One Day-One Park ticket $71!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhyteAL

As florida resident the pricing will increase also...to me this is getting out of my price range for my family. You see we usually go to Disney and stay on property, go to a couple of theme parks, and brake the bank on food and shopping. At such a high ticket price I would most likely have to either forgo staying on property or shorten my stays. It would be to much money to stay on property and ticket prices for all of us. Sorry this would limit my visits to Disney to maybe every other year or less...I hope this goes well for them but most likely this is going to hurt local attendence levels. :(

sbkline

To the question, "who pays for a single day admission anyway?" I answer: many people, especially those who are casual visitors to the Magic Kingdom (usually the ones who call it "Disney World"), most of whom are first-timers.

I would also answer the question by saying "people like myself". I am a total Disney World junkie and would be happy vacationing there every year if I could. But last year, the wife wanted to do something different, since we went in '04 and had planned to go back this year. She thought it would be nice to visit Texas, so we did. That was to be our primary vacation for that year. However, we only took a week instead of the two weeks we had taken in Florida, and we were pretty much done midway through the week. Having an extra week of time and extra money (sightseeing in Texas is alot less $$ than theme parking it in Florida), we planned to do a little extended weekender in Florida. Visit my aunt and the beach and go to Downtown Disney and EPCOT, then head home. So we purchased one day tickets to EPCOT and went there and got to try out that new Soarin' ride.

So, to make along story short, people who make one day visits would include people such as myself who have to get in a quick "fix" until their next big trip. People who don't have the time or money to make a whole vacation out of it, but miss it enough just to go down for a few days, do a park and then head home. So like I said earlier, next year, we are going for 6 nights, but are getting the 10 day parkhopper passes with no expiration option, so that we will have 4 days left to use on any future trips, getting us in for less than $40 a day, prepaid. Say we want to go down there for a week or so and do Sea World and Bush Gardens. We can throw on a day at Magic Kingdom or EPCOT at no extra charge, as it is already prepaid.

MissM

To the question, "who pays for a single day admission anyway?" I answer: many people, especially those who are casual visitors to the Magic Kingdom (usually the ones who call it "Disney World"), most of whom are first-timers.

While many of us on this board have long been "regulars" who understand WDW as a RESORT, most of the world still likens it to Disneyland in Florida, and gets their first (and sometimes only) chance to visit, as a day visitor on a larger Florida visit, either on vacation or visiting relatives -- when they take a day and "go to Disney World" (or sometimes "Disneyland") with the family.

And I would dare to guess that MOST members of this board (at least from the U.S.) had their first view of WDW in exactly that way -- in a day visit to "Disney World" (MK).

I can remember it plain as day. The ride on the monorail to get there. Looking down on the guests eating at the Contemporary. Riding past the "Hawaiian" hotel and hearing about the luau...

What I am trying to say is that the day visitor rate is the main entry point for most families and youngsters. And it just saddens me to see it become so alarmingly expensive. I know lots of people who only have time or care enough to go for a day or two. But this price (especially when Universal offers such amazing specials as they sometimes do) would keep some of those least able to afford it away... for an entire childhood.

I would like to see off-season rates and specials for the day visitor.

But either way, the day visitor is important. It's how most of us get our first glimpse...

Paul
Thank you. I am forever trying to explain that these price hikes utterly exclude the casual visitor, but no one seems to realize that is as much a valid customer as the AP holder.

Even I as an avid fan have bought my share of 1-day tickets because the budget can't often support $400+ for two seasonal AP's in a lump sum like that. And though I'm a passholder right now, another friend of mine likes Disney but is way more casual about it. He'd go a couple times a year without problem - but not at $70-odd dollars for one day. (More to make it worthwhile and be park hopping!) Someone like my mom would enjoy going but she's disabled and can't make a 12-hour day out of it like I can, so spending that much for one day wouldn't be worth it to her.

And I know everyone keeps going on about the prices of other types of entertainment. But not everyone does that. I don't go to NFL games, or concerts. The first because I don't like football, the second because they ARE too expensive. Not everyone in the real world can afford Broadway shows, opera, sports events, concerts and such every month. I don't know anyone who does something big like that more than once or twice a year - if that.

Not every market segment needs 10-day MYW tickets. But everytime they raise the one-day price AND the one-day parkhopper upgrade, they zero out an entire market. A lot - and I do mean LOT - of Florida residents never go to Disney because they perceive it to be just too damned expensive. And you know what? Now it is. That casual customer isn't going to spend $71 a person (+ $9 parking let's not forget) just to go check it out for a day.
-m

sbkline

I guess there is a valid point being made about casual visitors who aren't interested enough to invest in a 10 day ticket with NE option, and are therefore discouraged from visiting on a one time basis because of the price. I suppose the high price probably does discourage one day visitors and, perhaps, that is the intent as another poster explained yesterday.

But for those of us die hard fans who will make one day trips just to get our fix, as well as the full blown vacation, I encourage you to get the 10 day pass no matter how many days your initial vacation is for. If you have the money to spend on a resort stay, with dining plan, with tickets, then it probably isn't going to be that much of a problem to go ahead and get a 10 day pass with NE. My total came up to $2,540.42 when I booked yesterday. About $310 of that was the cost of the NE option on our 10 day passes, plus whatever small difference there is between a 10 day pass and a 6 day pass. So, say, $340 (just a guess) extra for that, but compared to the $2,200 it is already costing us, it's a rather small amount. Sure, it's costing a little extra now, but I look at it as either pre-paying four 1 day trips in the future for only $36.50 or so per day (as opposed to $70 or so dollars, or more depending on what they raise them to in the following years) or pre-paying a shorter resort stay sometime in the future. Either way, we're prepaying future visits at half price or better, such that we free up more money on those future trips.

As a family of six , this price increase made me take a hard look at the finances for my family. The increase may seem llike a small amount but when is it enough. If I pick a dollar amount that will be our vacation and the price keeps inching up each time, for our family the visits won't be as frequent. We drive 18 hours to Disney to save on travel costs and then have the use of our car. We have had annual passes and look forward to any chance that we can to get to Disney but this has made me stop and think.

As to the comparisons to other entertainment venues, Are they frequent repeat events? Six flags is about 2 hours away and we went years ago. No desire to return. Concerts, once in a blue moon and really not frequent repeat events. It you were at Madonnas concert, would you have the same desire to go back in six months. We pick new vacation spots each year, the shore, the cape, the mountains. We were at Disney one year ago and are returning and tried to return six months ago.

Disney really wants you to come and stay, play and dine all inside their boundaries. Disney WANTS and relies on repeat "guests". The repeat "guest" is really the key to their success.

Nemo14

I guess there is a valid point being made about casual visitors who aren't interested enough to invest in a 10 day ticket with NE option, and are therefore discouraged from visiting on a one time basis because of the price.
But for those of us die hard fans who will make one day trips just to get our fix, as well as the full blown vacation, I encourage you to get the 10 day pass no matter how many days your initial vacation is for.
That's fine if you have the $$$ to initially pay for a 10-day pass. But the average casual visitor in all likelihood does not have that kind of "expendable" cash on hand, particularly if you're buying tickets for a family of 4 or more..

Javier Boughton

I have to travel from Monterrey, Mexico. Its either a 5 hour flight, or 3 days by car.

So its a very big deal for us ....and even with this small price increase, it hasnt even crossed my mind to stop going..

Seriously people...its 4 more dollars per person...

Change restaurants at lunch time...stop at a mcdonalds for breakfast, or stay in a hotel that includes breakfast.

A lot of people are posting that they are re-considering traveling to disney...I do think that everyone here spends more money on more stuff that we really dont need...

And since I NEED my Disney fix from time to time...4 bucks is nothing.. (and they are 4 in my family)

RedBaron

I have to travel from Monterrey, Mexico. Its either a 5 hour flight, or 3 days by car.

So its a very big deal for us ....and even with this small price increase, it hasnt even crossed my mind to stop going..

Seriously people...its 4 more dollars per person...

Change restaurants at lunch time...stop at a mcdonalds for breakfast, or stay in a hotel that includes breakfast.

A lot of people are posting that they are re-considering traveling to disney...I do think that everyone here spends more money on more stuff that we really dont need...

And since I NEED my Disney fix from time to time...4 bucks is nothing.. (and they are 4 in my family)

I was thinking the same thing, its $4? If I can afford $67 then I can afford $71. Im sure the majority of the people in the parks are there for several days and are using multi day passes which cost less per day. I still cant think of a better deal than the one they advertise on TV all the time. "Family of 4 for a week for $1500. I dont think my husband and I alone have been on a vacation that cheep. Sure you have to add on air fare or driving expenses and hotel depending on how far you live from the parks, but still a great deal in my mind. Also it is not like they force you to buy a bunch of stuff once you get to the parks, no one holds a gun to your head forcing you to buy tee shirts and stuffed toys.

niteobsrvr

I don't want to seem harsh but if 4 dollars per person is breaking the bank, then a Disney Vacation every year probably isn't the best choice of expenditures for that financial situation. It may be that one needs to visit every 2 to 3 years or every 10 years as I did before I moved to Florida. Each of us has to make prudent financial decisions for our own situation. As has always been the case in the USA, we are entitled to what we can afford. If coming to Disney every year is a necessity, then it may be necessary to look at other things in our life and how necessary they are to have.

For Disney, every guest who passes through the gate has a dollar amount attached to them. This number is the sum of all the money they expect you to spend in the park that day on admission, food, and merchandise. It is the combination of these three things that represent Disney's true cost of operating plus a profit. If the business wasn't ran this way, the actual price of passing through the gate would be astronomical. If 4 dollars per person is a hardship then I would venture to guess that any additional spending in the parks is also limited thus changing the pricing model.

LilRoo714

All the discussion of buying 10-day park passes far in advance makes me laugh a little because that's exactly what Disney would like you to do in light of increased prices. They would rather you buy that big pass now so they get your money right away, rather than buying a one-day pass on this trip, then a few months later another one-day pass... etc. It's always better for the company to get your money secured in one shot rather then them hoping you actually do return for that next trip, whenever it may be. :rolleyes: (Even if it means you're coming into the park for $35-40 a day rather than $71.) That next $71 is not in their pockets, but the $$ from the 10-day pass would be.:p

Javier Boughton

i can not believe that many of you are reconsidering going to disney...

as I stated before...we waste a lot o money in things we dont really need throughout the year (and inside the parks too!).

stop complaining...save a quarter a day and go to WDW..

bjlc57

think about this...

one of you just paid $2500 for WDW tickets and lodging..

But this doesn't cover your food, travel expenses, any sort of buying to, from and in the parks, or any sort of OUTSIDE expenses.. like a different theme park or what not,, Nasa or a day and night on the beach....

$2500 just as a BASE.. your final figures have to be close to $3000 minimum if not much higher..

$3000 for your stay at Disney.. this isn't the WALDORF ASTORIA.. this is ORLANDO... where its getting to be tough just going downtown..

Others mentioned $1500.. think about that.. thats lodging and Tickets only for a family of 4.. how much do you spend on food per day? toys and trinkets PER DAY?

again your final figure is far from $1500.. completely different..

and if you are covering all the costs, ,meaning that no one else is kicking in, how does that affect your family budget the rest of the year..

if you are making $40,000 per year, can you afford 8 or 9% of your income on just DISNEY?

and $40000 above the average family income in this country.. most have about $35-37000 per year...

these are real numbers folks..

and Disney is not looking at people who make this type of money any more.. its for all those who make more then $40000 per year.. in fact WDW is really looking at those who make $50,000 per year.. and some of those people spent 10% of their wages at WDW per year. .

and its very easy to give WDW $5000. very easy and you won't be staying at the prime stuff either..

WDW is like going to Las Vegas.. except you have NO chance of getting your money back..

rwa2204

If you look at the lack of quality of any other non Disney park you will realize that $71 is a reasonable price to pay. Disney does not force anyone to go to their parks. If you don't like the price stop complaining and just don't go. It's that simple.

The price hike is simply Disney deciding that since the other parks are charging $71 now we can also. Because millions of people are still going to go to their parks no matter how much they charge. People will still pay.

Disney is a corporation lets not forget that. They are only out for the almighty dollar just like every other corporation or company in the world. Just because they are disney don't fool yourselves into thinking they are any different. They are not.

If you don't like the price hike just don't go!

bjlc57

for those who say Don't Go...

How many of you are the BREAD WINNER OF THE FAMILY?

are you getting to go for FREE, or do you pay the bills..

because if you actually pay the bills, you would be singing a different tune..

JimboJones123

All I know is that if we drive to Sea World or Universal, and enjoy a sit down meal, tix, parking, and counter service on our next trip, it will cost around $300 for the day. Our Disney trip for 11 days w/food tix AND LODGING is $1700. Minus lodging, that comes out to about $90/day. Compared to $300 a day, Disney gets my money all 11 days this trip. A visit to Shamu would be fun, but not worth the cost. Disney is too good of a deal! Besides, out of pocket food is cheaper at Disney too.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I continue to be confused by this discussion. A trip to Disney (for non-locals) is a luxury. It is not meant, nor ever has been something for everyone to do. Just look at the constant sales and expansion of DVC...obviously there is money available for a large number of people.

When I hear of complaints with restaurant prices....it is the same as when we go out here...granted, we don't go out 7 days a week. Even a couple of pizza's on Friday night is $20-30. Airfares used to be $59 or so one way...are we close to that anywhere? Others have given the price of tickets to baseball, football, broadway and the like. A trip for five to the movies is $40-50 plus snacks if you get them. A basic beach house here starts at about $3,000 per week...no food, no laundry, no AC, no beach badges.

If you are careful, you can do Disney on a budget, and tickets along with a stay at All Star and limited dining can be done relatively cheaply. Speaking of hotels....where can you stay any cheaper than All Star with the discount...it is about the same as Quality, Hampton Inn and the like. With the dining option of $35/day, you can eat better than you can anywhere else for that.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know of any other recreation that I feel I get as much for the money as I do at Disney.

sbkline

one of you just paid $2500 for WDW tickets and lodging..

But this doesn't cover your food, travel expenses, any sort of buying to, from and in the parks, or any sort of OUTSIDE expenses.. like a different theme park or what not,, Nasa or a day and night on the beach....

I'm the one who said $2500 and, actually, that does include food...at least at WDW. That figure was including the cost of the dining plan. Of course, like you said, there is still the cost of gas to drive from Illinois and back, as well as the cost of lodging on the way down there and back (since the wife put her foot down and said no more driving straight through! LOL), and the cost of eating on the way down there and back, as well as the cost of any other activities which we may do, although in our case, it is almost exclusively going to be Disney. We will probably play mini-golf in Kissimme as always, and do the Florida Mall in Orlando and, possibly try to squeeze in Univeral or Busch Gardens, but that's about it on non-Disney stuff.

But I agree with the others who say that $4.00 really isn't that much...especially since most of us get raises every year. So four dollars higher on a ticket compared to, say, 40 cents extra per hour on every paycheck throughout the year, really isn't that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom