Oct 1st - special surprises at MK?

JustInTime

Eh.... When Walt passed away in late 1966, the plans for the Florida property he had just bought looked nothing like what would be there on opening day five years later in 1971. Since they really didn't do much of what he had planned, I don't think he'd care much.

This photo was from Walt's Epcot '66 film he taped in mid October, 1966, less than 60 days before he died.

WALT%252BDISNEY%252B1965.jpg

You can view a much larger version here.... http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kcOhS_A3t.../W3E9z1fBqx0/s1600-h/WALT%2BDISNEY%2B1965.jpg

Behind him is a map of the "amusement theme park" northern section of his property. And the theme park is just a cut-and-paste map of Disneyland circa 1965, right down to New Orleans Square and the Matterhorn and Storybookland. Where Bay Lake is was a winding campground, and there's a whole bunch of master-planned motels where the Seven Seas Lagoon would end up going.

Walt was jazzed about the Florida Project because he wanted his city of the future; EPCOT. The theme park was just the weenie at the northern end of the property, and when he died he was content to just have it be a cut-and-paste clone of Disneyland circa '65. He hadn't even begun thinking of what to do with the theme park that would become The Magic Kingdom, or Magic Kingdom Park as it is now officially known. :rolleyes:
I am aware of the Magic Kingdom history. But even though he died, the Florida project was his baby. His dream pjoject. Even if it wasn't how he planned it. So I do think he would care about the way things are being done and handeled. It is, afterall, his name. And I feel like Meg gave the planners 100 bucks and told them to make it work. Then she showed up on the day of the celebration to admire her work.

Hey everyone,
Did anyone by chance get one of the Contemporary 40th anniversary buttons? A family we talked to before the fireworks said it was better then the magic kingdom one...but I never got around to stopping at the contemporary. I would love to at least see a pic of it, although if anyone has an extra, I would love one of them!

TropicalFig8

I had a wonderful time yesterday. I love the map and the button.

I was too far away to get any pictures and either someone's camera or head was in the way.

juan

I was a bit underwhelmed by the fireworks. Myself and others sat around after wishes waiting for some special 40th announcement, but then the lights came on. :(

Scuttle

That night had to be the most packed i have ever seen for wishes at magic kingdom, we were literally shoulder to shoulder, even getting in was very packed. Very busy, yet fun day at magic kingdom.

You should have seen the Polynesian beach! It was packed. You couldn't even walk on the beach with all the people and chairs. Food and Wine was insane as well.

thelookingglass

I was a bit underwhelmed by the fireworks. Myself and others sat around after wishes waiting for some special 40th announcement, but then the lights came on. :(
Same here. Couldn't they at least have included some sort of little tag? And the perimeter additions to Wishes were nothing special, either.

mickeysaver

For us, it was a good day at the parks, but if you ask me about the "celebration stuff" for us it was more or less a bust due to the crowds and family drama that we just could not escape even though we left them all 75 miles away. The best parts of our day were the magical meetings that our little one had with Tiana and with Duffy. The rest of it was ok.

Did not buy the t-shirt. Did not buy the cupcake. Was not able to buy any of the special pins. The only thing, other than food and drink, that we purchased was a Mine, Mine, Mine seagull shirt for the baby. The crowds at MK were really bad. The crowds at the F&W festival were pretty bad, though I have seen worse. We were going to stay for the fireworks at the MK, but family drama just sort of killed our evening and we were home by 10:30 PM.

I really hate it when reality violates my pixie dust. My SIL and partner's great grandmother are meaner than Cruella De Vil on steroids and crazier than a trip to Wonderland. GRRRRRR

TimeTrip

Was underwhelmed by the pyro, though I wasn't expecting much. They did perimeters added to the normal wishes (and actually did more than they normally do when shooting the perimeters, as in multiple shots from each perimeter launch) and went heavy on the finale. But there was absolutely no tag after the normal show. No commemorating the 40th. I think it was a missed opportunity.

Well that would explain why the closed the road at the contemporary. I had drive the long way to get to 535. I couldn't figure out why they would have done that if the park was normally open to midnight. Now I know.

Pioneer Hall

I don't blame them for not producing a special tag for the 40th. I can imagine that programming the pyro and creating music or narration is pretty expensive. Going through those lengths for something that is going to be used once wouldn't make much sense, and I understand why it wasn't changed. The perimeters were a nice touch, and honestly I didn't need more than that.

baanman

For us, it was a good day at the parks, but if you ask me about the "celebration stuff" for us it was more or less a bust due to the crowds and family drama that we just could not escape even though we left them all 75 miles away. The best parts of our day were the magical meetings that our little one had with Tiana and with Duffy. The rest of it was ok.

Did not buy the t-shirt. Did not buy the cupcake. Was not able to buy any of the special pins. The only thing, other than food and drink, that we purchased was a Mine, Mine, Mine seagull shirt for the baby. The crowds at MK were really bad. The crowds at the F&W festival were pretty bad, though I have seen worse. We were going to stay for the fireworks at the MK, but family drama just sort of killed our evening and we were home by 10:30 PM.

I really hate it when reality violates my pixie dust. My SIL and partner's great grandmother are meaner than Cruella De Vil on steroids and crazier than a trip to Wonderland. GRRRRRR

I have got to add the pixie dust phrase to my list of favorite , and useful, phrases.

KingoftheMooner

I know a lot of people were mad about how the pins were handled during the 40th. I got there around 3 PM (no wristband) and got the pins in an hour. I come back the next day and the pins were at the trading post with no line.:veryconfu

I went to the extra magic hour for the Studios. Rode ToT, RnR, GMR, ST x2, and TSM all before 12 P.M. (Toy Story was 60min at midday).

surfsupdon

The park was packed on Main Street waiting for the ceremony to start.

The rest of the park, up until about 11am, was EMPTY! We had ridden all the Mountains, Fantasyland stuff, Pirates and Mansion. Then the park was inundated, so we left and went back to Stormalong.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I don't blame them for not producing a special tag for the 40th. I can imagine that programming the pyro and creating music or narration is pretty expensive. Going through those lengths for something that is going to be used once wouldn't make much sense, and I understand why it wasn't changed. The perimeters were a nice touch, and honestly I didn't need more than that.

The WDW Pyro guys love to crack out a big show though.

Check this one out for a one-off
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Events/welcome-to-our-world/Video.htm

devoy1701

That's what really surprised me Steve. With the rest of the lackluster or lack of money spending that went on from TDO for the 40th. I would have thought the Pyro Team would have been BEGGING for a chance to blow one out of the water for the 40th...even it was just for 3-5 mins after Wishes. With the tech they have and the amount of those they already have programmed, I bet they could have pulled something pretty awesome together.

Like I said earlier, I wasn't expecting much, just feel like it was a missed opportunity.

Pioneer Hall

I don't doubt that they do, and I bet that they could have made an absolutely incredible show if given the chance on Saturday. From the business side though, I understand why it didn't happen.

Like many other people, I would have loved to see more that day but I didn't go there expecting anything more than it was. I think that those who were disappointed in the day were people who expected Disney to really give them something big when all indications pointed otherwise. My biggest disappointment of the day were some of the incredibly rude "fans" who believed that this day was for them. The sense of entitlement among some people that day was pretty bad.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
My biggest disappointment of the day were some of the incredibly rude "fans" who believed that this day was for them. The sense of entitlement among some people that day was pretty bad.

LOL yes I can well imagine. Unfortunately the internet has created some pretty big headed "fans" and bloggers who seem to think everything is about them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom