Out of control WDW ticket prices

slappy magoo

As I'm reading the post, and I see it meander and go off-topic as so many threads do, one thing that strikes me is how many people seem to think the OP was saying "wahhhhh, WDW is too expensive now."

Maybe I'm illiterate, but I don't read it that way.

The OP was offering a theory that when the increase in ticket prices matched the increase in CPI, WDW experienced decent profits and its most creative expansion. When it spiraled away from CPI, most of the "improvements" in WDW had less to do with new parks and new attractions and more to do with places to spend money - new resorts, DVC, expansion of (at least plans to expand) DtD. Meanwhile the perception of "value," which doesn't necessarily mean "is it cheap?" of WDW has diminished. There are plenty of threads here with people griping that WDW is less "magical" than it was 5 or 10 or 20 years ago, messier, less polite cast members, attractions or resorts looking shoddy and in need of refurbs long before they get them (and don't even get started on the Yeti). Are the two things a coincidence or did one beget the other? Does the drastic increase in price compared to CPI indicate anything beyond corporate greed?

You can argue the OP has a point or not. But the OP's point, as far as I can say, goes beyond "WDW is too expensive nowadays."

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'll second the Gaylord Palms. When down there during Christmas we spent a night there so we could partake in ICE. I was quite happy with it and would recommend to all.

I'll second as well, It also has wonderful restaurants with pricing commensurate with quality.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
As I'm reading the post, and I see it meander and go off-topic as so many threads do, one thing that strikes me is how many people seem to think the OP was saying "wahhhhh, WDW is too expensive now."

Maybe I'm illiterate, but I don't read it that way.

The OP was offering a theory that when the increase in ticket prices matched the increase in CPI, WDW experienced decent profits and its most creative expansion. When it spiraled away from CPI, most of the "improvements" in WDW had less to do with new parks and new attractions and more to do with places to spend money - new resorts, DVC, expansion of (at least plans to expand) DtD. Meanwhile the perception of "value," which doesn't necessarily mean "is it cheap?" of WDW has diminished. There are plenty of threads here with people griping that WDW is less "magical" than it was 5 or 10 or 20 years ago, messier, less polite cast members, attractions or resorts looking shoddy and in need of refurbs long before they get them (and don't even get started on the Yeti). Are the two things a coincidence or did one beget the other? Does the drastic increase in price compared to CPI indicate anything beyond corporate greed?

You can argue the OP has a point or not. But the OP's point, as far as I can say, goes beyond "WDW is too expensive nowadays."

Disney's problem is the VALUE proposition, The value relative to the price is no longer there, Disney has ALWAYS been expensive even back in the 'golden years' BUT back then you received an experience like nowhere else. This is no longer the case, Disney's current service model seems to be from the DMV

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well of course it is!..

My point is that the days of lower Uni ticket prices are numbered, your going to see increases and maybe big ones, soon.

AKK

Price increases are not necessarily a bad thing, IF you are receiving additional value for the increase in price the problem for Disney fans is that Disney is simultaneously increasing price and decreasing value which works for the 'Street but I think is starting to damage the brand overall and will eventually hurt them on the 'Street as well.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Never made any comment about whether they are overpaid or not. Regardless of that, the amount simply doesn't make any argument regarding ticket prices. The compensation simply is too trivial against $43 billion to matter.

As for whether it's an appropriate level, that really would fit in its own thread about how the Disney company determines it's compensation levels.

How far would that 60 million go towards capital improvements, It would certainly build a C-ticket or two, CEO of Toyota Motors was paid 1.2 Million in TOTAL compensation - their revenues were 220 billion. and their profit increased by about 20% not the paltry 6 percent TWDC's did.

But Toyota invests in the BUSINESS not the EXECUTIVES who are employees after all not demigods as they are considered in the US.

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
Price increases are not necessarily a bad thing, IF you are receiving additional value for the increase in price the problem for Disney fans is that Disney is simultaneously increasing price and decreasing value which works for the 'Street but I think is starting to damage the brand overall and will eventually hurt them on the 'Street as well.
Many other Disney Parks & Resorts properties still maintain Disney's famous standards. At this time, WDW is the forgotten child. This is the result of leadership in Orlando primarily focused on year-to-year profit optimization along with a corporate leadership that has no vision for WDW's future.

Universal is raising prices in lockstep with WDW yet comparatively few complain because it's glaringly obvious that a lot of the money is being poured back into the parks. It's obvious that Universal is going places.

Universal is building like the WDW of old while simultaneously improving quality.

Universal is adding customer value to their theme parks.

Disney's leadership has been extracting value from their Orlando theme parks for nearly 2 decades and it's showing.

Universal is heading in the right direction; WDW is heading in the wrong direction.

WDW needs visionary leadership. They're never going to get it as long as Iger's running the company.

Tonka's Skipper

I don't disagree that raising price is always a bad thing. I do disagree that Disney value is going down. They have slipped on some things, but not to the point the magic is fading. Some Uni fans don't understand that there is so much more in WDW then just the next thrill ride or coaster. Those things are only 1 part.

Uni is going to be raising prices as the market will bare, just as Disney and any other company will. Many people go to Uni because its cheaper and make a big issue of compared it to WDW. These are the folks that are in for a surprise.

I do think Iger has woken up(At least I hope so) and now understands Disney is not a typical company that lives on its bottom line each quarter, Disney lives or dies on its brand. They lose that and they lose everything.

AKK

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't disagree that raising price is always a bad thing. I do disagree that Disney value is going down. They have slipped on some things, but not to the point the magic is fading. Some Uni fans don't understand that there is so much more in WDW then just the next thrill ride or coaster. Those things are only 1 part.

Uni is going to be raising prices as the market will bare, just as Disney and any other company will. Many people go to Uni because its cheaper and make a big issue of compared it to WDW. These are the folks that are in for a surprise.

I do think Iger has woken up(At least I hope so) and now understands Disney is not a typical company that lives on its bottom line each quarter, Disney lives or dies on its brand. They lose that and they lose everything.

AKK

I wholeheartedly disagree with you I'm a long time DVC member and the maintenance and amenities at the resorts have been on a long term downward trend, Last time in BLT there were rust stains in the shower, and at SSR there was mold on the carpet these were both in 2013, I travel for business and am Hilton DIamond so I've seen more than a few hotels. The quality seen at Disney hotels recently is something you expect at a run down Motel 6 not at Disney's premier resorts.

I could go on about the chipped paint, mold and spiderwebs at the parks, But I was there during the 80's and 90's and NONE of these problems existed then. The magic at WDW is a guttering candle waiting for the next breeze to blow it out.

Tonka's Skipper

Well m
I wholeheartedly disagree with you I'm a long time DVC member and the maintenance and amenities at the resorts have been on a long term downward trend, Last time in BLT there were rust stains in the shower, and at SSR there was mold on the carpet these were both in 2013, I travel for business and am Hilton DIamond so I've seen more than a few hotels. The quality seen at Disney hotels recently is something you expect at a run down Motel 6 not at Disney's premier resorts.

I could go on about the chipped paint, mold and spiderwebs at the parks, But I was there during the 80's and 90's and NONE of these problems existed then. The magic at WDW is a guttering candle waiting for the next breeze to blow it out.

Well my friend, we will have to continue to disagree, We joined DVC in 1994 OKW and have not experienced your finding, but I have to admit we have only been to the BLT once, 1 night before a cruise . Our SSR stay 2 years ago and last trip was Nov 2012 and the AK was in excellent condition.

I was talking more about the overall WDW experience, and big e tickets and the many, many smaller things that make Disney so special, and the original topic on pricing and the changes that seem to be coming.

AKK

3WaltFans

Many other Disney Parks & Resorts properties still maintain Disney's famous standards. At this time, WDW is the forgotten child. This is the result of leadership in Orlando primarily focused on year-to-year profit optimization along with a corporate leadership that has no vision for WDW's future.

Universal is raising prices in lockstep with WDW yet comparatively few complain because it's glaringly obvious that a lot of the money is being poured back into the parks. It's obvious that Universal is going places.

Universal is building like the WDW of old while simultaneously improving quality.

Universal is adding customer value to their theme parks.

Disney's leadership has been extracting value from their Orlando theme parks for nearly 2 decades and it's showing.

Universal is heading in the right direction; WDW is heading in the wrong direction.

WDW needs visionary leadership. They're never going to get it as long as Iger's running the company.
1_cheech-and-chong.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well m

Well my friend, we will have to continue to disagree, We joined DVC in 1994 OKW and have not experienced your finding, but I have to admit we have only been to the BLT once, 1 night before a cruise . Our SSR stay 2 years ago and last trip was Nov 2012 and the AK was in excellent condition.

I was talking more about the overall WDW experience, and big e tickets and the many, many smaller things that make Disney so special, and the original topic on pricing and the changes that seem to be coming.

AKK

I think if you visited the world NOW you would be greatly disappointed with how many of the small details have gone by the wayside since 2012 - Because it IS the small details which make up the Disney Difference.

I'm an engineer and a photographer so I notice small details. But even DW who is an avid pixie duster says the place just does not 'feel' the same as it did in years past.

BuddyThomas

Disney offers the Happy Birthday button, the Anniversary button, and an array of other celebratory buttons. I heard a rumor that they will be unveiling a new themed button. It will read, "I finally saved up enough for this trip and all I got were these FP- reservations".
I think it should say "I finally saved up enough for this trip and all I got was this stupid button."

Disneyhead'71

AKK
Again with the 'Unitards don't "get" WDW because it is more than thrill rides and roller coasters'? Really? As someone that has been to WDW 100s of times since my first visit in 1971, I can assure you, I "get" it. And these days I choose to give my hard earned cash to Universal. You literally have to pay me to get me to go to WDW.

Oh, and Universal is more than thrill rides and roller coasters.

BuddyThomas

Again with the 'Unitards don't "get" WDW because it is more than thrill rides and roller coasters'? Really? As someone that has been to WDW 100s of times since my first visit in 1971, I can assure you, I "get" it. And these days I choose to give my hard earned cash to Universal. You literally have to pay me to get me to go to WDW.

Oh, and Universal is more than thrill rides and roller coasters.
You sound like me. I'm here in NY and I kept saying last week that they would have to pay me to go to Times Square when they had that Super Bowl Boulevard thing installed, due to the insane crowds. Unfortunately, no one offered to pay me to go. So, with the same rationale, I'm guessing no one will offer to pay you to go to WDW.
:(

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You sound like me. I'm here in NY and I kept saying last week that they would have to pay me to go to Times Square when they had that Super Bowl Boulevard thing installed, due to the insane crowds. Unfortunately, no one offered to pay me to go. So, with the same rationale, I'm guessing no one will offer to pay you to go to WDW.
:(

And that will be a bad thing why?

jlsHouston

I'm still rushing towards the magic of WDW and pouring the price of a new vehicle into these trips we have made annually for the past 3 years. Overall the resorts and dining and parks and family time on property give me a lot of joy and happiness. And there is still so much I haven't seen and done at the resorts and parks so each trip has held new experiences for me too.
Having qualified my personal love affair I have with a WDW vacation, I am somewhat dismayed at the cleanliness and maintenance issues I personally have witnessed at the parks the past year. With the MB and FP+ rollout last quarter of 2013 I was just blown away at how poorly the CM's of the resorts and parks were informed and trained about this technology. Most IT problems they could not solve. Most questions they could not answer. Numerous times I witnessed other guests reaching out for assistance with their tickets and FP+ selections and while the CM's never once lost patience or were dismissive, these guests were vocalizing their unhappiness with the solutions or alternatives they were being offered and it appeared the CM's were powerless to do anything to make that guest happy.
That isn't the perception Disney instilled in me after my first visit in 2011. I left the world at that time thinking there was no happier place, no place more "well-oiled" operationally speaking and no place where huge numbers of people were being pleased all the time. I was convinced Disney really had conquered the adage "you can't please all the people all the time".
I think this thread does make one have to stop and think about the connection in rising prices at WDW and the cost of a vacation at WDW versus what WDW offers today compared to yesterday for those dollars spent. I think the scales are imbalanced these days. As @ParentsOf4 has pointed out, the loyal customers of WDW have provided all this profit over the years and the current management and leadership chooses to put as little as possible back into REAL improvements of the infrastructure for guest value and enjoyment.
That's sad.:(

Tonka's Skipper

I think if you visited the world NOW you would be greatly disappointed with how many of the small details have gone by the wayside since 2012 - Because it IS the small details which make up the Disney Difference.

I'm an engineer and a photographer so I notice small details. But even DW who is an avid pixie duster says the place just does not 'feel' the same as it did in years past.

Again I disagree, I am a Marine surveyor/ accident investigator and my job requires attention to detail as well.

However here is the latest Disney hotel/resort awards.......8 of them

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...hotels-awards/

However we can agree to disagree.............AKK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom