Pirates 3 Discussion Thread *Where You Can Talk About The Movie After You See It*

rbrower

Well, true. I just didn't think the malestrom was that big of a deal. I mean, either side could have died - so it's not like she was really helping or hurting... and being the "water godess" she could have just as easily sunk whomever she wanted to seek revenge on instead of letting them fight it out. :shrug:
I thought of that in a completely different way. First of all, Calypso was mad at the Pirates for trapping her in human form but then she got mad at Davy Jones when she figured out that he was the one who told the Pirate Lords how to trap her. Then, they both said that the wind was in their favor and it ended up pushing them together and to the maelstrom. I thought that she was pushing them together so that they could finish off each other because she felt betrayed by both sides.

Quick question: When Jack said that four of them had tried to kill him in the past, I knew that he was talking about Will, Barbossa, and Elizabeth. I never caught on to who the fourth person was but I think that it was Tia Dalma. How did she try to kill him?

Timmay

I liked the movie...it was niether too long nor too confusing. I just didn't love it. It didn't deliver what I wanted it to...to blow me away. The last hour was what made me at least like it...the first two were tiresome, really. I get it that pirates can't be trusted...don't shove it down my throat. Get on with what made the first one soooo GREAT. But alas, it took them too long to do so. (I did love the track from the ride after the waterfall, though)

The origianl will continue to find it's way to my DVD palyer often...this one probably won't more than once.

wbt06

i went and saw this movie in the dlp format and it was great. it was such a good picture. but anyways i walked into the movie just wanting to get the pirate movies over with becouse i loved the first one hated the second one. what made the first movie so good was the way people changed sides so you never know what would happen. the second film did not have this. the third one is more true to what the first was. it is long yes but i have never seen a movie that long fly past so quick. i was on the edge of my seat for most of the movie. i also had no idea who to trust. one minute will s good then bad ect. i dont think the end left the movie open for a 4th. we have to remember that these caracters are pirates and they will always be going on an adventure. it showed that they where going to keep doing what they fought so hard to save.

i would have never guessed the end i have to say i was very suprised.

AndyP

*sigh* This perfectly exemplifies why the pirates sequels are terrible. They're written in a manipulative manner--utilizing trite clichés to redeem lazy writing.

The screenwriters introduce the "meanest and un-killable" monster in the second movie. Then, they kill the creature OFF STAGE in the sequel. That's just bad storytelling. A good script would have had our heroes find a way to defeat the monster in a thrilling and fun fashion. Instead, we get some stupid offhand explanation that feels like just a lame copout.

Gosh, these movies frustrate me. And, their unequivocal success has me weeping for the state of movies.

When Calypso or whatever she was called became 100 feet tall, I just rolled my eyes in disbelief. It's like the writers just threw as much mythology and crap at the screen hoping some of it would stick. It's a horrendous mismatch of too many ideas and not enough good sense to streamline things.

Heck, the "hanging" sequence at the beginning--which had the POTENTIAL to be interesting--ends up as an odd prologue that has NOTHING to do with our central characters.

Even the final battle is ridiculous in some sense. Granted, this is easily the best part of the movie. But, why do we only see two friggin' ships fight one another. Last time I checked, there was an entire armada and an entire squadron of Pirate ships facing on another. I kept asking myself "where is everyone else?"

I've said it once and I'll say it again--when it comes to the Pirates sequels, it seems that critics are the only sane ones. These movies suck.

I have no problem with the fact that you dislike what I consider to be one of the best ever movie trilogies, however, I don't understand why if you disliked the first, and then the second movie, you would then see the third, just to then complain about it to a group of people who mostly thoroughly enjoyed it.

I thought the film was great, a tad confusing and I really had to think about some stuff and then explain it to my girlfriend, but the action stuff was so good that we are both compelled to go back and see it again, and I think this could really be a good thing for Disney, it's confusing, but not too confusing, so it may prompt lots of return visits!!

Nicole220

Just saw it for the 2nd time. Loved it once again! This time I stayed for the clip after the credits....I really liked it. It was a lot better than the other two clips and brought me to tears.

i just saw a similar question to this a few pages back but..I'm a little confused on the whole "Destiny" thing. Why was it when they were sailing through the uh..dead people..did Tia Dalma come up to Will and tell him again of the Destiny? At the moment, I thought she was discretely telling him to help Elizabeth with her father or something..but then at the end I figured it was meant because he was to be captain of the Flying Dutchman. so I'm just confused as to why it was said there. Maybe I'm just missing something? :shrug:

Wilt Dasney

i just saw a similar question to this a few pages back but..I'm a little confused on the whole "Destiny" thing. Why was it when they were sailing through the uh..dead people..did Tia Dalma come up to Will and tell him again of the Destiny? At the moment, I thought she was discretely telling him to help Elizabeth with her father or something..but then at the end I figured it was meant because he was to be captain of the Flying Dutchman. so I'm just confused as to why it was said there. Maybe I'm just missing something? :shrug:

Maybe she was telling him it was his destiny to do what Davy Jones had failed to? i.e., ferry the dead to their final destination?

Simba1

I loved the whole "Touch of Destiny" thing. By far my favorite lines were not by Jack but by Mr. Gibbs: "Slap me thrice and hand me to me momma." That was great! Anyway, has anyone been able to decipher what Tia Dalma/Calypso said before she exploded into the crabs? I've seen it 3 times and haven't been able to even come close to understanding it!

DisneyDefenders

Tia Dalma Speak

I loved the whole "Touch of Destiny" thing. By far my favorite lines were not by Jack but by Mr. Gibbs: "Slap me thrice and hand me to me momma." That was great! Anyway, has anyone been able to decipher what Tia Dalma/Calypso said before she exploded into the crabs? I've seen it 3 times and haven't been able to even come close to understanding it!

I think she said "Watch this movie a million times, or else!" :sohappy:

magicfan

Anyway, has anyone been able to decipher what Tia Dalma/Calypso said before she exploded into the crabs? I've seen it 3 times and haven't been able to even come close to understanding it!

I have been wondering that same thing. Perhaps we will have to buy the DVD and turn on subtitles.

sknydave

I saw the movie last night. Perhaps Pleasure Island AMC is showing a different version from what all of you saw, because it was horrible. Just...wow.. Horrible.

CaptainMichael

My favorite parts of this movie are when Jack is hallucinating...great stuff!

Also, the part where Will starts off kissing Elizabeth's leg and the camera pans up to her face...very suggestive for a Disney movie...or do I just have a dirty mind?:lookaroun

Kerby626

I loved it. I thought it jumped a few places, but it was still a great movie. My two favorite characters are Pintel and Ragetti, to me they make the movie. I also liked how they left it open for future movies even though it may not be in the cards right now. The cast and crew should be warned though. I've drank from the "Fountain of Youth" in St Augstine, it tastes like crap, maybe they should add a little rum. I'll go see it again when I get back to FL for leave.

imagineer99

To clear the air....I never said I disliked the first movie. In fact, I think it's clever and a lot of fun. The sequels, however, that's a different story altogether...;)

I just don't understand how expressing a negative viewpoint of this flick (god forbid!) is so odd to some. The movie is getting bashed by critics--and regardless of how little their viewpoint matters in the long run, I tend to think they know just a *little* bit about cinema.

Anywhoo, I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade. I know lots enjoyed this movie. BUt, I think I've backed up my opinions with substantial evidence.

makonyy15

To clear the air....I never said I disliked the first movie. In fact, I think it's clever and a lot of fun. The sequels, however, that's a different story altogether...;)

I just don't understand how expressing a negative viewpoint of this flick (god forbid!) is so odd to some. The movie is getting bashed by critics--and regardless of how little their viewpoint matters in the long run, I tend to think they know just a *little* bit about cinema.

Anywhoo, I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade. I know lots enjoyed this movie. BUt, I think I've backed up my opinions with substantial evidence.

Critics having a degree in their field is like a meteorologist having a degree in their field. Yes they know a lot about their respective field, but their predictions or opinions are based on personal analysis. Nobody can truly predict the weather or how a film will do in theaters. So critics can say all they want because of their knowledge, but all their knowledge of films just helps them form their own personal opinion.

The only difference between an average joe who doesn't like it and a critic that doesn't like it is a possible degree.

IMHO of course

TiggerBW

I just saw it last night and loved it! I hope everyone stayed past all of the credits at the end!!!!! I convinced the people I went with to stay and they thought I was crazy, but thanked me afterwards! :) Great movie! At times it dragged a little - seemed too long - but I loved it!!!!!! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom