Photoshop Pages

mouselvrmom

those are awesome pages commemorating a great event! How wonderful that you got to win twice! :sohappy:

Send some pixie dust our way so that we can win in October. :lol:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We won on a Wednesday and afterwards a cast member was telling us that Wednesday is the least busy day of the week at MK, so you have the best odds. He was also saying that most of the DFP's etc. are given out during the morning hours and in locations where the Dream Squad can't be mobbed. Which makes sense, we got both of ours at the end of rides, before we got out of the exit queus.

Good Luck!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
The following two pages are from the Ohana breakfast (pre and post Stitch).

This is one of the first pages I designed:

ohana_breakfast_copy.jpg

And I just finished this one (the background is actually a picture taken at the Polynesian):

ohana_lilo_stitch_breakfast_copy.jpg

As you can see with my more recent pages, I'm starting to take into account the "gutter" area for the binding when printed. I'm going to have to go back and adjust most of my early work.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Thank you. I was really happy with the flower as well. I tried about 4 different ones (from google images) and this one just looked the best. It is actually the same image, used multiple times and rotated and resized to look a little different.

Notice they match the ones the characters are wearing. When searching for the image I found out that the plumeria is known as the "lei" flower. Disney doesn't miss a beat, even the characters lei's are as authentic as possible.

WDWFigment

It looks like I'm a bit late (and behind--dang, you've been busy), but why can't you just spread the "cards" page out to two pages? You definitely have enough cards for two pages if you retain the lyrics. That way, the cards can be bigger so you can see the pictures better.

Making it two pages may also be more of a "reward" for spending all that time making the cards (which look great, by the way).

HollyBelle

Original Poster
It would probably look better if I spread it out over two pages (and you're right, you would definitely be able to see the pictures better which is something that was of concern to me) but I'm trying to keep the two page spreads to parties, events, or other things of that nature.

I've already finished pages for other groups of movie characters (the incredibles, peter pan, robin hood, etc.) and none of them span two pages. I guess it's just the OCD part of me that wants to keep that consistency!

KnK

It would probably look better if I spread it out over two pages (and you're right, you would definitely be able to see the pictures better which is something that was of concern to me) but I'm trying to keep the two page spreads to parties, events, or other things of that nature.

I've already finished pages for other groups of movie characters (the incredibles, peter pan, robin hood, etc.) and none of them span two pages. I guess it's just the OCD part of me that wants to keep that consistency!

Not OCD.....when you open the book you want to see both pages at the same time. Makes the book work better!

WDWFigment

Makes perfect sense, then! I definitely like the final version of the page, anyway. About how long does it take you to make each layout?

Not OCD.....when you open the book you want to see both pages at the same time. Makes the book work better!

When you open the book, you can see both pages at once. So long as the total of the one-page movie layouts is an even number (or they occur after the two page layouts in the book), all of the two page layouts can be grouped together.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
The time it takes to make each page really depends. If I have decided on a background before I get started it definitely goes more quickly. I've found that, for me, the background can "make or break" the page. Sometimes I'll find two or three and put them on the page and once I've finished with the photos etc. I'll see how it looks with each one before deciding. If I'm still not satisfied I'll keep searching.

I guess they probably take me 30 minutes to an hour when I have it all together. When I have to clean up an image it can be much longer. And sometimes I can't find just the right placement so I end up moving the images around for an hour or so just trying to get the look right, but I eventually get there. I often get sidetracked so I don't really have a clue how long some take.

And the Alice page... well it took forever because I couldn't find a single image of a card I was satisfied with so I had to completely create it myself. I started by finding the four symbols and created clipping masks with my images, then I had to create the card background. After that I had to copy the symbols, make them miniature, invert them, and so on. I also added the text for the numbers/jack/etc. Then I started playing with the placement. I probably worked on this one on and off for 4-5 hours.

So yeah, that is probably much more information then you wanted... but there it is :snore:.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
On this one, just cleaning up the name (and palms) took about 2 hours because I was making it so big you could see every little mistake (and still can a little bit).

Olivia's @ OKW:

olivias_cafe_copy.jpg

And another in my character series, Chip and Dale Part I:

chip_and_dale_part1_copy.jpg

mouselvrmom

Chip and Dale are so much fun! Where did you see the ones in the green outfits? I've never seen them dressed like that before.

I LOVE the Olivia's page. The title and trees look really great!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We found "space" Chip and Dale in Tomorrowland. That picture is from spring 2005. Since then we have seen them dressed like that only one other time and I believe that was at the Halloween Party somewhere near Cosmic Rays.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Some more pages...

Coral Reef (the fish, turtle, etc. were cut out of the inside of the fish guide):

coral_reef_copy.jpg

Goofy Part I:

goofy_part1_copy.jpg

All Star Sports:

all_star_sports_resort_copy.jpg

I would really love some suggestions on how to improve this one. Something just isn't working for me, I don't know if it's the placement of the pictures or if maybe something is missing... any ideas?

mouselvrmom

Love, love the coral reef page! Goofy is always a pleaser too. I actually really like your all star page. I love the background. I thought about how you might change it around. What if you took the pics that are in the top left part of the page and moved them to the bottom where the sports pic is. Then you could move the sports pic to the top corner and along the side of it you could have lettering that says- all star. That would serve as your title and would draw attention to the page. Just a thought.

Disneyfalcon

Those look great. I really like your backgrounds too Hollybelle.

I think the All Star page looks great. The picture in the middle is a great focal point.

KnK

Did you scan the menu in, then cut around the fish? Or did you take a picture then cut around the fish?

Loved the look of the page.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom