Out of control WDW ticket prices

Prince-1

You mean the same way MagicBand is just another iteration of the "Key to the World" card?

Or the same way FastPass+ is just another iteration of FastPass?

Or the same way Journey of the Little Mermaid in the "New" Fantasyland is just another iteration of the exact same attraction at Disneyland?

Or the same way that Tron Track is just another iteration of Test Track?

Or the same way that Star Tours II is just another iteration of Star Tours I?

Honestly, I don't know how anyone can think WDW has stagnated. :rolleyes:

Sure...I'll go with that.

DisneyJoe

I suggest you look at rock star and players' salary to understand where your money is going. It's being invested back into the entertainment.

At WDW, it's going to pay a bunch of executives, none of whom I find entertaining.

I'm finding info now with some searches, it's not quite as cut and dry as that, as I am also looking at more non-traditional entertainment too.
I will let you know once my research is complete.

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
I'm finding info now with some searches, it's not quite as cut and dry as that, as I am also looking at more non-traditional entertainment too.
I will let you know once my research is complete.
If possible, please also try to take into account scalpers.

One of the biggest trends over the last few decades has been to raise direct prices in order to squeeze out the middle man.

Rolling Stones tickets used to have face values of $15-$20 back then but no one I knew actually was able to buy them for that price. ;)

P.S. I did get lucky once and saw U2 from about row 5 for $10, but that was before most people knew who they were. The hall only sat about 2000 and there were empty seats. :)

Last edited:

PrincessNelly_NJ

I'm curious.. what's your Disney budget look like each year if you don't mind me asking..
No I don't mind at all. We normally try to book during free dining or a bounceback with free dining, we stay at CSR for 7 days/6 nights - 8 day/7 nights, and get 4 day or 5 day tickets. Also we go in Sept. so we can get better pricing.

So with free dining, our trips normally cost us just over $2,200 for 8 days at CSR, tickets, and flights. We normally bring about $500 to spend or head over to UNI/IOA for a day.
So our total cost: $2,700. Per person $1,350

Without free dining, we don't stay as long and we skip UNI/IOA. So for 6 days at CSR is $900, 5 day tickets, flights, and $700 for food and spending.
Total cost: $2,300. Per person $1,150

Recent trips:

Last Sept I went with two friends, 8 days at CSR with free dining, flights, UNI/IOA one day tickets, and five day Disney tickets cost us $2,880 total. Per person $960* doesn't include spending money.

Without free dining... our upcoming May trip for example is what we consider a splurge as it is our anniversary. We rented points to stay at AKL for 8 days (which saved us an extra $100 vs staying at CSR with the current spring discount) and with 4 day tickets our cost was $1,925. Plus flights.We have estimated about $1,000 dollars for our food & tip cost (3 or 4 quick service meals, 8 sit down meals, which 3 are signature meals) and $700 for spending as well paying for a day at Typhoon Lagoon and a day at UNI/IOA.
Total cost: $3,825. Per person $1,912.50

We plan our trips our a year in advance, so it gives us time to save. I'm fortunate enough to work for a company that gives excellent bonuses that normally cover my half of the trip plus spending money. Or we use tax refunds or put money aside weekly. Our "splurge" trip worked out to less than $50 a week for 10 months each.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
Bon Jovi tickets in 1986 were $13.50, in 2013 they cost $85.00 and UP!
I was a big-time concert goer in the 1970s and 1980s.

Trust me, you couldn't actually get Bon Jovi tickets for $13.50 in 1986. We'd call and call and never get through. By the time we did, everything was always sold out. Bon Jovi hit it big in 1986 after the release of Slippery When Wet (I still have the CD from '86 and it still works; my teenage son listens to it from time-to-time!) and I think we ended up paying about $40 to see Bon Jovi in late 1986 or early 1987, and they were not very good seats.

Minimum wage was $3.35/hour so Bon Jovi was not cheap.

The concert ticket market was dominated by scalpers.

On the plus side, because we were very much into the music scene back then, we would go see up-and-coming musicians nearly every week and got to see a number of bands and solo artists at small to mid-sized venues before they hit it big.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

No I don't mind at all. We normally try to book during free dining or a bounceback with free dining, we stay at CSR for 7 days/6 nights - 8 day/7 nights, and get 4 day or 5 day tickets. Also we go in Sept. so we can get better pricing.

So with free dining, our trips normally cost us just over $2,200 for 8 days at CSR, tickets, and flights. We normally bring about $500 to spend or head over to UNI/IOA for a day.
So our total cost: $2,700. Per person $1,350

Without free dining, we don't stay as long and we skip UNI/IOA. So for 6 days at CSR is $900, 5 day tickets, flights, and $700 for food and spending.
Total cost: $2,300. Per person $1,150

Recent trips:

Last Sept I went with two friends, 8 days at CSR with free dining, flights, UNI/IOA one day tickets, and five day Disney tickets cost us $2,880 total. Per person $960* doesn't include spending money.

Without free dining... our upcoming May trip for example is what we consider a splurge as it is our anniversary. We rented points to stay at AKL for 8 days (which saved us an extra $100 vs staying at CSR with the current spring discount) and with 4 day tickets our cost was $1,925. Plus flights.We have estimated about $1,000 dollars for our food & tip cost (3 or 4 quick service meals, 8 sit down meals, which 3 are signature meals) and $700 for spending as well paying for a day at Typhoon Lagoon and a day at UNI/IOA.
Total cost: $3,825. Per person $1,912.50

We plan our trips our a year in advance, so it gives us time to save. I'm fortunate enough to work for a company that gives excellent bonuses that normally cover my half of the trip plus spending money. Or we use tax refunds or put money aside weekly. Our "splurge" trip worked out to less than $50 a week for 10 months each.

now that's what I call excellent planning!
Rip off! I was able to get two tickets(terrace level at FedEx Forum)to see Elton John for like $80 after tax.
thats a very good price.. despite my country's lower income.. entering the Elton John concert was the equivalent of 250 USD for the far far away zones.. and almost 500 USD for the ones infront.

draybook

now that's what I call excellent planning!

thats a very good price.. despite my country's lower income.. entering the Elton John concert was the equivalent of 250 USD for the far far away zones.. and almost 500 USD for the ones infront.

Good Lord, what country are you in?

Cesar R M

I'd pay those $500 to not have to see Elton John.
in before
Tq5EigA.gif

sorry. had to XD

Polydweller

I suggest you look at rock star and players' salaries to understand where your money is going. It's being invested back into the entertainment.

At WDW, it's going to pay a bunch of executives, none of whom I find entertaining.
I always find it interesting when people make a statement about the money going to executives without finding out the figures involved. If they did they would realize how insignificant Disney executive pay is. At approx $60 million in executive pay on revenue of about $42 billion, executive pay is about 0.15 % of revenue. Executive pay has a trivial impact on bottom line and trivial impact on the ability to invest revenue back into the company and parks.

So, let's come up with something else to use as an argument in these kinds of thread. Those figures are easily searchable online.

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
I always find it interesting when people make a statement about the money going to executives without finding out the figures involved. If they did they would realize how insignificant Disney executive pay is.
TWDC has approximately 160,000 employees yet you're focusing on a handful. Respectfully, I think you're confusing my use of the term "executive" with "senior management" or "executive management".

draybook

I always find it interesting when people make a statement about the money going to executives without finding out the figures involved. If they did they would realize how insignificant Disney executive pay is. At approx $60 million in executive pay on revenue of about $42 billion, executive pay is about 0.15 % of revenue. Executive pay has a trivial impact on bottom line and trivial impact on the ability to invest revenue back into the company and parks.

So, let's come up with something else to use as an argument in these kinds of thread. Those figures are easily searchable online.

Cardinal Health had a revenue of 101.09 billion dollars for 2013 but the CEO, George Barrett, still cleared roughly 12-15 million bucks for the year. Does that mean I can't think that he's overpaid while us hourly workers are underpaid?

Polydweller

TWDC has approximately 160,000 employees yet you're focusing on a handful. Respectfully, I think you're confusing my use of the term "executive" with "senior management" or "executive management".
Well, executive is a specific meaning. But regardless, top management compensation throughout the company added together isn't significant against $43 billion revenue. The data is out there.

Polydweller

Cardinal Health had a revenue of 101.09 billion dollars for 2013 but the CEO, George Barrett, still cleared roughly 12-15 million bucks for the year. Does that mean I can't think that he's overpaid while us hourly workers are underpaid?
Never made any comment about whether they are overpaid or not. Regardless of that, the amount simply doesn't make any argument regarding ticket prices. The compensation simply is too trivial against $43 billion to matter.

As for whether it's an appropriate level, that really would fit in its own thread about how the Disney company determines it's compensation levels.

draybook

Never made any comment about whether they are overpaid or not. Regardless of that, the amount simply doesn't make any argument regarding ticket prices. The compensation simply is too trivial against $43 billion to matter.

As for whether it's an appropriate level, that really would fit in its own thread about how the Disney company determines it's compensation levels.

No, this is a thread about financial matters at Disney, it fits just fine here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom