Nothing coming in 2010?

misterID

The problem with going years without ADDING anything significant and taking things away is eventually you have so many holes, you don't even know where to start.

WDW has focused itself on marketing celebrations/campaigns, replacing attractions with weaker ones, and building timeshares for many years.

So even when something substantial is added ... like say EE .... it is met with skepticism (not helped by the horrendous show quality).

But to have four parks and not add anything in them for years (attraction, show, parade, pyro etc) is pathetic. Nothing was added in 2009 except for AIE ... you could add the street party at MK (or did that start in 08?) ... but really ... four parks, nothing.

2010 ... same thing.

2011 ... maybe a few things LATE ...

And that's on the heels of years of neglect and years of parks not getting very much ... but I've said this all before.

If people plan a trip to WDW because Stanley is sponsoring construction walls ... or because a new pizza joint is opening at EPCOT ... or because the scripts are being tweaked on the JC, well ... more power to them.

Wow, great post.

And THE reason that no matter who is in charge that its going to take a long time before WDW is back to meeting its potential. That's awful news for EPCOT and AK :(

With the possibilities of additions to DHS and the overruling of TDO this makes me very optimistic.

RSoxNo1

Okay well, someone earlier said that if the little things don't get done you have Six Flags on your hand, but their CEO, a man called Mark Shapiro announced when he took over the company in 2005 that every park (and they have a quite a few parks) would be getting something new every year, and he kept that promise until the bankrupcy, and plenty of parks are getting new additions during the bankrupcy as well! So If Six Flags can continue to add new attractions while they are bankrupt, a company as successful as Disney Parks and Resorts, which absolutly RAKES in the cash for Disney, should be able to add something marketable to the top tourism destination in the world.

At least that's one industry watcher's opinion...

That's very short sighted. Six Flags Magic Mountain is a horribly run park. That being said, they crank out high quality roller coasters every year. The thing is, those roller coasters cost like $15 million each - more often than not they are buying off the shelf coasters that while thrilling are typically light on theming.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
That's very short sighted. Six Flags Magic Mountain is a horribly run park. That being said, they crank out high quality roller coasters every year. The thing is, those roller coasters cost like $15 million each - more often than not they are buying off the shelf coasters that while thrilling are typically light on theming.

Id rather a good ride experience than a fancy Q area where half the stuff never works.

NewfieFan

Id rather a good ride experience than a fancy Q area where half the stuff never works.

Touche! But I expect both from Disney... it's why I go there! I want a good ride experience but I like theming as well. The eateries, queues, characters, props, backdrops, etc. all add to the magic IMO! Disney stands above the rest b/c of their theming but there has to be substance too.

Deep down I kind of hope Disney does take a knock from HP! If that's the wake up call that is needed for Disney to step up their game.

Right now I love the new FL plans and I hope we get all that is planned! DHS needs something right now... I know it wasn't that long ago that we got TSMM but that was overdue! Epcot needs a new attraction in one of the countries. And AK could do with lots...

Pumbas Nakasak

Touche! But I expect both from Disney... it's why I go there! I want a good ride experience but I like theming as well. The eateries, queues, characters, props, backdrops, etc. all add to the magic IMO! Disney stands above the rest b/c of their theming but there has to be substance too.

Deep down I kind of hope Disney does take a knock from HP! If that's the wake up call that is needed for Disney to step up their game.

Right now I love the new FL plans and I hope we get all that is planned! DHS needs something right now... I know it wasn't that long ago that we got TSMM but that was overdue! Epcot needs a new attraction in one of the countries. And AK could do with lots...

Id imagine that is what the majority of those on this site would hope, but relating to the posts about limited finance, Id rather they spent money on something that I could experience rather than just look at.

RSoxNo1

How about ridiculously low capacity and 90 minute waits even on the quietest of days?

When you have less moving parts on the ride, it's a lot easier to get it all working. A static steal roller coaster has less moving parts than Expedition Everest - that doesn't guarantee a better attraction.

bstiles

How about ridiculously low capacity and 90 minute waits even on the quietest of days?

When you have less moving parts on the ride, it's a lot easier to get it all working. A static steal roller coaster has less moving parts than Expedition Everest - that doesn't guarantee a better attraction.

Right now it does.:animwink:

Pumbas Nakasak

No it doesnt, but sticking multi million $$ worth of themeing doesnt guarantee a good or popular ride either.

RSoxNo1

No it doesnt, but sticking multi million $$ worth of themeing doesnt guarantee a good or popular ride either.

From a marketing standpoint, comparing Disney World to Six Flags is idiotic. Look at California where they are in close proximity - Six Flags' competition isn't so much other theme parks but rather other similarly priced entertainment options. Knott's Berry Farm would fall into this category, but so would Zoos and restaurants.

Six Flags can't compete with Disney World on family entertainment because that's not who their parks cater to, they are catering to the teenage and young adult audience that is looking for thrills. Their attractions meet this need, and I will argue that as a thrilling Roller Coaster, X2 stands up against anything in this country.

However, when it comes to designing immersive experiences that please the entire family, Six Flags fails. That's not their fault - it's not what they're trying to do. For that reason, to compare them to Disney World is entirely unfair.

That's why you didn't see Disney responding to Rip, Ride and Rockit or Manta with a big mass of steel.

CBOMB

The problem with going years without ADDING anything significant and taking things away is eventually you have so many holes, you don't even know where to start.

WDW has focused itself on marketing celebrations/campaigns, replacing attractions with weaker ones, and building timeshares for many years.

So even when something substantial is added ... like say EE .... it is met with skepticism (not helped by the horrendous show quality).

But to have four parks and not add anything in them for years (attraction, show, parade, pyro etc) is pathetic. Nothing was added in 2009 except for AIE ... you could add the street party at MK (or did that start in 08?) ... but really ... four parks, nothing.

2010 ... same thing.

2011 ... maybe a few things LATE ...

And that's on the heels of years of neglect and years of parks not getting very much ... but I've said this all before.

If people plan a trip to WDW because Stanley is sponsoring construction walls ... or because a new pizza joint is opening at EPCOT ... or because the scripts are being tweaked on the JC, well ... more power to them.
It seems quite evident that you have completely underestimated the potential drawing power of a well themed construction wall!

Pumbas Nakasak

That's why you didn't see Disney responding to Rip, Ride and Rockit or Manta with a big mass of steel.

If you are saying that Disney target the family of the sub 12 age group Id agree, and I agree that great themeing can add to an attraction, however in recent times my perception is that the attractions have almost appeared secondary to the elaborate themeing, or worse still some attractions aren’t even worthy of a local amusement park far less WDW

But, there are two things, fan sites like this seem to have plenty of posts and reports with people who while still enjoying themselves are noticing declines in what Disney offers in its attractions.
I know that fan boys re unrealistic in their outlook so its more interesting when you visit non Disney general travel sites and look at the perceptions Disneys marketing has created, certainly there is a view in the UK that if you have teens etc the Orlando Flex ticket is a better option as theres more on offer at the other parks.
Now I know its not scientific but I was surprised that in a poll I saw that the MK was the least popular park because it was viewed as a kiddy park.

Mantas Q is pretty nice in my opinion, fits the ride without squandering millions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom