Pizza Planet removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TestTrack

Muppet humor hasn't resonated with a modern audience since Henson passed away. The stuff done under his watch is still just as funny as ever 20 years later.

The movie will determine a lot. If it is a stinker then no way they will commit more real estate to a dead franchise.

I still love it. Sure the Henson stuff was great but Muppet treasure island was great, some of the TV specials are watchable/somewhat funny. I think the movie should do rather well over Thanksgiving and I don't think muppet humor is dead. Truth be told they haven't put the $$$ behind the muppets since henson died in my opinion.

MarkTwain

Muppet humor hasn't resonated with a modern audience since Henson passed away. The stuff done under his watch is still just as funny as ever 20 years later.

The movie will determine a lot. If it is a stinker then no way they will commit more real estate to a dead franchise.

This video from 2009 has 21,782,594 views and nearly unanimous "likes" on youtube... so apparently somebody likes it :lookaroun (I know I do)

If it were up to me, I would just close down the restaurant for a gentle Muppets retheme - borrow some of the old concepts from the old Pizza Pandemonium concept - have a Swedish chef in the kitchen blowing things up, maybe a stage that Gonzo comes out on to entertain before getting distracted by his chickens, and then Fozzie takes over. Maybe even have Electric Mayhem on a side stage to create a whole revue show to entertain people while they eat.

...Okay, so maybe that wouldn't be a gentle retheme. But it would allow them to give the restaurant back over to Muppets studios, and then they can build a Pizza Planet in Pixar Place to match the one from the movie.

vinnya1726

I have to agree with all of you saying we should move Pizza Planet to Pixar Place and re-theme the current Pizza Planet to a muppets theme. I think it is more important that Disney add a few more attractions to DHS, the monsters inc coaster and possible a large crowd eating dark ride to help ease the crazyness that is TSMM.

Tigger1988

Speak for yourself.

Their Bohemian Rhapsody parody going viral proved there's still plenty of people who enjoy the Muppets.

WDWmazprty

Speak for yourself.

Their Bohemian Rhapsody parody going viral proved there's still plenty of people who enjoy the Muppets.

I agree. People still love the Muppets, especially people like me who grew up with them. Sure, its been awhile since anything 'new' has come out from them, but I think the new movie will help with that. Of course, if Disney is actually refurbing anything to have a Muppet theme, that will definitely help also.

sksowell

The pizza might not be the best, but it is addictive. If they do any rennovation I hope there are more tables, last time we were here there were people hovering around us while we ate waiting for a table.

McClane713

I'd love to see more muppets. Period. If it's a resteraunt, fine, but I'd prefer a ride. Especially after reading about the Great Muppet Movie Ride concept that got abandoned. I think that would be awesome, and if it's built as a parody of popular movies it could stand the test of time, even if the new Muppet movie doesn't perform that great.

captainkidd

Really!?!

What part of that restaurant is Muppet themed?

My wife (who is a Muppet fanatic) said it was supposed to be themed after the restaurant that Kermit and Miss Piggy went to on their date in the first Muppet Movie. I guess I can somewhat see the connection, but I don't really buy into it.

MansionGoer13z

Anybody have the feeling that this new Muppet Movie might be a flop? I do hope it does well...But I gotta agree with ChesternoHester that the Muppets have indeed stale little by little eversince Jim died. The only recent good Muppet Movie was The Muppet Christmas Carol. After that the Muppets have been on a 19 year decline.

However if the movie does succeed and brings about a Muppet Surge I hope Pizza Planet closes shop to make way for a Muppet themed ride.

On another note, I do hope this Muppet Movie gives Disney a clue to redo Muppet Vision 3D or another Muppet themed attraction.

captainkidd

Anybody have the feeling that this new Muppet Movie might be a flop? I do hope it does well...But I gotta agree with ChesternoHester that the Muppets have indeed stale little by little eversince Jim died. The only recent good Muppet Movie was The Muppet Christmas Carol. After that the Muppets have been on a 19 year decline.

However if the movie does succeed and brings about a Muppet Surge I hope Pizza Planet closes shop to make way for a Muppet themed ride.

On another note, I do hope this Muppet Movie gives Disney a clue to redo Muppet Vision 3D or another Muppet themed attraction.

Well, look at Mickey Mouse. Once a hysterical, lovable little cartoon character that both children and adults were entertained by. Now, reduced to being seen by children who watch the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse as a poorly animated character, with an IQ level that of a bag of sand. Yet people still love him at the parks.

Yodadudeman

My wife (who is a Muppet fanatic) said it was supposed to be themed after the restaurant that Kermit and Miss Piggy went to on their date in the first Muppet Movie. I guess I can somewhat see the connection, but I don't really buy into it.

I guess I can kind of see that. I don't know though... They could definately add something to make it a little more "muppet-y"...
I don't think anyone would make that connection without knowing before-hand.
Disney can do better.

captainkidd

I guess I can kind of see that. I don't know though... They could definately add something to make it a little more "muppet-y"...
I don't think anyone would make that connection without knowing before-hand.
Disney can do better.

Agreed.

It's almost like saying Sci-Fi Dine In is themed to Star Wars.

NoChesterHester

Speak for yourself.

My comment was overly general. You are completely right. The latest stuff is ha-larious and I hope that the millions of clicks on the video parody translates into a big box office for their big screen adventure this fall.

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy the Muppets. Always have. I just find their movies since Henson's passing very forgettable. I hope this new flick is the revitalization of the franchise in pop culture.

jjharvpro

Maybe it'll be moved to Pixar Place. Ever since Pixar Place opened, it's puzzled me why they don't move it to fit the theme.

RSoxNo1

Speak for yourself.

The only problem is they stopped doing that viral video stuff so they've eliminated any buzz created leading up to the movie.

As for Pizza Planet - the truck should be roaming around that park

disneyrcks

My comment was overly general. You are completely right. The latest stuff is ha-larious and I hope that the millions of clicks on the video parody translates into a big box office for their big screen adventure this fall.

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy the Muppets. Always have. I just find their movies since Henson's passing very forgettable. I hope this new flick is the revitalization of the franchise in pop culture.

I have high hopes. Jason Seagal is pretty talented when it comes to writing and he has been strongly influenced by Jim Henson. Hopefully we will not be disappointed!

cslafferty

When my kids were younger, Pizza Planet was one of their favorite places to eat - not because they thought the pizza was all that great, but just because it was "cool!" Even tho my kids are grown, I teach first grade, and as long as Sesame Street is on the air, kids know and love Kermit the frog. When my students return from a trip to WDW, they always talk about Pizza Planet and Muppet Vision 3D (most are too scared of Honey I Shrunk the Audience or It's Tough to be a Bug). I would love to see Pizza Planet refurbed to look like the movie, and a revamp of the Muppet Movie. And a Muppet themed restaurant would be great - I personally feel the food choices at DHS are severely lacking in quality for both TS and QS.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Wasn't Mama Melrose initially supposed to BE the planned Muppet restaurant (that was ultimately never built)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom