Out of control WDW ticket prices

Animaniac93-98

Everything Disney owned in WDW price wise is "out of control". Rack rates for Pop Century start at $95/night. It's $99/night at the DTD Hilton and Hilton Orlando.

When Disney "values" start charging Hilton prices it's time to abandon ship and rethink how you visit the Orlando area. It has for me.

And for another comparison, the Waldorf Orlando (bordered by Disney property on nearly all sides) starts at $279. That's less than a parking lot view at Wilderness Lodge.

luv

Ya, screw all those foreigners who can't speak English,

especially those Brits and Canadians!
Jeepers. That's not very nice.

I feel obliged to say real fast that I don't agree with this, in case anyone thinks your post and mine are in any way connected.

For better or worse, I'm a very "multicultural" fan kind of person and like foreigners as much as Americans. :)

Any and all comments against Animaniac's post should be directed to Animaniac. :)

Animaniac93-98

Jeepers. That's not very nice.

It was a joke. Both the UK and Canada have English as an "official laguage", but its residents are considered "foreigners" when travelling in the US. The point was to show how silly it is to suggest (carelessly, through generalization) any non-US WDW visitor will not know English well. :)

luv

It was a joke. Both the UK and Canada have English as an "official laguage", but its residents are considered "foreigners" when travelling in the US. The point was to show how silly it is to suggest (carelessly, through generalization) any non-US WDW visitor will not know English well. :)
I know. :)

I just don't want to get yelled at. :) You posted right after me. I've been chastised before for ther people's posts, lol.

I just put in Die Hard en español. No problem with other languages here! All yelling a should be directed to Animaniac!

Breaking Bad was a good show. :)

psukardi

Beth, leave the Disney property. I know you love the bubble, but it'll be okay.

Gaylord Palms, while not the nicest hotel in Orlando, is nicer than anything Disney has. And it's like 90 seconds from the Disney property, on a road that almost never has any traffic issues (Osceola Parkway, which runs all the way through Disney to the AKL.)

You could also get a nice suite, with separate bedrooms (and bathrooms) for you and the boys, as well as a full kitchen, living room, dining area, private balcony (or patio) and a washer/dryer (you don't have to use it, but they come n handy sometimes)...within minutes of Disney. It'll be nicer, much more stress-free and cost less than a Disney mod.

The bubble is great! But it's so much better offsite. And it's cheaper.

Just advice, not criticism. :)

I'll second the Gaylord Palms. When down there during Christmas we spent a night there so we could partake in ICE. I was quite happy with it and would recommend to all.

thomas998

I'm still scratching my head on what exactly would make a park ticket worth $500 or even $750 a day with very little changes to the current infrastructure. I could see paying $150 for a day pass within 5 years based on the annual increase, but considering you could see the whole park in a day with normal crowds and a touring plan, I'm not sure what paying all that extra money would do, maybe being able to ride things 5+ times in a day?

Please don't take my post as a criticism for how you spend your money since who am I to tell you how to spend your money, I'm just trying to understand how you believe it would be worth that much.

Yes even with moderate crowds I could see the whole park in a day... but I couldn't ride every ride I wanted to and even if I tried I would have to be on bit of a Bataan death march schedule to do it. I also hate crowds. As I stated for 750 a day I would expect to be able to walk on at will and would also go less often. Frankly if I went on one trip paying 750 a day and went two days it would cost me less than it currently does when I go for a week.

Because I wouldn't need 6 nights in a Disney resort. I could simply spend 1 night. And when a Deluxe is costing around 400 a night, eliminating 5 nights would be saving of 2,000 on the room alone. When I add in the fact that a 7 day pass is $300, spending two days in a part for 1,500 is only 1200 more which means that for a family of 4 the total increase in park cost is only 4800 less my 2000 saving on fewer nights and its only 2800 more... If I then knock out the saving on 5 days of over priced food in Disney I no longer pay for I'm probably down to a total cost increase of less than 2,000 for the family or 500 a person more than I now pay... And if it eliminated the crowds and gave me access to every ride when I wanted it that would be more than a good deal to me.

Kristoff

Yes even with moderate crowds I could see the whole park in a day... but I couldn't ride every ride I wanted to and even if I tried I would have to be on bit of a Bataan death march schedule to do it. I also hate crowds. As I stated for 750 a day I would expect to be able to walk on at will and would also go less often. Frankly if I went on one trip paying 750 a day and went two days it would cost me less than it currently does when I go for a week.

Because I wouldn't need 6 nights in a Disney resort. I could simply spend 1 night. And when a Deluxe is costing around 400 a night, eliminating 5 nights would be saving of 2,000 on the room alone. When I add in the fact that a 7 day pass is $300, spending two days in a part for 1,500 is only 1200 more which means that for a family of 4 the total increase in park cost is only 4800 less my 2000 saving on fewer nights and its only 2800 more... If I then knock out the saving on 5 days of over priced food in Disney I no longer pay for I'm probably down to a total cost increase of less than 2,000 for the family or 500 a person more than I now pay... And if it eliminated the crowds and gave me access to every ride when I wanted it that would be more than a good deal to me.

Thanks, that makes it perfectly clear now and I appreciate your thorough explanation. It makes sense when you put it that way. I had assumed when I first read your post that nothing would be different (attraction or crowd wise) from today just a price increase.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I've posted the following comparison a couple times. One more time isn't going to hurt ...

In the spring of 1983, I purchased a 3-day park hopper ticket for $35 (including tax), about $82 today. Minimum wage was $3.35/hour meaning (excluding taxes) it took less than 11 hours of work to pay for that ticket.

Yet somehow the Disney company with $1B in annual revenue managed to invest $1.9B in EPCOT and still keep prices reasonable.

Today, a 3-day hopper costs $341.87, or about 47 hours of work at today's minimum wage of $7.25/hour.

Alternatively, adjusted for inflation, the price of a garden wing room at the Contemporary in the 1970s & early 1980s was less than the price of a Value Resort rack rate room today.

Or, if those are too "ancient history" for some, when first introduced in 2005, a 7-day MYW base ticket cost $199. In 2013, that same ticket costs $309, an increase of about 55%. For comparison, median household income has increased about 12% over the same period.

Time and again, Walt Disney emphasized providing his customers with value.

Iger's and Rasulo's greatest legacy is pricing families out of WDW.

I understand that. Clearly in all my previous post I said I agree about Disney's price increases being insane. However, the question was asked if today's college students could afford to go and the answer is yes.
I'm a student, I live off campus and pay bills (rent, car payments, tuition, and etc.) I work full time, I coupon and save money to make it to Disney every year. My friends and older sisters are current students and/or recent grads. They travel all the time. They go everywhere from London to Jamaica, Vegas, Mexico, and etc.
And NONE of us come from money, we come from places like Trenton, NJ & the Bronx. We are frugal with our money and it allows us to spend when we really want to.

So again, college students can afford to go to Disney. And yes, the price is too high for what they offer.

Last edited:

PrincessNelly_NJ

yes!! Yes!! YES!! - National Geographic Channel - Where YOU too can watch the inspiring, the educational..."Alaska State Troopers", "Locked Up Abroad", and "Drugs Inc" !!

Don't even get me started on the crap they show on TV !!!
I was joking... watching TV is hardly a replacement for learning.

rael ramone

If you willingly pay the prices they charge, and plan to again, in effect, it is worth it (even if it is to please other members of your family/travel group and not yourself).

Does that mean that it is still 'worth it' to some of us mean that the park as it is currently priced (with the huge dropoff in cleanliness & maintenance, the shuttering of attractions and the dropoff of food quality inside the parks, and a business model where hotel managers can't provide proper guest recovery because the computer program that governs the process was written by members of the Ferengi Alliance, as well as other things that can be read about across many other threads) matches the 'value' that the park of the past provided where, among other things, it was the standard bearer when it came to cleanliness for a public business and a Future World that had a multitude of attractions that were both Aspirational as well as Accessable - at a much lower price point?

As a result some of us have moved on to other adventures. Others (like me) still have a net 'positive' experience, but take it one trip at a time - the upcoming trip has to sell us on making another one.

I've been wondering if many of the emerging markets currencies losing value vs. the US dollar will reduce the South American tourist regiment - meaning they'll have to find someone else to take their place to maintain their margins.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I understand that. Clearly in all my previous post I said I agree about Disney's price increases being insane. However, the question was asked if today's college students could afford to go and the answer is yes.
I'm a student, I live off campus and pay bills (rent, car payments, tuition, and etc.) I work full time, I coupon and save money to make it to Disney every year.

I'm curious.. what's your Disney budget look like each year if you don't mind me asking..

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
No Tim Cook is getting crap for not being Steve Jobs and also not putting out a new product that is revolutionary. Just new iterations of the same thing.
You mean the same way MagicBand is just another iteration of the "Key to the World" card?

Or the same way FastPass+ is just another iteration of FastPass?

Or the same way Journey of the Little Mermaid in the "New" Fantasyland is just another iteration of the exact same attraction at Disneyland?

Or the same way that Tron Track is just another iteration of Test Track?

Or the same way that Star Tours II is just another iteration of Star Tours I?

Honestly, I don't know how anyone can think WDW has stagnated. :rolleyes:

DisneyJoe

The below chart compares the price of a 1-day WDW ticket with the opening day ticket price adjusted per the Consumer Price Index (CPI). Other WDW ticket types show similar price trends.

So can anyone point me to a similar chart for football event prices, rock concert prices, etc?

I'd love to compare.

Thanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom