Out of control WDW ticket prices

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Stop with the universal nonsense. I'm not a uni fanboy although they are doing great things. I rate Wdw against their legacy and other WDPR units

My apologies to you. I just am really getting tired of all the people on this site that just enjoy complaining about Disney. When someone talks about something Disney is doing right, it is not good enough for them and the person saying it is a "pixie duster". I have never written much on this web site, but I feel that the negative is getting out of hand and I am going to start calling it out where I see it.

Tonka's Skipper

What most of us 'doom-n-gloomers' want is a return to the quality seen in the 1990's and early nought's, At least that's what I want personally. I have not been to UNI since 2003 when I was there for a corporate event so for me at least its not UNI == Good, Disney == Bad

Fair enough, and as I have said I am not totally pleased with WDW today! Iger has let things fall.

As to Riverside I liked it better then 6 flags, it was a nice old fashioned park, like Playland, Rye, New York.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Fair enough, and as I have said I am not totally pleased with WDW today! Iger has let things fall.

As to Riverside I liked it better then 6 flags, it was a nice old fashioned park, like Playland, Rye, New York.

Riverside has not changed much under 6 Flags, Maintenance has gotten better and there are new coasters for the adrenaline junkies but it still has a nice feel about it, Personally I prefer Canobie Lake smaller more intimate park with lots of of old school attractions.

asianway

My apologies to you. I just am really getting tired of all the people on this site that just enjoy complaining about Disney. When someone talks about something Disney is doing right, it is not good enough for them and the person saying it is a "pixie duster". I have never written much on this web site, but I feel that the negative is getting out of hand and I am going to start calling it out where I see it.
There is an arm snapped off of one of the tiki room drummers-how does that even happen let alone be allowed to be considered show ready? Things are bad

crispy

There is an arm snapped off of one of the tiki room drummers-how does that even happen let alone be allowed to be considered show ready? Things are bad

That was totally planned! It's not broken - they purposefully created a one-armed drummer to make disable guests feel more comfortable! I think it's wonderful how Disney creates these special touches! How dare you be critical and call that bad show??!!!??

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I once snorted pixie dust, too!).

Disneyhead'71

There is what has been eating at me recently when it comes to this web site. You no longer enjoy going to Disney World, great but you do not have to try and force your opinions on everyone else. I like both Universal and Walt Disney World, but I think Walt Disney World has more to offer for what I pay for my annual pass. Still you do not find me on a Universal Web Site telling everyone there that they are wrong going to Universal. Please go there have fun but don't treat others like they do not know what they are talking about.
My initial, rather pointed comment was a response to someone implying that Universal fans aren't bright or sophisticated enough to "get" WDW. All Universal is about is running from roller coaster to roller coaster. And WDW is, 'Oh, so much more than that!' I was simply pointing out that, while I really enjoy what Universal is doing, I "get" WDW. I have been going to WDW since 1971. I have stayed at The Poly ('71, '79, '06), the Contemporary ('73, '75, '77, '80), Tent camped at FW ('82, '88), lived in Orlando ('93-'95, '09-present). I took my family to The Disneyland Resort 3 times in '01/'02. We stayed at The Grand Californian twice and The Disneyland Hotel once. I even took my family on a Disney Hotel Inspiration/National Parks of the West Tour where we stayed at Old Faithful Inn (inspiration for The Wilderness Lodge), The Ahwahnee (inspiration for The Grand Californian) in Yosemite, and The Hotel del Coronado (inspiration for The Grand Floridian). I have done DCL. Hell, my screen name is Disneyhead! I "get" Disney.
Something is wrong in the swamp if I would rather fly the family from Orlando to Disneyland before I would pay money to go to WDW 12 miles from my house.

To put it in perspective, the last E-Ticket they built at The MK was opened 4 years before my oldest daughter was born, she goes to college this year. The last E-Ticket they built anywhere on property opened 3 years before I moved to Orlando. I have been here almost 5 years.

But my major point was, when confronted with "Uni fans don't "get" WDW". NO! Disney fans DON'T "get" Universal. Universal is NOT all about thrill rides. I don't recall any Over The Shoulder Restraints on the massage table the last time I was getting a sugar scrub @The Mandarin Spa at Portofino Bay. I didn't have to make ADRs 180 days out for my birthday dinner at Palm@Hard Rock Hotel. And I won't have to wait 3.5 years for an expansion announced 2 years ago.

Bottom line, I am tired of the "dusters" lecturing us Universal fans on the lofty virtues of WDW when TDO has turned the showcase of ambition into little more than a strip mine for personal profit. I remember when WDW was the largest, most expensive construction project on the planet. I was at the MK 2 months after it opened. I was there for the opening of EPCOT Center. Does anyone think that today's TDO would take on a project of that scope? One resort in Orlando is shooting for the moon. The other is counting pennies.

Last edited:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

Wouldnt the better option be to start your own site where you can ban anything not frothing at the gash in favour of your multinational corporation of choice. Funnily enough zealots and bigoted extremists seem to favour silencing alternative view points too.

jaklgreen

My initial, rather pointed comment was a response to someone implying that Universal fans aren't bright or sophisticated enough to "get" WDW. All Universal is about is running from roller coaster to roller coaster. And WDW is, 'Oh, so much more than that!' I was simply pointing out that, while I really enjoy what Universal is doing, I "get" WDW. I have been going to WDW since 1971. I have stayed at The Poly ('71, '79, '06), the Contemporary ('73, '75, '77, '80), Tent camped at FW ('82, '88), lived in Orlando ('93-'95, '09-present). I took my family to The Disneyland Resort 3 times in '01/'02. We stayed at The Grand Californian twice and The Disneyland Hotel once. I even took my family on a Disney Hotel Inspiration/National Parks of the West Tour where we stayed at Old Faithful Inn (inspiration for The Wilderness Lodge), The Ahwahnee (inspiration for The Grand Californian) in Yosemite, and The Hotel del Coronado (inspiration for The Grand Floridian). I have done DCL. Hell, my screen name is Disneyhead! I "get" Disney.
Something is wrong in the swamp if I would rather fly the family from Orlando to Disneyland before I would pay money to go to WDW 12 miles from my house.

To put it in perspective, the last E-Ticket they built at The MK was opened 4 years before my oldest daughter was born, she goes to college this year. The last E-Ticket they built anywhere on property opened 3 years before I moved to Orlando. I have been here almost 5 years.

But my major point was, when confronted with "Uni fans don't "get" WDW". NO! Disney fans DON'T "get" Universal. Universal is NOT all about thrill rides. I don't recall any Over The Shoulder Restraints on the massage table the last time I was getting a sugar scrub @The Mandarin Spa at Portofino Bay. I didn't have to make ADRs 180 days out for my birthday dinner at Palm@Hard Rock Hotel. And I won't have to wait 3.5 years for an expansion announced 2 years ago.

Bottom line, I am tired of the "dusters" lecturing us Universal fans on the lofty virtues of WDW when TDO has turned the showcase of ambition into little more than a strip mine for personal profit. I remember when WDW was the largest, most expensive construction project on the planet. I was at the MK 2 months after it opened. I was there for the opening of EPCOT Center. Does anyone think that today's TDO would take on a project of that scope? One resort in Orlando is shooting for the moon. The other is counting pennies.

I like Universal well enough but my experience with them was a bit disappointing compared to WDW. When we went my kids were still smaller and we were limited on the rides/attractions that we could do. Uni does have more "thrill" rides then family ones like WDW. Also I thought the theming was not as good as WDW. Also, for us, it is not just the rides that make a WDW trip magical, it is everything about it. Being able to actually relax and not worry about a thing the second we step off of the plane in Orlando. I don't mind that they do not put new attractions in every other year(Uni does not even if you think about it). I think that is expecting the unrealistic. If you think about the scope of just the daily upkeep of such an enormous place it is staggering. I think if someone likes Uni more then WDW then great, go there. I am not going to slam Uni just because I think that they could do something different. I really do not understand why some people have such a hate for Disney. It's an amusement park, if you don't like it don't go. Why would it get under your skin so much.

Cesar R M

No one here has the capability to force their opinions on anyone else. We are all free to ignore any threads or members that bother us.
Which something DVCOwner can do, yet..he does a nonstop defending Disney.. in a way that would make the Disney or Apple PR Teams jealous. Jimmy included too.

Almost feels certain people think their opinion is more valued and important than those who have complains.

What most of us 'doom-n-gloomers' want is a return to the quality seen in the 1990's and early nought's, At least that's what I want personally. I have not been to UNI since 2003 when I was there for a corporate event so for me at least its not UNI == Good, Disney == Bad

agree.
There are many people happy with the new things Disney brings, like the new festival of fantasy which is looking awesome ( a thread you clearly ignored completely to try to push your pro-disney propaganda against people who have or had issues in WDW. Aka your "pixie duster!" excuse.).
What people are complaining; are the reduction of many things that were already part of Disney and they were removed due of "executive balancing". And not putting new things in place. ( Which is a load of BS considering how much money WDW and Disney earns.)
They seem to be removing more than they add yet prices go up.

This multiplied by googolplex!!! Just because someone touts one brand over another, it doesn't make them a fanboi of said product.
For some people, seems having a complain suddenly marks you as a "hater" or "uni lover" it seems.
It still surprises me how defensive some people get when you complain regarding the mighty Disney Parks.
Do these people get paid by Disney to guerrilla marketing this forum? ( I know Jimmy already claimed he had Disney stock..so theres his motivation) but other people? dunno.

I will find it laughable if someone dares try to belittle your opinion, complains or life experiences considering your huge experience in Disney.
So I thank you for your opinion.

Being a REAL FAN of something means accepting when something is going wrong and help them fix them.
denying them and going in denial is not helping anyone.
Worse when some people dare to think their opinion is superior because they are "bigger fans".

Wouldnt the better option be to start your own site where you can ban anything not frothing at the gash in favour of your multinational corporation of choice. Funnily enough zealots and bigoted extremists seem to favour silencing alternative view points too.
Agree!!!!, that behaviour he did show here.. just shows he as no open mind for alternative points of views or criticism. Denying everything doesn't help anybody.

Alternative points, talks, fun, rumors..etc.. makes a fan site.
While a site that only allows good points is either a PR machine or a zealot only site of the type of cults.

This site thrives for balance and I am very glad that mods also want a balanced discussion. Only getting in the fray if things get out of hand and/or personal.

I like Universal well enough but my experience with them was a bit disappointing compared to WDW. When we went my kids were still smaller and we were limited on the rides/attractions that we could do. Uni does have more "thrill" rides then family ones like WDW. Also I thought the theming was not as good as WDW. Also, for us, it is not just the rides that make a WDW trip magical, it is everything about it. Being able to actually relax and not worry about a thing the second we step off of the plane in Orlando. I don't mind that they do not put new attractions in every other year(Uni does not even if you think about it). I think that is expecting the unrealistic. If you think about the scope of just the daily upkeep of such an enormous place it is staggering. I think if someone likes Uni more then WDW then great, go there. I am not going to slam Uni just because I think that they could do something different. I really do not understand why some people have such a hate for Disney. It's an amusement park, if you don't like it don't go. Why would it get under your skin so much.
I dont think people "hate" Disney per se... or the parks.. CMS dont make such decisions, neither performers or workers...
They hate what the execs are doing with a wonderful place.. sinking what it was something incredible and cashing as much they can before people find out.
At same time the competitor is putting incredible effort into making their park better.

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
I dont think people "hate" Disney per se... or the parks.. CMS dont make such decisions, neither performers or workers...

They hate what the execs are doing with a wonderful place.. sinking what it was something incredible and cashing as much they can before people find out.
This.

What so many WDW apologists seem to miss is that WDW itself is a victim of decisions being made by Disney leadership to intentionally extract value out of WDW in order to maximize margins.

In some ways, WDW was my first love. I still remember the excitement among the kids in the neighborhood when we learned that "Walt" was going to build an "East Coast Disneyland". I still remember the disappointment each summer as others were able to make the trip, while I had to wait until I saved enough on my own so that I could afford to drive down with my brother & friends, sleep in a tent, and finally experience WDW.

To suggest that I or others like me don't absolutely love WDW is to completely ignore decades of devotion.

I started this thread using WDW ticket prices as one piece of evidence pointing to when WDW started to derail.

In my opinion, the data shows empirically what I've known for years. WDW started going in the wrong direction in the late 1990s and this simply has been accelerated under Iger.

It sometimes hurts to see something we love so much being treated so badly.

Tonka's Skipper

Riverside has not changed much under 6 Flags, Maintenance has gotten better and there are new coasters for the adrenaline junkies but it still has a nice feel about it, Personally I prefer Canobie Lake smaller more intimate park with lots of of old school attractions.

This is going off topic, but did you ever get to see Freedomland USA in the Bronx, New York?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom