Oct 1st - special surprises at MK?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
That's what really surprised me Steve. With the rest of the lackluster or lack of money spending that went on from TDO for the 40th. I would have thought the Pyro Team would have been BEGGING for a chance to blow one out of the water for the 40th...even it was just for 3-5 mins after Wishes. With the tech they have and the amount of those they already have programmed, I bet they could have pulled something pretty awesome together.

Like I said earlier, I wasn't expecting much, just feel like it was a missed opportunity.

Yep I'm sure Brad and team were hoping they could have produced a tag for the 40th as they did for Epcot's 25th.

Jakester

Think of this, How many days out of the entire year do they offer Permiter fireworks during NORMAL HOURS ?? Only during the 2weeks of christmas and July 3rd and 4th, even then, if your a seasonal you can't experience permiter fireworks for free (not counting the areas outside Magic Kingdom, and unless you attend Magic Kingdom July 3rd), where if your an annual passholder, you can see the permiter fireworks in Holiday Wishes during the busy christmas season.

The only other time recently that they did permiter during regular hours where summer nightastic.

So in a way, we were treated, for free, with permiter fireworks added during Wishes, Without having to pay $60 for a ticket to MNSSHP and MVMCP

WDW1974

I don't doubt that they do, and I bet that they could have made an absolutely incredible show if given the chance on Saturday. From the business side though, I understand why it didn't happen.

I understand it too. They want to spend the absolute least they possibly can. ... But I don't agree with it. And I was 200 miles away and never intended on being there.

I often wonder why TDR can celebrate every anniversary (not just the every decade or every 5-year variety) but things like the 17th ... and the 23rd and 26th with special merchandise and new parades and shows etc ... and they don't lose money doing it. And then I realize that here it is just pure unadulterated greed and an audience (largely) willing to accept whatever product they toss out as 'Disney quality'.

How much extra $$$ did Disney make on 'special 40th' merchandise bought at ridiculous prices by ODC fanbois? I'll bet in one day there was enough to put on one helluva pyro show for one evening.

Like many other people, I would have loved to see more that day but I didn't go there expecting anything more than it was. I think that those who were disappointed in the day were people who expected Disney to really give them something big when all indications pointed otherwise. My biggest disappointment of the day were some of the incredibly rude "fans" who believed that this day was for them. The sense of entitlement among some people that day was pretty bad.

Well, it was crystal clear exactly what Disney was offering, so no one should have been surprised. Disappointed, perhaps.

As to the 'fans' you speak of, all I can think of is Disney is getting exactly what it has coming to it with its social media efforts and hyping things with the fan community and webmasters/bloggers/podcasters who feel they are de facto employees of TWDC and act out accordingly (or simply praise everything so they can be flown to Hawaii for five days or put up at the GF for a week and then given a cruise etc). That mentality that you described never existed to any large degree until the explosion of FB, Twitter and people starting Disney lifestyle sites to get in on the action.

I love watching it because it truly is a trainwreck ... well, for everyone except the consultants who are making huge $$$ to direct the disaster.:eek::rolleyes::drevil:

boo52

Was pretty from the Totwl...but yes we were also like where is the 40th tag!??!!??

304793_2169523235373_1165493872_32153084_1081636563_n.jpg

This was HalloWishes not the 40th show. Everybody Screaaaaammmmm!!

menamechris

Think of this, How many days out of the entire year do they offer Permiter fireworks during NORMAL HOURS ?? Only during the 2weeks of christmas and July 3rd and 4th, even then, if your a seasonal you can't experience permiter fireworks for free (not counting the areas outside Magic Kingdom, and unless you attend Magic Kingdom July 3rd), where if your an annual passholder, you can see the permiter fireworks in Holiday Wishes during the busy christmas season.

The only other time recently that they did permiter during regular hours where summer nightastic.

So in a way, we were treated, for free, with permiter fireworks added during Wishes, Without having to pay $60 for a ticket to MNSSHP and MVMCP

They don't even do the perimeter fireworks for Holiday Wishes unless it is for the party anymore. So now, you have to either be there to see Fantasy In the Sky on December 30th or 31st, or 4th of July fireworks on July 3rd or 4th. And as someone who has stood in those crowds - it's barely enjoyable or even worth it...

Jakester

They don't even do the perimeter fireworks for Holiday Wishes unless it is for the party anymore. So now, you have to either be there to see Fantasy In the Sky on December 30th or 31st, or 4th of July fireworks on July 3rd or 4th. And as someone who has stood in those crowds - it's barely enjoyable or even worth it...

Really ??
I thought they did do permiter fireworks during regular hours.. You learn something new everyday

boo52

This was the 40th Show. I was standing right next to him when he took it.

I would double check the date it was taken. I can assure you that is not the product that was shot on the 40th. That is HalloWishes product. Also a give away is the color of the castle and the lighting on main street.

devoy1701

Is the picture bothering you guys that much? lol

sheesh..

You might be right, because most of the perimeters that were shot on the 40th had 2-3 shells coming from each launch site if I remember correctly. Bob was there all weekend so perhaps that is from the 30th and he didn't post the picture from the 1st.

Crazy... :lol:

Jakester

I would double check the date it was taken. I can assure you that is not the product that was shot on the 40th. That is HalloWishes product. Also a give away is the color of the castle and the lighting on main street.

It might not be the 40th, but it still gives you an idea how the permiter fireworks look from up there still....

Ive seen Wishes/Hallowishes from up there. (and IllumiNations)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's what really surprised me Steve. With the rest of the lackluster or lack of money spending that went on from TDO for the 40th. I would have thought the Pyro Team would have been BEGGING for a chance to blow one out of the water for the 40th...even it was just for 3-5 mins after Wishes. With the tech they have and the amount of those they already have programmed, I bet they could have pulled something pretty awesome together.

Like I said earlier, I wasn't expecting much, just feel like it was a missed opportunity.
They were begging for it. Both the day and night shows. Management said no.

Sadly the Mickey shells from the perims after the main show were fired but got lost in the smoke.

It was still a wonderful day. Personally on a par with Epcots 25th for the memories.

aladdin2007

They were begging for it. Both the day and night shows. Management said no.

Sadly the Mickey shells from the perims after the main show were fired but got lost in the smoke.

It was still a wonderful day. Personally on a par with Epcots 25th for the memories.

I think its time for TDO: Under New Management.

Jakester

I remember seeing the Mickey Shaped Fireworks launched around the permiter, they weren't hard to really see, or hard to miss.

was still a wonderful day. Personally on a par with Epcots 25th for the memories.

I will remember visting Magic Kingdom October 1, 2011. As i will also be there October 1, 2021 (and another day if they do some media thing).

meekoman

The surprise was that the line to buy a 40th pin was 40 minutes long.

Surprise!

40 minutes? You were lucky. I was in line for about an hour and fifteen minutes. Well, I take that back. I was in line for general merch for that long, and I was able to get a nice CM to get me a 40th pin while I was in another line to check out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom