Plausible PI rumor

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
There are at least 4 former AC/CW performers as judges and one as a host. He's not my favorite host though. The AIE host Ryan Kim is by far the best host they have.

Don't forget about World Showcase Players too: Karl, Glenn & Phil

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I didn't know Karl was at HDD as well! He's so talented! I know he was doing stand up somewhere in Kissimmee a couple of weeks ago but I had to work and I couldn't go.

He was at the Radisson across from Celebration on 3/14 and was HILLARIOUS!!!!

GrumpyFan

As for the validity of this rumor, only time will tell. We all know too well that CMs are notorious for their "story telling" when it comes to new attractions. However, this rumor does seem to have some legs in that their supposedly talking of it being done at Flamingo Crossing. It's no secret that Disney was uncomfortable with the kinds of crowds that Pleasure Island was starting to draw. There were several security-related issues over the last couple of years in and around PI that probably weighed heavily in their decisions to close the clubs. And, I'm sure if you were able to look inside guest relations logs, you would probably see quite a few comments from families who were frightened away from DTD at night due to the rowdys from PI. So, even though PI may have been profitable, and still a market that has a demand, they had to do what was in the best interest for the majority of their guests.

With Flamingo Crossing opening up in a location that's far away from their family orientented shopping and dining district (ca$h cow), they have an opportunity to cater to the more adult style night life without scaring away families. I can see the possibility for a new rendition of AC, and several other PI style night clubs at this new location.

NMBC1993

As for the validity of this rumor, only time will tell. We all know too well that CMs are notorious for their "story telling" when it comes to new attractions. However, this rumor does seem to have some legs in that their supposedly talking of it being done at Flamingo Crossing. It's no secret that Disney was uncomfortable with the kinds of crowds that Pleasure Island was starting to draw. There were several security-related issues over the last couple of years in and around PI that probably weighed heavily in their decisions to close the clubs. And, I'm sure if you were able to look inside guest relations logs, you would probably see quite a few comments from families who were frightened away from DTD at night due to the rowdys from PI. So, even though PI may have been profitable, and still a market that has a demand, they had to do what was in the best interest for the majority of their guests.

With Flamingo Crossing opening up in a location that's far away from their family orientented shopping and dining district (ca$h cow), they have an opportunity to cater to the more adult style night life without scaring away families. I can see the possibility for a new rendition of AC, and several other PI style night clubs at this new location.

No it was more like they had to do what was best for their pocketbooks. Even though PI was making money Disney realized that they could make more money but just sitting back and collect rent from other companies. Those performers at the AC and CW aren't cheap to pay, that’s why they closed the Pocahontas show and stopped having four for a dollar perform before Beauty and the Beast the same day as the closing of PI, and those shows were as family friendly as you can get. Disney couldn't care less what was at PI as long as the guests keep spending money.

NMBC1993

Now all the people do is meander past shuttered buildings and their wallets remain as filled as they were before they left for Downtown Disney.

xD So true! I was there last weekend and I don't think I spent more than $6. And I only spent that much because with PI gone I need AMC to entertain me for a few hours.

GrumpyFan

No it was more like they had to do what was best for their pocketbooks. Even though PI was making money Disney realized that they could make more money but just sitting back and collect rent from other companies.

Yeah, that was kinda implied. If guests are scared, they don't shop, and when they don't shop, they don't spend money. I'm not an accountant, but I'm pretty sure that buildings sitting empty don't collect too much money.

Those performers at the AC and CW aren't cheap to pay, that’s why they closed the Pocahontas show and stopped having four for a dollar perform before Beauty and the Beast the same day as the closing of PI, and those shows were as family friendly as you can get. Disney couldn't care less what was at PI as long as the guests keep spending money.

True, there was probably some cost-cutting that took place, but PI was starting to create big problems with the "family crowd". There were numerous car break ins, several (publicized) incidents that led to arrests, and then the nightly exit of the drunken masses into the public and mixing with the "family crowd". Not to mention, it was expensive to run PI due to all of the security needed to make sure that guests behaved to Disney standards. I can't tell you how many times we were at DTD and witnessed the police toting someone out in handcuffs to a patrol car. It was just bad business for what was supposed to be a "family" environment.

NMBC1993

Yeah, that was kinda implied. If guests are scared, they don't shop, and when they don't shop, they don't spend money. I'm not an accountant, but I'm pretty sure that buildings sitting empty don't collect too much money.

Exactly, that’s why they should have just kept them open. If anything just the AC and CW, because I know for a fact that the gangs and whoever else was causing problems at DTD wouldn't want to hang around a place like that. I'm just having a hard time believing that the problems at PI were the only reason for the closing. If that was the case then why hasn't Disney built something of their own in that area yet? They're losing money by the hour by not having something there. It seems strange that Universal can handle drunk people in their area but Disney can't? :shrug: I think Disney has been looking for a way to close PI for a while now and the problem with the gangs was just the scapegoat they needed. Only problem, the economy caused that whole idea to backfire. Because Disney to cheap to do something on their own.

WDW1974

True, there was probably some cost-cutting that took place, but PI was starting to create big problems with the "family crowd". There were numerous car break ins, several (publicized) incidents that led to arrests, and then the nightly exit of the drunken masses into the public and mixing with the "family crowd". Not to mention, it was expensive to run PI due to all of the security needed to make sure that guests behaved to Disney standards. I can't tell you how many times we were at DTD and witnessed the police toting someone out in handcuffs to a patrol car. It was just bad business for what was supposed to be a "family" environment.

Nope. Not at all. And this whole 'family crowd' idea of WDW is really getting scary. Don't want to address it too much here, but Chris has a great post/thread on the general WDW board comparing the dumbing down of WDW vs. what he saw in Tokyo and Hong Kong.

First of all, the 'family crowd' never belonged at PI to begin with. Do parents take their brats to clubs and bars in the real world? Disney should have restricted admittance to PI to those 18 and over. Then, they made matters worse (as part of killing the place) by removing the gates and letting anyone roam the island. That did lead to an increase in 'incidents' although it wasn't like there was gangland violence or people getting mugged nightly. And crime is up at WDW everywhere, which again tends to happen when the economy is in the toilet ... plus you have stupid people that will leave $2,000 cameras or a wallet in a stoller and then wonder why someone walked off with them.

But you make it seem like PI was just like an episode of 'Cops' and that just wasn't accurate.

It was no coincidence that as Disney started to kill PI that they suddenly had more issues with the clientele there.

~Bad Boys ...~

jt04

Nope. Not at all. And this whole 'family crowd' idea of WDW is really getting scary. Don't want to address it too much here, but Chris has a great post/thread on the general WDW board comparing the dumbing down of WDW vs. what he saw in Tokyo and Hong Kong.

First of all, the 'family crowd' never belonged at PI to begin with. Do parents take their brats to clubs and bars in the real world? Disney should have restricted admittance to PI to those 18 and over. Then, they made matters worse (as part of killing the place) by removing the gates and letting anyone roam the island. That did lead to an increase in 'incidents' although it wasn't like there was gangland violence or people getting mugged nightly. And crime is up at WDW everywhere, which again tends to happen when the economy is in the toilet ... plus you have stupid people that will leave $2,000 cameras or a wallet in a stoller and then wonder why someone walked off with them.

But you make it seem like PI was just like an episode of 'Cops' and that just wasn't accurate.

It was no coincidence that as Disney started to kill PI that they suddenly had more issues with the clientele there.

~Bad Boys ...~

I disagree. The PI concept never belonged at WDW to begin with in an area that is mixed use. Eisner was wrong, and now he's gone. PI's gone.

As for "suddenly having more issues", well it makes you wonder what was really going on at PI. I have a good guess.

WDW1974

I disagree. The PI concept never belonged at WDW to begin with in an area that is mixed use. Eisner was wrong, and now he's gone. PI's gone.

As for "suddenly having more issues", well it makes you wonder what was really going on at PI. I have a good guess.

Yeah, PI never belonged. A resort that covers 30,000 plus acres of land, that aims to keep people on its property for their whole vacations, should not have any adult venues.

PI was an amazing concept and it worked well. Until Disney stopped investing (kinda like their parks).

Eisner wasn't 'wrong' ... except in not providing money to keep the place fresh and dynamic.

Any adult with a brain realizes you don't take your kids to a bar/nightclub, so I have no sympathy for any idiot who took little Brittany in her stroller at midnight while party-goers were drinking, playing grab a$$ with their dates (saw a lot of fanbois doing so on CM nights ... mostly male on male) or using 'adult' language.

But I sure like what Disney has done with the place ...

~Dead Zones are Magical~

CaptainMichael

Yeah, PI never belonged. A resort that covers 30,000 plus acres of land, that aims to keep people on its property for their whole vacations, should not have any adult venues.

PI was an amazing concept and it worked well. Until Disney stopped investing (kinda like their parks).

Eisner wasn't 'wrong' ... except in not providing money to keep the place fresh and dynamic.

Any adult with a brain realizes you don't take your kids to a bar/nightclub, so I have no sympathy for any idiot who took little Brittany in her stroller at midnight while party-goers were drinking, playing grab a$$ with their dates (saw a lot of fanbois doing so on CM nights ... mostly male on male) or using 'adult' language.

~Dead Zones are Magical~

I definitely missed my adult sanctuary on property when I was there last month. Without PI, there's really no escape from the family crowd...except EPCOT to some extent.

jt04

~Dead Zones are Magical~

There were executives who warned against the PI concept at Disney from day 1. They were right. It made money for awhile but it soon degenerated into a very un-Disney atmosphere. Completely predictable. Talk about a poor business model and decision. But you know Eisner always had an under current of contempt for Disney and the Disney vision as many in Hollywood do.

Roy Disney knew it as did other influential people. Roy Disney and Bob Iger both know what makes Eisner tick.

I've got my unblinking eye on SJ. :lookaroun

SirGoofy

Gotta agree. There's obviously a need for adult entertainment in WDW. Anyone who thinks differently is seriously out of touch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom