Pirates 3 Discussion Thread *Where You Can Talk About The Movie After You See It*

I saw the movie this morning and thoroughly enjoyed myself. While my favorite is still the original, I thought AWE was better than DMC. That said, I felt like my brain had gotten a workout by the end. I think that this movie, moreso than the first two, is an exercise in subtlety. The plot can be followed, but you have to be paying attention every moment in order to keep track of what's happening. I'm definitely going to see the film again after I've had some time to absorb the major events. I think seeing it again will definitely help put all the pieces together for me.

I'd give it an A- too. :)

sillyspook13

A few thoughts....

* I was able to follow along with the plot with no problem. Yes, it was confusing, but that's the point. You're not supposed to know who's on what side.

* Sao Feng should have had a bada** battle scene.

* Will and Elizabeth made a very pretty child...:lookaroun

* The ship full of Jack Sparrows gave me heart palpatations... :lookaroun :kiss: :slurp:

diddy_mouse

Is it just me or do most people seem to be focusing only on the length of the movie? I mean....come on. If the movie was to tie up all the loose-end from the previous two films, PLUS add to the story, the feature would have to be much longer. I'm sorry but you cannot fit every single little detail into a 2 1/2 to 3 hr. time frame and still get a cohesive story.

The Kraken? It's time was spent in the second movie and that's all it needed, anything else would have seemed tacked-on. OR they would have killed it off in the beginning of this movie.

The convoluted-plot? **SPOILER ALERT**

I was under the impression that this film was to focus on getting Jack back and trying to stop the English armada (and Lord Beckett) from taking over the seas since they gained the power to do so from Davy Jones' chest. Yes, the Tia Dalma/Calypso storyline seemed a little hard to understand at first, but realizing her connection to Davy Jones put it into perspective. Granted, when she was un-bound from her human form and rose to be the 50ft. woman I was kinda like: "Ooookaaay..." Also, there was the storyline with Will evolving as a pirate. Jack actually told him: "Begin to think like me and you'll know..." This basically showed Will that there was another side to everything, forcing him to make deals and deceptions. Jack also wrestled with the idea of being immortal after killing Davy Jones. Instead he began to realize his friendship, and Will, not Jack, ended up making the ultimate sacrifice.

I'm sorry but this movie has a complex plot structure...and sometimes it takes a little complexity to tell a story.

DisKid

Obvious Unexplained Difference between DMC and AWE

Did anyone else notice how the East India Trading Co. had the heart w/ the chest at the very beginning of this film, while it was VERY clear at the end of Dead Man's Chest that the EITC only had the heart, while Davy Jones had the empty chest...

Certainly not the biggest annoying thing about AWE, but it bugged me :)

Nicole220

Did anyone else notice how the East India Trading Co. had the heart w/ the chest at the very beginning of this film, while it was VERY clear at the end of Dead Man's Chest that the EITC only had the heart, while Davy Jones had the empty chest...

Certainly not the biggest annoying thing about AWE, but it bugged me :)
I was thinking that as well. But as you said, it's not a big thing.

imagineer boy

Good point, but its likely that while Beckett had the heart, he was in control of Jones, and put the heart back into the chest.

Is it just me or do most people seem to be focusing only on the length of the movie? I mean....come on. If the movie was to tie up all the loose-end from the previous two films, PLUS add to the story, the feature would have to be much longer. I'm sorry but you cannot fit every single little detail into a 2 1/2 to 3 hr. time frame and still get a cohesive story.

The Kraken? It's time was spent in the second movie and that's all it needed, anything else would have seemed tacked-on. OR they would have killed it off in the beginning of this movie.

The convoluted-plot? **SPOILER ALERT**

I was under the impression that this film was to focus on getting Jack back and trying to stop the English armada (and Lord Beckett) from taking over the seas since they gained the power to do so from Davy Jones' chest. Yes, the Tia Dalma/Calypso storyline seemed a little hard to understand at first, but realizing her connection to Davy Jones put it into perspective. Granted, when she was un-bound from her human form and rose to be the 50ft. woman I was kinda like: "Ooookaaay..." Also, there was the storyline with Will evolving as a pirate. Jack actually told him: "Begin to think like me and you'll know..." This basically showed Will that there was another side to everything, forcing him to make deals and deceptions. Jack also wrestled with the idea of being immortal after killing Davy Jones. Instead he began to realize his friendship, and Will, not Jack, ended up making the ultimate sacrifice.

I'm sorry but this movie has a complex plot structure...and sometimes it takes a little complexity to tell a story.

Very well said!:sohappy: I think a reason why the sequals get a little bit of a bad rap is because many of the scenes may seem pointless, but they really have a whole lot more layers to them such as character development.

dizpins14

I really wanted to like this movie but I have to say most of the movie was pointless, just like the Cannibal scene in Dead Man's Chest. I thought they would have saved Jack sooner and got on with the plot, like saving Hans Solo in Return of the Jedi.

Plus there was no point at all in the Brethern Court stuff. The Brethern did nothing. Spent a lot of time arguing and released a giant woman on a boat. When I saw that all I could think of were the giant supermodel aliens from Dude Where's My Car

I felt like what the writters did was find everything that was good in the first one and try and make it better ten times over. Sometimes less is good. The same jokes get old after they are used over and over again. For instance Jack the Monkey was in the movie way too much, it took away from the really good parts he had.

makonyy15

Just saw it again and this time I stayed for the scene after the credits...happy I did!

Quick question though...

Tia Dalma in both AWE and DMC tells Will that he has a "Touch of Destiny". Now I know this is probably referring to him becoming the Captain of the Flying Dutchman, but how does she know this and why does she bring it up while trying to reach Davy Jones' locker?

Once again, I loved it!

lpet11984

Saw the movie 8pm on Thursday (THANK YOU DISNEY for offering the early show so us teachers who have to work can go see it!) and absolutely loved it. My reasoning?

*Complicated? Sure, but so is life. Tough. :p :wave: I thought the level of complexity was almost an aesthetic unto itself- it kept you thinking. (Heaven forbid, I actually like to *think* while I'm being entertained, although, I am a teacher....) I LOVED how much Will and Elizabeth had grown from the star-struck lovers in the first movie to the integrated, passionate-about-things-other-than-each-other characters that they were portrayed to be in AWE. Through the three movies, you get to see how they both come full circle and discover what love really is, and is not. (some sappy "love at first sight" predictable subplot) I think there has to come a certain level of creativity when dealing in complexity, that having a simple A to B plotline simply cannot accommodate to. They took a lot of creative liberties (the Up is Down scene was *supreme*!!) and were able to show character growth at the same time. (The scene where Beckett realizes he is defeated "That's good business..." and the boat being destroyed around him in slow motion- so artistic!) Bravo!!

*About the Multiple Jack scene: The scenes down in the locker I though were extremely well done: what an appropriate way to portray insanity, in an almost purely white area with multiple characters running around. A simple yet eerily beautiful way to get the idea across that Jack both going crazy and in his own personal ****. Sterile surroundings for the insanity on the inside...Strange sure, but I can dig it. I thought the "two Jacks"- one on each shoulder like the "angel/devil"- was awfully cliche though. Ah well.

*The musical score is unbelievable (OK, so I'm a music teacher :lookaroun: ...). Zimmer really outdoes himself with this one. In fact, I've listened to the score quite a few times now after having seen the movie, and felt like I was re-living the action right in my car; the score is written that closely to the action and the themes are so well developed that they are instantly recognizable in the representation of their respective characters. Zimmer really utilizes his talent for arranging themes so the score weaves in and out character's themes as quickly as the camera changes on the screen. The orchestration/colors/timbres change to reflect the mood (listen to how many times and in how many different ways the "Hoist the Colors" theme is utilized...one of my favorites is in the "I Don't Think Now is the Best Time" track -- the ultimate battle scene, if you wanted to know the part of the movie--the trumpets start it, but the theme is slightly altered at the end of the phrase, augmented to reflect the tension of the battle....THAT'S attention to detail!!!! :sohappy: )

*I guess I was one of the few people that thought the ending was extremely appropriate...it reflected the humanity and hardship that everyone had gone through to reach that point. I thought it was poetic- almost mythological/Shakespearian in flavor. Sure, part of me was rooting for a "happily ever after", but for the most part I thought it was fitting. Gave me chills to see Will arise as the new captain of the Dutchman...haven't been a huge fan of Will up to now, but he really grew on me in this one ;)

*Did anyone else find it ironic how AWE essentially left Jack, Gibbs, and Barbossa at essentially the same place as when the first movie started? I guess you might say they finally came full circle...I thought that was pretty cool too.

Of course, all points are IMHO. I'm not trying to convince anyone that they *should* like the movie, but I loved it. :sohappy: :D

makonyy15

I also loved how the characters came full circle. It was great seeing Jack in a dingy like he was in the first movie, brought back memories! Very good points about the ending as well. Happily ever after would've been the typical Disney ending, that's why I think this one was a little more unexpected. It was extremely well done!

imagineer boy

BTW, was anyone else happy to see Murtogg and Mullroy, the two bumbling british guards from the first movie again? They were hilarious. :lol:

makonyy15

Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!

Quote from Wikipedia...which includes implications given by the writers

After the credits, in a scene captioned "Ten Years Later," a young boy nine years and three months of age is seen singing "A Pirates Life for Me" as Elizabeth walks behind him. It is implied that this is the child of Will and Elizabeth. The sun sets followed by a green flash and Will, on the mast of The Dutchman, sails towards the shore. According to the film's writers, the curse of The Dutchman is broken if, after the ten years, the captain's lover remains faithful. The final post-credit scene suggests that Will can now return to land, as Elizabeth has remained faithful. The green flash, which symbolises a soul returning from the dead, supports this theory. Apparently, a scene of dialogue between Tia Dalma/Calypso and Davy Jones, which explained this, was cut from the film, leading to confusion about the ending.

This explains the scene after the credits a little better, which makes sense since Davy Jones had to remain Captain of the Dutchman after 10 years of service since Tia Dalma betrayed him.

imagineer99

Yes, the critics didn't like it, but currently the viewers give it an 80% Fresh, word of mouth from viewers is what generates ticket revenue IMO of course :wave:

Yeah, well people liked NORBIT and Wild Hogs too. Let's just say that America ain't exactly the best judge of quality.

Oh, and I have no doubt that this movie will make Disney a ton of money. In fact, I would be surprised if didn't break a heap of records.

lpet11984

This explains the scene after the credits a little better, which makes sense since Davy Jones had to remain Captain of the Dutchman after 10 years of service since Tia Dalma betrayed him.

Huh...even more "happily ever after" than I thought then.

Thanks for the explanation-- that clears things up quite a bit. I wonder what the deleted scene looked like...maybe it was extra dialog from the part where she was behind bars?

Testtrack321

Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!

Quote from Wikipedia...which includes implications given by the writers

You know what is more surprising?

THEY ACTUALLY CUT SOMETHING FROM THIS MOVIE! :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom