One Day-One Park ticket $71!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpongeScott

WDW is selling a product, and they will charge whatever the traffic will bear. I've seen the rates go up and up since I started visiting almost 25 ago, but except for immediately post 9-11, so have the numbers of guests. The parks are more crowded year round than I've ever seen them, and when I started, there was only MK and Epcot, Downtown Disney, MK resorts, and Tree House Villas.

So obviously people are willing to pay big bucks to visit. It's not as if a trip to WDW is essential to life; I lived for over 30 years without one. :lol:

You may not LIKE the price increase, but until the day when enough people decide that it isn't worth the money anymore, WDW will continue to raise prices.
very well said. :wave:

Scooter

I understand price increases...raises for employees, costs of electricity, gas, maintenance...blah blah blah..yadda yadda yadda...

What I DON'T understand is why they have to raise prices twice a year.
I remember back in the good old days when companys raised their prices every two or three years.

It's getting more difficult for myself and my family to afford these prices and we may have to start going other places on our vacations.

I don't know many people who get a 10 to 12% increase in pay every year.

I dread the day when we can no longer afford our Disney World vacations, but I see it coming.:cry:

You know it comes to a point where you have people that cant afford it and you will out price the market to an extreme. I think they are starting to reach that peak in the market. It wouldn't be bad if gas prices in America didn't kill people and company's paid their employee's what they were worth, but they dont. I think all the theme parks need to take a look at Cedar Point they lowered prices and brought tons of people in this year. Again it will come to a point where the market will bust and people will say screw it its not worth it and I for one see that happening in the not so far off future.

I mean heck its not like Disney isn't raking in the money. Just look at Pirates 2 gosh 300 million and climbing, Cars 200 million and climbing. They are not hurting. I will say though to the person that was talking about Six Flags not to even bring up those crap shack parks. As far as I see it when Snyder took over and jacked up prices on parking and food and other things so much in one year he shot himself in the foot, leg, hip, side, arm and neck all at one time. Atleast Disney has the common sense that if they raise prices its small increases over time.

In closing do I think the prices are getting crazy yes, will I stop going at this point in time, Probably not but thats all depending on my income and what all my bills and debt are at the time I deside I want to go again.

Craig & Lisa

It’s really about perspective. When I think about going to an amusement park I think $50 per ticket. When I see $71 I think way too much money. Then I start to compare it to other entertainment.

Here are some examples.

Sherly Crow\John Mayer - $66
Aerosmith\Motley Crue - $125
Rolling Stones - $165
Any Football Game Around - $79
Blue Man Group - $74
Stomp - $100

Then add another $10+ for service charge. I would most likely pick a day at WDW over any of the above events.

Think about this, in the NYC area Madonna had a concert, tic's were 300.00, and she had Madison Square Garden turn off the AC so she could be comfortable while on stage, while everyone else in the crowd was a sweaty mess. Now I can't speak for everyone else but, first off as far as I'm concerned, no entertainer is worth that much. And even less if I had to endure being that uncomfortable just so "Miss priss" feels relaxed on stage. Then you have to realize that that much, ENJOYMENT lasts 2 hours, where as WDW for most lasts for at least 4 days for most that is. Even a round trip plane ticket costs less than that and that lasts longer too, just alittle venting. 18 days and counting for our 2nd visit this year, not soon enough!!! :sohappy: Then another one in Nov. that still isn't soon enough. :D

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Craig & Lisa said:
...she had Madison Square Garden turn off the AC so she could be comfortable while on stage...

It can get pretty darn cold on that stage.

LudwigVonDrake

Just to put it into perspective....

Six Flags Great Adventure here in NJ no costs $59.99 + tax!!!
That $60 bucks buys you admission to a dilapidated park with rides that are practically never open, horrendous food, dreadful entertainment, and really poor treatment from employees.

I will GLADLY pay the extra $11 to go to a park that is spotless, well maintained, decent food, fabulous entertainment, and has some of the best CMs around.

I agree. I went to Six Flags Great Adventure a couple of weeks ago and thank God we had the 2 for 1 deal. Kingda Ka was never open that day, the park is dirty, barely any of the queues have shade, and I had what I consider to be the WORST hamburger I have ever attempted to eat. :hurl:

For a few bucks extra, I'll go to WDW... :D

psifreek27

my parents refuse to go to disney anymore, because they say it's too expensive to pay for the same stuff year after year...in my fathers words..."maybe if they had like a bunch of completely new rides....but everything there never changes...so whats the point..." i on the othr hand slightly agree...

sorry but 71 bucks is wayyy toooo expensive for a theme park where you will only spend way more money after u get in.

AEfx

I keep seeing the "$71!!!!" everywhere, but usually failing to note that very few people are actually going to pay that price.

In fact, Disney ticket prices have gone down considerably for many people since MYW was introduced because they aren't forced to pay for extras they don't want (park hopping, water parks, and no expiration used to be built in to the price and you had no choice but to pay for all of them if you wanted a 7-day pass).

I just got an 8-day pass with park hopping for $253 yesterday, and the price is $265 today. That's tweleve bucks, or about $1.71/day difference. However, even if I paid the "new" price of $265, I'm only paying a little more than $33/day. That's certainly not $71.

So yes, for the very few people who buy 1-day tickets, the price is going up. For everyone else, it's not the biggest deal. Even the $20 increase on an AP isn't terrible when you consider what you get.

That said, when I talked to a CM at CRO this morning even they were surprised about the increases, twice in one year. It's tough to budget for a family to go to WDW unless you are pretty wealthy, but most visitors don't need things like no-expiration and Disney no longer forces it on you. Overall, for most typical visitors, ticket prices have actually gone down - no longer are people paying $350 for a 7-day ticket with features they will never use, which was the only choice besides the very pricey "length of stay" passes available to package purchasers.

AEfx

Shaman

WDW is selling a product, and they will charge whatever the traffic will bear. I've seen the rates go up and up since I started visiting almost 25 ago, but except for immediately post 9-11, so have the numbers of guests. The parks are more crowded year round than I've ever seen them, and when I started, there was only MK and Epcot, Downtown Disney, MK resorts, and Tree House Villas.

So obviously people are willing to pay big bucks to visit. It's not as if a trip to WDW is essential to life; I lived for over 30 years without one. :lol:

You may not LIKE the price increase, but until the day when enough people decide that it isn't worth the money anymore, WDW will continue to raise prices.

Exactly...WDW is a business after all...

I just hope people DO stop coming...that way I have more room to walk at the parks...:lookaroun

Scooter

my parents refuse to go to disney anymore, because they say it's too expensive to pay for the same stuff year after year...in my fathers words..."maybe if they had like a bunch of completely new rides....but everything there never changes...so whats the point..." i on the othr hand slightly agree...

sorry but 71 bucks is wayyy toooo expensive for a theme park where you will only spend way more money after u get in.

This is a great point!
A wise friend of mine calls The Disney Company geniuses because:
" You're basically paying a large admission fee to get into a Shopping Mall"

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This is a great point!

Wow, I take it he's a real theme park aficionado. :rolleyes:

Anyway....how many people buy a one day ticket anyway?

New2WDW

I have not read thru all these posts but I know why the price increase occurred.................

they have to pay the price tag for all the million dreams they are going to give away!:lol:

jcc0621

This is a great point!

Oh my GOd, my husband says the same exact thing. He goes because he knows I am such a Disney nut. If I wasn't he would never go. :lookaroun

The other thing to keep in mind is that as soon as Disney reaises their prices Sea World and Universal won't be far behind.

5 DAYS TO GO:sohappy:

Pongo

Anyway....how many people buy a one day ticket anyway?

I'm thinking that this price hike is really only going to affect all the locals (like me). They're really the only ones who buy single day passes, unless they have an AP (which, I do. So this doesn't affect me at all :lol: )

Craig & Lisa

Oh my GOd, my husband says the same exact thing. He goes because he knows I am such a Disney nut. If I wasn't he would never go. :lookaroun

I guess if you want to keep going you'll have to stay married. :animwink: Everyone on here has basically said the same thing, who buy's a one day ticket?? :veryconfu Also my wife and I are glad we bought AP's, this way we really have no price increase, that is until we renew them. And that won't be until next year, in the meantime we go for our 2nd and 3rd visit this year and save soooooo much because of them. Overall You see their logic, to get people to buy multi-day and save, I mean how hard is that? 18 days and counting for our second visit this year, NOT SOON ENOUGH!!! can't wait, can't wait!! :D :D :sohappy:

niteobsrvr

I wonder if Disney has reached a point where they are experiencing a diminishing return on investment?
Business often looks at the cost to produce a unit of product. There comes a point where the next incremental unit actually decreases profit instead of increasing it. In other words, 1000 widgets cost x amount to produce and result in y profit, but at 1001 widgets y becomes a smaller number.

In Disney's case, a widget is a guest passing through the gates. There has to be a point where the next guest actually costs more than the guest before him or her. For example, as the parks become more crowded other guests tend to spend less time in the parks. Naturally, the less time in the parks, the less money you spend. Disney has recongnized this fact for years thats why creating other on property entertainment venues and lodging become priority. That level of investment can't continue forever though without reaching a point that is no longer as profitable as it was before.

What does all of this have to do with admission prices? Well, one simple way to decrease the number of guests in the park is to discourage them from coming through pricing. As someone said, a single day admission price is more likley to affect locals. For the length of stay people, the magic your way program creates a good value and encourages more spending on property. The length of stay people then get to experience slightly less crowded parks.

Disney World depends on the length of stay destination visitors to fill the coffers not the one day visitor. Disneyland on the other hand depends on the one day local type crowd to fill theirs thus the pricing difference.

This might all be over analyzing but it is also quite feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom