierland expansion

doctornick

Original Poster
Yes, but my understanding is that the ride that was shelved was not WRE-like. I personally wasn't devastated to see it shelved. This would be more exciting.

Yes, I seem to recall the scuttlebutt was that the proposed ride that was considered in the past was a higher thrill level rapids type ride. If a WRE variant is on the table, it would like be more like a classic Disney calm family ride. Considering the tech now available for such an experience (e.g. the Shanghai POTC ride tech), there's great potential to put a great spin on Marc Davis' classic idea.

HauntedMansionFLA

Yes, I seem to recall the scuttlebutt was that the proposed ride that was considered in the past was a higher thrill level rapids type ride. If a WRE variant is on the table, it would like be more like a classic Disney calm family ride. Considering the tech now available for such an experience (e.g. the Shanghai POTC ride tech), there's great potential to put a great spin on Marc Davis' classic idea.
Could you please tell me what WRE means?:) Still learning the boards and the lingo :) and I'm sure there is another person wondering the same thing. But very interesting topic.

MerlinTheGoat

Thanks for the clarification MansionButler! Non-IP would be great, and i'm relieved to hear the TSI/Riverboat docking plan has been scrapped as well (hopefully the plans to both were incinerated). I hope whatever we get IS indeed more of a traditional POTC-like experience. Not IP based, not a replacement for an existing attraction and hopefully not one of those rapids rides like Kali either.

If they are building this on new land and not on either TSI or the small piece between Big Thunder and Splash, I do wonder where this might end up going. I asked Martin a while back what expansion pads have been considered in the past for Magic Kingdom and he provided some helpful insight on the matter-
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/potential-land-for-future-magic-kingdom-expansions.907381/

Apparently the land I marked north of Big Thunder was considered a designated expansion plot. They'd have to create a way to get there through the Splash and Big Thunder area (which i'm sure is possible), but they also would need a bridge across the canal that doesn't interfere with the dry dock or lock gates.

A few years ago when this Frontierland proposal first cropped up, some people suggested using land above Haunted Mansion. Martin however said this area isn't a designated expansion plot, so I don't know if this could be used. They'd need a walkway that closely hugs the HM queue, jutting out along the edge of the canal. So I don't know if it would affect the Riverboat.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Figured this might be a good place to mention this...

@1023 has casually hinted in the DHS forum that there might be some version of Western River Expedition on the table for MK. Curious to see if anyone could confirm or provide any additional info.

Probably the best place for this comment @doctornick .... The WRE you have seen, as mentioned haphazardly in the other thread, (for that I apologize) is not what is on "pause". The current iteration is linked to an IP. MK has been it's target location. It has people eating ability. It is strongly being considered. This does not mean it will happen. It also does not mean it would not appear in some form in another park. (In fact, the considered IP could work well as an "Adventure".)

*1023*

I heavily edited myself in this post.

Haymarket2008

Probably the best place for this comment @doctornick .... The WRE you have seen, as mentioned haphazardly in the other thread, (for that I apologize) is not what is on "pause". The current iteration is linked to an IP. MK has been it's target location. It has people eating ability. It is strongly being considered. This does not mean it will happen. It also does not mean it would not appear in some form in another park. (In fact, the considered IP could work well as an "Adventure".)

*1023*

Is the current iteration possibly being considered for a land other than Frontierland? Maybe Adventureland? Which would strengthen my confidence in Indiana Jones being the IP... Or is the situation something like "If it doesn't go into MK, it will get another IP attached at DHS"?

Sped2424

*1023*

up paradise falls.

doctornick

Original Poster

*1023*

If the concept is still a "western/frontier" type idea, it's hard to see what IP would fit -- The Lone Ranger could, but with that movie failing so badly, I don't see them using it. Some sort of version Woody's Roundup from Toy Story could be used but doesn't really fit with the general vibe of WRE; guess I wouldn't put that past Disney though.

Now, if they were to use concepts from WRE but morph it into a different setting, then maybe something like Indiana Jones could work. If it is in 1940's American west and located in DHS, then something like that could work thematically. It is harder for me to see how you could adapt that stuff for Adventureland and keep a tropical vibe of the land, though I'd be interested in seeing how that might be executed.

That said, I'd prefer to see Frontierland get a calmer high capacity family ride (which the classic WRE concept would fit well) with Adventureland getting a thrill ride (Fire Mountain, Journey to the Center of the Earth, or an IJ ride similar to DL/TDS). That would balance out offerings around the park.

DinoInstitute

Really hope we get it in MK and not HS.... Personal feeling I think that side of MK needs a few more attractions.... Frontierland is two mountains and Country Bears... Need something else to help disperse the crowds.
I personally would rather HS. That park needs more to do, especially by SW to disperse crowds.

While a new ride for MK would be awesome for the 50th, I would be just as happy if the other parks more so got the bigger expansions/additions, and MK got major overhauls for some modernization on a lot of its attractions (Peter Pan, Space Mountain, CoP...the list goes on. Just basic up and down refreshing to brand new amazing quality all over the place).

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The problem with adding any new rides to MK is capacity. You add a new ride, and even more people will want to go there. Everyone complains about how crowded the hub and Main Street are - now add a new ride and it will be even more crowded. I agree that major overhauls park-wide would be awesome, and it's already started to happen.

WildcatDen

[QUOTE="MansionButler84, post: 7425265, member: 888]Purse strings have been loosening elsewhere in time for the 50th; it wouldn't surprise me to hear of a new project for the park actually turning 50. The other three parks have plans firming up. Especially Epcot.[/QUOTE]
THIS.

Although plans are underway for the entire resort for 2021 completion, it is the Magic Kingdom's 50th and I expect most on this site will be pleased, very pleased when that time comes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom