Nothing coming in 2010?

_Scar

And I asked you, what about it is marketable? What will draw new guests? these are all infrastructure things, for the most part. Things of necessity. You dodged my question.

:brick:

No- most of them aren't necesity. You've along with millions of others have learned to expect these little things because Disney does go that extra mile to also do the things you wouldn't see on a billboard or on a commercial to advertise some brand new E-ticket. When people see these nice things to make their stay nicer along with all the shows and rides it all adds together. It applies to every Disney resort, too- not just WDW. It all adds up to a very great vacation experience. And although it may not get people to come, it will keep them coming back.

Do you want to question me anymore, EE?

EPCOT Explorer

:brick:

No- most of them aren't necesity. You've along with millions of others have learned to expect these little things because Disney does go that extra mile to also do the things you wouldn't see on a billboard or on a commercial to advertise some brand new E-ticket. When people see these nice things to make their stay nicer along with all the shows and rides it all adds together. It applies to every Disney resort, too- not just WDW. It all adds up to a very great vacation experience. And although it may not get people to come, it will keep them coming back.

Do you want to question me anymore, EE?
Well, seeing that I am responding, it seems that yes, I do want to question you. :)

Not necessity? How are things like Maintenance and as you said "Transportation" not necessity? That's the Disney Standard. What they call the Disney Difference. You need that in the first place. I'm hardly excited about all these "touch up" refurbs (Castle, MSUSA, Moats) because they SHOULD be doing them. I expect them to keep their parks clean. I expect them to be making sure everything is neat, orderly, and show ready. I expect a Monorail to take me to the Magic Kingdom. Know why? Because Disney has done it, day in, day out, and spotlessly for near 40 years. Granted, the';ve slipped in the past few, but I expect them to sparkle. They've shown me that they can.

And WHILE they do all this...you know what else I expect? Something new! Something that is unique and marketable and something that will draw me to the resort this year. Do I expect a E-Tic? No. Do I expect something above the bare minimum? (which is what I think these past few marketing campaigns have been, to be honest.) Yes. they did it then, they can do it now.

So..._Scar. I ask you. Again: What is The Walt Disney World Resort doing in Orlando, Florida this year that's brand new? :)

The sad thing is, is that Disney still ropes people in on the "old" excuses. And that's all based on the Name Brand. Without that, and with this kind of management and lack of creative new things to draw people in, they'd be dead in the water.

RSoxNo1

If you are saying that Disney target the family of the sub 12 age group Id agree, and I agree that great themeing can add to an attraction, however in recent times my perception is that the attractions have almost appeared secondary to the elaborate themeing, or worse still some attractions aren’t even worthy of a local amusement park far less WDW

But, there are two things, fan sites like this seem to have plenty of posts and reports with people who while still enjoying themselves are noticing declines in what Disney offers in its attractions.
I know that fan boys re unrealistic in their outlook so its more interesting when you visit non Disney general travel sites and look at the perceptions Disneys marketing has created, certainly there is a view in the UK that if you have teens etc the Orlando Flex ticket is a better option as theres more on offer at the other parks.
Now I know its not scientific but I was surprised that in a poll I saw that the MK was the least popular park because it was viewed as a kiddy park.

Mantas Q is pretty nice in my opinion, fits the ride without squandering millions.

For what it's worth, I went to Six Flags Magic Mount in late May, and thought their coasters were awesome (I was somewhat underwhelmed by Terminator, but Tatsu and X2 were great). I'm really looking forward to experiencing Manta, and I definitely grasp the concept that thrills can make up for lack of theming. I also recognize that my parents will never experience some of these elaborate coasters. I recognize that when I have kids, it'll be years before they'll be able to experience some of these massive steel coasters as well.

The same certainly applies to Expedition Everest as well - but an attraction like that is worth my parents seeing at least once because there is an element of "the experience" that they're willing to try whereas with something like "The Hulk" or Dueling Dragons, what you see is what you get. Sure, nothing beats actually experiencing the roller coasters first hand, but when there's nothing else to see other than the thrills it's going to turn off some of the audience.

Disney hasn't added much in recent years, and I agree that there have been failures recently. I enjoy Expedition Everest, Soarin' and Toy Story Mania, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if the demolished Mission: Space tomorrow.

As for the lesser diversionary attractions, they needed to be treated as such. The Seas with Nemo and Friends, and Monster's Inc Laugh Floor are good C ticket attractions, and I haven't seen anything of their quality at a local amusement park.

Studios Fan

The problem with going years without ADDING anything significant and taking things away is eventually you have so many holes, you don't even know where to start.

WDW has focused itself on marketing celebrations/campaigns, replacing attractions with weaker ones, and building timeshares for many years.

So even when something substantial is added ... like say EE .... it is met with skepticism (not helped by the horrendous show quality).

But to have four parks and not add anything in them for years (attraction, show, parade, pyro etc) is pathetic. Nothing was added in 2009 except for AIE ... you could add the street party at MK (or did that start in 08?) ... but really ... four parks, nothing.

2010 ... same thing.

2011 ... maybe a few things LATE ...

And that's on the heels of years of neglect and years of parks not getting very much ... but I've said this all before.

If people plan a trip to WDW because Stanley is sponsoring construction walls ... or because a new pizza joint is opening at EPCOT ... or because the scripts are being tweaked on the JC, well ... more power to them.

Well said. With as much money as Disney makes they should be able to add something of significance (at least a C-ticket, preferably D or E) to at least one of the parks each year. As a twenty year old park DHS should have a lot more to do than it does and the same could be said for the almost twelve year old DAK.

Well, seeing that I am responding, it seems that yes, I do want to question you. :)

Not necessity? How are things like Maintenance and as you said "Transportation" not necessity? That's the Disney Standard. What they call the Disney Difference. You need that in the first place. I'm hardly excited about all these "touch up" refurbs (Castle, MSUSA, Moats) because they SHOULD be doing them. I expect them to keep their parks clean. I expect them to be making sure everything is neat, orderly, and show ready. I expect a Monorail to take me to the Magic Kingdom. Know why? Because Disney has done it, day in, day out, and spotlessly for near 40 years. Granted, the';ve slipped in the past few, but I expect them to sparkle. They've shown me that they can.

And WHILE they do all this...you know what else I expect? Something new! Something that is unique and marketable and something that will draw me to the resort this year. Do I expect a E-Tic? No. Do I expect something above the bare minimum? (which is what I think these past few marketing campaigns have been, to be honest.) Yes. they did it then, they can do it now.

So..._Scar. I ask you. Again: What is The Walt Disney World Resort doing in Orlando, Florida this year that's brand new? :)

The sad thing is, is that Disney still ropes people in on the "old" excuses. And that's all based on the Name Brand. Without that, and with this kind of management and lack of creative new things to draw people in, they'd be dead in the water.

Funny i dont see other parks doing what disney offers.

And if you need something new to go to the world, dont waste your money.
Save it for 2013 when you can go and see "all" the new attractions going to be offered.

It does take money to create attractions. Would you like them to put off the FL expansion?, the one you seem to be up on. Funny thing is if you got the big E attraction you wanted either this year or next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see you complaining about "cuts", or the horrible job imagineers did on the new fantasyland because they had to spend money on the new E ticket just to have something "new" and big every year. I love armchair ceo's and imagineers.

Little Green Men

While the litany of things ARE nice, I want to see how this, in the long run will add up to something bigger and better. Sans the beautifucation projects, those have been a long time coming.

Also...How can the market this? How can they make WDW appear fresh? I would ask about Cap't. EO, but the prospects look bleak.

You know what these are so I don't know why you're asking me, but okay here's some examples:

If you never got the refurb of HM, it would still be stuck in the 70's
World Showcase's little details and street performers would be outta here
No bus/boat transportation that makes life easier
No topiarys
Overgrown vegetation
No fixing broken effects like the Yeti
Updating worn effects that lost are out of date like Murphy

Want me to go on?
I think you two are having entirely separate conversations. I think Scar is trying to say that Disney pays more attention to detail than six flags does, and he is listing what they do. I don't think EPCOT_Explorer is talking about the small details. He is asking what Disney is doing significant that can be considered a reason to go to the parks for people who have been millions of times. I apologize if I'm wrong, but I think you guys might be talking about two different things.

_Scar

Your first paragraph sums up my previous post on how we expect the extra mile. Thanks.

And really? That's the question I ignored? At least read my posts. I celarly said read the list in the beginning of the thread that's almost quoted on every page and that's roughly what we know that's happening in 2010. And there's your answer. Surely you don't need me to get quote that list and tell you what's new and what isn't, but I wouldn't be suprised if you asked me.

:rolleyes:

EPCOT Explorer

Funny i dont see other parks doing what disney offers.

And if you need something new to go to the world, dont waste your money.
Save it for 2013 when you can go and see "all" the new attractions going to be offered.

It does take money to create attractions. Would you like them to put off the FL expansion?, the one you seem to be up on. Funny thing is if you got the big E attraction you wanted either this year or next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see you complaining about "cuts", or the horrible job imagineers did on the new fantasyland because they had to spend money on the new E ticket just to have something "new" and big every year. I love armchair ceo's and imagineers.

What are talking about when you say "offers"? Transportation and refurbished buildings, again?

Though I have these gripes with the World, I don't think it's a waste of money, but yes, after my June trip, I don't know when I'll be back. I do know that I have a date with Disneyland in 2012, though.

It takes money to do everything, and honestly, Disney can do it. Look at all the work that DL is getting! If they can do that there, they can do it here. I'm ready for it. And by work, I'm not talking about DCA. I'm talking about all the promos and unique things they always seem to be adding. (Like Haunted Mansion Holiday. Or Ghost Galaxy. Or Fantasmic's enhancements.)

And where did I say new and big? In fact I said the exact opposite. :wave:

EPCOT Explorer

Your first paragraph sums up my previous post on how we expect the extra mile. Thanks.

And really? That's the question I ignored? At least read my posts. I celarly said read the list in the beginning of the thread that's almost quoted on every page and that's roughly what we know that's happening in 2010. And there's your answer. Surely you don't need me to get quote that list and tell you what's new and what isn't, but I wouldn't be suprised if you asked me.

:rolleyes:

If you are complacent with that, be my guest, be complacent. It's mediocre, but go ahead.

Discontent is the first necessity of progress.
-Thomas Edison.

What are talking about when you say "offers"? Transportation and refurbished buildings, again?

Though I have these gripes with the World, I don't think it's a waste of money, but yes, after my June trip, I don't know when I'll be back. I do know that I have a date with Disneyland in 2012, though.

It takes money to do everything, and honestly, Disney can do it. Look at all the work that DL is getting! If they can do that there, they can do it here. I'm ready for it. And by work, I'm not talking about DCA. I'm talking about all the promos and unique things they always seem to be adding. (Like Haunted Mansion Holiday. Or Ghost Galaxy. Or Fantasmic's enhancements.)

And where did I say new and big? In fact I said the exact opposite. :wave:

Disneyland for the most part is not the destination that WDW. They need those overlays in order to draw in crowds. When I went to Disneyland this spring it seemed more like a "local" park more so than WDW. WDW is doing fine with crowds, and yes Disney has money but its all about budgeting. They have properties all over the world, and although there is some work that I would like to see done to WDW, its the least of the the Walt Disney companies worries, because it still draws in crowds.

And to answer the "offers". It offers the belief and understanding that I dont have to worry about cleanliness being an issue, the little things being fixed.
Your problem is like a spoiled kid that gets everything you dont realize what is being done you just expect something new. Im pretty sure that every year that the world has been open there hasnt been something new every year that as you say "Draws" in a crowd. Maybe you didnt exactly say an E ticket, but say for example a "new" restaurant, wont draw in crowds, or at least the crowds you would be expecting. They would need a major E or D ticket, to use it in marketing.

EPCOT Explorer

Disneyland for the most part is not the destination that WDW. They need those overlays in order to draw in crowds. When I went to Disneyland this spring it seemed more like a "local" park more so than WDW. WDW is doing fine with crowds, and yes Disney has money but its all about budgeting. They have properties all over the world, and although there is some work that I would like to see done to WDW, its the least of the the Walt Disney companies worries, because it still draws in crowds.

And to answer the "offers". It offers the belief and understanding that I dont have to worry about cleanliness being an issue, the little things being fixed.
Your problem is like a spoiled kid that gets everything you dont realize what is being done you just expect something new. Im pretty sure that every year that the world has been open there hasnt been something new every year that as you say "Draws" in a crowd. Maybe you didnt exactly say an E ticket, but say for example a "new" restaurant, wont draw in crowds, or at least the crowds you would be expecting. They would need a major E or D ticket, to use it in marketing.
What I bolded:

The only reason that belief runs like wildfire in Disney and in the Disney Fan Community is because some MBA put it in a power point. I could care less about crowds. I'm looking for quality.'

There has not been. I admit that. But there has to be something marketable to match the ongoing proliferation of quality in your parks. They did it in the 80's and mid 90's when they were slowing up on building things...

(Granted they did open a park in the middle, but MK? )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom