Pirates 3 Discussion Thread *Where You Can Talk About The Movie After You See It*

JeffH

some answers and some questions

Instead he began to realize his friendship, and Will, not Jack, ended up making the ultimate sacrifice.
Just saw it my 2nd time and at the end, Jack wanted to kill Jones (stab his heart), but when Jones kills Will, Jack realizes the only way to save Will is for Will to stab the heart so he puts his knife in Will's hand and stabs the heart with Will's hand...so Jack makes the ultimate sacrifice, sacrificing his opportunity at immortality to save his friend. Now I don't quite understand why Jones stabbed Will, unless he just didn't like the idea of Jack being the one to stab his heart and knew Jack would let Will do the stabbing (but then why was he surprised when it happened?)

Also in another thread a poster stated that it was too unbelievable when Tia Dalma/Calypso's ropes 'grew' when she grew. I watched closely the 2nd time to this and the ropes did NOT grow, they broke and were stretched and pulled as she grew.

Now I don't get why they could save Jack from death, couldn't save Liz's father, and why they didn't make it more clear how Tia Dalma/Calypso brought Barbarosa back from the dead?

So will PotC4 take up with Jack going after the Black Pearl again (without Liz and Will this time), or 10 years later with Will and Liz back and ready for action (with a 10yo in tow).

imagineer99

If anybody was confused by the pirate's plot, check out the brief and clear synopsis I found on the web...

We're going to strike an accord with you, but little do you know I'm going to betray you, we're rescuing Jack, I'm rescuing my father, marrying Elizabeth, killing Davey Jones, becoming the new Davey Jones, the Jamaicaan chick has a horrid case of crabs, Johnny Depp has delusions of himself, 9 pieces of 8, you're captain, she's captin, he's captain, there's 9 captains, but she's the captain king, i vote charge, you vote stay back, we're in the underworld, now we're out, davey loves jamaicaan goddess chick, she betrayed Davey Jones, Elizabeths father dies, Norrington dies, Sparrow was dead, now is alive, Barbossa was dead, now is alive, Will Turner was dead, now is alive...sort of...on and on and on and round and round it goes.

Wow, that about sums it up.

sknydave

I may as well post a few problems I had with the movie..

1) Jack Sparrow somehow became Spider-man in between dying and returning to life.

2) The Elizabeth Swann braveheart speech.

3) So Davey Jones' girlfriend was a 50 foot woman? ooo....k....

4) The parachute. Jack cuts a rope and is able to turn a sail into a parachute and fly from the top of a ship all the way over to another ship. A PARACHUTE.

5) The Black Pearl and Flying Dutchman are able to destroy Beckett's ship. After seeing this, about a thousand ships decide they don't want to fight anymore and retreat lol

There was more but those are the main things that popped into my head.

*The musical score is unbelievable (OK, so I'm a music teacher :lookaroun: ...). Zimmer really outdoes himself with this one. In fact, I've listened to the score quite a few times now after having seen the movie, and felt like I was re-living the action right in my car; the score is written that closely to the action and the themes are so well developed that they are instantly recognizable in the representation of their respective characters. Zimmer really utilizes his talent for arranging themes so the score weaves in and out character's themes as quickly as the camera changes on the screen. The orchestration/colors/timbres change to reflect the mood (listen to how many times and in how many different ways the "Hoist the Colors" theme is utilized...one of my favorites is in the "I Don't Think Now is the Best Time" track -- the ultimate battle scene, if you wanted to know the part of the movie--the trumpets start it, but the theme is slightly altered at the end of the phrase, augmented to reflect the tension of the battle....THAT'S attention to detail!!!! :sohappy: )

I love the music for all the films as well. If anyone is into dance/gymnastics..that sort of thing, check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6DpdNzuNkA

Its from a national dance competition back in 2004. It's music from the Black Pearl and I believe the age range of these dancers is 13-14. Pretty talented if you ask me, and very cool music!

Turcicus

The feelings/opinions about this movie are the same as DMC - ya either love it or ya hate it. I haven't heard from any friends who just thought it was OK. I myself loved both DMC and this one, so I'm a happy camper! But everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so I have no qualms with the people who didn't like it.

And my favorite part is shared by many of you here - the black screen w/ audio from the ride!!!

imagineer boy

1) Jack Sparrow somehow became Spider-man in between dying and returning to life.

Could you be more specific? Because I don't really recall Jack Sparrow doing any inhuman stunts.

2) The Elizabeth Swann braveheart speech.

I thought it was good.:shrug:

3) So Davey Jones' girlfriend was a 50 foot woman? ooo....k....

Who said she was 50 feet tall when they fell in love?

4) The parachute. Jack cuts a rope and is able to turn a sail into a parachute and fly from the top of a ship all the way over to another ship. A PARACHUTE.

They don't sail to another ship, they land in the ocean. Jack just used it to get out of the whirl pool. It is a little implausable, sure, but I think it worked.

5) The Black Pearl and Flying Dutchman are able to destroy Beckett's ship. After seeing this, about a thousand ships decide they don't want to fight anymore and retreat lol

Well, Beckett's ship was the ship in command, so when the ship in comand is destroyed, what else can you do?

DisneyDefenders

What do critics know!?!

The movie is getting bashed by critics--and regardless of how little their viewpoint matters in the long run, I tend to think they know just a *little* bit about cinema.

A little bit is about all most of them seem to know. Lots of these big named critics that are around today, also were criticizing great movies back in the day and bashed movies like ET, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure :lookaroun So that just goes to show...what do critics know!?!

DisneyDefenders

When they collide...

Critics having a degree in their field is like a meteorologist having a degree in their field. Yes they know a lot about their respective field, but their predictions or opinions are based on personal analysis. Nobody can truly predict the weather or how a film will do in theaters. So critics can say all they want because of their knowledge, but all their knowledge of films just helps them form their own personal opinion.

The only difference between an average joe who doesn't like it and a critic that doesn't like it is a possible degree.

IMHO of course

And when you get alarmist meteorologists (who can't predict tomorrow's weather accurately) together with alarmist movie buffs (who can't predict the box office acurately)...you get GLOBAL WARMING theories and a masterpiece like "The Day After Tomorrow" :ROFLOL:

DisneyDefenders

Game, Set, Match

Could you be more specific? Because I don't really recall Jack Sparrow doing any inhuman stunts.

DON'T YOU REMEMBER WHEN HIS RUM SENSE STARTED TINGLING AND HE SHOT DREAD LOCKS OUT OF HIS HANDS TO SWING FROM SHIP TO SHIP? :lookaroun

They don't sail to another ship, they land in the ocean. Jack just used it to get out of the whirl pool. It is a little implausable, sure, but I think it worked.

I LOVE HOW THE GUY WHO YOU'RE RESPONDING TO GETS ALL WORKED UP OVER A SAIL (WHICH CATCHES WIND) IS USED AS A PARACHUTE (BY CATCHING WIND), YET A GUY WITH A SQUID FOR A FACE IS OK. :p

Well, Beckett's ship was the ship in command, so when the ship in comand is destroyed, what else can you do?

WHEN YOU PLAY BATTLESHIP, YOU CAN HAVE AN ENTIRE FLEET LEFT, BUT IF YOUR BATTLESHIP IS SUNK...IT'S GAME, SET, MATCH! :king:

DisneyDefenders

Those crazy villains!

Now I don't quite understand why Jones stabbed Will, unless he just didn't like the idea of Jack being the one to stab his heart and knew Jack would let Will do the stabbing (but then why was he surprised when it happened?)

How out of character for a villain to stab someone! :eek:

MichelleBelle

I actually watched Dead Man's Chest last night after having seen At World's End this weekend and a LOT more stuff made sense.

Mostly the whole compass thing... in DMC Elizabeth's heart wanted the life of a pirate and the whole thing that Tia Dalma says to Jack about "knowing what he wants but is loathe to claim it as his own" - to me, clearly refers to Davy Jones' heart. Because in At World's End, Jack debates stabbing the heart because he's not sure about living forever. It doesn't make sense to me now that the compass would be hinting at something with Jack and Elizabeth. The compass was just used to foreshadow things to come.

My ONLY problem with the movie was that Bootstrap killed Norrington. The writers seemed to pick and choose when Bootstrap was good and bad, and it just seemed to random for him to all of a sudden flip out and kill Norrington. Norrington could have escaped - everyone knows he's a great swordsman, but he barely argued the fact that he was about to die.

I think the 50 foot woman thing was Ok since it was only very brief - but it was uneeded. She could have just turned into crabs from her normal size.

was it supposed to be ironic that Elizabeth is seen in the beginning singing a pirate song, and then a man tells her not to, and in the first movie as a little girl is singing "yo ho yo ho" and Gibbs tells her not to? Maybe I'm stretching it a little but I thought that was ironic.

Timmay

You are somewhat correct. Actually...it is just a recurring theme...no irony involved. The series has several recurring themes.

Turcicus

was it supposed to be ironic that Elizabeth is seen in the beginning singing a pirate song, and then a man tells her not to, and in the first movie as a little girl is singing "yo ho yo ho" and Gibbs tells her not to? Maybe I'm stretching it a little but I thought that was ironic.

Nice catch! I don't think I ever would have put that together.

MnWildFan06

"due to my being a pathetic POTC fanatic with too much time on her hands, I have found out that actually, one of the cut scenes for the movie explains that Will only serves that first 10 years, and if the one he loves (Elizabeth) is true to him that whole amount of time, and is waiting for him upon his return, he is freed of the curse!

Here is the citation:

http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/forumemo.html?read=98721 quotes Terry Rossio, one of the films screenwriters with the following interview:

"Rossio: "Lots of interesting and thought-provoking points. Fun to read.

But to clarify one point: Davy Jones, as Captain of the Flying Dutchman, is cursed to set foot on land only once every ten years ... unless he finds a love that is true to him. Hopefully that rule will be made more clear in the third film.

If the person Jones had been in love with had been true, and waited for him, and stayed in love with him for ten years, upon his return to land his curse would have been lifted. That's a big part of the reason why Jones is so bitter and cruel. He had a chance to lead a normal life ... but his lover was fickle."

rbrower

My favorite parts of this movie are when Jack is hallucinating...great stuff!

Also, the part where Will starts off kissing Elizabeth's leg and the camera pans up to her face...very suggestive for a Disney movie...or do I just have a dirty mind?:lookaroun
I would say a little bit of both, but more so the latter of the two!
:D :lookaroun :D
How out of character for a villain to stab someone! :eek:

:eek: :eek: That is so weird!:lookaroun :D

nibblesandbits

Buried20KLeague said:
Also, while I appreciated the attempt to put the ride reference in, I thought the audio straight from the ride was out of place and not applicable what so ever. I completely didn't understand why it was there. In fact, at the world premier, my wife and I actually thought that maybe it was something they threw in there JUST for the premier because the attraction was literally 50 feet behind us, and it wouldn't be in the regular release of the film. It made no sense. And probably 75% of the people that see it will have no idea what it's doing there either.

Ooh!!! I can answer this! (I just hope no one else did already. :lol: )

The reason for the ride reference is that that part was supposed to be straight from the ride. The part where they go over the waterfall came straight from the the "waterfall" your boat goes over on the POTC ride. So that is why the audio from the ride is there. (It's also where the title of the movie came from)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom