One Day-One Park ticket $71!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teenchy

In the last year I have spent approximately the following on tickets.....

$100ea for a Broadway show

$75-$150ea for concert tickets

$12-$40ea for baseball tickets (MLB)

$85-$250ea for NFL tickets

and $10-$12ea for a lot of bad movies (Of course not POTC or Cars)

And although I enjoyed many of these events.......

I would gladly pay the $71 for a day at WDW compared to all the others. Luckily we have AP, so in the long run it cost us less than the $71 this past year.

Tramp

If I were a Disney exec sitting in my plush Anaheim office reading the support or justification for a price increase in this and other forums, I'd be planning another real soon. :animwink:

MonkeyHeadCup

If this keeps some people away - maybe that's good. I would gladly pay more to experience less crowds there... and this way Disney gets to keep thier profits without trying to find a way to cram even more people into the place...

350ceo

With this annoucement my balance due for my November trip just jumped a whopping $9. Not bad at all for a 7 day 6 night trip. It really is just the one day passes that are hit the hardest. Although I'm a bit annoyed at the timing since I was paying off my trip with my next paycheck on August 17th!!! Oh well rules are rules

sbkline

Obviously, I'm not crazy about this price hike, but I figured I'd still be coming out ahead on future trips if I buy the 10 day parkhopper with no expiration option for my trip next year. Even at 155 dollars for the NE option, that puts the total ticket at 365-370 dollars, which comes up to about 37 dollars per day, which is about half of what the one day admission now is. So, we'll go next year for 6 days, possibly 7, and have 3 or 4 extra days to use on future vacations for half price...or even better than half price if prices go up on subsequent years, which they probably will.

sbkline

With this annoucement my balance due for my November trip just jumped a whopping $9. Not bad at all for a 7 day 6 night trip. It really is just the one day passes that are hit the hardest.

Well, add the price hike on the no expiration option as well. For a 10 day pass, the NE option jumped 55 dollars, it would appear. Oh well, as my previous post shows, it's still a heckuva bargain.

Boray

Obviously, I'm not crazy about this price hike, but I figured I'd still be coming out ahead on future trips if I buy the 10 day parkhopper with no expiration option for my trip next year. Even at 155 dollars for the NE option, that puts the total ticket at 365-370 dollars, which comes up to about 37 dollars per day, which is about half of what the one day admission now is. So, we'll go next year for 6 days, possibly 7, and have 3 or 4 extra days to use on future vacations for half price...or even better than half price if prices go up on subsequent years, which they probably will.

We did exactly this last year (I know, before any 2006 price hikes...) but it allowed us to go this year because we have 5 days (with park hopping) left on our passes for use this year. You just have to do a little planning ahead, be willing to pay for the non-expiring option and the price increases don't seem that bad.

prberk

To the question, "who pays for a single day admission anyway?" I answer: many people, especially those who are casual visitors to the Magic Kingdom (usually the ones who call it "Disney World"), most of whom are first-timers.

While many of us on this board have long been "regulars" who understand WDW as a RESORT, most of the world still likens it to Disneyland in Florida, and gets their first (and sometimes only) chance to visit, as a day visitor on a larger Florida visit, either on vacation or visiting relatives -- when they take a day and "go to Disney World" (or sometimes "Disneyland") with the family.

And I would dare to guess that MOST members of this board (at least from the U.S.) had their first view of WDW in exactly that way -- in a day visit to "Disney World" (MK).

I can remember it plain as day. The ride on the monorail to get there. Looking down on the guests eating at the Contemporary. Riding past the "Hawaiian" hotel and hearing about the luau...

What I am trying to say is that the day visitor rate is the main entry point for most families and youngsters. And it just saddens me to see it become so alarmingly expensive. I know lots of people who only have time or care enough to go for a day or two. But this price (especially when Universal offers such amazing specials as they sometimes do) would keep some of those least able to afford it away... for an entire childhood.

I would like to see off-season rates and specials for the day visitor.

But either way, the day visitor is important. It's how most of us get our first glimpse...

Paul

TakeMe2TheMagic

As AP holders this will not affect my husband and I. Even if it did it would not keep us away :animwink: I highly doubt it will effect attendance.

gregburg

As AP holders this will not affect my husband and I. Even if it did it would not keep us away :animwink: I highly doubt it will effect attendance.

Yeah, but your AP price just went up too. I'm just happy that I ordered my AP's a couple weeks ago. It saved me almost $200 overall since I bought them for my family.

At first I didn't think much about it until I realized the increase in the AP was pretty big. But then I thinking about it more, we get two trips out of the AP's which gets our daily cost down around $20, plus we got some really-really good discounts.

I don't know if it is mentioned earlier in the thread, but I'm sure Disney is taking a hit on fuel costs which was a contributing factor to the increase in the ticket prices.

Last here are some ideas on how to make up the difference in cost (that I will be doing :)):
  • Drinking fountains (or a cup of water) rather than bottled water. I can't believe that I spend a buck on a water bottle and don't complain about it. It's just water! (this is while at home, not just at WDW).
  • Cutting back on Starbucks (and I live in Seattle!).
  • A couple less pins at the parks.
  • Sack lunch a few more times a week.
  • etc...

The above will easily cover the increase in cost for this year. I'll have to start thinking about next year though :veryconfu

-Greg

Being a wdw cp alumni, I do have some to say about this. First, I feel that it's very pricey for the normal family to go to WDW for a family vacation. This increase only shows that the company is out for more profit than pleasure. I know that is the business way, but for a company who deals with the consumer so heavily, this is only there to hurt the average customer.

Secondly, why? I know stocks and business are down, but putting an increase in entrance sales alone is going to push pople away. I love WDW, do not get me worng, and I enjoy going with every chance I have; but increasing the park ticket, though some may feel will generate a substantial profit, will turn many who want to share in the magic away.

I too am a WDW CP alumni and I have to ask, what is/was your major? I hope not business, because everything you have just said makes little/ no sense from the "business" type standpoint you are taking. First, I want to say I don't believe that the raise in ticket prices is good (I love to visit WDW and this increase only makes it harder for me), but I do not believe Disney is doing it just for "profit". With that being said I'd like to point out that we can't forget that gas costs over $3 a gallon now, electricity is going up, as well as other resources needed to run the parks. They need to pay for management of the parks, resorts, cast, and guests. I'm not saying that some of the $$ isn't profit, but consider that at least some is going toward running the parks.

Hopefully they will use this $$ to make WDW better for the future (new rides, attractions, rehabs, etc).

aroyston

Original Poster
greg,

those are all good points, but they don't help people that already do all of those things to be able to afford a trip there.

:brick:

Nemo14

To the question, "who pays for a single day admission anyway?" I answer: many people, especially those who are casual visitors to the Magic Kingdom (usually the ones who call it "Disney World"), most of whom are first-timers.

While many of us on this board have long been "regulars" who understand WDW as a RESORT, most of the world still likens it to Disneyland in Florida, and gets their first (and sometimes only) chance to visit, as a day visitor on a larger Florida visit, either on vacation or visiting relatives -- when they take a day and "go to Disney World" (or sometimes "Disneyland") with the family.

And I would dare to guess that MOST members of this board (at least from the U.S.) had their first view of WDW in exactly that way -- in a day visit to "Disney World" (MK).

I can remember it plain as day. The ride on the monorail to get there. Looking down on the guests eating at the Contemporary. Riding past the "Hawaiian" hotel and hearing about the luau...

What I am trying to say is that the day visitor rate is the main entry point for most families and youngsters. And it just saddens me to see it become so alarmingly expensive. I know lots of people who only have time or care enough to go for a day or two. But this price (especially when Universal offers such amazing specials as they sometimes do) would keep some of those least able to afford it away... for an entire childhood.

I would like to see off-season rates and specials for the day visitor.

But either way, the day visitor is important. It's how most of us get our first glimpse...

Paul
Good point Paul.
Another 1-day visitor who will probably not go back again is my mother. She lives about 1/2 hour away, so when we go, she usually likes to tag along for a day with us. Although she is a FL resident, at 86 years old, she doesn't go to WDW often enough to make a pass worthwhile, so she used to just get a 1-day hopper just to spend time with the grandchildren. She is quite independent, and would never let us buy her ticket, but I know that she cannot afford this on her income. I think we'll take her to SeaWorld instead.

Javier Boughton

I thinks everything comes back to the running costs of the parks..

Gasoline, gas, electricity, water, etc, etc...WDW I think consumes more energy than a small city..

so lets help them out with 4 additional dolars...

If you were planning on purchasing a coke/ice cream inside...skip one, and you will not feel the difference.

aroyston

Original Poster
true but how many ice creams and basic things that make the theme park experience great can and will people give up to allow them to visit, you can only say i'll give something up so many times before there is nothing left.

niteobsrvr

Yeah, but your AP price just went up too. I'm just happy that I ordered my AP's a couple weeks ago. It saved me almost $200 overall since I bought them for my family.

At first I didn't think much about it until I realized the increase in the AP was pretty big. But then I thinking about it more, we get two trips out of the AP's which gets our daily cost down around $20, plus we got some really-really good discounts.

I don't know if it is mentioned earlier in the thread, but I'm sure Disney is taking a hit on fuel costs which was a contributing factor to the increase in the ticket prices.

Last here are some ideas on how to make up the difference in cost (that I will be doing :)):
  • Drinking fountains (or a cup of water) rather than bottled water. I can't believe that I spend a buck on a water bottle and don't complain about it. It's just water! (this is while at home, not just at WDW).
  • Cutting back on Starbucks (and I live in Seattle!).
  • A couple less pins at the parks.
  • Sack lunch a few more times a week.
  • etc...

The above will easily cover the increase in cost for this year. I'll have to start thinking about next year though :veryconfu

-Greg

Also, don't forget the high cost of housing in Central Florida. When I moved here 6 years ago, you could get a nice house, not far from Disney, for around 95,000. It seems most new subdivisions going up today are starting around 400 thousand. The add in the association, community development and tax fees. The median price here is around 230 thousand, I believe. Imagine what that median price was 6 years ago. LOL, a one bedroom condo in Celebration was 80 grand.

It may not be as expensive as say the northeast or California but we are certainly closing the gap. That has a real effect on Disney's bottom line as they try to attract management and employee talent who are demanding ever high pay rates to cover the new cost of living here.

Shortly, Disney World and its unions will be negotiating the next three year contract agreement. The current one should expire in April of 2007. I imagine the emplyees are going to demand a hefty wage increase especially if congress manages to increase the federal minimum wage.

bjlc57

I am wondering if WDW is going too far...

It seems to me that the EISNER ERA still reigns at WDW..

I am shocked that WDW would raise the price again..

Right now it costs my family over $1500 for a three day trip to Disney..

we have cut costs as far as we can..

some one else stated that it now takes a loan to just to come to WDW for a four day trip..

We didn't go to DISNEY again this year because of the price of gas, and now with the price increase, no matter how little, it makes it that much more diffecult..

WDW is at the point where it could change the way it is set up..

One it could stop progressing..

Two it could cut back on costs..

three it could be remained just for the ultra elite..

But if WDW policies continue on their current road, WDW will soon be out of reach for the average person to vacation at..

its obvious that the spirit of Eisner still remains..

brich

Simple...when people can no longer afford to go to WDW, then they have overpriced their product. So long as we continue to go, the demand is there and they can charge what they like. It may not be a popular thing to do but raising ticket prices is a direct reflection of attendence being up and rising as well as increased costs. :animwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom